The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2020, 06:11 AM   #31
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
OP I'm not sure what are you asking, but if you want us to choose a watch out of the ones you mentioned, I would go for the 114060.

My last choice would be a 5digit sub.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:13 AM   #32
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgs View Post
Today I went to our local AD with a close family member who has a great reputation with them. My goal was simple, go there, see how long I would need to wait for Submariner, and try to keep this inside of my price range at the end of the day. Much to my surprise, due to with whom I went there, it should not take too long.

What I did not have a chance to do was try 2 watches I actually wanted to see in person, Explorer I and black dial Explorer II.

So we went to see the nearest gray dealer, tried both watches, and that led me to a more confusing place.

I'm not set on ND Sub purchase. Explorer I is simple and amazing, but at AD prices I'm still not sold on it. Explorer II is a bit big, but GMT and date are functions I would like to have.
Used sub date, 5 digit ref is also an option in this price range. And GMT at AD pricing too, and as I understood, it's not gonna be an issue if I decide to go that way.

What helps you decide between watches? This one will mark a few big things, and I don't think I will be making another watch purchase in the next few years.

At this point, I think I would like to go new, but birth year sub to commemorate the birth of my daughter and career improvements is not the worst idea ever.

I just hope that this confusion with decision making is something we all go through, and buyer regrets are not present here too often. I mean, how sad can you be when you get a Rolex .
I own both the sub and 42mm exp11 and i am nearly never wearing the sub.. Love the 216570
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:14 AM   #33
Brny11
"TRF" Member

No matter what you get, you will probably think about the others you considered. That is why this is a addictive hobby. I would recommend setting the foundation in your first (I.e. sub) in case it is your one and only. I dream about many watches but only to add, would never replace my 116610ln in that capacity.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #34
vgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: collection?
This looks like pros and cons inside my head haha.

Ongoing debate I have with myself all the time, I think only solution is to get two pieces
vgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:39 AM   #35
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I agree with the "if you see it you will know it" sentiment. The problem is, it's nearly impossible to "see" the watches theses days! At least at an AD. I didn't care for the Hulk or the Bluesey and really wanted a Skydweller, until I saw them in person on someone's wrist and tried them on, and that was when I "knew" what I wanted (Hulk). But just looking at pictures doesn't do it.

So do what you can to actually see and try them on, if you can. You may be surprised at what you end up loving...

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:00 AM   #36
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Get both, you will in the end anyway.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #37
vgs
"TRF" Member

I think I will use "what if I ever buy only one" principle here, and then in the future, I might get the second Rolex.

The second one should be easier to choose when I tick some of the boxes with the first one.

And if I don't find older 16610M to try, I will go with a new one for sure.
Old 15 January 2020, 03:30 AM   #38
vgs
"TRF" Member

Ok, had another gray dealer visit after work today.

Things are more clear now with few days to think about it. It's gonna be a submariner.

Explorer II is definitely too big, Explorer I might be a future purchase, not the first one. Its simplicity speaks to me on so many levels, it feels great on my wrist, but, to be perfectly honest I don't feel spending that kind of money on the watch so simple. I guess I'm just not there jet.

Now the only thing I need to decide is 5 or 6 digit.

5 digit is amazing, I like the date one with 4 lines of text, I like the vintage feel, size, and everything. It's amazing.

6 digit is just wow on the wrist. Much more blingy feel, almost like RO, hard to miss, I like the maxi case I must admit.
Old 15 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #39
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgs View Post
What helps you decide between watches?
Time.

The day will come when you know what watch you want. Be patient.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote