The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2020, 09:54 PM   #31
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

When I communicate with my AD, I always enjoy talking watches. What’s going to happen to the Hulk? Will there be a caliber upgrade on the Subs? I love the WIS talk, and I think it comes across that I’m not a flipper. I’m not there to kiss a$$, and I try to understand the perspective of the dealer. Acquisition is not the goal, but is part of the process. I have learned so much speaking with Rolex experts (and following TRF), and I will often seek out the watchmaker about minutiae. It will all make the arrival of the next special piece that much more appreciated.

YMMV
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 09:56 PM   #32
barters
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Building a relationship is simply done over many years .A two way street .

What we have now ,is quickie "relationship builders" because they want to get hard to gets in a hot market .
These questions are all the same and frankly,quite boring .

Sir we have exchanged dialogue before. You explained that you have built your relationship via a local independent AD in Cape Town.
In Genève the whole thing is run by Bucherer. It’s rather corporate so building a relationship is a bit different.
I’ve been posting on this site & watchuseek for over 10 years. I even bought from Davidsw when he was just a flipper with gmail account.
You might find this boring but I can tell you more than 10 years ago this market was not like this. I’m still trying to figure out, in surprise, what has become of the Rolex market since I’ve been away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 09:58 PM   #33
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

No. Maybe with a hulk or blue SkyD though
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:25 PM   #34
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters View Post
Sir we have exchanged dialogue before. You explained that you have built your relationship via a local independent AD in Cape Town.
In Genève the whole thing is run by Bucherer. It’s rather corporate so building a relationship is a bit different.
I’ve been posting on this site & watchuseek for over 10 years. I even bought from Davidsw when he was just a flipper with gmail account.
You might find this boring but I can tell you more than 10 years ago this market was not like this. I’m still trying to figure out, in surprise, what has become of the Rolex market since I’ve been away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10 years ago you weren't picking up a Daytona from an AD without a substantial wait (or from a reseller for a large profit).

So what has happened is basically more of the same.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #35
barters
"TRF" Member

Not true. I asked for a SS Daytona in a Geneva AD once & I was offered one. That was a bit exceptional.
I agree that SS Daytona has always been hard to get for more than 10 years. However, all the other SS models you could ask for without being looked at funny by a sales assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2020, 11:53 PM   #36
watchmaker
TechXpert

As I said, it's more of the same now. And honestly, so what?! A Rolex is a luxury product and nobody needs to have one.

If, as a company they needed/wanted to produce and sell more they would. But they don't. That's it.

It would be more worthy of debate if they were restricting access to clean drinking water, or life saving drugs. But they are shiny objects, nothing more.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:55 PM   #37
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

No ,not really ,I have bought from many ADs .All over .

Been collecting for 20 years.So I know all the phases of the market .

What's the surprise ,there are now higher demand than ever in history, for Rolex and especially for certain models .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:29 AM   #38
russ86
"TRF" Member

Ok let me tell you from my experience, unless you are prepared to spend 60-80k in purchasing watches to start The relationship (including purchasing models that you don't really want), they will not be offering you SS Daytonas or GMT’s.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:23 AM   #39
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I am always amazed by these threads.

To all those that respond by saying that it’s all internet/forum hype and that in reality, AD’s will sell you a Daytona if you walk in and ask for one - please go into an AD tomorrow and get me a 116500, I’ll buy it off you for £2k over retail - easiest money you’ll ever make if you’re right about it being internet hype.

To those that respond by slating AD’s and their so-called games - it’s not games, it’s just business. They have some products that are in high demand and some products that hang around like a bad smell. When presented with a customer that wants to buy the high demand only, and a customer that is happy to buy high demand and low demand products, which customer would you choose to sell to?

To those that bemoan the market, slating both AD’s for playing games, and Grey dealers for exploiting the market with premiums - if you are new to this market and are trying to get on the ladder, I have some sympathy with your frustrations. However, if you bought grey years ago because it was cheaper buying grey than buying from an AD, then you reap what you sow.

To the OP - offering to buy a SS GMT is not going to get you a Daytona. Jewellery or PM is likely your best bet but possibly with no guarantees.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:58 AM   #40
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Offering to buy a stainless steel piece does nothing you want a strong chance you have to buy some of the slow movers or something nice and shiny
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:00 AM   #41
barters
"TRF" Member

Interesting what has become of things.
I’m passing through Zurich tomorrow so will check what I find in stock.
In Prague they had the SS Yachtmaster & Milgauss on display.

Old 6 July 2020, 02:26 AM   #42
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Ask yourself this question:

If the SS Daytona was as common as a Speedmaster and on display in multiples in the AD showcase, would you still want one?

Alotta people go through all of this effort and concern, just to get a watch they really don't like, but that "market" loves and the AD restricts availability, so it becomes the MUST OWN...

It's one thing to already have an established purchase history and take advantage of that...ect. But if your starting out from the bottom, it's alotta work for a watch you may not really like...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:33 AM   #43
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Building a relationship is simply done over many years .A two way street .

What we have now ,is quickie "relationship builders" because they want to get hard to gets in a hot market .
These questions are all the same and frankly,quite boring .

Can't agree more. Takes time, buy things you just want, they get to know you, you them, and the relationship develops.

I'm far from a big fish but have had access to "hot" watches just because they know me and how excited I get for this stuff, and that I wear it.

It also took years to develop....at one point I was pretty much laughed at asking if I could at least see a 116710LN when they were first released.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:33 AM   #44
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Building AD purchase history

I’m lucky my AD does vintage handbags and jewelry so I can buy stuff for my wife she loves and softens them up for watches I ask for. I’ve also bought 2 PM pieces from them in the past. Here’s my rough timeline for waiting for what I’ve asked this year: Air King (3 weeks), Steel Wimbledon (4 weeks), Hulk (4 months), Black BB58 (1 day). I was waiting on a Pepsi when I came across a Root Beer on display in their store and picked it up. That covered my wanting a GMT and leaves me with a Daytona as my final ask. We’ll see how long that takes, but I’ve got plenty to hold me over.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:37 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
The thing is I hate jewellery.
Buying my wife a SS Day Date?

I think you mean DateJust. While the DayDate is only a PM watch there have been a few SS models released. Rare and very valuable. As to building a relationship with an AD to obtain a Daytona, this is difficult at best. People with AD relationships have been buying what they want over a few years or more. They have the benefit of the relationship and a nice array of watches and whatever else. Simply to buy all that stuff to obtain a Daytona seems like a big premium to pay for a watch easily purchased on line as new for a 7K to 8K premium. If you (and your wife) truly want to get into Rolex through an AD, the thing to do is go in and buy something from the case for each of you, get on their registry for birthdays and anniversary and see where the relationship goes from there.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:27 AM   #46
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Rule number one, above anything else: don't shop at ADs who also sell jewelry. Their cost to entry is going to be high.
Old 6 July 2020, 03:46 AM   #47
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
It's tough gotta buy diamonds or other stuff no one wants.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:47 AM   #48
barters
"TRF" Member

It all kind of reminds me of the movie The Money Pit. Specifically when Tom Hank’s is trying to court the carpenter & plumber.

Old 6 July 2020, 03:50 AM   #49
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
It all kind of reminds me of the movie The Money Pit. Specifically when Tom Hank’s is trying to court the carpenter & plumber.

Id rather just pay more for the watch. 10k diamond is worth like 5k or so. Even if you get diamond at close to cost you arent selling it for cost.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:58 AM   #50
barters
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think you mean DateJust. While the DayDate is only a PM watch there have been a few SS models released. Rare and very valuable. As to building a relationship with an AD to obtain a Daytona, this is difficult at best. People with AD relationships have been buying what they want over a few years or more. They have the benefit of the relationship and a nice array of watches and whatever else. Simply to buy all that stuff to obtain a Daytona seems like a big premium to pay for a watch easily purchased on line as new for a 7K to 8K premium. If you (and your wife) truly want to get into Rolex through an AD, the thing to do is go in and buy something from the case for each of you, get on their registry for birthdays and anniversary and see where the relationship goes from there.

You are correct. Datejust.

Old 6 July 2020, 04:38 AM   #51
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

I am not a flipper and I just buy alot of jewelry and not so hot watches the family likes. The ad in return offers me the hot watches and I have passed on hulk, Pepsi, ss white dial daytonas. I passed on Pepsi about 8 months ago as it was not my cup of tea but now it is. So I am waiting for it. If you pass on hot watches ad definitely know you are not a flipper. As someone stated, you are not going to become VIP buying all the hot watches. Those watches can be gone anytime of the day. Also I make it easier on ad. Do what I say and pay msrp for all items. I think key is not haggle with not so hot watches on price as it would be a turn off for me if I was ad. I would rather give to someone just pay msrp and easy to deal with.
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:46 AM   #52
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonthree View Post
I am not a flipper and I just buy alot of jewelry and not so hot watches the family likes. The ad in return offers me the hot watches and I have passed on hulk, Pepsi, ss white dial daytonas. I passed on Pepsi about 8 months ago as it was not my cup of tea but now it is. So I am waiting for it. If you pass on hot watches ad definitely know you are not a flipper. As someone stated, you are not going to become VIP buying all the hot watches. Those watches can be gone anytime of the day. Also I make it easier on ad. Do what I say and pay msrp for all items. I think key is not haggle with not so hot watches on price as it would be a turn off for me if I was ad. I would rather give to someone just pay msrp and easy to deal with.

Not so much haggle but if you’ve got history a classy “what’s MY price on that?” brings out the calculator if it’s a piece with wiggle room like a lady’s model or a PM. I also only ask when I’m ready to buy, because we all know what the price ought to be, it’s just a question of how close the AD is gonna get.

Old 6 July 2020, 04:55 AM   #53
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Building AD purchase history

Also, if you work with a consistent SA treat them to a delivered lunch after they’ve gotten you a good get. Know their birthday and remember a small holiday gift. People think of you when they know you think of them. Many will scoff at that behavior as kiss-ass, but my father routinely carried around gift cards that he’d hand out as a thank you to anyone who made his day extra special. His funeral was so packed, you’d swear he was a celebrity instead of a neighborhood lifer. Live your life so that people show up for you when you’re not there to see it. Do good and good comes back.

Old 6 July 2020, 05:00 AM   #54
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Agree you will get some discount and I will just pay msrp. Guess who ad going to call if a ss Daytona come and both of us want it? Probably me. I am used to pay MSRP ranging from Hermes, Ferrari, ap and Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
Not so much haggle but if you’ve got history a classy “what’s MY price on that?” brings out the calculator if it’s a piece with wiggle room like a lady’s model or a PM. I also only ask when I’m ready to buy, because we all know what the price ought to be, it’s just a question of how close the AD is gonna get.

Old 6 July 2020, 05:13 AM   #55
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree you will get some discount and I will just pay msrp. Guess who ad going to call if a ss Daytona come and both of us want it? Probably me. I am used to pay MSRP ranging from Hermes, Ferrari, ap and Rolex

Based off your arrogance I’m pretty sure I’d get the call since they’d like me better.

Old 6 July 2020, 05:21 AM   #56
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

It is facts. Go to Ferrari and try your I want to save a few dollars and see what happens. Then ask for a sp1 or sp2.

Quote:
Based off your arrogance I’m pretty sure I’d get the call since they’d like me better.

Old 6 July 2020, 05:24 AM   #57
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is facts. Go to Ferrari and try your I want to save a few dollars and see what happens. Then ask for a sp1 or sp2.

I’m glad you’ve been blessed with a life to live as if money were nothing. My brother is a GM at a luxury dealership. I pay invoice. Relationships matter. Have a nice day.

Old 6 July 2020, 05:24 AM   #58
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Forgot since we are talking watches go to AP boutiques and try to bargain then ask for their ss watches
Old 6 July 2020, 05:27 AM   #59
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

This is pathetic in my personal opinion. Instead of groveling and kissing ass just buy at a premium and keep your dignity.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:29 AM   #60
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Invoice on cars not sold way over msrp. Even the dealer owner at Ferrari cant decide which limited cars go to who. They have an influence but not final decision maker. Your brother wont be able to get you a car that sells for 200k + over msrp for invoice. The dealer wants something in return just like most businesses.

Quote:
I’m glad you’ve been blessed with a life to live as if money were nothing. My brother is a GM at a luxury dealership. I pay invoice. Relationships matter. Have a nice day.