The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2012, 10:23 AM   #31
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
I am confused....
So what are these company vouchers exactly?
How do they allow you a 15-20% discount?
Let me hazard a guess.

His company has an arrangement with Signet. Perhaps an insurance company or the like.

The arrangement would be for a specific discount, perhaps 15 or 20%.

Simple.
Old 22 September 2012, 11:10 AM   #32
usmc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK
I thought money talks......period.
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 11:25 AM   #33
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
wow, I am speechless, and very pitted off

1. how did they know your forum/internet activity?

2. It's your money, your watch, you can do flip it as you please (and this goes for ferrari, patek etc). This is what collecting is about, whether watches, guns, rare coins or pez dispensers.
And what's with the vetting process? It's not like getting an organ transplant

3. That AD can take a long walk off a short pier, sure they can refuse to sell you a watch but it seems like a gross breach of privacy

In the end it's a watch, not nuclear weapons

jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 12:28 PM   #34
supertrooper
"TRF" Member

What crap. Shade of BIG BROTHER. I'm more concerned about invasion of privacy issues, but still what they did, refuse to sell to you, is really out of order.

Is this what we can expect from all AD's and eventually Rolex S.A. going forward? Things are starting to look bleak, indeed.
supertrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 12:44 PM   #35
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Crazy story! Sorry to hear man!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 12:49 PM   #36
Z3grape
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC, DJII TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
If you bought it and wore it. For 6 months and decided to take the hit or break even and buy something else, I'd think it a win win situation for everyone involved. I don't get their attitude at the store level or possibly higher.

The whole attitude that Rolex USA has bothers me.....Does Ferrari refuse to service your car if you customize it after the purchase?
I think this was in the UK ... Not the USA.
Z3grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 01:01 PM   #37
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
This is probably one of the most unbelievable stories I have ever on TRF, possibly in the business world in general. This company should be more concerned with selling watches rather than checking someone's forum activity.
liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 01:06 PM   #38
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Let me hazard a guess.

His company has an arrangement with Signet. Perhaps an insurance company or the like.

The arrangement would be for a specific discount, perhaps 15 or 20%.

Simple.
well....not simple in my opinion....we are talking about thousands of dollars.

There must be some conditions and limitations on these "agreements"

What are the terms of the agreement?
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 04:35 PM   #39
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
Answers to questions

To answer a few questions the

How did they find out my online name see link to an ad I posted the bottom pic of invoice has a number that unknown to me at the time they used to track the sale.

Again confirmation that they are watching these are the images that were shown to me at the AD, they refer to them in the letter we do not store these adverts but you can look at them on line.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=201124

My company entitles me to buy store cards at 12% discount because I had purchased one watch I was given 5% by the manager off the next one I purchased hence the 15-20% discount stated bt them, with the fee etc it actually equated to 16.5% discount.

The store card company did after lenghty disscussions and speaking to severall managers refund me almost all of my money less card fees approx £95.00 Thanks Signet!

On the up side my company allows to buy store cards for many other jewellers that supply Rolex so I can still buy at a discount.

Best

Sean
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 04:38 PM   #40
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
ADs in general are ridiculous. There are only a handful in which I would spend money in. This isn't surprising. Sucks though.
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 09:02 PM   #41
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If I may ask, how many transactions like this with the vouchers did you do with the store?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 10:41 PM   #42
kymwatchlog
Banned

wow. this is one crazy story. sad but true.

you buy as a walk in customer, not some off-record undertable arrangement that gives u a big discount. the AD still make in the end, selling to u or another customer.

there is no agreement that "i will be the first and final owner of your rolex watch and not allowed to sell to another party".

they are not making a loss selling to you so i wonder why they go thru such lengths to do the PI work..

crazy AD.
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 10:43 PM   #43
kymwatchlog
Banned

an AD (non-Rolex) once told me he is happy i am buying, wearing and selling off his watches as this means i will go back to him to buy more.
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2012, 10:55 PM   #44
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Icon14 Odd indeed, but justice prevailed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Intriguing. Well, if it's any consolation, the Signet group are losing Rolex anyway, so you won't have to put up with their shenanigans any longer
This is the best justice or outcome one would hope to hear...!
Old 22 September 2012, 11:01 PM   #45
learningtofly

Watch: Hmmm...
I'm not often left speechless, but...
Old 22 September 2012, 11:33 PM   #46
supertrooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koronet-kid View Post
see link to an ad I posted the bottom pic of invoice has a number that unknown to me at the time they used to track the sale.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=201124
Now I'm kinda confused. You say you are a flipper, but looking at the way you worded your ad:

"Picked up today from the AD all protective stickers in place UNWORN with everthing as it should be from the AD all booklets and warranty card etc( AD had to put my name on card)"

all the signs seem to point to someone who trade watches, brand new at that, not the deifinition at all of a flipper in my book. And if you do this on a regular basis... you get my point?

But then that does not explain why Signet won't sell you any more Rolexes, cause it's not like they are losing money when you buy those watches in the first place.

Now I'm starting to feel there's more to this whole saga than meets the eye. JMO.
supertrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 02:06 AM   #47
Check
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer (124270)
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrooper View Post
Now I'm kinda confused. You say you are a flipper, but looking at the way you worded your ad:

"Picked up today from the AD all protective stickers in place UNWORN with everthing as it should be from the AD all booklets and warranty card etc( AD had to put my name on card)"

all the signs seem to point to someone who trade watches, brand new at that, not the deifinition at all of a flipper in my book. And if you do this on a regular basis... you get my point?

But then that does not explain why Signet won't sell you any more Rolexes, cause it's not like they are losing money when you buy those watches in the first place.

Now I'm starting to feel there's more to this whole saga than meets the eye. JMO.
Not sure what to make of this, but even taking this into account doesn't make sense because the AD should still be made whole at the end of the day since they received payment in full (even if it was at the reduced voucher price).
Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 02:47 AM   #48
bokbok
"TRF" Member

Unreal that similar thing happen to a friend of mine with Ernest jones
bokbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 02:53 AM   #49
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Not sure what to make of this, but even taking this into account doesn't make sense because the AD should still be made whole at the end of the day since they received payment in full (even if it was at the reduced voucher price).

Well, I'm sure the corporate relationship giving x% off for employees wasn't meant for employees to take advantage and start dealing watches....so, the AD's mother ship probably wanted to put a stop to it.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 03:43 AM   #50
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO
This isn't unusual for EJ, Signet and Company discounts aren't for dealers, hence the ban on purchasing. Ask any grey dealer, their name will be on the banned list too.
ChuckFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 03:45 AM   #51
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I can hardly blame the AD for disliking the fact that you are picking up a brand new watch (the Exp II 42 was very rare in October 2011) with a significant company discount and reselling it the same day with a personal profit.

And I am surprised that you are surprised that they are taking offense.
For sure the deposit number on the invoice made it easy to trace back the transaction.

However I am surprised that they really do trace the sales ad here so intensively - Rolex will do for sure as well.

Because of this it's hard for me to see people bragging here around that their AD X in town Y gave them a discount of Z%.
I am sure, that these shops will get a call and have a very uncomfortable conversation.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 04:00 AM   #52
Awesome Jim

Watch: And wear
Definitely not to win any friends on this, please let me present two scenarios:

Cust 1 will only by the newest, hard to get watches, generally after grinding, often tells the friends his special price, sometimes exaggerated. Will only buy something else in the store if its half price- no profit for store. If anything goes even slightly wrong with either watch, God help the store. Wants every available freebie, appraisal, etc,etc. Often re-sells unworn within minutes or weeks of purchasing, even if dealer had to go through hoops and call in favors to get the watch. And then sells the free gifts. Other customers mention to you that he made unflattering ( not always fair) comments to others about your store, on or off the net.

Cust 2 likes a little of everything (including some of the perk watches), and is willing to pay a fair,reasonable price as the market would deem appropriate. Probably buys a few things like diamonds for his wife along the way, brings friends in with similar buying patterns (and he gives your store the strongest possible recommendations). Maybe there's the odd positive comment on the Internet. Any appraisals, special pricing,gifts, etc, gratefully accepted. Often calls to say thank you after the fact. Might ask personal questions from you that only friends would care about. Keeps most of his watches but sells the odd one that doesn't feel right or has become dated.

The dealer just received the hottest watch of the year and probably won't get a second one. Regardless of who asked, who do you think will get it?

Ps the watch manufacturers pay attention to which dealers are constantly feeding the secondary market with hot watches. And they alsonwatchnthese forums.
J
Awesome Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 04:42 AM   #53
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I hear Ferrari does this, as they do not want somebody else selling a car for a profit that they could have sold. But a Rolex AD? Come on.... that is beyond ridiculous.

find yourself a new AD, or use a trusted seller right here on TRF.
The difference being, Ferrari will sell you a car which might have a two year waiting list, but you will only pay the price that the car was at the time of ordering; try getting a Rolex watch from an AD at the price it was when you first ordered it, not a cat in hells chance.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 04:46 AM   #54
Enoch
"TRF" Member

This is one of the reasons I try and keep as much personal info off the net as possible....

Not that I buy and sell high end watches or anything else for that matter, but the less info that's out there about me the better in my view
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 06:17 AM   #55
SKYFALL
Banned

Watch: a few
interesting
SKYFALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 10:50 AM   #56
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
I agree this is BS. But, any vender can choose not to sell to someone.

I agree with this, but I would think by discriminating against selling to a certain person, that would open up a large possibility for lawsuits... Would Rolex subject themselves to that?
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 12:39 PM   #57
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I agree with this, but I would think by discriminating against selling to a certain person, that would open up a large possibility for lawsuits... Would Rolex subject themselves to that?
As mentioned above in other posts, PP do it all the time, ditto Ferrari. I don't like the policy, but what discrimination law were you thinking it might be under?
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 01:05 PM   #58
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Sorry man but I also see why the AD is hacked too. You are making a full retail sale in there area. They would rather see your customers come to them and pay full price. I also understand why you are upset too. it's kind of a glass half empty half full situation.
Old 24 September 2012, 08:43 PM   #59
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
How odd. You have every right to be furious with them. I'm glad they are losing the brand, let em sell something else.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 09:51 PM   #60
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

I think the AD is only concerned because they might be seen by Rolex HQ as if they where selling watches from the back door to a gray dealer.... we all know if this is the case Rolex HQ would not be happy at all...

Of course the buyer can do whatever he wants with the watch after he paid for it.. but it is also the store right to sell to whoever they want..(if this is legal)...