The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2017, 09:44 AM   #31
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post

The receptionist explained to me that due to the size of the triangular marker, any dirt, wear or imperfections will show and that it is not an uncommon issue.

Sweet redemption.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 09:51 AM   #32
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Mine came back from RSC with some sort of smudge on the triangle after they had polished the watch (see picture). I tried cleaning it but it wouldn't come off.
I took it back to RSC and they sandblasted it with a new coating of platinum and it took care of the issue. It took about 15 minutes for them to do it while I waited.
The receptionist explained to me that due to the size of the triangular marker, any dirt, wear or imperfections will show and that it is not an uncommon issue.

Before and after Pictures.
This happens when someone touches a polishing tool to the inside of the bezel triangle. RSC screwed up and either a wheel or rag with polishing rouge made it into the triangle. Ask me how I know ;)

Also, they don't sandblast it with a 'new coating'...they just sandblast it (with media)
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 09:57 AM   #33
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
This happens when someone touches a polishing tool to the inside of the bezel triangle. RSC screwed up and either a wheel or rag with polishing rouge made it into the triangle. Ask me how I know ;)
There really is no reason a polishing wheel should be anywhere near the ceramic insert. When the case is polished, it is a bare piece of metal. And logically speaking there is no reason to have to Polish the bezel ring itself. This just ruins the bezel teeth. Poor workmanship at RSC when the ceramic insert comes back in worse shape than when sent in, IMO
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 09:57 AM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its just a coating very similar to a PVD coating and just a few microns thick and it will wear just like all things with like constant rubbing of coat sleeve or shirt cuff.But it could be just the shadow on picture, if it did happen the only way its repairable is to buy a new insert, one of the many disadvantages of ceramic inserts
In 25 years it'll be known as "vintage faded insert" and people will pay double
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:32 PM   #35
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I would bet some pretty good money that they either replaced your bezel or somehow cleaned the marker and don't in fact have a machine in the back to apply the platinum to the bezel.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:48 PM   #36
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonvr6 View Post
Unlike aluminum inserts where the entire thing wears away?

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:27 PM   #37
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Mine came back from RSC with some sort of smudge on the triangle after they had polished the watch (see picture). I tried cleaning it but it wouldn't come off.
I took it back to RSC and they sandblasted it with a new coating of platinum and it took care of the issue. It took about 15 minutes for them to do it while I waited.

Before and after Pictures.
So it would seem this is something that can be repaired, and doesn't require a replacement insert. Correct?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:35 PM   #38
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Following
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:59 PM   #39
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
I would bet some pretty good money that they either replaced your bezel or somehow cleaned the marker and don't in fact have a machine in the back to apply the platinum to the bezel.
I kinda wondered about this myself.
DJRikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 06:26 PM   #40
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
There have been extremely minimal complaints about the inserts breaking and chipping. Don't you think this place would be flooded with complaints from people just siging up to complain if breakage was common? A few here and there over a year or two is hardly an epidemic.

Most people here have had their watches for quite a while and they state their inserts are perfect.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ceramic+insert

It's $375 to replace the insert on an SS Rolex, not $800.00. Yes, the BLRO is more..
Well... I had one replaced not too long ago on a 116610... Price including labour was with todays exchange rate 700 USD + I hade to be without the watch for the two months(!!!) it took to replace it because Rolex required the old bezel be sent back before they would send out a new one. I ended up calling Rolex directly (yes - its possible) to speed up the process because my local AD was a moron.... Never again
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:55 AM   #41
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
I tried cleaning it myself several times before taking it in. Under a loupe, it looked like the finish was worn and not just dirty.

I asked them if they would replace the bezel if they needed to. They told me they did not have any BLNR bezels in stock and they would have to order them from Switzerland.
This was at the Toronto RSC.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 05:37 AM   #42
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Well... I had one replaced not too long ago on a 116610... Price including labour was with todays exchange rate 700 USD + I hade to be without the watch for the two months(!!!) it took to replace it because Rolex required the old bezel be sent back before they would send out a new one. I ended up calling Rolex directly (yes - its possible) to speed up the process because my local AD was a moron.... Never again
Ouch. That's just painful.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 05:38 AM   #43
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Are you talking to replace the entire bezel? I was referencing the insert.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:12 AM   #44
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
And you can get a new one for $70 and sell the old one as faded.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 12:48 AM   #45
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
Here's the thing-- I was excited when the ceramics came out. Rolex pitched them as a super material, impervious, extremely tough. Then, sure enough, posts about them chipping off, cracking, and now this film issue started to surface. That's my beef! Rolex should answer for it, not have ceramic users pay $800 for a chipped bezel insert that was supposed to be super tough.
Nothing made by man is perfect. I don't think Rolex ever claimed that it was impossible to scratch or break cerachrome inserts. In my opinion they are super tough. All I know is I've banged the face of mine into many things, many times, and that if it were aluminum it would be scratched and dented for certain. Aside from one very very small scratch, my insert looks as good as the day I bought it. I will not have it replaced at service ever unless it's cracked at some point.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #46
Mike56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
This is standard. I've owned three gmt ii's (2- black 1-blnr) and they both had that from the time I purchased new. There have been some threads about in on here but no one really knows what it is and not sure we've ever received explanation from Rolex but it's a well known issue that most just don't worry about
Just wondering if you have done anything about this...I've had my Pepsi for a week now and similar issue seen with a large "mark" within the triangel
Mike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 09:51 AM   #47
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It’s nothing more than finger grease. It’s easily removed either with soap and a soft brush or it is defo removed using acetone dipped Q-tip. Simples.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #48
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

What causes this on the GMT c bezel?

12 years old. Recently serviced but the bezel / insert is of course original. I’d say Rolex did an amazing job here.

BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #49
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
It’s nothing more than finger grease. It’s easily removed either with soap and a soft brush or it is defo removed using acetone dipped Q-tip. Simples.
This.

A dab of blue dawn and some water will take care of it. Don’t you guys ever clean the funk off your watches?!?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:17 AM   #50
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Reviving this thread - I just picked up my 2021 Pepsi and noticed the triangle was dirty. Used the technique as described in this thread - cotton bud and nail polish remover - looks a hell of a lot better now. Thanks for the tip guys.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:37 AM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Well never had that happen on any of my aluminium inserts in over 20 years of hard wearing and very cheap to replace, which cannot be said for ceramic.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:43 AM   #52
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Skin oils cause it. Shower, shampoo, toothbrush, fixed.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:47 AM   #53
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Oils from your fingers, just some foam soap and water and its as good as new, done it with my chnr.
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:04 AM   #54
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
Oils from your fingers, just some foam soap and water and its as good as new, done it with my chnr.
Is it safe to touch your Rolex?
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:19 AM   #55
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Is it safe to touch your Rolex?
As long as you recently washed your hands, are wearing linen gloves, and say a prayer of sanctification before you touch it.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 04:29 AM   #56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRikki View Post
Seen this on a few pre owned watch sales pages - in the top 12 oclock position triangle the coating looks worn away or something.

Just wondering what causes this and if its repairable.

My GMT c is showing signs of almost going that way (and I just bought it last week - its a 2012 though).

Thanks

Rikki

I noticed this with my ceramic GMT when I first got it, it's not wear like what Padi wrongly assumed.
It's just grease/ dirt. I used a piece of scotch tape, pressed it on the area and peeled it up, do it a few times it should be gone.

3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #57
Robert Bruce
Banned

The likely scenario: The large-ish open area of the triangle on the GMTs allows dirt and oils from the fingers and even clothing to touch the platinum coating. (On Subs, that can't happen due to the lumed 'jewel' at that location). In time, the unwanted contact could theoretically wear through the platinum coating. Annoying, but probably unavoidable.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 05:22 AM   #58
Rolex_Fan_
"TRF" Member

I couldn't wait to get rid of mine once dirt or whatever it was started to build. Disappointing to be honest. Along with the Pearl on the sub bezel not lining up correctly with the 12 o'clock mark. Couldn't wait to sell them all and lesson learned.
Rolex_Fan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #59
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I had this on my 116713LN, Q-tip with aceton and 10 seconds later gone.
Old 29 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Fan_ View Post
I couldn't wait to get rid of mine once dirt or whatever it was started to build. Disappointing to be honest. Along with the Pearl on the sub bezel not lining up correctly with the 12 o'clock mark. Couldn't wait to sell them all and lesson learned.
Seriously ... you sold your Submariner and GMT?

You’ll need to change your user name
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote