The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2018, 10:49 PM   #31
christianj
Banned

So at the risk of getting flamed here...is 2 or 6 seconds a DAY really that big of a deal to all of you? Don't get me wrong, the OP should expect a new watch to work properly but I probably would not notice if I lost 1 minute every 30 or 10 days. Guess I need to start checking my 5167A and 5711A.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 11:01 PM   #32
sapper17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
So at the risk of getting flamed here...is 2 or 6 seconds a DAY really that big of a deal to all of you? Don't get me wrong, the OP should expect a new watch to work properly but I probably would not notice if I lost 1 minute every 30 or 10 days. Guess I need to start checking my 5167A and 5711A.
Fair question. I have four Rolexs, none of them run more that +1 a day, and I can tweak that by .5 by the way I place it at night. For 3 times the cost I expect at least the same accuracy. Running -6 during the day, then +4 overnight is too large of a swing for a time piece of this caliber. The service center was happy to fix it, it just stinks that I am without it for at least a month.
sapper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 11:29 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
IMO no. My 5712 has always been around +6/7 from day one but its consistent. I think Tom's issue is a bit more concerning which is the erratic time keeping when not worn.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #34
tng11
"TRF" Member

I'd like to withdraw my earlier comments on this thread (for now.)

Turns out the watch was magnetized. How, I'm not sure. Though I've been told I have a magnetic personality.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

Turns out the watch was magnetized. How, I'm not sure. Though I've been told I have a magnetic personality.
iPad covers... they are full of magnets. Thats the most likely culprit.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 6 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #36
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
iPad covers... they are full of magnets. Thats the most likely culprit.
Don't have an iPad. Only leaves the magnetic personality.
Old 6 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #37
waspy1
Banned

Quote:

The silicon hairspring was magnetised? Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #38
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

interestingly I think the 5164 Ive been wearing maybe only has 24 hours of power reserve...and the accuracy is probably off too ha. Havent had the problem with any the other pateks.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 02:02 AM   #39
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
The silicon hairspring was magnetised? Hmm

I have no idea really. The shop I took it to said that apparently was the case. We'll have to see if that was the issue.
Old 6 April 2018, 02:14 AM   #40
PJ S
Banned

^
Practically impossible with silicon hairsprings, more likely if the watch was in a low state of wind, resulting in poor isochronism.
I did something for another member in the general non-rolex section some time back, who also is in Toronto, you should be able to find the details of some places you could take it to and have them put it on their timegrapher to check.
It’ll also display amplitude and beat error, which will be more of an indication on the movement’s state of health.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 06:29 AM   #41
tng11
"TRF" Member

Had the 5164A looked at by a watchmaker that actually knew what he was doing.

All good, back to its normal -2/day performance it was at when I got it. The -10s variance I saw once was explained by the power reserve running towards the end (36 hours or so after the last wind), and the 30 second off has not been replicated again and may just have been an issue where the watch actually just ran out of power right before I picked it up and wound it again.
Old 14 April 2018, 07:23 AM   #42
PJ S
Banned

Excellent news. Validates what I surmised it might have been in the previous post.
Just goes to show it’s always worthwhile to perform a few basic checks (in the absence of a timegrapher or a local member/watch repairer with one), before presuming the worst.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:22 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Glad it was an easy fix.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 04:30 PM   #44
Watch Admirer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
The 5522 has a superpower, it can repair itself. Probably can cure a variety of antibiotic resistant conditions also.
hahaha i honestly love all the little jokes around the pilots range of Patek
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 04:45 PM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had the 5164A looked at by a watchmaker that actually knew what he was doing.

All good, back to its normal -2/day performance it was at when I got it. The -10s variance I saw once was explained by the power reserve running towards the end (36 hours or so after the last wind), and the 30 second off has not been replicated again and may just have been an issue where the watch actually just ran out of power right before I picked it up and wound it again.
i do confess this is why i keep <48 hour PR watches on a winder. I wear my 64 all the time but if i take a day off then its already at 32-36 hours off the wrist. In any case, i have not reset the time on mine for about 5 months and its still within 6 seconds (in total, not per day) so its been extremely consistent and accurate.

After i wear it for a day i set it down over night, but if the next morning im not going to wear it then it goes on the winder until i wear it again.
Old 14 April 2018, 04:50 PM   #46
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

4sec is pretty good, I would’ve been fine with that
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 06:02 PM   #47
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 06:13 PM   #48
Token74
"TRF" Member

I'm still pretty new to watch collecting (and not sure my collection is worthy yet of being called a collection) but I'm not looking to buy a Patek for accuracy, it's about design, finish, and crafts(wo)manship.

My wife and I have four Rolex between us and they have so far proven to be bullet-proof. My Sea Dweller in particular gets battered on a daily basis and never misses a beat, and over a month it may be a second out.

We have three Royal Oaks and whilst these look more special, they don't perform quite so well and they don't get the rough treatment. That doesn't disappoint me in any way, it's what I expect.

I don't think AP and Patek should be compared to Rolex...they seemingly focus on different things. Rolex shout about the 4130 movement in the Daytona and about how few moving parts it has...Patek seem to prefer to make things as complicated as possible! Which personally I love, but the more complicated, the more there is to go wrong.

As I say, I'm new to this relative to most on here so feel free to shoot me down.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 14 April 2018, 06:16 PM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I'm still pretty new to watch collecting (and not sure my collection is worthy yet of being called a collection) but I'm not looking to buy a Patek for accuracy, it's about design, finish, and crafts(wo)manship.

My wife and I have four Rolex between us and they have so far proven to be bullet-proof. My Sea Dweller in particular gets battered on a daily basis and never misses a beat, and over a month it may be a second out.

We have three Royal Oaks and whilst these look more special, they don't perform quite so well and they don't get the rough treatment. That doesn't disappoint me in any way, it's what I expect.

I don't think AP and Patek should be compared to Rolex...they seemingly focus on different things. Rolex shout about the 4130 movement in the Daytona and about how few moving parts it has...Patek seem to prefer to make things as complicated as possible! Which personally I love, but the more complicated, the more there is to go wrong.

As I say, I'm new to this relative to most on here so feel free to shoot me down.

i don't disagree with regard to expectation of Patek and AP vs Rolex in terms of accuracy in general. One is a tool watch and the others are more artistic watches so accuracy shouldn't in theory be the focus. However PP does have a pretty tight tolerance for accuracy themselves (+3/-2) where as AP does not. My AP work horse movement watches 3120's have all been way, way less accurate than the comparable Patek movement 324.
Old 14 April 2018, 06:19 PM   #50
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i don't disagree with regard to expectation of Patek and AP vs Rolex in terms of accuracy in general. However PP does have a pretty tight tolerance for accuracy themselves (+3/-2) where as AP does not. My AP works horse movement watches 3120's are all way, way less accurate than the comparable Patek movement 324.

That's interesting, I didn't know that about AP

Old 14 April 2018, 08:08 PM   #51
tng11
"TRF" Member

My dearly departed 5167 was crazy accurate. I set it once and let it run for 108 days consecutively and it was at -2s at the end. I have not gotten that kind of accuracy from any other movement, though my new 116500 I picked up on Monday might be a contender. It's been constantly running for 5 days and is still accurate to the second.

AP movements have been the worst performers for me so far. I've owned 8 pieces with 3120/3126 calibres and they've been anywhere from 5 to 45 seconds off per day.
Old 14 April 2018, 09:22 PM   #52
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper17 View Post
Kind of bummed. One month old 5164 was losing 6 sec a day. Couldn't be regulated. Needs a full service. Even though its brand new it will still take 4 weeks minimum. Very disappointed. How did it leave the factory like this? This never happened to any of my Rolex watches.

Sorry to hear the news.

To share, happened to my BNIB Sub C LV which stopped frequently for no reason and had to bring it to Rolex Service Center for repair. Luckily, took 2 days and the watch had no issue ever since.

Stuff happens and that’s why there’s product warranty.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 09:57 PM   #53
PJ S
Banned

The only thing to complain about regarding AP, is that they are rather lazy when it comes to regulating the movements at the factory – it’s all about assembling and shoving those 40K pieces out the door.
Maybe if they bothered to invest in a good few more staff, they’d have the manpower to properly regulate the movement to a decent level of accuracy.
It’s rather telling when you know you can ask the APSCs to do that for you, after having bought it!

Vince, a Rolex is no more a tool watch – the most diving action 99% of them see is on top of desk!
Any proper regime of R&D when devising a new movement (and neither the 3120/26 nor the 324 are in any way new, and some of those Pateks with it fitted suffer the sticking datewheel issue) is to ensure its correctly working, including running accurately once regulated, etc.
In this day and age, there’s no reason to ever produce sub-par movements, not least when rather mundane ETAs and Japanese Miyotas/Seikos (inc. SII ones) can be regulated to perform within COSC.

Haute Horlogerie isn’t just about how pretty a movement looks or how many complications have been integrated within it.
Old 14 April 2018, 10:28 PM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

One thing I have found is that my Pateks start up with almost no winding. Usually a quick flick of the wrist and they start, my Rolexes need more cajoling, which surprised me.
Old 14 April 2018, 10:33 PM   #55
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Can you not grab a cheap flight to NY, and make a day of it?
You might see something you fancy bringing home with you… and I’m not referring to any waifs or strays!
Hey! Don't knock waifs and strays until you've tried them.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:13 PM   #56
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Isn’t this kinda like saying I don’t have a microwave? Honestly, don’t know how I’d live w/o one.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:25 PM   #57
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper17 View Post
Kind of bummed. One month old 5164 was losing 6 sec a day. Couldn't be regulated. Needs a full service. Even though its brand new it will still take 4 weeks minimum. Very disappointed. How did it leave the factory like this? This never happened to any of my Rolex watches.
4 Weeks, More like 6-8 Weeks.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #58
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

After writing about the 5164 losing a bit of its power reserve...it stopped haha. SO off to patek for it's multi month spa treatment.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #59
PJ S
Banned

^
If it has only 24 hours of PR, then that may indicate a broken mainspring.
I would be highly surprised if it was a friction issue (through lack of lube) that the spring’s torque was unable to overcome.
Give it a full manual wind – 60 turns of the crown, then leave it dial up after noting the time.
See how long it runs for, and if it’s close to spec, then the issue is more likely the auto winding mechanism.
Is the watch still in warranty?
Old 15 April 2018, 12:38 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Isn’t this kinda like saying I don’t have a microwave? Honestly, don’t know how I’d live w/o one.
I don't have a microwave since I cut out most carbs. Really helps weight loss/control as before I was using it pretty much every day and never for good.