The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2024, 01:11 AM   #31
lencap
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the replies, and they seem to be suggesting either selling the watches that aren't being used, or keep them and enjoy them, even if they aren't used frequently. Those thoughts echo my dilemma.

What your comments have also allowed me to look at my watches differently. I can relate it other hobbies in my life: audio, photography and cars.

I've been an "audiophile" for many decades. It's another hobby that can appeal to the specs of certain gear, or the enjoyment of listening to great music in a pleasant surrounding. As I reflect back on my audio hobby I recall years ago the joy of taking the time to find the equipment that would reproduce music in a way I found enjoyable. That was primarily tubed electronics, manual record player, and high fidelity wide acoustic range speakers. Over the years, driven by technology, the gear morphed into a digital realm, but even though the gear changed, the music was still the focal point. Now, I realize, that despite technically superior sound reproduction that's now available in many formats, it isn't as rewarding as the older fully immersive experience of cleaning a record manually, gently placing the needle in the groove, waiting for the tubed pre-amp/amp to warm up, and finding the perfect "sweet spot" to sit to experience the best sound possible. I still have a wonderful audiophile setup, and even though I don't listen to it everyday, I know that I can listen to it whenever I want. I also have the option of listening to the speakers, or if I prefer I can listen through high end headphones. Vinyl records are slowly making a comeback - likely part nostalgia, but also the visceral experience plays a part.

My photographic skills are perhaps a bit above average, but by no means professional. Over the years I remember dad teaching me how to develop black/white film, and wonderful mystery of watching a negative swirl in a chemical bath, ending with an image magically appearing as it developed. I've owned many cameras/systems over the years, and moved from film to digital, following the technology as it matured into something that has far more dynamic range and editing potential than my film memories every provided. Still, despite the technically superior image creating opportunities today, I miss the physical involvement of actual film, and understand why it is being rediscovered by a new generation. Like my stereo hobby, my expensive cameras aren't used often, and from that perspective they are "under-utilized", and an inefficient use of my financial assets.

My third, and most consuming hobby, is motor vehicles. I've owned several dozen vehicles over the decades, and have enjoyed racing in many forms including cars and motorcycles. I've spent many hours driving at over 200 MPH on various tracks and closed courses, including a personal best speed of 232 MPH, where I was a passenger enjoying an adrenaline rush as my best friend was at the wheel in his specially modified car. My personal best as a driver was 186MPH, in a friend's car. I've owned many cars, from modest economy cars, to high end sports cars. My daily drive is a Tesla, but when I want to enjoy the ride my Miata manual transmission car is the one I look for.

Technically the modern choices for most things are superior to older options, but somehow they're not often as satisfying, and that's what your posts/comments have reminded me. I've been fortunate that I can own some toys that don't get used often, but when I do use them they put a smile on my face. I think you've led me to realize that in some ways my underused watches are in that same category - things I don't use often, but enjoy owning, and they're there when I want to use them.

Not sure that's my final answer, but it seems to be a pretty good choice, at least for now.

Thanks for the help!
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:56 AM   #32
5thLegion
"TRF" Member

For me personally, I would keep the 36mm DJ, the BB58 and the Apple as beater/daily travel watch. You have all your bases covered.
5thLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 08:33 AM   #33
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I’m just going to agree that while modern things are often technically superior, they are so often less satisfying, particularly cars. Think Porsche 993/997 or E46 M3 - everything these days is too electronic and/ or digital.

At least modern Rolexes are still mechanical which gives me a sense of satisfaction! I write this as I sit in front of a roaring coal fire which will probably be banned soon as well! I must be getting old.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote