The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2024, 03:45 PM   #31
Porsche91101
"TRF" Member

Does Rolliwork sharpen over polished crown logo on bracelet clasp?
Porsche91101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:12 AM   #32
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I did nave my TT oval link bracelet refurbished by Rolliworks. Lost about an inch in length. I kept most of the gold links which could have been replaced at like $20 each but decided to only replace those that were really worn. Quite a few still have notches in them as you can see in the second pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_17_Combo_s.jpg (178.3 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6553_s (1).jpg (195.1 KB, 442 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:20 AM   #33
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Looks good. I really like the rootbeer. I can't seem to find one that I like. I'm probably too picky.
Old 16 May 2024, 08:30 AM   #34
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Rolliworks doesn't have a Rolex parts account
I think they do
Old 16 May 2024, 10:23 AM   #35
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
If you actually search the history of comments on this blog, Rolliworks has jad its share of problems. Ask me how I know.

I paid about $1600 bucks for 18238 bracelet job, but it came back looking like it did before I sent it. My bracelet looks like the before and after photos in this thread, EXECPT "after looks the same as before". This was about 3 years ago.

Quite a few complaints in the forum.

Girlfriend sent her bracelet in including the end links, but came back without them.

Pulling teeth to get satisfaction.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 12:11 PM   #36
TimeKeepsOnTicking
"TRF" Member

Sent my DJI Oyster bracelet to Rolliworks for polishing about two months ago and it came back a few weeks later looking good as new - very pleased!
Old 25 May 2024, 06:32 PM   #37
joeinc119
"TRF" Member

Just had some work done by rolliworks on my 1970's non-quick datejust

I came to this forum a few months ago specifically looking for reviews of Michael Young and Rolliworks and thought that I would share my experience.

After reading the reviews I originally decided on sending the watch to Michael Young in China to save some money but the watch was returned to me after being in USPS limbo for 2 weeks due to issues with the customs declaration. To make a long story short I would have had to re-ship and declare a lower value to get it through. I wasn't willing to do that because of potential issues with any insurance claim if the watch gets lost. The watch has major sentimental value to me as it was my fathers watch, given to me as a graduation gift almost 40 years ago. I'm sure he would have done a great job but I have no personal experience.

I then contacted Rolliworks and ,after a few emails, shipped the watch to them.
They contacted me after inspecting the watch and gave me an estimate. The bracelet was badly stretched and the entire watch was improperly polished. I also wanted them swap the crystal, dial and bezel to return it to "retail" condition.

They noted that the winding crown, hands and clasp front were badly worn and offered to replace them with original for a fair price so I agreed.

I received the watch back from them yesterday and I can honestly say that they did an awesome job. The watch looks and feels as new as a 50 year watch can. If anyone wants to see before/after pics, msg me.
joeinc119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 11:08 AM   #38
threechecks
"TRF" Member

Adding a quick take after sending in a 76 DJ for a full tour (service, jubilee bracelet stretch, the works).

Yes, the comms from Mike and crew can be frustrating.
Yes, they are busy.
And yes, sometimes there's an issue.

If you're expecting (or require) a modern customer service experience with proactive updates and detailed explanations, Rolliworks might not be the right fit for you. Heck, I'm still not sure if it's right for me

But in the end, Mike and team did excellent work, and when there was an issue, they took complete responsibility and made it right. The bracelet fits like-new, and so far as I can tell, they helped me avoid some potentially significant issues with the movement.

Would I choose skill, craft, and integrity over better communication? Every day of the week. Do I wish you could get both? Of course. But like old cars, reliable mechanics are hard to find and most have their quirks ... it's the quality of the work that matters in the end. We love these watches (sometimes irrationally) and as long as you have patience, Mike and team know their shit like few else.
threechecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 02:28 PM   #39
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Couple of years ago I purchased a 16013 on a leather strap and decided that I wanted to source an original jubilee for it. Rolliworks found one and I could not be happier. Bracelet arrived looking brand new.
Newbie2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 06:35 PM   #40
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinc119 View Post
I came to this forum a few months ago specifically looking for reviews of Michael Young and Rolliworks and thought that I would share my experience.

After reading the reviews I originally decided on sending the watch to Michael Young in China to save some money but the watch was returned to me after being in USPS limbo for 2 weeks due to issues with the customs declaration. To make a long story short I would have had to re-ship and declare a lower value to get it through. I wasn't willing to do that because of potential issues with any insurance claim if the watch gets lost. The watch has major sentimental value to me as it was my fathers watch, given to me as a graduation gift almost 40 years ago. I'm sure he would have done a great job but I have no personal experience.

I then contacted Rolliworks and ,after a few emails, shipped the watch to them.
They contacted me after inspecting the watch and gave me an estimate. The bracelet was badly stretched and the entire watch was improperly polished. I also wanted them swap the crystal, dial and bezel to return it to "retail" condition.

They noted that the winding crown, hands and clasp front were badly worn and offered to replace them with original for a fair price so I agreed.

I received the watch back from them yesterday and I can honestly say that they did an awesome job. The watch looks and feels as new as a 50 year watch can. If anyone wants to see before/after pics, msg me.
No reason to send a watch with sentimental value overseas. I have heard MY outsources work to Vietnam, which could explain the long turnaround time.

