The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 April 2013, 02:15 PM   #31
kirikenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Buy an original correct dial for your watch and swap it with your aftermarket dial with a local independent watchmaker. Then service the watch with a Rolex certified watchmaker such a Rikki. Once serviced visit your independent and swap your aftermarket dial back in the watch. I am sure you will void any warranty provided but at least you will receive a quality service with Rolex parts.
True. A dial swap is a pretty basic job if you're careful and confident in your dexterity. I'm not too familiar with Rolex movements but to cut out the extraneous watchmaker, the basic procedure is
  1. Remove the case back (if you're sending it to a certified watchmaker they'll replace the gasket later).
  2. Remove the crown (not familiar with Rolex specifically but this usually involves pulling the crown out to the last position, loosening a screw or pushing a small "button" and sliding the stem out).
  3. Gently turn the watch over to remove the movement.
  4. Remove the watch hands with a hands puller (~$5USD tool you can snag on ebay), a lot of people place a small piece of plastic wrap between the puller and the hands so as not to nick up the hands or the dial.
  5. The dial can usually be removed by loosening 2-3 screws on the sides of the movement which apply pressure to "pegs" on the back of the dial to hold it in place.
  6. Replace the dial with an original and follow the steps in reverse to put it all back together. Setting the hands back on is somewhat tricky, best hack the movement at 12:00:00 before removing the crown so you can easily line it back up, but if it'll be serviced professionally immediately after, I suppose this isn't important.

You would need
  • That watch hands puller.
  • Watch screwdrivers (a low-quality hobbyist set is dirt cheap, a good set is pretty expensive, and there's no real selection in between).
  • Possibly, a case opener (it could be loose enough to open by hand or you might need an opener). Again, Chinese junk openers are ~$20USD and a nice Burgeon is going to cost a few hundred USD.

On second thought, unless you're a watch hobbyist you'll probably be better off visiting that independent watchmaker. It'll end up being around the same price to you and save you the time and risk of damage.

Also, as a disclaimer: I'm not responsible if anyone tries to follow those steps and puts gash in their dial I'm just an amateur trying to be helpful, not a professional.
kirikenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2013, 08:05 PM   #32
pollus23

Watch: Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
If you're Rolex authorized you have to follow their rules.
I'm absolutely agree with MonBK
pollus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2013, 09:22 PM   #33
pollus23

Watch: Casio
Icon14

I think Rikki will repair your watch nicely without changing the dial.
pollus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 03:46 AM   #34
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Ok here's the rules one more time as a Rolex parts account holder I am not allowed to work on altered from original Rolex watches unless I bring them back into original condition. I also cannot sell parts other than to install them during a service. I don't make the rules but Rolex allows me to make a decent living who am I to argue with that. Would you want someone to put aftermarket engine parts on your expensive Mercedes Ferrari or other high end vehicle it's your right to do so but is it the right thing to do to maintain the value of your vehicle. I know I know it sucks ,but such is life sometimes. Rikki
This should be of great value to everyone! Knowing that the watchmaker you send you watch to is only using original parts is a sure way to keep it in top shape. That should make us all feel very comfortable sending our watches to Rikki as you can rest assure that it will be taken care of the right way. What more could you ask for?
sub-eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 06:55 AM   #35
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Ok here's the rules one more time as a Rolex parts account holder I am not allowed to work on altered from original Rolex watches unless I bring them back into original condition. I also cannot sell parts other than to install them during a service.
I, for one, am glad that Rolex has high standards and sticks to them.

Anyone who doesn't like that can find a watchmaker who will do as the owner chooses.

That's no big deal.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 06:59 AM   #36
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollus23 View Post
I think Rikki will repair your watch nicely without changing the dial.
This is what Rikki had to say on the matter.

Quote:
Ok here's the rules one more time as a Rolex parts account holder I am not allowed to work on altered from original Rolex watches unless I bring them back into original condition. I also cannot sell parts other than to install them during a service.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 07:10 AM   #37
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
This is what Rikki had to say on the matter.
Whick is pretty clear to us that READ the thread instead of just going to the last post.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote