The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2010, 08:54 PM   #31
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

It sounds odd to me. Yeah, they might argue that they're doing you a favour, but it insults your intelligence by implying that you can't be trusted to look after your own warranty card, plus it doesn't take into account

a) if you want to sell it
b) want to use another AD for servicing or
c) if you move away from town.

Poor customer service
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 08:56 PM   #32
everose

If you ask them for your card,and they continue to be evasive.....i would simply tell them,

"Not to worry...i will ask Rolex,USA,if they can help me!!!"

I'm sure the card will appear swiftly!!!!!

Even if they do co-operate, i really hope you inform Rolex USA anyway!!!!!

This has GOT to be a serious AD violation,IMHO.

Please let us know what happens
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 12:57 AM   #33
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will be heading to the AD this morning. After the discussion grew, I checked for my wife's card (bought her watch at the same AD)... no card. So it looks like I will be getting TWO cards today! I will keep everyone posted.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:03 AM   #34
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have had them keep the card and send it a few weeks later with an appraisal.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:28 AM   #35
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I know some AD's will try to keep it and file it in their store. If it were me--I would be on the phone and driving to get this morning!! I think we can all do a good job of babysitting our warranty cards ourselves!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:44 AM   #36
dlackman
"TRF" Member

Exact same thing happened to me with my AD in College Station, Tx.
They did mail to me after I called and asked for it. Hope you get yours returned to you today.
dlackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:51 AM   #37
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
That is so if something is wrong you cannot send it straight to a Rolex Service Center. This way they add their charge to the invoice. It is a rip off and I am sure as stated Rolex USA would not be happy with these tactics.

You paid for the card, so you should have it in your possession. =) maverick
It may be different in the USA, but when my Wife's Rolex went in through an AD to get serviced, it was the same flat fee everybody else quotes, plus the AD dealt with the shipping. I think it was the same way when I sent my Rolex in though an AD as well. I suspect the AD gets a discount on the service quote Rolex sends the customer and makes their markup there.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:56 AM   #38
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Except for collectible/resale purposes, is the warranty card that important? In the rest of the world, I assume all you need is a dated receipt for proof of purchase if warranty work is required.

I see blank warranty card mentioned a lot in ebay listings, as if you could just fill your name in and mail in the card to get warranty. Doesn't Rolex also require proof of purchase from an AD?

Robert
Old 31 January 2010, 01:57 AM   #39
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
It sounds like a marketing ploy to get you to come back only to them for your service and have no chance to take it to the other dealer in town or any other Rolex AD.
I agree, it sounds like a marketing thing. If not, then something is wrong and you should be worried. All of my purchases were from AD's and they never even suggested that they keep it. The only thing that worried me is that on all of mine they only filled in the date on the card, nothing else (different AD's each time). I took my explorer directly to rolex london a few days ago to have some dust removed and asked them about this and they said it was normal and I could fill my name in if I wanted, The only thing they check for is the date of sale.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 02:09 AM   #40
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I only bought two Rolex watches from an AD. I bought a DJ 116234 from a local AD a few years ago. Their "policy" is to hold the warranty card for 30 days and then give it to the client. It's BS if you ask me. The other was a SS Daytona from a different local AD. They did not keep the warranty card.
My AD does the same thing. They have a no questions 30 day return policy as long as the item is unused and as new. If they fill out the warranty card, they cannot sell it as new if someone brings it back. (returned gift, buyers remorse, etc). That is very different though than an AD holding your card indefinitely for "service", etc. I don't have any problem with the former, but I would not accept the latter. It is a poorly veiled attempt to force you to use them for service. Even if they send it to Rolex for you, they will add some handling fee. Totally unacceptable.
Just ask the manager for them, than insist on getting them, than demand them. If they still refuse, tell them you will be seeking Rolex USA's assistance with your problem. If they say to go ahead, which I'm sure they won't, also mention that you will be filing a claim through your credit card company to void the sale for breach of contract, as the item was not complete, and they are refusing return. That will get their attention. If they want to play tough, just up the ante!
Regards,

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 02:15 AM   #41
AJAX
"TRF" Member

Watch: "The Beast" DSSD
Interesting thread. I'll add another question that's related to this. Is Rolex supposed to mail anything to you after you purchase your watch from an AD and have a properly filled out warranty card?

Rolex DEEPSEA Sea-Dweller "V" Series
AJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 02:17 AM   #42
The Mole
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
The only time the warranty card should be kept by the AD is if the watch is a gift and there is a possibility of a return/exchange
Inaugural Conference of the 12th International Chronometer Congress, October 2004.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 02:21 AM   #43
faingator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
I agree with all that was said. Get your cards!! I bought my TT Sub-C in Dec 09 and didn't get my warranty card until 30 days later. I guess they keep them in some cases until the 30 day return policy is done..
Rolex Explorer II White V-Series
Rolex Yachtmaster SS M-Series
faingator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 02:26 AM   #44
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will be heading to the AD this morning. After the discussion grew, I checked for my wife's card (bought her watch at the same AD)... no card. So it looks like I will be getting TWO cards today! I will keep everyone posted.
Tell them to take a photocopy of the cards for their files if they are that concerned about having them on file :)

Robert
Old 31 January 2010, 03:46 AM   #45
Jeepwatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
When I bought my Explorer, the AD gave me everything including the warranty card.

Unfortunately, they filled out the card wrong, put the wrong year and then corrected it by writing over top of the mistake. They put "09" insted of "10" for the year. I really didin't like that and after about a week I called them up and asked them about getting me a new card. They had me send them my card and they sent it in to Rolex who in turn sent them back another warranty card.

This time they filled it out correctly and mailed it to me. All this only took about 2 weeks. I think they went out of their way to make this right for me. By the way, this was Ben Bridge jewelers in Flat Irons Crossing mall in Colorado.

Thanks!
Jeepwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:52 AM   #46
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
i deal with lee michaels! they are awesome. call Dennis and get your damn card back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its YOUR warranty card!
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 09:17 AM   #47
Holden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
mine was bought at lee michaels and they keep the card for 30 days. But since it was bought last month on the 19th (during the holidays), now 60 days. I dont find this practice amusing.
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 01:58 AM   #48
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Did they give you the cards?
Old 1 February 2010, 02:42 AM   #49
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
This is weird , I can understand that some outlets de not have the card there and then as they are sometimes kept by the main office or branch but in that case they will mail it to you or invite you to come and pick it up when they get it in . I have heard in the US some AD's let you return the watch if you do not like it ( return policy ) ( fat chance that to happen in Europe ) in that case they will keep the card and do not have to fill it in , so when it does come back it that watch will still be new on paper .
The story to keep it for future reference is only to make sure that you come back to them for service and hence secure the business for them . Doubt that this is honest business policy ...
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 03:15 AM   #50
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
Dennis Jewelers...I think I will call tomorrow and "politely request" my warranty card back.

Yes, that is a bunch of BS. The warranty card is absolutely supposed to accompany the watch. Most AD's I deal with make a copy of the card for their records, but NEVER, ever try to keep it. That is just plain wrong! Go get it!

Hook'em!
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 03:31 AM   #51
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

Hook 'em is right! Due to parental obligations (my wife left me with the kids for the day), I did not get over there yesterday, but it will be my first stop tomorrow.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote