The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2022, 08:26 PM   #31
mattidk
"TRF" Member

You haven't told us what are your relationships with AD or any buying history, otherwise your wish list will just continue be your wish list even when your kids are grown up :)
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 08:31 PM   #32
Prophessor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
.....and then I woke up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Better off sending that list to Santa Clause...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv4200 View Post
Oh man
Prophessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 08:48 PM   #33
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Odds are definitely against you. Good luck on the hunt. You never know.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 08:53 PM   #34
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Szymecki View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I have not purchased a Rolex since the early 90s and I see things have changed. I still have my 16613 and will never let it go. My goal is to add two more watches in the next year or so that will remain with me forever. The three I will hopefully own within the next year or so will be passed on to my three children in two or three decades.

I guess my question is; should I provide a primary and secondary choice to the AD in the hopes that this increases the probability of one arriving? I am not familiar with how the ADs place orders or how Rolex provides stock. Or, should I just focus on the two primary watches and wait for them to arrive someday?

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated. Here are the watches I am interested in:
  • GMT Master II
    • Primary
      • 126719BLRO
      • 18 kt white gold, with meteorite dial and an Oyster bracelet
    • Alternate
  • Cosmograph Daytona
    • Primary
      • 18 kt yellow gold, with a bright green dial and an Oyster bracelet
    • Alternate
      • 18 kt white gold, with a bright blue dial and an Oyster bracelet
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:10 PM   #35
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Say hi to Wilson for me (Castaway).
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:19 PM   #36
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Say hi to Wilson for me (Castaway).
lol
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:35 PM   #37
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

do whatever you right but be prepared they are highly likely ignore you.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:42 PM   #38
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Ignorance forgiven. But...nonetheless.

You'll have to work your way up to those over a period of years. Dollars may not be the only consideration they have but they'll surely have to get to know you. I look forward to some 2025 incomings.

Think of it this way. If your AD had any of those pieces I would buy them immediately as would most people here whether they want to wear them or not as they are more valuable than gold.
Old 14 February 2022, 11:46 PM   #39
jets
"TRF" Member

If the last time you bought Rolex was 90’s hopefully you’ve established yourself enough by now to buy at secondary market prices. EVERYBODY wants what you do and AD fulfillment of your list is unlikely at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:49 PM   #40
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Should I share this with the AD?

Quote:
Better off sending that list to Santa Clause...

OP: Send the list, nothing to loose in doing so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 11:51 PM   #41
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Oh my …

Good luck on that list.
Old 15 February 2022, 12:09 AM   #42
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

What’s the hurry if they’re basically to give your kids in twenty or thirty years? You’ve been fine with one watch for decades and now you’re in a rush?

I just don’t understand most of the stuff that is being posted on this forum lately!
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 05:30 AM   #43
zudec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Would recommend starting with just one and making sure you call out your special occasion that you are buying the watch for.
zudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 05:39 AM   #44
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Retail isn't for you my friend, better save up and find a deal second hand
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 05:39 AM   #45
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

you should look at other brands.....The whole rolex situation is so screwed up....you can go grey and pay double or triple for the model you want but you will just be feeding the machine.....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 06:12 AM   #46
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Explorer 1 aint a Meteorite GMT or JM Daytona, though
This
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 06:19 AM   #47
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
What’s the hurry if they’re basically to give your kids in twenty or thirty years? You’ve been fine with one watch for decades and now you’re in a rush?

I just don’t understand most of the stuff that is being posted on this forum lately!
Probably because they are using kids as an excuse for the purchase. I laugh every time I read it.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 06:34 AM   #48
zoenatenich
"TRF" Member

If you have a good relationship with your AD, send your list. It may take you a while, but it's worth trying.
Good luck!
zoenatenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 06:38 AM   #49
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Probably because they are using kids as an excuse for the purchase. I laugh every time I read it.

I’ve seen people tell the AD the stories of why they want watches, it’s so weird and gross. How about, i have too much disposable income and don’t want to tell the time on my iPhone. These elaborate stories about my firstborn son and my fathers dying wish was that i own a Daytona are so strange.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 07:03 AM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Best of luck to you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 07:40 AM   #51
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
While this is a good list, I'd also think you should consider asking for the following to increase your chances of being allocated one:

Rainbow Daytona
Platinum Daytona with baguette markers
Patek Nautilus 5711 (with Tiffany stamp)
Audemars Piguet openworked - preferably in ceramic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 07:52 AM   #52
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Without material purchase history, the likelihood of you getting any of those are remote to never.
To give a complete and perhaps more hopeful answer, the OP should be told that if he is willing and able to pay an extortionate amount of money he can easily have one of those watches by week's end.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 07:55 AM   #53
Milhaus
"TRF" Member

OP brings up a good question though, is there any advantage to seeming “flexible” to different models from the AD, or are you better off seeming laser focussed on 1or 2 at most?
Or does it make no difference anyway?
Milhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 08:04 AM   #54
bradastra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
OP brings up a good question though, is there any advantage to seeming “flexible” to different models from the AD, or are you better off seeming laser focussed on 1or 2 at most?
As in many things, it likely depends. Being flexible by saying you want a Sub but also would be interested in an Explorer 1, Milgauss, or DJ41 in the meantime would probably come across in a relatively positive way vs. saying you're "flexible" in the sense that you'll take whichever of the hottest references they can get you soonest (you come across either as someone interested only in hype or as a flipper or both). It's like walking into Hermes and saying you want a Birkin or Kelly for your wife but don't care for anything else - almost 100% chance it will never happen.
bradastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 09:14 AM   #55
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
Depends
Are you planning on being "laser focused" on the Pepsi and the Daytona or are you going to spread your focus across various models with various hype?

Personally, I'd write a list of models you'd like to acquire from least desirable to most desirable. Basically a structured purchase plan to show your AD that you're not just interested in the Hype stuff but also plan to be loyal to that AD over the next 5-10 years

It probably would count for F-All, but if you're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, this seems a better plan than simply saying "I want a Panda Daytona cause i'm about to turn 40 AND get Married AND got a promotion at work AND want to give it to my kid one day"
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 09:35 AM   #56
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

If you don't ask, the answer will always be no!
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 10:57 AM   #57
cszy67
Banned

Well, thanks for all the valuable information and a handful of funny replies.

I guess one of the reasons I don't see this as such a big deal is because I am a very patient man, know exactly what I want, and do a good job communicating that to others. Similar dealers who I have worked with over the years have all be very professional and have always done their best to delivery exactly what I requested. Maybe the AD will just place my name on a long list and it will be months or years of waiting. That's understandable in today's market.

And no, I will not be considering any gray market purchases. Maybe I am goofy but I have only ever purchased brand new Rolex's directly from ADs and the experience of having a brand new watch delivered to me, having my name on the paperwork, etc. is meaningful to me. And it seems to prices are driven mostly by time. Me, not being in a rush and planning to have the watches forever...I have time.

And the desire for these watches has very little to do with their value. I could tell you all the stories about my late father and I having matching GMTs and Submariners, my exciting years in Naval Aviation, working at NASA LaRC, racing the WERA National Challenge series, etc. I selected these watches because they best represent me and the blessed life I have lived. Each of the features are meaningful and while I look forward to enjoying them for the rest of my life...I do hope that someday in the distant future my children will open that dusty box, pull out that beautiful timepiece, and remember the time we spent together.

Thanks again everyone - I appreciate the helpful replies.
cszy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 11:08 AM   #58
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Szymecki View Post
Well, thanks for all the valuable information and a handful of funny replies.

I guess one of the reasons I don't see this as such a big deal is because I am a very patient man, know exactly what I want, and do a good job communicating that to others. Similar dealers who I have worked with over the years have all be very professional and have always done their best to delivery exactly what I requested. Maybe the AD will just place my name on a long list and it will be months or years of waiting. That's understandable in today's market.

And no, I will not be considering any gray market purchases. Maybe I am goofy but I have only ever purchased brand new Rolex's directly from ADs and the experience of having a brand new watch delivered to me, having my name on the paperwork, etc. is meaningful to me. And it seems to prices are driven mostly by time. Me, not being in a rush and planning to have the watches forever...I have time.

And the desire for these watches has very little to do with their value. I could tell you all the stories about my late father and I having matching GMTs and Submariners, my exciting years in Naval Aviation, working at NASA LaRC, racing the WERA National Challenge series, etc. I selected these watches because they best represent me and the blessed life I have lived. Each of the features are meaningful and while I look forward to enjoying them for the rest of my life...I do hope that someday in the distant future my children will open that dusty box, pull out that beautiful timepiece, and remember the time we spent together.

Thanks again everyone - I appreciate the helpful replies.
Best of luck to you.

I can see you are looking for a really special timepiece and, unfortunately, it's a really tough time in the world of Rolex. I hope you're able to get it.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 11:32 AM   #59
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Best of luck OP
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 11:39 AM   #60
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

There's no harm in going to two or three ADs, telling them the watches you'd be interested in purchasing, and asking to be put on a list should one of the watches come in. You literally have nothing to lose by doing that. To show that you're serious, you could even offer to put down a deposit, though I don't think many ADs are doing that anymore in the current market.
RolexPD is online now   Reply With Quote