The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 January 2008, 05:13 AM   #31
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I could not care less what impresses others, as far as watches go I am pretty sellfish in that I would only buy a watch that I like. I have two jobs that I enjoy and am single so I have some disposable income and love mechanical watches, I dont travel often or splurge on many things other than a car every 5-6 years and would like to have a few nice watches to enjoy.

Most of the watches on my list are great values as far as Swiss watches go but I would like to have one special watch that goes the extra mile as far as craftmanship is concerned, something that I, and only I, can apreciate whenever I wear it. I could get a Diamond encrusted Breitling if others attension is what I craved.

The brands I mensioned have absolutely amazing attension to detail, which is why they will never be faked to a T, unlike Omegas, Panerais, and Breitlings (all of which I love and own) and can be apreciated mostly my the watch obssesed owner. I wish people did not assume buying a watch is a means to impress others.

If it wasnts for its price tag, I would go for the A Lange and Sohne Lange 1, but alas I have to "settle" for something like the JLC Reverso GMT. I was just wondering if someone had suggestions for something else that has equal attension to detail and at a similar pricepoint.

This is an issue that I've wondered about (how much to spend), and find very interesting. Obviously, we each make what we make and have different priorities and obligations. For example, I would never spend 2 months salary on a single watch. That's just my personal view. As much as I enjoy looking at and wishing for watches, I find that it's much more important to invest the money for later. So the question is at what point is it irresponsible to buy a watch?

We each have differing definitions of "disposable" income. Would spending $20-$30K on a watch break me? Probably not. Would it be irresponsible? Perhaps. At my age, spending $20-30K on a watch rather than investing would probably cost me some time in retiring as early as I'd like. Also, for me, spending that much on a watch doesn't bring to me that much more happiness than a $2000 to $8000 watch. I would much rather spend $6000 and invest/save the rest. I have friends that make the same and more than me, and they would never spend more than $500 on a watch. Watches just don't do anything for them.

You raised a very interesting question when you brought out the salary reference.
crimscrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 05:20 AM   #32
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Interesting points. Yet how many people buy a $50K or $60K car that will depreciate $20K in the first year???

Sure, buying a $20K watch -might- not be as good as investing that same money, but can you insure your normal investments? (hint - no)

At my old job, one of my colleagues in Italy handled the Gucci account. He claims that they are doing better in the bust times than ever - saying that the truly rich move their money into luxury items when the financial markets get rocky.

Go figure.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 05:47 AM   #33
unknown
"TRF" Member

Patek is the best choice

get yourself a catalog and look at all the beautifull things they make.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 06:32 AM   #34
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Interesting points. Yet how many people buy a $50K or $60K car that will depreciate $20K in the first year???

Sure, buying a $20K watch -might- not be as good as investing that same money, but can you insure your normal investments? (hint - no)

At my old job, one of my colleagues in Italy handled the Gucci account. He claims that they are doing better in the bust times than ever - saying that the truly rich move their money into luxury items when the financial markets get rocky.

Go figure.
The Gucci thing is an interesting point. I think that has more to do with the fact that the rich are still rich, and still like to spend money. I think there are also more people becoming rich as well. Obviously a weaker market hurts rich people too, but they're generally well diversified enough to withstand these downturns. I always say that a rich person who loses half is only half as rich. But a poor person who loses half is twice as poor.

I wonder how many of us actually save money for a watch purchase versus one day just say, "you know, I should treat myself to a watch." I'm more of the later. My recent Rolex purchases have been more of, okay, I'm going to spend a portion of my bonus on the watch rather than waiting until I've saved a dollar amount.
crimscrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2008, 06:43 AM   #35
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordo9998 View Post

AP offshore concept watch for sale for almost a half a mill.
AP does much more, and more to my liking:

But most, if not all of the high-end and ultra radical watches are a bit too outlandish to my taste. Just a 'normal' dial with the hour and minute hands cantered and not too much sub-dials is good enough for me
Old 11 January 2008, 07:29 AM   #36
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimscrem View Post
The Gucci thing is an interesting point. I think that has more to do with the fact that the rich are still rich, and still like to spend money. I think there are also more people becoming rich as well. Obviously a weaker market hurts rich people too, but they're generally well diversified enough to withstand these downturns. I always say that a rich person who loses half is only half as rich. But a poor person who loses half is twice as poor.

I wonder how many of us actually save money for a watch purchase versus one day just say, "you know, I should treat myself to a watch." I'm more of the later. My recent Rolex purchases have been more of, okay, I'm going to spend a portion of my bonus on the watch rather than waiting until I've saved a dollar amount.

This was in the context of EU rich... more old money, folks who are as you say "insulated". However, it's interesting to note that the head of Gucci claimed banner sales - indicating that it was common for the wealthiest people to shift their wealth from markets to "things" when the economy takes a turn for the worse.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2008, 12:47 PM   #37
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
I really like the Vacheron. The quality is superb and almost unsurpassed. This watch is one of my all time favourites and one that I consider worthy of this small list:

wow! do they require a number of prerequisite courses in order to qualify to buy?
best,dan

p.s. i would not BEGIN to pretend to know how to use that watch, but it would be fun to learn, no?
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2008, 04:02 PM   #38
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Wow, I have never seen these watches before. Pretty sharp.
Old 12 January 2008, 06:16 PM   #39
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
wow! do they require a number of prerequisite courses in order to qualify to buy?
best,dan

p.s. i would not BEGIN to pretend to know how to use that watch, but it would be fun to learn, no?
No, it's easy. You pull out the crown and turn it three clicks, then you push the ehhh..... Wait, now I know. You push the little button three times and then you ehhh..... Does anybody know what time it is?
Old 12 January 2008, 06:50 PM   #40
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
That watch above is the JLC Duometre Chronograph Caliber 380.

It's totally cool, with a couple of patents involved in how the chrono display is designed and manufactured. There are separate main barrels for time keeping functions and chrono functions. All time functions are read off the gold hands whereas blue hands mean chrono functions. The subdial at 6 o'clock revolves once every second when chrono is on and shows time division to 1/6th of a second reflecting the 21600vph of the movement.

The crown winds the chrono when turned anti-clockwise and winds the watch when turned clockwise.

All chrono functions are controlled by the button at 2 o'clock and the watch is in rose gold and platinum with a limited edition of 300 yellow gold models. MRSP for the rose gold is USD38,000.

Just been reading about this model. Very cool. I'd like to have one sometime.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2008, 08:30 AM   #41
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
AP Royal Oak Offshore

VC Overseas Chrono
These will be my next 2 watch purchases as well. though I HARDLY consider them ULTRA exclusive, nice yes, nicer than Rolex yes, but there certainly are nicer watches out there.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote