The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2021, 03:00 AM   #31
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
To me, Rolex is a bracelet watch and I cant get past that. I would certainly use the rubber strap as a secondary strap but would never pay this high $$$ on a Rolex without a metal bracelet. I love the look of the Daytona on rubber but it’s price point is too high for a rubber strap. Rolex makes the best bracelets in the industry.
Completely agree. Rolex converted me to a bracelet person, and historically I was always a strap guy. Part of the reason it is so difficult to even bat an eye at other brands.
Old 25 December 2021, 03:08 AM   #32
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
To me, Rolex is a bracelet watch and I cant get past that. I would certainly use the rubber strap as a secondary strap but would never pay this high $$$ on a Rolex without a metal bracelet. I love the look of the Daytona on rubber but it’s price point is too high for a rubber strap. Rolex makes the best bracelets in the industry.
I've got to disagree. These Daytonas on OF are very special pieces, albeit very sporty looking. If bought at retail, you are saving $10k over the model that has a couple of inches of gold bracelet.

It is for the person who wants something different, durable, and low key. Maybe it is just me, but I also think that Chronos look amazing on straps.

I am biased as an OF owner, but I think the OF Daytona is an absolute winner.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 03:54 AM   #33
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Is that $10,000 over retail price?

About $15k when you factor in CA tax for retail.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #34
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I've got to disagree. These Daytonas on OF are very special pieces, albeit very sporty looking. If bought at retail, you are saving $10k over the model that has a couple of inches of gold bracelet.

It is for the person who wants something different, durable, and low key. Maybe it is just me, but I also think that Chronos look amazing on straps.

I am biased as an OF owner, but I think the OF Daytona is an absolute winner.

Agreed. It’s the durability that attracts me most to this watch while still being PM. It has the heft and just enough presence. If I ever get full PM it would be a DD. I’m not a fan of full PM sport models.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:53 AM   #35
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Personally I wouldn’t pay 46k for that without the gold bracelet. I am a purist and not a fan of rubber bands. I can however, appreciate its uniqueness and appeal.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 08:29 AM   #36
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tonas
That’s funny bc i have been after the exact same model and dial for over a year! It’s been on order with a deposit for over 14 months. Still nothing..... However I was offered the WG a month ago (not as a replacement tho), i did buy it and its gorgeous!!! I bought the steel dial. Worth 45k? Likely you could not even buy it for that. New ones have been right at 50... good luck!
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 09:32 AM   #37
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Visited my AD today and although I have some history (sub date and ~$25k in wife’s jewelry)… I’m getting the feeling that I’m not going to get this watch. This is literally the only watch I want from the catalog. I will be more than happy having my sub as a daily and this one for more special occasions.

For those that own an oysterflex Daytona… would you pay $46 for it? Do you guys think its worth the current gray price? I’m contemplating going gray as I don’t see an end to this madness.

I’m going to another AD tomorrow in Los Angeles that I have an OK relationship with to see if there’s hope but I’m not holding my breath.

I apologize for the rant.

Ive now had two, both from AD actually...the first was actually at a discount when it came out, and the second I got really lucky with last year, after selling my first to a friend for the same price I got it for. This is easily my favorite overall modern rolex daytona made, bar none and I've had about all of them sans YG with green dial. Its versatile, special and has this new age retro vibe to it that just really resonates with me. Not many pieces you can wear in as many scenarios and have it still feel as special as the PN daily YG OF...this one is totally worth it.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 09:40 AM   #38
SA1
"TRF" Member

On a rubberband, pardon the pun? No…Thats a nice looking combination but they should give you a rubber band with a bracelet for $46,000.
SA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 09:50 AM   #39
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I'm sure it is to someone, because they'll pay that much for it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:19 AM   #40
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Hence the lucky fella that dropped 6.5M on the Easter egg turd 5711!
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:25 AM   #41
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Nope. As long as you have other pieces to enjoy, and you like them, don’t rush. Be patient. Looks like you may have a few you can enjoy while you hunt.

I know how it feels…. But be patient and keep trying. It’s not worth the premium, IMO.
Old 25 December 2021, 10:25 AM   #42
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Not a pennie over MSRP plus tax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:37 AM   #43
train-time
"TRF" Member

Not likely at my AD, at least for only a $25K spend. It would take about 10 times that to get one of the Oysterflex Daytonas for MSRP.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:46 AM   #44
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Not a pennie over MSRP plus tax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Minus tax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:47 AM   #45
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Let’s see if the market crashes or corrects itself in the next 3-4 years and you can buy MSRP price

Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 11:05 AM   #46
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Visited my AD today and although I have some history (sub date and ~$25k in wife’s jewelry)… I’m getting the feeling that I’m not going to get this watch. This is literally the only watch I want from the catalog. I will be more than happy having my sub as a daily and this one for more special occasions.

For those that own an oysterflex Daytona… would you pay $46 for it? Do you guys think its worth the current gray price? I’m contemplating going gray as I don’t see an end to this madness.

I’m going to another AD tomorrow in Los Angeles that I have an OK relationship with to see if there’s hope but I’m not holding my breath.

Wow surely that watch is doable with that much jewellery spend.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 11:48 AM   #47
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
Let’s see if the market crashes or corrects itself in the next 3-4 years and you can buy MSRP price

You seem to be glossing over the whole 3-4 years thing like it's nothing, and there is still no guarantee. I personally wouldn't pay 10-15k over for that watch even though I really like it, but waiting 3-4 years is something you'll never get back.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 11:54 AM   #48
boxed
"TRF" Member

I was in the same situation for the past month about the rose gold root beer

AD calls yesterday and I got it for retail! I was so closed to buying grey from Oscar aka body bump.
boxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:02 PM   #49
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
Yeah. Let's do that.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:34 PM   #50
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Not to me
Me neither
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:30 PM   #51
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
not a pennie over msrp plus tax

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
+1
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:33 PM   #52
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

As far as "watch for the dollar" you don't get very far with Rolex (at grey prices). At the same time, you can get rid of one in 2 - 3 days when you get bored and without losing money, so if you like it or even want to just try...no harm in doing so.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:36 PM   #53
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Definitely not worth 46k. Its a gold case on rubber band. I need more gold for that price.

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:47 PM   #54
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Nope not a chance.

$46k fetches much nicer pieces then this on a rubber strap.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 08:07 PM   #55
elee617
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I got this piece in August and I can assure you it is NOT worth 46k. Although it took three years, I’m happier that waited it out. When I inquired if there was any chance I could get the WG version with the steel dial, I was told awkwardly “quite difficult these days” and didn’t even offer to put me on a list.

If you really want it and can afford it, just pay the premium and don’t look back. Life’s too short to wait for something that might never happen. And as mentioned previously it’ll be in the 50’s next year.
elee617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:09 AM   #56
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

From an investment standpoint it is nowhere near as likely to go up as if you can get a SS model from AD. In general PM Rolexes and Pateks simply have not done as well over time in this regard and I doubt that will change. I bought 5 SS Rolexes from AD in past 2 years and each one is worth at least twice what I got it for. If I had bought PM pieces that would most certainly NOT be the case.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:14 AM   #57
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I ordered and received the WG version and would NOT pay over list price. Even the WG one is clearly a sports watch and not very usable with a suit, the YG and RG are even more challenging in that way imho.

Edit: I do Not enjoy the large clasp part, it is way too big for this rubber strap.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 04:09 PM   #58
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee617 View Post
I got this piece in August and I can assure you it is NOT worth 46k. Although it took three years, I’m happier that waited it out. When I inquired if there was any chance I could get the WG version with the steel dial, I was told awkwardly “quite difficult these days” and didn’t even offer to put me on a list.

If you really want it and can afford it, just pay the premium and don’t look back. Life’s too short to wait for something that might never happen. And as mentioned previously it’ll be in the 50’s next year.

Thanks. I’ve decided to wait it out. Second AD made it sound like I will get it and to be patient. Just hope this dial doesn’t get discontinued
Old 27 December 2021, 12:08 AM   #59
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Good decision (waiting).

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 02:18 AM   #60
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Are any of the watches on the market today really worth their asking price? I mean, we're all in uncharted territory here with Rolex secondary pricing. My best guess is that unless supply improves to the point AD's once again carry some semblance of stock, pricing is just going to go one direction...and, it's not down.

But, to answer your question, I don't think this one is anymore ridiculously priced than any of the other OF models.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote