The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 November 2010, 02:25 AM   #31
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Wow - no way man. You need to own/wear what speaks to you and what you really want. Don't get rid of it because she says its too small. If you like it, tell her its your wrist. Most everything else you can share, compromise on. But you don't want to invest that money in what someone else thinks is a good size for you. If she really cannot live with that certain watch on your wrist you really gota wonder whats gonna pop up in your marriage that she is going to make you change.

I look at it like the dog discussion that many couples go through. I REALLY want, have to have a Great Dane at some point, and lets say your SO REALLY wants a poodle (god forbid). But, maybe there is a dog you're both OK living with, say a lab or a golden. Maybe there is a Rollie that you would love to have that she likes as well?

Hopefully you can resolve it such that you can wear what YOU want to wear and have a happy marriage going forward
I set a weight limit on our dog. Had to be over 60 lbs. My wife grew up with small dogs...now she will never go back...we have 2 big Labs...Pick your fights...
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 24 November 2010, 02:28 AM   #32
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I set a weight limit on our dog. Had to be over 60 lbs. My wife grew up with small dogs...now she will never go back...we have 2 big Labs...Pick your fights...
Nice! I love big dogs (hence my Great Dane remark - but I can understand if thats too big for some people. perfect for me @ 6'7 I think hah)
Old 24 November 2010, 02:36 AM   #33
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
If you really want the watch, keep it and tell her that youre sorry that she feels that way but this is the watch that you wanted, it's a beautiful watch and that you wouldnt dictate to her what shoes or bag to buy.

Calmly negotiate...it's a skill that youre going to need.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:36 AM   #34
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
If you like the watch, put your foot down and tell your fiancee that you'll handle your own watch buying.

That would be manly.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 24 November 2010, 02:43 AM   #35
gig

Watch: ss Sub date
If you are serious about flipping, better to use this forum and the 'for sale' section than ebay. That being said, this may be one small step in setting up boundaries on your personal choices. That's from someone who has been married for 24 years.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:43 AM   #36
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Best Compromise

Keep the Datejust.....

Add the SubC once you have the resources.
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Old 24 November 2010, 02:58 AM   #37
Paul B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Don't go there...
Maybe I'm just a bitter jaded old cynic, but this whole thing smells fishy to me...
Three days ago you're on here loving the watch to death, and now it's on Ebay since yesterday because the GF hates it? In other words you went from love to a fully prepared listing on Ebay in two days?

Just my .02 cents

Paul
Old 24 November 2010, 03:04 AM   #38
Cannop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I say flip it. The fiance not the TOG!
Old 24 November 2010, 03:07 AM   #39
king1412
"TRF" Member

"There's nothing more pathetic than a grown man who's afraid of a woman" - Cosmo Kramer

In all seriously though, she is right, a 36mm is too small for a man. It is now a woman's watch. Some women are even wearing 40mm Subs and Daytonas.
Old 24 November 2010, 03:08 AM   #40
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Maybe I'm just a bitter jaded old cynic, but this whole thing smells fishy to me...
Three days ago you're on here loving the watch to death, and now it's on Ebay since yesterday because the GF hates it? In other words you went from love to a fully prepared listing on Ebay in two days?

Just my .02 cents

Paul
Valid point. As the OP said "(already listed on eBay just to see what I can get)" - well you don't put it on eBay to see what you can get - if you get bids, and assuming you don't have a reserve, you gota sell it. Better to list it here to "see what you can get"
Old 24 November 2010, 03:11 AM   #41
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
It will be harder to sell the watch without B&P too, IMO. I would keep it Dood.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=151908
Old 24 November 2010, 03:16 AM   #42
colpol
"TRF" Member

If its your watch today - what'll it be tomorrow ??

I've a few mates who's wife's rule the roost & wear the trousers. One's been happily married for 20 years.

There's no right or wrong having a strong willed spouse who barks the orders - just as long as your happy with that !
Old 24 November 2010, 03:21 AM   #43
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Sounds controlling like my ex-wife. LOL! I'd tell her she is welcome to buy you a new Rolex any time she likes.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
Old 24 November 2010, 03:35 AM   #44
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:

Just my .02 cents

Paul
I DO love the watch, It takes about 15 minutes for a fully prepared eBay listing -not 2 days. I've been selling on eBay for years plus I already had the pictures.

You have to understand that I was unsure about a 36mm case size to begin with (check my other posts), and also the TT....Then I received the watch, and I LOVED it, but the more I see peoples Sub C's and 41mm Datejusts, the more I feel I should have spent the money on a bigger watch. That's not fishy.

Quote:
Valid point. As the OP said "(already listed on eBay just to see what I can get)" - well you don't put it on eBay to see what you can get - if you get bids, and assuming you don't have a reserve, you gota sell it. Better to list it here to "see what you can get"
I put it on ebay with a Buy it Now or Best Offer.... Yes if someone hits the Buy it Now, I will sell it for that amount and then put in some more for a sub-c... I don't understand the confusion here? Maybe first time ebayer's?
Old 24 November 2010, 03:36 AM   #45
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
You'd think your fiance would want you to wear what you like. Marriage is all about negotiation and this might not bode well for your future.
I can understand having to work out the $$ situation but would have a hard time with someone who dictated what I can wear.
Just my 2cts.
dP
I can't add anything to what Dan has said. I agree 100%. This issue has nothing to do with watches and may be a sign of trouble ahead.

incidentally, I've been married for over 26 years.
Old 24 November 2010, 03:37 AM   #46
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
After reading this entire thread, and everyones comments, all I can say is....

Wow....

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Old 24 November 2010, 03:40 AM   #47
oo7

Lose the girl.
Old 24 November 2010, 03:40 AM   #48
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
Watches in my opinion, are very personal items (That's why I recommend anyone planning on getting one as a gift for someone be sure about which model they want. If you don't know, don't buy one...) If you are in love with your TT Rose Gold Thunderbird, keep it. Pure and simple. Your fiance is not the one who is going to be earing it everyday. She might not be happy at first, but she'll get over it...
Old 24 November 2010, 03:46 AM   #49
hanybad
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116523,116710,5513
Quote:

Just my .02 cents

Paul
I think the OP is after the profit here is the first post about this watch and he cleary indicates that he is buying it for $4300 and now in his post saying over 5k spent.

Just my .02 cents
Old 24 November 2010, 03:48 AM   #50
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
I put it on ebay with a Buy it Now or Best Offer.... Yes if someone hits the Buy it Now, I will sell it for that amount and then put in some more for a sub-c... I don't understand the confusion here? Maybe first time ebayer's?
Oh my confusion was with your intent - I thought you just wanted to see what it would fetch but wouldn't actually sell it on eBay. Fees will eat up a bit, you might have better luck here but its your call

And I don't think the other guy whose post you're commenting on means it took you two days to do an eBay post...he meant, you raved about it and now 2 days later you're listing it on eBay... Why are you touting your eBay skills to us? You can see how this might smell fishy I'm sure
Old 24 November 2010, 03:51 AM   #51
dooder202
Banned

Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanybad View Post
I think the OP is after the profit here is the first post about this watch and he cleary indicates that he is buying it for $4300 and now in his post saying over 5k spent.

Just my .02 cents
Wow, you guys are brutal. Listen here, I am not after a profit of what?? A few hundred dollars? You have to be kidding me.

Yes 5K between the loss I took on my Tag Heuer Calibre 5, the payapl fees and shipping on the new Rolex... Go ahead detective!, check it out to make sure! What are you the Rolex police?
Old 24 November 2010, 03:55 AM   #52
dooder202
Banned

Quote:
Oh my confusion was with your intent - I thought you just wanted to see what it would fetch but wouldn't actually sell it on eBay. Fees will eat up a bit, you might have better luck here but its your call

And I don't think the other guy whose post you're commenting on means it took you two days to do an eBay post...he meant, you raved about it and now 2 days later you're listing it on eBay... Why are you touting your eBay skills to us?
Yes you're right, I will probably have better luck posting it here which I will get around too as soon as I am sure I should get a sub c or 41mm, need to stop by my AD to take another look.. See, the sub c reminds me of my Tag Heuer Calibre 5 Aquaracer (500M model) and I don't want that to give me the same feel from a Rolex, that's why I chose the Datejust in the first place. Now the 41mm might be a bit to "blingy".. I wish my AD had more in stock for me to look at instead of the black stick dial, the green roman numeral, and the ivory stick dial. Not that there's anything wrong with these models because they are gorgeous, but I was interested in the TT Arabic with black dial.
Old 24 November 2010, 03:58 AM   #53
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you're right, I will probably have better luck posting it here which I will get around too as soon as I am sure I should get a sub c or 41mm, need to stop by my AD to take another look.. See, the sub c reminds me of my Tag Heuer Calibre 5 Aquaracer (500M model) and I don't want that to give me the same feel from a Rolex, that's why I chose the Datejust in the first place. Now the 41mm might be a bit to "blingy".. I wish my AD had more in stock for me to look at instead of the black stick dial, the green roman numeral, and the ivory stick dial.
Yea, thats tough. I wish there was a "one stop" Rolex shopping center where you could try on each model and combo (maybe not each dial combo, I can understand that).
Old 24 November 2010, 04:01 AM   #54
jtwrace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
Quote:
I have to live with this woman after all!
No you don't my friend....you're choosing to live with this woman.

I see it like this.
1) deal with it
2)get rid of the woman
3)get rid of Rolex and be regretful. It will only get worse with time and more years of marriage.
4)get another Rolex
Old 24 November 2010, 04:05 AM   #55
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I certainly wish you the best.

One thing I agree with your fiancee is the watch. I sold my DJ because it is a bit small and if you're young, Rose Gold maynot be the best looking for you. A SS model with a WG bezel may be an alternative. It's just MHO.

TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Old 24 November 2010, 04:10 AM   #56
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
There's really no justification in getting another Rolex. Just get the new Sub and be done with it.

Old 24 November 2010, 04:17 AM   #57
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1412 View Post

In all seriously though, she is right, a 36mm is too small for a man. It is now a woman's watch. Some women are even wearing 40mm Subs and Daytonas.
I gotta disagree. The 36mm DJ wears like a dream and I'm not a small guy either.

Do I want a sub as well. yes. Does that make my DJ a womans watch. Nope

I think almost all Rolex's a pretty Unisex - Just my opinion of course.
Old 24 November 2010, 04:38 AM   #58
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp2, Exp1
Looks great to me!
Old 24 November 2010, 04:43 AM   #59
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Dooder, I looked at the ebay listing.....well done, clear and concise. Great pics...the watch looks good on you, with that nice blue stripped long sleeve shirt! You really should think about keeping it! I see you have had 4 offers already. Was wondering what they were, if you don't mind sharing? Always nice to know what folks on eBay are offering for stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Datejust-1...#ht_500wt_1156

Also, I'm somewhat confused, as you listed the watch for sale on eBay on November 19th (http://shop.ebay.com/edb4164/m.html), and as your original post here, "My first Rolex, Pics attached" was posted November 20th one day after you listed the watch for sale on eBay (http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612).

(Oh, and in your eBay listing of 11-19, you mention that Rolex increased the MSRP on 11-17. Did Rolex have yet another price increase? I am sooooo out of the loop on these things!!)

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Old 24 November 2010, 05:09 AM   #60
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I have seen the movie and i know the end.

B-E-W-A-R-E !!!!!!

And one last thing: People learn from their mistakes. Clever people learn from others people mistakes.
Closed Thread