The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2017, 04:46 AM   #31
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Having them can only help with a future sale and the value.

I always save any paperwork. I just sold a non-Rolex brand watch, it was 8 months old, but I took it directly to the manufacturer's HQ here in NYC, where they demagnitized it, saved that piece of paper... Just one more piece of evidence for the buyer that the watch was absolutely genuine.

Same with another watch I sold, had the original receipt and then a receipt from servicing it.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:46 AM   #32
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
i keep tv boxes for moving them. same with speakers.
I kept my last TV box for 2 years before throwing it away. Movers usually are careful and wrap it with heavy blankets. TV tech advances so quickly, after 4-5 years, the tv is really not worth much. I stop saving the boxes after a year when the warranty expires.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:49 AM   #33
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
The first watch I ever spend real money on was a Movado Sports Watch. I had just gotten my first job out of college and I think I dropped $900 on it. It was a lot of money for me then.

I consider myself a collector and I tend to be quite particular about these types of things. I kept the box and warranty card with the watch for the first few years. Then one day I looked at the warranty card and said to myself... Hey this thing is way expired... I guess it's trash... and in the trash it went. I think that's how many non WIS type people think.

It wasn't until I got my first Rolex and my first nice watch after that Movado that the AD told me NOT to throw anything away and keep it all as a set as that's how collectors will want it in the future.

It was a good lesson and I'm glad I learned it on a cheap Movado and not a Rolex.
Old 18 November 2017, 04:54 AM   #34
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
I kept my last TV box for 2 years before throwing it away. Movers usually are careful and wrap it with heavy blankets. TV tech advances so quickly, after 4-5 years, the tv is really not worth much. I stop saving the boxes after a year when the warranty expires.
TV boxes are mostly useless IMO.

I buy a TV, I'm keeping it until I get rid of it (which means I'm leaving it outside or phoning a few people to see if anyone wants to come take it). I bought one of Samsung's first full slim LED 3d TV's in like 2010 and still have it on my wall.

Man that thing is a beast.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #35
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
I've learned over years of collecting- Tools , lures , Knives etc... original box / papers are a big deal to collectors- adds provenance .

Now on the flip side & close to home my Daughter was ready to toss box from her new datejust ! I'm glad I was home that day to intercede.
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 08:52 AM   #36
The M3 Guy
"TRF" Member

One possibility not mentioned is buying a Rolex overseas when on holiday, to avoid paying customs duty on it wear the watch through customs check point and don't have box and receipt in your bag so if searched and questioned you have owned it for some time.

GST is 12.5% additional on items purchased over $400.00 NZD so from that point of view leave the box or post it home separately is the way to go.
The M3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 08:55 AM   #37
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Boxes/papers for watches & cell phones. More $ recouped. Ok...since you collectors and OCD hoarders brought it up; here's a different type of paper to save for pending children/grandchildren. Purchase a newspaper on the date of birth for incoming baby. Still have mine from my Mom. Priceless gift & fun history lesson. Cheers!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:03 AM   #38
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
People often give the box to their wife to try to soften the marital disharmony the purchase has caused - Invariably it ends up trashed.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:14 AM   #39
miasub
"TRF" Member

Not everyone keeps that type of stuff and the more years go by the less likely they will keep them. Simple.

For a more vintage watch of course I would prefer a complete set, but if the right watch comes around its not necessarily a deal breaker. Newer watch... say just a couple years old I'd expect a full set.

If you find a good watch locally without docs...tell the seller you'll only buy the watch if he sends it to an RSC for a service and provides you with the original invoice. Or else...no deal! Trust me RSC will know if there is any question about authenticity.
miasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:33 AM   #40
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver6 View Post
. . .
I posted the original (and somewhat silly) question simply because Rolex has a bit of a fanatical following to it... I was (and still am) surprised to find so many missing boxes and papers that I felt I was missing some key info.
I suspect that the fanatical followers do keep every jot and tittle. I also suspect that fanatical followers only make up a very small fraction of Rolex watch buyers.

As we have said many times, and as you are finding out, the vast majority of watches for sale, used, will not have "box and papers".

Most Dealers who take in used Rolex for trade send their watches off to a main depot for service and they are sent back out to other Dealers. For example Ben Bridge sends all trade-ins to their Seattle area service center; they are never sent back out with a Rolex box or the obsolete, previous owners, papers.
Old 18 November 2017, 10:17 AM   #41
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
My TV boxes are long gone. However, I’m still hoarding my speaker boxes almost 4 years after my last move...and they take up tonnes of painfully expensive space. However, they have a high gloss piano finish just begging to be damaged by an errant mover, so I’m expecting that I won’t regret keeping the boxes around
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:08 AM   #42
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
When watches are stolen they are generally stolen without papers.
There are, of course, plenty of perfectly honest people who discard the papers and later go on to sell their high value watch, but I would want some verification of the watch’s legitimate provenance before I would consider buying one without papers
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:15 AM   #43
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
No full sets

That's what I always thought, why. I guess it was common even for some people to leave the boxes and papers at the jewelry store years ago but it seems weird to see current watches nowadays with nothing. One more reason to buy new from an AD, I've bought new from greys and was dissapointed as well.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:30 AM   #44
USARSHOE
"TRF" Member

I bought and wore my Sea Dweller for almost ten years and didn’t baby it at all. But when I needed to sell it for house repairs I was able to get more than I paid because I had the complete kit from the AD.
USARSHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:06 PM   #45
TVal07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 (SD4K)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARSHOE View Post
I bought and wore my Sea Dweller for almost ten years and didn’t baby it at all. But when I needed to sell it for house repairs I was able to get more than I paid because I had the complete kit from the AD.
As a relative new member of the forum and a fairly recent modest collector of Rolex and Tudor, always buy a full set and store the box and papers. This appeals to serious collectors/buyers and helps to authenticate the watch. The box and papers are important and they are easy to store safely. Throwing them away or leaving the AD without them is not a good choice. I’ve never had an AD NOT make a point of ensuring everything that came with the watch was properly accounted for. There’s a reason for that - peace of mind.
TVal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:05 PM   #46
Seanken
Banned

When i buy a watch or a drill press or a stick of gum, i toss out the packaging. For a Rolex i will keep all the garbage they give you for a year. If I'm still wearing it I'll dump most of the stuff.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:39 PM   #47
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
I think there are a lot of sellers that needed quick cash, and most likely took the watch right off their wrist to get some cash. After the deal is done, the box and accessories are up for sale on ebay. BOOM that's the truth..
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 12:52 AM   #48
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I keep original packaging & paperwork whether it's a pocket knife or a watch. Simply as that.
I do, too. All original packaging is stored for the life of the piece, especially (but, by no means, limited to) electronics. Original packaging is nearly always the best way to send an item for warranty work and is always a useful selling point at resale. Having it available - and in perfect condition - speaks to the careful treatment the actual item experienced during its tenure in my care.

When, on rare occasions, I'm looking to buy a used item of any sort, I always seek out owners with the same mindset.
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 01:48 AM   #49
timtom33
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Seems strange to me too, who buys a Rolex and throws the box and papers away! How much room do they take up in your house? If you're that tight for space maybe lay off buying expensive watches and save for a bigger place to live first!
timtom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #50
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Watch: Sub 16613 / 114060
It's just me but I would insist if considering a used purchace that my chosen watch was complete with origanal box and paperwork to aid future value.

Not based on resale value but more of a family hand down I the hope my two son's will also enjoy these superb watches as much as I do.

But they will probably end up in the London auction rooms.... I'd put money on it but wouldn't be around to collect my winnings
Lord Woodford MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 04:10 AM   #51
Xerxes77
Banned

Many Rolex owner don’t care about box and papers
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 05:43 AM   #52
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Even when I was young I always liked keeping the box and accessories that came with anything I bought. Then the habit got worse when I started collecting sneakers. I firmly believe in keeping everything unless it takes up too much space and isn't that important. But I am probably in the minority and can understand why people toss boxes even for their Rolex. I would prefer to have a complete set but for an older watch I will make an exception.

I guess most people don't trust Rolexes without box and papers in case it might've been stolen.
Old 19 November 2017, 06:41 AM   #53
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Sounds as if some of you would make for a great episode of "Hoarders".

C'mon folks, we all draw the line somewhere, don't we? Watch boxes, shoe boxes, TV boxes, why stop there?

Refridegerators, washer/dryers, microwaves, toaster ovens, all come in boxes right? And while we're at it, are we just talking about cardboard or do you fellas include styrofoam and packing peanuts as part of your collection?

At some point we all make a judgement what stays and what goes.

I try keep my watch boxes and paperwork, but that's pretty much where I draw the line. In doing so I fully recognize that we are the exception not the rule. The vast majority of watch owners have likely never visited or even heard of a watch forum and couldn't give two hoots about packaging material.

My comments aren't meant to offend, but just a reminder that sometimes it's easy to take ourselves a little too seriously when in a like minded crowd.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 06:51 AM   #54
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

To reiterate again:

My AD sells more diamond bezel DJ's than any other model. We are not the typical Rolex buyer.

I see no box and papers as an opportunity to pay less!
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 07:09 AM   #55
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Most Rolex are bought by people to wear and not collect. Wearers don't care about keeping unused junk in their homes. Mainly flippers keep the stuff. Do you keep all your shoe boxes?

Mic drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:18 AM   #56
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Turbo View Post
Continuing this discussion further, what if any should be the price difference / percentage between a complete set and one without all the stuff?
I'd say the older it is the % goes up. Can you imagine a mint 5512 vs same as a full set ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:53 AM   #57
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Watch boxes, shoe boxes, TV boxes, why stop there?

Refridegerators, washer/dryers, microwaves, toaster ovens, all come in boxes right? And while we're at it, are we just talking about cardboard or do you fellas include styrofoam and packing peanuts as part of your collection?
*spits coffee*
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 01:40 PM   #58
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
I keep any boxes/receipts of almost everything of 'value' unless it is too large/cumbersome not to. Rolex, Hermes, LV, etc.? Absolutely. I also keep the boxes of my Japanese kitchen knives, All Clad cookware, etc. In regards to shoe boxes, lol, I keep shoe boxes until I've worn them a couple times and know they don't have an initial quality issue.
al503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:10 PM   #59
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Many people buy from the grey market, which has often boxes but no paper. It's still an authentic watch.

There are also people, who don't care about the box and paper and just trough them away after the purchase
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 04:29 PM   #60
sonyab523
"TRF" Member

Seems very strange that people do this. You should always keep packaging for anything this expensive. I keep all my shoe and watch boxes regardless of value. I see it as a great way to store items.
sonyab523 is offline   Reply With Quote