My one experience with Rolliworks was a good one.
Old 12 June 2024, 07:20 PM   #41
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
I think they do
They don’t. A crystal that costs $130 from an RSC is over $400 from Rolliworks. For serving I’d definitely use an RSC.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 07:34 PM   #42
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
They don’t. A crystal that costs $130 from an RSC is over $400 from Rolliworks. For serving I’d definitely use an RSC.
We disagree, they do have a parts account, and when they quoted me a price for a crystal it was way less that $400. Nobody is perfect, but I’ve read of many more problems with RSC than I ever have with Rollieworks.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:11 PM   #43
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
We disagree, they do have a parts account, and when they quoted me a price for a crystal it was way less that $400. Nobody is perfect, but I’ve read of many more problems with RSC than I ever have with Rollieworks.
They do not have a Rolex parts account. They might have a cache of spare parts like most independents do but they do not have a parts account from Rolex.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 10:15 PM   #44
Dendi
"TRF" Member

I have used Rolliworks one time. As much as I would have liked to leave great feedback for the work I had done, I cannot. I recently posted about the work I had done. You can see the before and after pics if you see my recent post. You can judge for yourself. Most who saw the work, felt it was poor. Again, I wish I could have recommended them and I was hoping they could have been my go to place for any repairs, etc., but sadly that's not the case anymore.
Dendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 12:45 AM   #45
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendi View Post
I have used Rolliworks one time. As much as I would have liked to leave great feedback for the work I had done, I cannot. I recently posted about the work I had done. You can see the before and after pics if you see my recent post. You can judge for yourself. Most who saw the work, felt it was poor. Again, I wish I could have recommended them and I was hoping they could have been my go to place for any repairs, etc., but sadly that's not the case anymore.
Similar experience with my father's DateJust, both servicing the movement, replacing the Plexi crystal, and repairing the bracelet. Just not overly high quality work.

I'm starting to wonder if they are so popular, they have a time crunch and are just moving watches through as quick as they can.

Have you received a resolution on your submariner yet?

Sent from my CPH2583 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 01:03 AM   #46
Dendi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
Similar experience with my father's DateJust, both servicing the movement, replacing the Plexi crystal, and repairing the bracelet. Just not overly high quality work.

I'm starting to wonder if they are so popular, they have a time crunch and are just moving watches through as quick as they can.

Have you received a resolution on your submariner yet?

Sent from my CPH2583 using Tapatalk
It's possible that they have a ton of work and some jobs are rushed. I don't know. I did email Rolliworks about the issue I had with the work. I was told it could fixed but that it would require 3 hours of additional laser welding at cost per hour(I think like $150/hr). The other option , offered was to return it to the way it looked prior to having work done. So one option , I will have to pay more to have it the way I requested when I originally sent my watch to them and the other is to return the watch to it's previous state. I didn't think either option was fair.
Dendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 01:15 AM   #47
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Why is that? I’ve had Rolex watches serviced through RSC USA and Dubai over the last 15 years with absolutely no problems. In fact, I’ve had nothing but positive experiences both with vintage and modern. I’d only trust RSC in some cases.
I agree with this. Kinda funny how people just sheepishly follow along with notions about RSC being bad. I have no problem with independent watchmakers, but people really are silly sometimes
Old 13 June 2024, 01:20 AM   #48
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I agree with this. Kinda funny how people just sheepishly follow along with notions about RSC being bad. I have no problem with independent watchmakers, but people really are silly sometimes

Totally agree. The sheepish behavior spans so many aspects of this 'hobby.' I consider myself to be heavily interested in quite a few hobbies, but have found the echo chamber in watch collecting is the loudest, by far.
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 01:56 AM   #49
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendi View Post
I don’t doubt your experience, I’m just saying I’ve heard of many more issues with RSC work, including badly scratched watches. Rolliworks has a better batting average for less money.
Old 13 June 2024, 01:57 AM   #50
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
They do not have a Rolex parts account. They might have a cache of spare parts like most independents do but they do not have a parts account from Rolex.
I’m not sure that is the case, when I asked about a new 14060 crystal they said the ones they’re now getting in from Rolex are AR coated.
Old 13 June 2024, 02:58 PM   #51
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
I’m not sure that is the case, when I asked about a new 14060 crystal they said the ones they’re now getting in from Rolex are AR coated.
I've had several positive interactions with them when they were in the bay area and a lot less busy and available to chat at their place of business. Which was incredibly professional I might add. When I asked about the Rolex Parts Account issue what I was told (at that time/5 years ago) was that they did not have a parts account but had numerous sources for genuine Rolex parts. So this is where things get tricky since some Rolex parts are entirely made in house and some are outsourced. So you might find yourself paying the usual for some parts but a lot more for other parts. And yet you might find yourself paying a lot less for machining a custom part that might no longer be in stock at Rolex.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 05:27 PM   #52
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I've had several positive interactions with them when they were in the bay area and a lot less busy and available to chat at their place of business. Which was incredibly professional I might add. When I asked about the Rolex Parts Account issue what I was told (at that time/5 years ago) was that they did not have a parts account but had numerous sources for genuine Rolex parts. So this is where things get tricky since some Rolex parts are entirely made in house and some are outsourced. So you might find yourself paying the usual for some parts but a lot more for other parts. And yet you might find yourself paying a lot less for machining a custom part that might no longer be in stock at Rolex.
Yes, I also was as their Bay Area location, I’m sure they are much busier in Miami, I recently moved to South Florida and was blown away by the number of Rolexes you see here

You certainly pay less for a standard service with Rolliworks