The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2010, 06:59 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Peter is absolutely right . I have a 400 usd Suunto dive computer that gives me much more info . Then again I rather walk around with my SDDS in the street then that bulky plastic computer .
Would agree most divers today use a computer and a watch just as a back up.But although any Rolex is a very fine watch most real divers today require more information than a simple time laspe bezel.Any sort of just a time watch mechanical or quartz is used mainly as a back up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 8 May 2010, 07:13 PM   #32
escudoturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Someone on the forum bough a SD, had it PVD coated, added a yachtmaster hand and put it on nylon - now thatt was a lot of diver watch for the money, you can even sell the bracelet to recoup some cash
Old 8 May 2010, 07:16 PM   #33
escudoturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...light=ultimate
Old 8 May 2010, 09:03 PM   #34
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 457689 View Post
Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001.
Same here...I used to own one...Fantastic watch, should have kept it but it it was replaced with a Gmt IIc...but it is quite the value!

What about a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...love that watch but I think its around $7k...
Old 8 May 2010, 09:04 PM   #35
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 457689 View Post
Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001.
Same here...I used to own one...Fantastic watch, should have kept it but it it was replaced with a Gmt IIc...but it is quite the value!

What about a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...love that watch but I think its around $7k...
Old 8 May 2010, 10:12 PM   #36
jmsrolls
Banned

Hmmm. . .

IMO, the Omega 2254.50 exceeds the the Sub in every category; i.e., movement, dial legibility, lume, fit, finish, bracelet:

The demand for this classic has pushed the re-sale prices up. Several years ago, I paid <$1500 for this one BNIB from an AD. Today, pre-owned prices exceed my purchase price.

The same goes for the "electric blue" Omega 2255.80:

I bought both BNIB for less than the price of one Sub.

Fr. John†
Old 8 May 2010, 10:15 PM   #37
acce1999
"TRF" Member

I agree with Nikos. If I where a professional diver, and my requirement was an automatic diver's watch I'd go with a Sinn. They are today what Rolex once was. Just check their use of technology out.

Best,

A
Old 8 May 2010, 10:26 PM   #38
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I have owned several of the smaller boutique brands, and although they are a good value for the money........I believe that only Omega competes with Rolex for one reason......

Their ability to service and bring your watch back to life for many years. I am afraid that some of the smaller boutique brands might not be around when I need them in the future. Also, with seiko........what does a person do when the watch needs a service or a pressure test? Are you really going to send a $300 watch off for a service? Many would say, "just get a new one".......but I don't want a new one. Once I fall in love with a watch, I want to wear it forever.

Sorry, but life is too short to wear inexpensive watches.

BTW, Thanks for the props above Baz

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 8 May 2010, 11:05 PM   #39
DWdrummer
Banned

I would say an Omega SMP, or Planet Ocean is every bit as good.
Also don't overlook Seiko here. Their Marine Master 300 is an extremely well built and high quality watch. In an abstract and strictly logical sense, it is likely ever bit the Rolex Submariners equal.

Breitling Super Oceans are beautiful pieces too. There a lot of great watches out there.
Old 8 May 2010, 11:09 PM   #40
poppydog
Banned

Watch: Rolex Seadweller
Not a question that be answered definitively: "better" is subjective and open to interpretation.

I'm only interested in divers, and have Rolexes, Omegas and Breitlings. I dive with all of them and as a dive instrument, none stands out more than the others. If I could have only one, however, it would be between the Sub and the SD. Why? I think they're better. Why do I? I can't quantify that; I just do.
Old 8 May 2010, 11:17 PM   #41
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If I could have only one, however, it would be between the Sub and the SD. Why? I think they're better. Why do I? I can't quantify that; I just do.
The answer is: successful marketing.

Fr. John†
Old 8 May 2010, 11:22 PM   #42
everose

I think right now,the choice of well made $3000(and under) Divers is the best it has EVER been.

UTS
Omega
Sinn
Seiko
Doxa
Bremont.......etc.....to name just a few.....

Well made with quality materials and movements.

However IMHO, the Sub is THE Diver all other Watch Cos probably wished they had in their line up.It has been imitated by,and/or inspired almost ALL other dive watches on the market today.........not bad for a 56/57 year old!!!!!

Do these other watches have that kind of benchmark status.....no....(atleast not yet.)

I think the essence of your thread boils down to the "cachet" the Sub has over all the other Divers........and at this point most of the competition collapses.

Do those that own other great $3000 divers care about heritage and cachet???.......probably not so much.

Do we as Sub owners care about it????......mostly, we certainly do;.....and it is not simply ethereal hot air.....It is one of the things which enables the Sub to retain its value far,far better than its peers.For me that is also a BIG DEAL!!!!!

So....in summary, i see both sides of this debate.

Just my

Great Thread by the OP!!!

Old 8 May 2010, 11:33 PM   #43
lordcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 SD_Z serial
another vouch for the Seiko MarineMaster here. While I only had one for about a year, it was very easy to see that its build quality far surpassed a sub. and it was doing the glidelock clasp thing way before Rolex ;)
Old 8 May 2010, 11:36 PM   #44
hooliganhooker

Watch: Rolex MilGauss
I love my Sea Dweller. With that said, my Planet Ocean was <$3000 and is one heck of a fine watch. As a diver goes, it sure seems like there is more lume on the face of my PO than my Dweller. In lower light diving situations, I'd give the nod to the PO.
Old 8 May 2010, 11:47 PM   #45
Strut99GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
Well done everyone - let me tighten my original post question up.
Re Seikos, Invictas, Rados, Sinns, Omegas, etc.

Do you TRULY look at any of these 25 times a day without needing to know the time?
Do any of those give you that "feeling" that your Rolex does?
Do you spend many hours a week on the Seiko, Invicta, Sinn, etc forum?

Here is my biggest differentiator - have you ever sold a Rolex so you could buy one of those???
keep em coming
Yes - the Omega Seamaster professional with the "electric blue" color is the most beautiful dial I've seen on any watch. Just my opinion! Great pictures of it here:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se...r/bluesmp.html
Old 9 May 2010, 12:55 AM   #46
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
There are many divers watches out on the market for less than $3000 that will give far more diving information than a simple time laspe bezel.Like one of my favourites Citizen Aqualand 11,but I would doubt today if 90% of all diver type watches, ever see water other than a quick dip in pool or shower.
Have to agree here, with the exception that I'd think it was more like 98%. But for looks, elegance, simplicity of form and function, and the sheer coolness of it, the ND Sub has no peer.
Old 9 May 2010, 01:04 AM   #47
newmedia
"TRF" Member

as per servicing issues, I own few KOBOLD watches, they are good value in used market and KOBOLD offers one of the best turnaround time when it comes to servicing issues.
Old 9 May 2010, 01:47 AM   #48
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The answer is: successful marketing.

Fr. John†
Spot on!

Says the man who works in advertising, sold his 2254.50 Omega a few years back and just recently bought his first Rolex

Cheers,
Joe
Old 9 May 2010, 02:51 AM   #49
Denizen
"TRF" Member

to answer your questions:

Do you TRULY look at any of these 25 times a day without needing to know the time? Yes, though I don't think I've ever looked at any watch 25X a day.

Do any of those give you that "feeling" that your Rolex does? Sure, plenty.

Do you spend many hours a week on the Seiko, Invicta, Sinn, etc forum? Yes, I happen to spend much more time reading and participating in the non-Rolex forums

Have you ever sold a Rolex so you could buy one of those??? I've never had to sell a watch to buy a Rolex, but I certainly have watches that I would elect to keep over my Rolexes if I needed to sell or liquidate. I like my Rolexes but there are some other pieces that get more love.

any other questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
Well done everyone - let me tighten my original post question up.
Re Seikos, Invictas, Rados, Sinns, Omegas, etc.

Do you TRULY look at any of these 25 times a day without needing to know the time?
Do any of those give you that "feeling" that your Rolex does?
Do you spend many hours a week on the Seiko, Invicta, Sinn, etc forum?

Here is my biggest differentiator - have you ever sold a Rolex so you could buy one of those???
keep em coming
Old 9 May 2010, 02:58 AM   #50
Denizen
"TRF" Member

seems like you're penalizing the less expensive watch rather unjustly.

first off, if i really loved a certain watch, i would pay to get it serviced regardless of the cost.

sounds to me that you like your more expensive watches than the less expensive ones. no crime in that, but not everyone feels the same way you do.

i'd rather amend your quote to "Life is too short to wear watches that you're not passionate about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
Are you really going to send a $300 watch off for a service? Many would say, "just get a new one".......but I don't want a new one. Once I fall in love with a watch, I want to wear it forever.

Sorry, but life is too short to wear inexpensive watches.

BTW, Thanks for the props above Baz
Old 9 May 2010, 03:01 AM   #51
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut99GT View Post
Yes - the Omega Seamaster professional with the "electric blue" color is the most beautiful dial I've seen on any watch.
+1!

Fr. John†
Old 9 May 2010, 03:03 AM   #52
Denizen
"TRF" Member

the Sinn U-series divers are very nice divers and i wouldn't have any problem wearing one if i were a profesional diver, but there are some differences in the level of finishing,etc that separates them with the Rolex divers. it really depends on what features, etc are most important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
I agree with Nikos. If I where a professional diver, and my requirement was an automatic diver's watch I'd go with a Sinn. They are today what Rolex once was. Just check their use of technology out.

Best,

A
Old 9 May 2010, 03:18 AM   #53
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Doxa Sub is honestly probably a better dive watch
Old 9 May 2010, 03:18 AM   #54
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post

Do you TRULY look at any of these 25 times a day without needing to know the time? Yes, though I don't think I've ever looked at any watch 25X a day.

Do you spend many hours a week on the Seiko, Invicta, Sinn, etc forum? Yes, I happen to spend much more time reading and participating in the non-Rolex forums

Have you ever sold a Rolex so you could buy one of those??? I've never had to sell a watch to buy a Rolex, but I certainly have watches that I would elect to keep over my Rolexes if I needed to sell or liquidate. I like my Rolexes but there are some other pieces that get more love.

any other questions?
Old 9 May 2010, 03:21 AM   #55
acce1999
"TRF" Member

I've already said Sinn, but this one is cool too, and it is mine ;-)

Do not know if it is "better", but it is below $3000, and the plastic crystal will scratch, not shatter, and it is "only" good for 200 meters or so...

There are modern Tudors as well.

Best,

A
Old 9 May 2010, 05:13 AM   #56
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
One thing all the Seiko and 'other' people overlook when making comparisons and probably THE most important factor in any diving watch..... and it's not lume, it's not COSC time keeping specs, it's not depth rating, weight, styling or comfort.

It's one of the hallmarks that Rolex attained it's reputation from, can anyone guess?

Ok I'll answer it myself.......... EXTREME DURABILITY.
Explorer I 114270
Old 9 May 2010, 05:34 AM   #57
amartolos

Watch: Omega PO 2200.50
PO XL all the way..

Old 9 May 2010, 06:09 AM   #58
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
Ok I'll answer it myself.......... EXTREME DURABILITY.
hmmm...you might need to get out more.

i've come across plenty of testimony from Seiko owners about some of their watches which have lasted for decades without being serviced and which still keep good time.

Rolex does a lot of things well but i wouldn't say they're the only brand who can claim extreme durability with their movements.
Old 9 May 2010, 06:48 AM   #59
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post

any other questions?
no need to be a smart a--
Old 9 May 2010, 06:54 AM   #60
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
This quintessential dive watch was brought to market in a time there were little alternatives. Blancpain, with their Fifty Fathoms, beat Rolex to the market and Eterna followed suit.

But times have changed. When I was a 9 year old boy, it was very, very unusual for a watch to be anywhere water resistant! An aunt of mine (who's more of an older sister to me) bought a 'dive' watch in 1969. It resembled the now common Sub layout and I remember it had a little shark on the dial. One shower and there was condensed water on the inside of the crystal

Most watch producers have managed the trick of making a watch water resistant by now and there are even dress watches that will go deeper than that first Sub.

There are many, many watches below $3000 that are much better at doing the job I'm afraid. The Citizen Aqualand Prodiver 1000 Titanium for example.

But I don't think that was what you meant with your question. I'm a big fan of the non-date (COSC) Sub (on a NATO strap) and the emotional value of that watch, combined with the history (al be it short) of the brand far outweighs the offerings of Citizen et all.