The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 November 2021, 01:41 AM   #31
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Lots of fakes in the 4 digit world and service parts….if you ever try to trade a 4 digit piece for a newer watch you will more than likely get this response…..”I love it but I don’t know enough about them to feel comfortable to trade”
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 02:36 AM   #32
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I think some of the 1675s are way overvalued when they entered the 20-25k territory. That's not a push above because of 16710s either and having to keep a distance between models.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 08:04 AM   #33
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Maybe 4 digit subs and gmt’s have simply had their day.
Respectfully disagree. They're liquid like cash, and I believe prices for good examples will continue to rise in the long term as they have done for 60+ years.

Markets always go up and down, but rise in the long run.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 09:10 AM   #34
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Talking of 1680 prices...

https://www.collection-heure.be/en/w...set-unpolished

(I'm not connected in any way with the watch or the store - just posted for the (possible) interest of forum members.)
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:49 AM   #35
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
......simply because I don't see anything on the market as nice anymore. I'd never be able to replace them.
I see this comment often. Unless you are personally trying to trade up to a better quality piece for a collection, why would want to buy the same model again after you sold it?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 01:55 PM   #36
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
This for sure. Just in the last couple of years I’ve seen big price jumps in four digit Rolexes, 16XX, and they seem to be bought at a good pace. They are nice wearable watches and I suppose the prices won’t cripple the bank account.

I’m not sure I understand why Air Kings and Air King Dates are an exception to this, but they seem to be….

14060s have nearly doubled. But honestly, at 4500-5k, they were probably underpriced. I’ve seen a few pop up lately at 12k, which is probably too much. It does seem like the new Instagram collector isn’t interested in vintage. Hopefully that means a more realistic market for those of us that want vintage Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 04:39 PM   #37
ptaha1967
"TRF" Member

It seems to me that a lot of people either got burned or don’t want to get burned with the vintage. Replacement anythings and dial condition, case polished vs not, box and papers….There are too many things to consider and the price of mistake is huge, and that I think that ultimately affect the value.. Everyone can flip a modern Rolex though so it’s both easier and safer from the investment side and does look good on Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptaha1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 04:42 PM   #38
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBigCrown View Post
Talking of 1680 prices...
WOW! That’s a letter to Santa!!
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:13 PM   #39
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I see this comment often. Unless you are personally trying to trade up to a better quality piece for a collection, why would want to buy the same model again after you sold it?
Yes, exactly that, getting a better piece, or perhaps a collector wants to acquire a different watch but same model because it comes as a full set. Or, you trade/sell one watch to acquire a different reference you always wanted to try, and then 1-2 years later you want to re-acquire the one you let go because you miss it.

I went through cycles like this for years, but recently stopped because great examples of certain references started to dry up. Vintage dealers will say the same thing, that it's harder and harder nowadays to source excellent examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Lots of fakes in the 4 digit world and service parts….if you ever try to trade a 4 digit piece for a newer watch you will more than likely get this response…..”I love it but I don’t know enough about them to feel comfortable to trade”
Sure, some dealers might give you this response, but there are plenty of other dealers, those who specialize in vintage, who are happy to take vintage Rolexes in trade or just buy them outright. And keep in mind that there are far more fakes of new Rolexes than vintage. There are many websites dedicated to "replica" Rolexes of modern references. The market is flooded with them.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:48 PM   #40
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Sure, some dealers might give you this response, but there are plenty of other dealers, those who specialize in vintage, who are happy to take vintage Rolexes in trade or just buy them outright. And keep in mind that there are far more fakes of new Rolexes than vintage. There are many websites dedicated to "replica" Rolexes of modern references. The market is flooded with them.
This ^.
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 03:36 AM   #41
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Another random thought that just hit me…both 5 and 6 digit SS sport Rolexes have glossy dials whereas both 1680 and 1675 have matte dials, can it be that the glossiness appeals more to the new Rolex crowd that are more interested in something that “blings” a bit?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote