The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 March 2010, 05:06 AM   #31
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

DW72;
It didn't take long for the black paint to wear off the lettering from the case backs.
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 06:24 AM   #32
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
I have never seen a DRSD with black lettering on the caseback. Even on the DRSD website.......this is the first one I have ever seen. Only the newer models have black lettering on the back. Those look more like wear on the back of the lugs than it looks like scratches IMO. My caseback has never been polished and it doesn't have black lettering.
sooooooo.. based on your vast knowledge base, years of experience and having handled thousands of watches the implication of your statement, and your moving it to VRF and posting the pictures there is :

1. that neither i, or eric ku, one of the worlds most prominent dealers dont know what we are talking about

or

2. the watch case has been polished and the caseback letters painted a black colour - which in your opinion they never were, because 'only new ones have black on'....and through the out of focus shot you can see the wear marks on the case lugs that i've failed to hide in my attempt to prove you wrong and besmirch your perfect example watch ...................................... lord give me strength.

and fyi...that isnt the first one you've seen , in the very original thread where we started talking about this i gave you a link to the James dowling example found in 2006 in a safe.. the reason drsd doesnt have NOS examples shown for each different mark is because they are rare as Hens teeth, what is shown is very good very nice examples.. and as the author od drsd is now a member here perheaps you could ask him what NOS looks like as it appears he's the only person you may listen to.

jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 06:31 AM   #33
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Wow, what a beauty. Thanks for sharing.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 09:54 AM   #34
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Nice stuff Jed.
Dad's only needs a sharpie

Was the price diff between a 1680 and DRSD < $100US? at this time?
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:08 AM   #35
jedly1
"TRF" Member

here you go

taken me an hour to get something approaching a clear shot... note no wear on lug, no wear bewteen lugs on case.. just the scratches from still crisp sharp end pieces and from a clumsy jeweller.

if you would like to recreate them just take your bracelet on and off three or four times with a jewellers screwdriver

Old 29 March 2010, 10:16 AM   #36
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, that bastard has a better condition DRSD than I do too. Where is my magic marker......?
Someone will always have a better example of any given reference. What's important to the hobby in general and you and me in particular is that collectors and gentlemen like Jed willingly share their information and expertise with all of us.

Without the generosity of collectors of this calibre we would not be where we are at today.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:27 AM   #37
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Someone will always have a better example of any given reference. What's important to the hobby in general and you and me in particular is that collectors and gentlemen like Jed willingly share their information and expertise with all of us.

Without the generosity of collectors of this calibre we would not be where we are at today.

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:33 AM   #38
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor/Rolex Divers
This has got to be the nicest Double Red in the world! Its sooooo mint. Wow!!
Member #88
Instagram : @jwlife37
J.Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:48 AM   #39
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
One guy on the Vintage RF said that mine might not have had an edge like that from the factory since Rolex was inconsistant with these models from that time period (which makes sense). I also remember seeing/holding the watch when I was 10 years old. It layed around the house on my fathers dresser, coffee table, ect... but I never remember it having black lettering on the back or a time when it was peeling off.
Err buddy...usually Orchi does NOT listen so much to hardcore dealers...

Buddy Jedly is only one of the few true EXPERTS when it comes to...
MOST things about Vintage ROLEX...

Orchi would listen n learn from him...anytime.
You should consider to do that too...
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:48 AM   #40
BMAN8
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing pics. of your DRSD. Beautiful!

nt
BMAN8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 10:50 AM   #41
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post

X2 *Big Respect* Goes out to the very generous who share there knowledge,time and pictures on these forums for all of us. Most of us would not know as much as we know today had it not been for these forums and the unselfishness of others to show and tell

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 11:37 AM   #42
Dean F
"TRF" Member

Wow, very awesome, thank you for sharing!
Dean F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 06:02 PM   #43
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
sooooooo.. based on your vast knowledge base, years of experience and having handled thousands of watches the implication of your statement, and your moving it to VRF and posting the pictures there is :

1. that neither i, or eric ku, one of the worlds most prominent dealers dont know what we are talking about

or

2. the watch case has been polished and the caseback letters painted a black colour - which in your opinion they never were, because 'only new ones have black on'....and through the out of focus shot you can see the wear marks on the case lugs that i've failed to hide in my attempt to prove you wrong and besmirch your perfect example watch ...................................... lord give me strength.

and fyi...that isnt the first one you've seen , in the very original thread where we started talking about this i gave you a link to the James dowling example found in 2006 in a safe.. the reason drsd doesnt have NOS examples shown for each different mark is because they are rare as Hens teeth, what is shown is very good very nice examples.. and as the author od drsd is now a member here perheaps you could ask him what NOS looks like as it appears he's the only person you may listen to.[/IMG]
+1000.

It's amazing to me that anyone in any walk of life would present their opinion relying solely upon what they glean from the internet combined with owning a miniscule sample size of a not 100% period correct Rolex (obviously, I'm not referring to Jed, who I would happily bet has owned and forgotten more knowledge about Rolex timepieces than a certain "high post count/low real world exposure to Rolexes" member of this forum here will ever hope to possess). Don't get me wrong - the DRSD website is a treasure trove of info. But it was constructed many years after most of the examples pictured on the site rolled out of the Rolex manufacturing facilities. If you weren't around and paying attention when these were shiny and in the windows/showcases of the ADs, you should spend more time listening and far less time talking (again, I am NOT referring to Jed).

Jed, thanks again for the great detail in your posts and your pics, as well as for having the capabilities and audacity to acquire truly museum spec pieces.......
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 07:44 PM   #44
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

I think Dadswatch would have been better off inheriting some intellect and common sense rather than a watch.
oinkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 08:27 PM   #45
Changmaisausage
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Jed sweet watch the best I've seen.

Dad listen and learn you still have a very nice watch and was very lucky to have one of this calibre passed down, enjoy it and learn from others about the watch.

My car is bigger than yours........
Old 29 March 2010, 09:12 PM   #46
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Jed,

Good to see you made it back safely.

Excellent thread, thanks.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 08:45 AM   #47
jedly1
"TRF" Member

cheers guys, appreciate the supprt.

there are two important thing to remember in vintage IMHO ,

1. that no matter how good an example you have, someone, somewhere will always have one better :)

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-f...ti-413961/s-0/

2. However much you know today, you will almost certainly know more tommorrow.
Old 30 March 2010, 09:11 AM   #48
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Quote:

1. that no matter how good an example you have, someone, somewhere will always have one better :)

Amen. Absolutely unbelievable watch, Jed! Big, big congrats!!!!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 01:50 PM   #49
Some Pair

Watch: The Rollie's.....
I concur. Stunning ROLEX timepiece.

Thank you for sharing that fantastic time capsuled jewel.
Some Pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 06:06 PM   #50
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good watch even better knowing the story behind it
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 03:47 AM   #51
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Hey Jed......I called Rolex USA and asked them about the "bevel". They stated "The bevel on my watch is original to the 1665 when it was produced." I also received a few emails from VRF memebers that feel the same as I do and have doubts about that DRSD you posted and feel there is something not right about the case. I also think that the patina on the dial is very strange since it never saw the light of day being a "NOS DRSD". Even if the watch is authentic, your responses to questions don't sound like they come from a respected expert of watches but from someone that is desperately trying to convince someone that you are "such an expert" that your evaluations or claims shouldn't even be questioned or reviewed. That is just absurd. Another absurd claim is that Rolex USA doesn't have the knowledge or the ability to put a correct edge on a 1665 MK III. Maybe some look at you as if your the final say in Rolex history and knowledge but I don't take anyone persons word as "gospel" so easily. All of those DRSD's out there and they ALL have an incorrect/worn/polished off edge????? And you have the only example of a correct DRSD case/edge???? I don't think so buddy.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 03:56 AM   #52
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Hey Jed......I called Rolex USA and asked them about the "bevel". They stated "The bevel on my watch is original to the 1665 when it was produced." I also received a few emails from VRF memebers that feel the same as I do and have doubts about that DRSD you posted and feel there is something not right about the case. I also think that the patina on the dial is very strange since it never saw the light of day being a "NOS DRSD". Even if the watch is authentic, your responses to questions don't sound like they come from a respected expert of watches but from someone that is desperately trying to convince someone that you are "such an expert" that your evaluations or claims shouldn't even be questioned or reviewed. That is just absurd. Another absurd claim is that Rolex USA doesn't have the knowledge or the ability to put a correct edge on a 1665 MK III. Maybe some look at you as if your the final say in Rolex history and knowledge but I don't take anyone persons word as "gospel" so easily. All of those DRSD's out there and they ALL have an incorrect/worn/polished off edge????? And you have the only example of a correct DRSD case/edge???? I don't think so buddy.
Personally... I think you should search up dadswatch on VRF and click on that first link and read the whole thread.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 04:08 AM   #53
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 4 April 2010, 04:14 AM   #54
therolexguy

Seems like it's time to close this thing as it's going nowhere. Not my call at all just seems "unproductive" to me.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 04:17 AM   #55
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 04:18 AM   #56
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
Seems like it's time to close this thing as it's going nowhere. Not my call at all just seems "unproductive" to me.
+1, Jed has been kind enough to show us this treasure and someone seems to still be in disbelief.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 04:19 AM   #57
DadsWatch72
Banned

And why would those lugs have any wear at all???? OHHH yeah, someone tried to take off the bracelet and caused that damage.......rightttt. And why doesn't it have the original minty mint 9315 bracelet with absolutely no wear on it because it is a "NOS" DRSD???? And why does it have a mello yellow dial on it (patina) if it never saw the light of day since it's a NOS DRSD???? All good questions. And kyle....some feel that it is a genuine DRSD on the VRF and some don't judging from the fact that I received emails from those who feel differently than those posted in the forum. Maybe they are afraid to post any questions and get inappropriate and/or arrogant responses from those who claim (constantly reminding us) of their expertise. If I have to.......I will mail/email Geneva the pictures of the watch and try and get an official ruling on this issue. I have already talked with New York about the case edge and they comfirmed that the edge is original on my DRSD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%20029.jpg (70.6 KB, 244 views)
Old 4 April 2010, 04:30 AM   #58
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And why would those lugs have any wear at all???? OHHH yeah, someone tried to take off the bracelet and caused that damage.......rightttt. And why doesn't it have the original minty mint 9315 bracelet with absolutely no wear on it because it is a "NOS" DRSD???? And why does it have a mello yellow dial on it (patina) if it never saw the light of day since it's a NOS DRSD???? All good questions. And kyle....some feel that it is a genuine DRSD on the VRF and some don't judging from the fact that I received emails from those who feel differently than those posted in the forum. Maybe they are afraid to post any questions and get inappropriate and/or arrogant responses from those who claim (constantly reminding us) of their expertise.
Your lack of knowledge becomes more and more apparent with every word you type in this thread. Do you know how patina develops in tritium? And you definitively know that patina NEVER develops without the addition of sunlight?

It is common knowledge that as tritium degrades, it reacts differently due to a variety of factors - - humidity, moisture, light and darkness. There is extensive anecdotal evidence from collectors worldwide of patina developing on watches that had been stashed away in safes for years without seeing the light of day.
Old 4 April 2010, 04:32 AM   #59
therolexguy

Mods......? Really?
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 04:42 AM   #60
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
Your lack of knowledge becomes more and more apparent with every word you type in this thread. Do you know how patina develops in tritium? And you definitively know that patina NEVER develops without the addition of sunlight?

It is common knowledge that as tritium degrades, it reacts differently due to a variety of factors - - humidity, moisture, light and darkness. There is extensive anecdotal evidence from collectors worldwide of patina developing on watches that had been stashed away in safes for years without seeing the light of day.
It color is due to the phosphor degradation, not the tritium degradation .

http://www.timezone.com/library/arch...04126660375902