The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2021, 11:14 PM   #31
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

It’s a super cool watch, congrats.

Regarding your question: It’s not so difficult to get one, Rolex really makes a ton of them. So if you find the right combo of SA + right timing you will get one.
It’s not a Daytona, a GMT or a Green Sub.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:02 AM   #32
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Huge congrats on the incoming. The ND Sub is one of the coolest watches in the Rolex catalog. Hope it brings you much enjoyment.
Rick_Nashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:10 AM   #33
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
OP are you asking how you got lucky for giving a place of business $8100 plus tax? Also, out of curiosity did you end up buying the Cartier?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:14 AM   #34
GMANDAYTONA
"TRF" Member

Hugh congrats, realize I need to start putting in face time with my ADs again. Used to roll into one close by my work roughly once a week to shoot the shit. Was on the waitlist for a steel Daytona or Sub for over 2 years and then the financial crisis hit. Got the lucky call in 2010 and was offered a black sub no date about 4 months after I got the Daytona. Still kicking myself for not buying it.
GMANDAYTONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:03 AM   #35
cydesai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Congratulations! And ND Sub is just so perfect! That’s definitely sounds like some luck involved in how smoothly it all worked out.
cydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:17 AM   #36
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
Awesome story! Glad you got it!
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:47 AM   #37
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
OP are you asking how you got lucky for giving a place of business $8100 plus tax? Also, out of curiosity did you end up buying the Cartier?
Turns out the SolarBeat Must retail launch is delayed until next month.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:56 AM   #38
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Congratulations! It happens every now and then. Maybe more than reported. I got a Sub ND at a dealer I have no purchase history as well. I think the common thread is there was a genuine rapport between you and the SA. Personality and how you interact really plays a big factor.

Congrats again and wear in the best of health. Happy Tenth Anniversary as well

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 01:59 AM   #39
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
wow!! What a story!!! congrats!
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:14 AM   #40
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats. Not sure if luck can really be explained. People get lucky, that’s the nature of luck lol.

I’ve had my fair share of lucky acquisitions as well
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:16 AM   #41
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 05:44 AM   #42
soflonative
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!!!!...sometimes good things happen to good people! Enjoy!
Old 21 October 2021, 08:19 AM   #43
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Nice! I got one in three weeks with no purchase history.
Cwillis0001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:41 AM   #44
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Congrats. You got lucky. It happens sometimes.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 11:46 AM   #45
rolexaggie
"TRF" Member

I went to a couple different NYC ADs and had the opposite experience. I was looking for a ladies watch too. They weren't even interested in trying to help.
rolexaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:07 PM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, happy 10th
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:23 PM   #47
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Haha you’re the dude on Reddit with that idiot who didn’t believe you.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:27 PM   #48
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
It's nice to hear about minor miracles still happening from time to time. Lucky you for being on the receiving end, so congrats!
stark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:37 PM   #49
Jayhawks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Congrats! A fortuitous personal connection can go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:40 PM   #50
ks58
Banned

Wow, it's nice to see when these types of stories happen.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:38 PM   #51
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Haha you’re the dude on Reddit with that idiot who didn’t believe you.
Ha yep. That’s me.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 02:52 PM   #52
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Congrats, and enjoy! Thanks for sharing your story, always encouraging to see these land in the wild here and there.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:35 PM   #53
Steven1
"TRF" Member

Well done, health to enjoy
Steven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 07:14 PM   #54
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Box and Papers Bro!
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 08:31 PM   #55
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Cool you got your sub but c'mon. Its a freaking sub, not a green 5711. Posts are getting more insane by the day, pop is imminent
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:18 PM   #56
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
I am sure the SA's have their own "allocation" and waiting list rules where they work. Perhaps this SA's turn for the next ND Submariner came up and either he had someone back out or maybe he didn't have someone who could immediately buy it. If that is the case, then the watch might go to the next SA. In any event, you lucked out. Did you also buy the Cartier from that SA?
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:24 PM   #57
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
This is not a riddle. I’m genuinely asking how I managed to get so lucky!

Back story; I lived in NYC for 30 years. I’m now in Chicago. I go back to NYC regularly for business/pleasure.

On a recent 2 day visit, for fun, I called every AD in Manhattan, inquiring about a new Sub ND.

At one store (sorry, not naming names), I spoke with a very enthusiastic friendly SA. We chatted a bit and hit it off. I asked to be put on the waiting list. He asked for my phone number and said he would text me if something came up.

I have no prior history with this store or the SA.

About 5 days later he texted me to let me know he was 99% sure he was getting a Sub. He asked if there was any special occasion I was buying it for. Indeed, it was my 10th wedding anniversary. And I let him know my wife was also in the market for a steel Cartier tank…not exactly the Hope diamond sidecar purchase.

We chatted a bit more. A few days passed and the day he said he would know for sure, a Tuesday, came and went.

I texted him a couple days later, figuring he’d tell me the Sub wasn’t coming or went to a different customer. He told me he was still working on it. We chatted via text a bit more.

Then a few more days passed and I assumed it simply wasn’t happening.

I’d nearly put it out of my mind when out of the blue he texted again…”Why don’t you stop by and get your new watch fitted?”

Needless to say I was shocked and thrilled.

But I was also back in Chicago. He assumed I was local.

I had already mentally prepared for (fantasized) flying back to NYC if I actually got the call. I justified the expense of a round trip ticket by comparing the $8100 retail price of the watch to the $13K+ grey market price.

So I told him my situation, being in Chicago and all. I asked if I could pay for it over the phone and come pick it up the next day.

Now comes the truly baffling part...

His response was “If it’s paid in full, I have to ship it to you.”

What??? I thought ADs were forbidden to ship unless you’re buying in Vegas. Why would a major city dealer even bother to ship? Isn’t the wait list a mile long for any sport Rolex? Why me?

Of course I wasn’t about to ask him any of those questions…

He proceeded to send me a link for payment and a shipping authorization form to sign.

Maybe he vetted me by my email address or phone number or name, but he didn’t even ask for so much as a copy of my photo ID. For a second, I almost thought I was being scammed. But the payment link was legit (via the chain’s corporate website, not PayPal). The shipping form was legit. The SA is on LinkedIn. And when I called the next day to verify the delivery was on track, the person who answered the phone (not my SA) transferred me to a different guy in their shipping dept who confirmed.

And sure enough, by noon that day I was wearing a new Sub, without having spent a dime with store previously, AND had it shipped from NYC to Chicago. (And before someone says it, no, it’s not fake haha.)

I didn’t specifically ask the SA “Why me?” He had intimated that he liked chatting with me and that he liked the idea of the watch being purchased to celebrate my 10 year anniversary.

But beyond that, I’m at a loss to explain this minor miracle. Is the market softening? I’ve read a few anecdotes about people getting ‘the call” faster than anticipated lately. I’ve heard production was back up to full speed. What else could be at play here, beyond the good karma I continually try to spread by being a good tipper at restaurants and holding doors for people?
Congratulation's you was just in the AD at the right time, as all ADs are in business for one thing only. And thats to sell as many of there products they have for sale in there retail store to anyone that enters that store.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 11:01 PM   #58
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
This is not a riddle. I’m genuinely asking how I managed to get so lucky!

Back story; I lived in NYC for 30 years. I’m now in Chicago. I go back to NYC regularly for business/pleasure.

On a recent 2 day visit, for fun, I called every AD in Manhattan, inquiring about a new Sub ND.

At one store (sorry, not naming names), I spoke with a very enthusiastic friendly SA. We chatted a bit and hit it off. I asked to be put on the waiting list. He asked for my phone number and said he would text me if something came up.

I have no prior history with this store or the SA.

About 5 days later he texted me to let me know he was 99% sure he was getting a Sub. He asked if there was any special occasion I was buying it for. Indeed, it was my 10th wedding anniversary. And I let him know my wife was also in the market for a steel Cartier tank…not exactly the Hope diamond sidecar purchase.

We chatted a bit more. A few days passed and the day he said he would know for sure, a Tuesday, came and went.

I texted him a couple days later, figuring he’d tell me the Sub wasn’t coming or went to a different customer. He told me he was still working on it. We chatted via text a bit more.

Then a few more days passed and I assumed it simply wasn’t happening.

I’d nearly put it out of my mind when out of the blue he texted again…”Why don’t you stop by and get your new watch fitted?”

Needless to say I was shocked and thrilled.

But I was also back in Chicago. He assumed I was local.

I had already mentally prepared for (fantasized) flying back to NYC if I actually got the call. I justified the expense of a round trip ticket by comparing the $8100 retail price of the watch to the $13K+ grey market price.

So I told him my situation, being in Chicago and all. I asked if I could pay for it over the phone and come pick it up the next day.

Now comes the truly baffling part...

His response was “If it’s paid in full, I have to ship it to you.”

What??? I thought ADs were forbidden to ship unless you’re buying in Vegas. Why would a major city dealer even bother to ship? Isn’t the wait list a mile long for any sport Rolex? Why me?

Of course I wasn’t about to ask him any of those questions…

He proceeded to send me a link for payment and a shipping authorization form to sign.

Maybe he vetted me by my email address or phone number or name, but he didn’t even ask for so much as a copy of my photo ID. For a second, I almost thought I was being scammed. But the payment link was legit (via the chain’s corporate website, not PayPal). The shipping form was legit. The SA is on LinkedIn. And when I called the next day to verify the delivery was on track, the person who answered the phone (not my SA) transferred me to a different guy in their shipping dept who confirmed.

And sure enough, by noon that day I was wearing a new Sub, without having spent a dime with store previously, AND had it shipped from NYC to Chicago. (And before someone says it, no, it’s not fake haha.)

I didn’t specifically ask the SA “Why me?” He had intimated that he liked chatting with me and that he liked the idea of the watch being purchased to celebrate my 10 year anniversary.

But beyond that, I’m at a loss to explain this minor miracle. Is the market softening? I’ve read a few anecdotes about people getting ‘the call” faster than anticipated lately. I’ve heard production was back up to full speed. What else could be at play here, beyond the good karma I continually try to spread by being a good tipper at restaurants and holding doors for people?

Congrats, what you heard about people getting the call sooner than one could possibly expect is true. Happened to many and will continue to happen.
I relate to you story as my SA open the doors of his vault to me without any spending history at their Rolex Boutique.
Impossible is nothing…
Enjoy that beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2021, 01:59 AM   #59
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats OP! It’s a great feeling. The story of how I acquired my 124060 is similar to yours.
Old 22 October 2021, 02:10 AM   #60
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Got my 124060 Nov 2020 ,my son has it now.
If you see a very well built athlete with a Sub ND running around in NC,its him .

Waiting for a pepsi since launch ,but got a GMT Meteorite in 2021.

Its unpredictable.

Enjoy .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote