The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2022, 12:38 AM   #31
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I’m going to sound like weirdo, but the DJ41. I saw the configuration I have and immediately loved it.

I’ve typically been only a sports profesional model type guy and typically only had those. The DJ41 sort of caused me to rethink what I think a Rolex should be. It doesn’t have to just be pure sports, but it can be elegant and sporty all at once. I’ve been looking more back towards sport watches recently, and am waiting on a Sub. It definitely changed course of my collection though as my last few watches were sort of the same idea where it kind of tiptoes between sports and elegant.
Old 27 February 2022, 12:40 AM   #32
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
When I bought a Royal Oak Offshore Diver, I made the mistake of breaking the 4 digit pound barrier, and once you’ve broken that mental barrier and accepted spending 5 digits, it’s a slippery slope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:49 AM   #33
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
When I bought a Royal Oak Offshore Diver, I made the mistake of breaking the 4 digit pound barrier, and once you’ve broken that mental barrier and accepted spending 5 digits, it’s a slippery slope!

That's a great point.

I "used" to look at full PM models and think "oof that aint for me"

Then you buy your first, and then your second, and then it just goes up from there. The amount of money I've considered spending going Grey on a 505/515 used to be soooooooooo far from anything I thought I'd ever do

Still holding on to the hope's of getting that call...............................
Old 27 February 2022, 01:59 AM   #34
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

So for me, it was a negative space experience. My only watch for years was my 16223 champagne dial. As I got older, it became harder to read. I foolishly sold it at the end of 2019, just as the Rolex craze began. Naively, I thought I could easily (!) find another Rolex. I picked up a GS spring drive Ti diver after starting to learn more about horology and movement technology. Then I picked up a Speedmaster racing chrono because of the co-axial movement. But the lack of a Rolex on my wrist continued to bug me. It seems I’m a day late and a dollar short on building a watch collection, but hope springs eternal.

Speaking of movements, my grail Rolex right now is an SD because of the 9001. YMMV

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:08 AM   #35
Kt92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
My very first watch, a Timex Cavatina at age 9 that I begged and pleaded for and dutifully wound every day and wore for 10 years…that was my first start in being crazy for watches. Broke into “luxury” when I got a Cartier Santos for my college graduation from my mom that I wore for another 10 years or so and made me appreciate the beauty of all kinds of luxury watch brands. And finally my first Rolex in 2004 that got me into this craziness. But I love them all and have given me such memories!
Kt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:00 AM   #36
ryangambrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
My first automatic mechanical watch. A Tag 2000 Series Chrono Automatic. A gift for my 16th birthday.
- Sub SS & Sub TT w/ Serti
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:00 AM   #37
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I’m going to sound like weirdo, but the DJ41. I saw the configuration I have and immediately loved it.

It definitely changed course of my collection though as my last few watches were sort of the same idea where it kind of tiptoes between sports and elegant.
Not a weirdo at all! Same with me and the OP. It can handle anything the sports models and look better (arguably) doing it.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:04 AM   #38
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
The piece that changed my collection would have to be my Breitling Superocean Heritage II. Before I had this piece I just used Got tier Casio’s and G-shocks because of the reliability and affordability. But after I got my Breitling I began to become interested in horology more and more and so my collection grew.
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:04 AM   #39
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
By the way, what are your guys’ thoughts on the God Tier CASIO watches?
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:06 AM   #40
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I made the mistake of breaking the 4 digit pound barrier, and once you’ve broken that mental barrier and accepted spending 5 digits, it’s a slippery slope!

That is one of the things I have yet to do and fear. “Oh, I’ll never spend over $1k.” Blew past that. “Oh, I’ll never spend over $10k.” I’ve knocked on that 10k door, though. Not doing that in the future will be next to impossible. Saw a secondary OP Dominoes yesterday for $7.5k. Ugh...

Old 27 February 2022, 03:31 AM   #41
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I’m going to come at this from a different angle.

I bought my sd43 unpolished and it had quite a few (only surface marks) marks on it. It made me enjoy the watch so much more as in my mind once it gets to that point it at some point will need polishing anyway. I now wear all my watches this way and it’s enlightening as to before I wasn’t by any means OCD but I was more careful. I don’t pay a single thought to it now, and no dents or dings so far for (at which point is probably when I would go for a polish).
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:36 AM   #42
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I’m going to come at this from a different angle.

I bought my sd43 unpolished and it had quite a few (only surface marks) marks on it. It made me enjoy the watch so much more as in my mind once it gets to that point it at some point will need polishing anyway. I now wear all my watches this way and it’s enlightening as to before I wasn’t by any means OCD but I was more careful. I don’t pay a single thought to it now, and no dents or dings so far for (at which point is probably when I would go for a polish).

The first scratch and then dent are the hardest. I see your point. Put a pretty bad dent in mine while packing up my grandparent’s place after they both passed around the same time.

I thought about having it repaired but decided against it. All part of the journey.

Old 27 February 2022, 06:08 AM   #43
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
That is one of the things I have yet to do and fear. “Oh, I’ll never spend over $1k.” Blew past that. “Oh, I’ll never spend over $10k.” I’ve knocked on that 10k door, though. Not doing that in the future will be next to impossible. Saw a secondary OP Dominoes yesterday for $7.5k. Ugh...

Slippery slope my friend, slippery slope! Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 07:32 PM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
So true, my friend. We were so lucky. I remember being sorely tempted by a PM GMT2c that was like 16-17k but eventually ruled it out bc it was too much money. It wasn't just PM either. Passed on a 5711 in the low 20's, same reason. But, to be honest, there were deals like this all day long.

The one good thing, though, about the present crazy state of things is finally seeing PM being given the respect it deserves. I mean, when I first joined TRF, you'd see a gold incoming and read stuff like, "yeah, that's nice, but why would you spend that much on something that's gonna lose so much money?"

Different story today.

P.S. Nice Aqua. Love it.
Cheers, Larry. Yes trying to justify the 3/4 times premium for a PM over SS was a real thing back then.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 07:37 PM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Very true Vince, when I joined here I never imagined buying a PM, then under TRF's heavy influence I was persuaded to buy my first, but at a large discount ofc, and then a few more followed... looks like you went the same way once the barrier of what you want to, rather than can, afford gets broken down.
Old 27 February 2022, 09:14 PM   #46
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I’d say this one

For a few years I’d chased various sports watches. Then I bought this and very quickly fell in love with the completely different feel and look of dress watches or at the very least watches on straps. I wore this almost for the entire summer in 2015, very odd to wear this with shorts and t shirt but I loved it.

They usually bring so much more than a steel sports watch. Interesting case shapes, lug design, dial design, applied markers, dial fonts, dual finish hands, polishing skill, complications, exhibition case backs. They are also more versatile than you think apart from with water.

bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:19 PM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting question Rob

I wasn’t a collector when I started, but I knew I wanted a good watch, and so for me, that was a Rolex diver (16600) ….those National Geographic ads

I still wouldn’t really call myself a collector, but what that first Rolex really did was it heightened my awareness for watches and for quality things in general
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 12:14 AM   #48
Houston77
"TRF" Member

What Piece Changed The Course of Your Collection?

Great thread! When I first started watch collecting, I was really into dress pieces. Then, I started preferring true sports pieces. Eventually, my Dad gave me a TT YM he wasn’t wearing, and it made me realize I really enjoy “dressier” sports models because of their versatility, durability, etc. Now I’m on my AD’s list for my grail — a VC Overseas.

Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 01:49 AM   #49
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

It was my DateJust II. Never had looked at anything other than the Professional/ Sports references, and then all of a sudden, the 41mm DJ II, got me looking at everything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg djii.jpg (93.3 KB, 172 views)
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 04:48 AM   #50
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
White 116000 (OP 36mm).

This piece is the single most comfortable watch I've ever worn and also the most beautiful. I've worn it just about every day since I bought it.

I've made a few "discoveries" with this watch.
  • First: An "entry" Rolex model doesn't mean that it has any inherent compromise. In fact, I've come to realize that owning just ONE Rolex pretty much gives you the experience of nearly the entire catalog. The Oyster case and design ethos are so pure and raw in their expression within the OP. I doubt Hans Wilsdorf himself would change anything about it. It's simple, elegant, and timeless. The dial is impeccable. A truly perfect watch.
  • Second: The modern Rolex bracelet is incredible. I have spent most of my life avoiding steel/metal bracelets because I have always found them uncomfortable on most brands. Sharp, unrefined edges, leaving marks on my skin, pulling at hairs (and I have hairy arms)... the oyster bracelet makes absolutely NO offense and feels like fine silk on the wrist. It's amazing. There's just the right amount of taper and the clasp is a feat of engineering excellence. Now that I have experienced this level of quality in bracelet and clasp, I've come to expect that quality in any watch that I spend big $$$ on... so naturally I am left with a sense of disappointment in many other brands. In some ways one could argue this has spoiled my experience in other brands, but I think it is more appropriate to say that I now have a higher sense of scrutiny.
  • Third: You can only wear one watch at a time. I have a few pieces and sometimes I struggle to pick which one I'll put on. The OP36 usually wins the battle, owing to its supreme comfort and incredible versatility. It makes me think: "How many of these do you really need?"
  • Finally: At the end of the day, it's about what YOU love and you should wear what's true to your own heart. Too often it seems people are just following the herd, or thinking about only the hottest/"investment" piece. My OP doesn't get all the glamor shots on instagram, twitter, tiktok, whatever. It's not some crazy hype piece or widely-perceived grail that everyone is trying to get. Nevertheless, I truly adore this watch and actually feel that it is a better fit for me than a sub, or a GMT. It certainly fits my smaller wrist in a better way and it also serves my needs just fine, as 100m waterproofness is all that I could need and I don't care much for the date or second time zone. This perfect, beautiful, under-the-radar masterpiece fits my lifestyle and brings me a sense of satisfaction that leaves me thinking: "maybe my grail is the watch I already own, here on my wrist." I think that sort of bond is what makes it so special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg op36mac.jpg (195.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 28 February 2022, 06:27 AM   #51
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I’d say this one

For a few years I’d chased various sports watches. Then I bought this and very quickly fell in love with the completely different feel and look of dress watches or at the very least watches on straps. I wore this almost for the entire summer in 2015, very odd to wear this with shorts and t shirt but I loved it.

They usually bring so much more than a steel sports watch. Interesting case shapes, lug design, dial design, applied markers, dial fonts, dual finish hands, polishing skill, complications, exhibition case backs. They are also more versatile than you think apart from with water.

Great reference. I’ve come to really appreciate JLC, ALS & VC as I learn more about the Hx of Horology.
Old 28 February 2022, 06:28 AM   #52
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
White 116000 (OP 36mm).

This piece is the single most comfortable watch I've ever worn and also the most beautiful. I've worn it just about every day since I bought it.

• First: An "entry" Rolex model doesn't mean that it has any inherent compromise. In fact, I've come to realize that owning just ONE Rolex pretty much gives you the experience of nearly the entire catalog. The Oyster case and design ethos are so pure and raw in their expression within the OP. I doubt Hans Wilsdorf himself would change anything about it. It's simple, elegant, and timeless. The dial is impeccable. A truly perfect watch.
  • Second: The modern Rolex bracelet is incredible. I have spent most of my life avoiding steel/metal bracelets because I have always found them uncomfortable on most brands. Sharp, unrefined edges, leaving marks on my skin, pulling at hairs (and I have hairy arms)... the oyster bracelet makes absolutely NO offense and feels like fine silk on the wrist. It's amazing. There's just the right amount of taper and the clasp is a feat of engineering excellence. Now that I have experienced this level of quality in bracelet and clasp, I've come to expect that quality in any watch that I spend big $$$ on... so naturally I am left with a sense of disappointment in many other brands. In some ways one could argue this has spoiled my experience in other brands, but I think it is more appropriate to say that I now have a higher sense of scrutiny.
  • Third: You can only wear one watch at a time. I have a few pieces and sometimes I struggle to pick which one I'll put on. The OP36 usually wins the battle, owing to its supreme comfort and incredible versatility. It makes me think: "How many of these do you really need?"
  • Finally: At the end of the day, it's about what YOU love and you should wear what's true to your own heart. Too often it seems people are just following the herd, or thinking about only the hottest/"investment" piece. My OP doesn't get all the glamor shots on instagram, twitter, tiktok, whatever. It's not some crazy hype piece or widely-perceived grail that everyone is trying to get. Nevertheless, I truly adore this watch and actually feel that it is a better fit for me than a sub, or a GMT. It certainly fits my smaller wrist in a better way and it also serves my needs just fine, as 100m waterproofness is all that I could need and I don't care much for the date or second time zone. This perfect, beautiful, under-the-radar masterpiece fits my lifestyle and brings me a sense of satisfaction that leaves me thinking: "maybe my grail is the watch I already own, here on my wrist." I think that sort of bond is what makes it so special.
Thx for a thoughtful and sincere post. Collecting can mean so many different things to different people.
Old 28 February 2022, 07:40 AM   #53
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Discovering PM pieces... I still enjoy SS but find myself gravitate toward my gold subs and Daytonas the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116618a.jpg (111.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 116505a.jpg (106.1 KB, 140 views)

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 07:49 AM   #54
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
It's the watch in my avatar. S serial 16710 Coke. Bought that for $4k in 2012 from a local dealer. So that was secondary retail price just 10 years ago. Needless to say it has gotten a little out of hand since then.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 09:01 AM   #55
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
It's the watch in my avatar. S serial 16710 Coke. Bought that for $4k in 2012 from a local dealer. So that was secondary retail price just 10 years ago. Needless to say it has gotten a little out of hand since then.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Haha, understatement!!
Old 28 February 2022, 09:49 AM   #56
becky
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
White 116000 (OP 36mm).

100% echo out the same sentiments I have about this reference. Quality of this brand reflects simply on the Oyster Perpetual.
The simplicity and no nonsense look balance between an aura of elegance and sportiness is what drawn me to this model.

Well written post TimeAZ!
becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 11:10 AM   #57
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
White 116000 (OP 36mm).

Wonderfully put! Glad to hear you enjoy your watch so much. I couldn't agree more with the OP. I went with the 34mm to have a more vintage feel in a modern package.
Old 1 March 2022, 01:40 AM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Interesting question Rob

I wasn’t a collector when I started, but I knew I wanted a good watch, and so for me, that was a Rolex diver (16600) ….those National Geographic ads

I still wouldn’t really call myself a collector, but what that first Rolex really did was it heightened my awareness for watches and for quality things in general
With 55K posts if you're not a collector then who is? You da man, Tbone.
Old 1 March 2022, 01:46 AM   #59
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
With 55K posts if you're not a collector then who is? You da man, Tbone.
He's a connoisseur.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 01:50 AM   #60
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
It had to be my Rolex CHNR. After owning and wearing one Datejust for more than 30 years I bought my first GMT II and it renewed my interest. Been downhill ever since !
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote