The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 2018, 12:28 AM   #31
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSS View Post
funny, my AD flat out told me that one customer came in that was visiting from HK, he bought 6 rolex's and told the AD he was taking them back and would sell 4 of them, and the profits from that would pay for the remaining 2. So not only did my AD let it happen, they were bragging about it
Of course they did, they are in business to sell product. That is retail.

AD's that cannot compete, get stock or are clueless make up stories to cover their own shortcomings.

We need to revisit the thread about why we need AD's in the first place with this behavior.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 22 May 2018, 12:29 AM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
All true. Standard stuff in UK which is a year ahead of the US, and will be global policy soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I agree with you Neil, times they are a changing.
x3

The responses to these threads are often hilarious (and sadly sometimes quite condescending, particularly from those who clearly must have missed the significant number of threads on here evidencing what is really happening)

I look forward to all the naysayers apologising to the OP in due course

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:31 AM   #33
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Wow!! .....one watch model per customer for life?? Thats a great business plan....

116619LB SMURF
Old 22 May 2018, 12:51 AM   #34
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Kind of makes sense but it seems impossible to enforce. I'll believe it when I see it or hear from multiple ADs.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:52 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
What happens if i buy a blue Datejust 41, then a month later decide I really preferred white? Am I not allowed to buy a second Datejust 41?

Also wanted to point out I wasn't trying to be condescending towards you. It's the AD's and some of the stuff they frequently throw around as "fact" the annoys me. I appreciate you relaying what you were told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
One shot per model, in other words they are trying to stop guys from buying up all the SD43, Stainless Skydwellers, Stainless Daytona’s and flipping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2018, 01:01 AM   #36
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
All makes perfect sense to me.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:04 AM   #37
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
So you own a SD43

You then want to buy one for your son,,,,,but can't?
Old 22 May 2018, 01:14 AM   #38
MinMay
Banned

Discussion with a AD

I wish all Rolex value plummet so we can all move on with better things in life. Seriously. I do. It will stop all the flipping discussion
Old 22 May 2018, 01:27 AM   #39
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I hear BMW is going to do the same thing:

You can only buy one 3 series per lifetime. And they will blackball you if you show any brand loyalty!

Old 22 May 2018, 01:33 AM   #40
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Actually, some Land Rover and and Merc dealerships at some point had us sign "No export agreements"

You buy a RR or a G Wag - Full Retail, load it in a container ship and ship to Middle East. Easy and legit way to make 10K a pop.

After the no-export the little side hustle came to a halt...

Rolex could end up doing the same thing with the threat of legal action but that would decimate even private sales...

I don't like where Rolex is going with all this crap.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2018, 01:34 AM   #41
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
So if an employer wants to buy the employees a Rolex for a good year...Rolex would turn away this business?
Old 22 May 2018, 01:36 AM   #42
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

They can't even enforce this kind of policy for very expensive cars such as the Porsche GT3 RS, so I don't this happening any time soon on "much cheaper" products. I may be wrong, but if this happens they will simply kill their own market. As much as I love their products, ultimately a Rolex watch is only a well engineered piece of steel not a Rolls Royce. If they do it, I will simply spend my money somewhere else.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:39 AM   #43
DeepCeasar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea, Batman,
Ive heard of the premium 25k to get the good stuff. London Jewelers is notorious for that. Its a way to weed out the flippers I guess
Old 22 May 2018, 01:41 AM   #44
MVP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I was at an AD over the weekend discussing the shortage. They pointed out a few things Rolex is doing to stop re-sellers.

1. A person can only purchase one model of watch (for instance one SD43, one sub, one Daytona, etc) in a lifetime. If they want to purchase another one a police report or insurance statement must be provided demonstrating that the watch was damaged or stolen.
2. Rolex is talking to certain dealers to identify habitual flippers and recommending banning sales to them.
3. They are tracking purchasers, not just the name on the warranty cards.

I am not sure if this applies to all dealers or just the large chains.
Does this all just make the gray market that much more desirable to enter into, and as a result people will figure out a different way to "beat" the system, and gray market prices will rise even higher?
Old 22 May 2018, 01:43 AM   #45
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
When this economic expansion concludes, does anyone really believe Rolex will be trying to limit the amount of watches purchased?

Such late cycle arrogance, it's laughable.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:43 AM   #46
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
If so it would sure be good for the bank account ... lol
Old 22 May 2018, 01:45 AM   #47
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Does this all just make the gray market that much more desirable to enter into, and as a result people will figure out a different way to "beat" the system, and gray market prices will rise even higher?
Who knows but is it reasonable for one person to purchase 4-5 SS Daytona's in one year from an AD?
Old 22 May 2018, 01:45 AM   #48
T01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_sfirloaga View Post
I really think this AD had something to drink before this discussion took place.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:49 AM   #49
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

gotta have watch control. Universal background checks
Old 22 May 2018, 01:49 AM   #50
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
The only part of this thread that might make any sense to me is that Rolex may start developing a data base for their customers, based on warranty card, so that if an AD wants to order a restricted item, Rolex would know if it was an established Rolex customer or a new Rolex customer, and manage shipments to the AD's based on that.
This would suggest that this current plan of theirs will be the long-term marketing/production plan. It seems far-fetched to me.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:50 AM   #51
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
When this economic expansion concludes, does anyone really believe Rolex will be trying to limit the amount of watches purchased?

Such late cycle arrogance, it's laughable.
Exactly.

I wrote a lengthy reply but read yours and that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. All the rest is noise. And for the people who think this hasn't happened before, it has. In 2006, the same games were being played by AD's. Maybe not everywhere but I know of many who did the "you must buy 20K to be considered for a SS Daytona, you must engrave the Daytona, you can only buy one Sub from our AD etc etc. 3 Years later, SS Daytonas were sitting in windows and greys had them less than MSRP.

Old 22 May 2018, 01:55 AM   #52
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I heard that Rolex will only sell you a new watch from 2019 on...but.. w/o the movement..stating..you have to wear it for 2 years..then bring it back to the same AD..and show them a significant # of wear marks and scratches..then they will put the movement in there for you..but it's only guaranteed for 3 years..
You get to choose what time you want the watch hands to read though..for the 1st 2 years..lol...
If you don't do this..and there are no wear marks..they are obligated to take the watch back forever..but to their credit..they give you a free Rolex hat in recompense...
Old 22 May 2018, 02:03 AM   #53
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Rolex could care less who the watch is sold to. The AD on the other hand needs leverage to get repeat customers. Makes no sense to sell a watch and never see the customer again.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:10 AM   #54
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
its quite impossible to police this without punishing loyal customers.

Rolex is indirect creator of gray market due to short supply of particular models. sellers are just taking advantage of opportunity
Old 22 May 2018, 02:19 AM   #55
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_moreno111 View Post
Rolex could care less who the watch is sold to. The AD on the other hand needs leverage to get repeat customers. Makes no sense to sell a watch and never see the customer again.
Spot on and people who think differently are fooling themselves big time. Rolex is in the business to sell watches. You want to buy 20 of them? Please, go right ahead.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:20 AM   #56
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Any lawyers in here? This sounds illegal to me.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:21 AM   #57
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I remember reading a post from an UK guy on this TRF who was trying to buy a 2nd Daytona, the AD ok'ed the sale but a higher up distributor shot it down as he already bought one. So maybe this practice is no joke and has been going in UK. With the new wide spread Rolex scarcity marketing, I'm not surprised this rationing is spreading to the US.

Taking a step back, I have seen food rationing taking place elsewhere in the world, I'm just glad that I will do perfectly OK without a Rolex and many of you will to...
Old 22 May 2018, 02:31 AM   #58
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Any lawyers in here? This sounds illegal to me.

Rolex cannot legally enforce this but they can reduce watches sent to specific dealers. I have seen this in other industries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #59
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Kind of makes sense but it seems impossible to enforce. I'll believe it when I see it or hear from ROLEX SA in Geneva.
FTFY
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 22 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #60
DeepCeasar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea, Batman,
ADs are probably bombarded with emails, dms, walk ins and calls from all over the world. Its probably not the easiest thing to determine who gets what, who is a flipper, who is a new client who will be a good long term customer. Making people pay a set dollar amount on other items to get a steel premium watch is not the solution.
Closed Thread