The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2024, 10:30 PM   #31
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofromthebay View Post
If this was even remotely possible, you wouldn’t want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad but so true
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 12:43 AM   #32
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Simple answer: You cant
goldboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 04:50 AM   #33
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Don't bother - waited years for mine, and disappointed with the watch, personally. It's not worth the hype at all imo. Now a zenith 16520... that's a different story. Currently looking for a NOS example.
Old 5 March 2024, 05:00 AM   #34
Havfun
"TRF" Member

I wonder how many people would still want one if there was no shortage. I do not love that watch personally
Havfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 05:03 AM   #35
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
You can't. Go grey or wait many, many years.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 06:00 AM   #36
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Don't bother - waited years for mine, and disappointed with the watch, personally. It's not worth the hype at all imo. Now a zenith 16520... that's a different story. Currently looking for a NOS example.

I am an all around Daytona fanboy so I won’t disparage on the 116500. However, I’m with you in saying the Zenith 16520s are the best iteration of the Daytona. I absolutely love them.

I noticed you said you’re looking for a NOS. I’d highly recommend you save yourself some money and get a nice (unpolished or very minimally polished) example unless your intent is to put it in a safe. If you’re going to wear it - which I hope you do - there no sense in paying a NOS premium. That’s money out the window as that premium disappears once there’s any wear on it.

Old 5 March 2024, 06:55 AM   #37
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Start you own AD.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 10:11 AM   #38
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havfun View Post
I wonder how many people would still want one if there was no shortage. I do not love that watch personally
Well, the “hard to get” aura for SS Daytonas started around 1988 when the 16520 was launched. I’d say a lot of people have wanted one over those 36 years and I wouldn’t expect it to change.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 01:01 PM   #39
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

In hong kong there are plenty of ADs. Walk in and ask the question sincerely. I don't know what else to tell you.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 01:40 PM   #40
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havfun View Post
Same. I agree it's a really good looking watch but hard to tell the time on the steel models. I like the toolish aesthetic. A few of the PM models have nicer dials (true panda dials which are easier to read). It would drive me nuts not having a moving large seconds hand though. And TBH, engaging the pushers always feels a little sketchy. Like you wouldn't want to do it too often. Probably wrong about that but just how it feels. Pushers on the Speedmaster are much smoother. I know, heresy.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 02:11 PM   #41
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
In hong kong there are plenty of ADs. Walk in and ask the question sincerely. I don't know what else to tell you.
Most of us have been into watches and Rolex for awhile, so it’s a bit hard hearing the same question from new folks coming into the space.

I had a hiatus from watches for a few years, and when I heard in 2018 I couldn’t just go buy a BLNR, I frankly couldn’t believe it. I did go to a few ADs and ask (even around the world as I was traveling a lot for work), and yep lo’ and behold confirmed.

Most people not in the space already just can’t believe it, I mean there’s not that many goods in the world that you “just can’t buy”. Especially for a brand like Rolex that is so well known. Most know Rolex from 30 years ago, and it’s obviously not the same today.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 02:19 PM   #42
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I am an all around Daytona fanboy so I won’t disparage on the 116500. However, I’m with you in saying the Zenith 16520s are the best iteration of the Daytona. I absolutely love them.

I noticed you said you’re looking for a NOS. I’d highly recommend you save yourself some money and get a nice (unpolished or very minimally polished) example unless your intent is to put it in a safe. If you’re going to wear it - which I hope you do - there no sense in paying a NOS premium. That’s money out the window as that premium disappears once there’s any wear on it.

Cause of the movement or the aesthetics? Or both?

Old 5 March 2024, 02:43 PM   #43
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Why just panda there are other models like TT you can get at a reasonable time frame.The movements are the same.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 04:31 PM   #44
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

Top comment.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 04:32 PM   #45
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Start you own AD.
Next best comment
Old 5 March 2024, 07:28 PM   #46
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Start you own AD.
This would work
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 09:01 PM   #47
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I was told AD require $400K spend before one get to queue for a Daytona.

Unless you get to buy for others using your account so that you get the credit, you do end up spending 'less' if you go gray and pay the premium.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 09:46 PM   #48
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanana View Post
Hi everyone,

How can I get a brand new Daytona white dial at retail price? Any strategy or prefered location in the world? Happy to wait 12 months.
Apologies if this is a naive question.
Friend of mine in the watch/ jewlery industry said impossible to get even for him.
Spend HK$2.5m (maybe need more) on diamond jewllery in the store and demand you want a Daytona at retail to do the deal or befriend/date/marry the Boss/Son/Daugther of the AD.

You ARE NOT going to get a SS Daytona at retail price in HK without doing one of the above.

My friend from HK in 2019 asked me what he should buy, a PP 5711 or a 116500. I laughed at him saying how do you think you can get those! I told him the 5711 was the one to go for out of the 2. 4 weeks later he was wearing the hottest PP at the time, a blue dial 5711. He got 10% off list too....

HOW?

He plays golf with the owner of one of the HK AD's. The boss told him to go to the store and pay and collect, as he had instructed the staff to expect him.
He was telling me how pissed off the Sales Assistants were that they lost heavy hitter than could generate so much income for the store (on bundling).
Old 5 March 2024, 09:47 PM   #49
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
I know what reaction they will have though....
Old 10 March 2024, 05:15 AM   #50
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Cause of the movement or the aesthetics? Or both?

To me it is the aesthetics. The Zenith is simply perfect in proportion and balance with the positioning and size of the subdial registers.

It took me several years of watch collecting to see it, but now I find myself comparing everything to the Zenith models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 March 2024, 05:20 AM   #51
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Daytona: Simple question

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
You’ve been a member since 2009, and you honestly don't know this information?

Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 05:56 AM   #52
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

There is a simple strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanana View Post
Hi everyone,

How can I get a brand new Daytona white dial at retail price? Any strategy or prefered location in the world? Happy to wait 12 months.
Apologies if this is a naive question.
Friend of mine in the watch/ jewlery industry said impossible to get even for him.
If you really want one? pay market price.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 02:33 PM   #53
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
If you really want one? pay market price.
One way to justify going this route is that because the watch is so in-demand, it'll retain it's value more or less. You buy it for $30k, you'll be able to sell it for around that price. Heaven forbid, Rolex discontinues the model for a few years, you would've hit jackpot.

Wanting one at retail price for $15k, I think, has more to do with self-validation that you were chosen to buy one than saving $15k for a watch that sells at $30k on the used market. Either that or you really stretching your budget and $15k is your max.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want $200k worth of jewelry or watches to begin with. If this is truly what is required before you're offered one, then idk if this a "competition" worth playing. But, others with lots of money and desire may like the game or their situation is very different.
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 03:54 PM   #54
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeac View Post
One way to justify going this route is that because the watch is so in-demand, it'll retain it's value more or less. You buy it for $30k, you'll be able to sell it for around that price. Heaven forbid, Rolex discontinues the model for a few years, you would've hit jackpot.

Wanting one at retail price for $15k, I think, has more to do with self-validation that you were chosen to buy one than saving $15k for a watch that sells at $30k on the used market. Either that or you really stretching your budget and $15k is your max.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want $200k worth of jewelry or watches to begin with. If this is truly what is required before you're offered one, then idk if this a "competition" worth playing. But, others with lots of money and desire may like the game or their situation is very different.
I am in another thread saying essentially the same thing. Evidence supports the fact that those who are "awarded" the Daytona SS 12's (and before, 11's) are usually clients that are at the top percentile of a customer list ranked by spend.

It costs AD's ~50% per piece, thus a 50% margin. Most jewelery ranges from a 60-90% margin, hence it's obvious why maximizing spend on jewelery is rewarded through a "reward piece" like the Daytona. You can actually find on the web (comical as it is) several experts highlight the engagement "trick," where one picks out an engagement ring at the AD, then the couple casually asks "what about the groom?" which cues a statemetn of "well I always wanted a [sub/gmt/etc.]."

I once saw a customer with a Daytona on and asked the SA jokingly "how'd he get that?" They responded matter-of-factly that he spent $150k on jewelry.
Old 10 March 2024, 04:03 PM   #55
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Try pretending you are famous and feign outrage when they don't know who you are.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 07:29 PM   #56
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
You must be kid-ding.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote