The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2021, 01:45 AM   #31
jpwv
Banned

With a less sophisticated crowd, this thread could get out of control fast. Already have guys sending pics back to the OP. hahaha.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:50 AM   #32
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
With a less sophisticated crowd, this thread could get out of control fast. Already have guys sending pics back to the OP. hahaha.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:52 AM   #33
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

In all seriousness...I think the RO is much more feminine than the Daytona and would suit you better.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:54 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If you plan on wearing it as a daily timepiece the Rolex is more reliable / durable. i'd never get my Muse / wife an AP, she's tough and active while wearing her timepieces. Her circa 1991 DJ 36 with diamonds we had custom made for her has been holding up strong and she beats the living $#!^ out of it (yes it gets serviced every five years or so, no problems).

BTW also look at the Bvlgari Octo line, as you get reliability and wonderful style. Here's mine and they do make timepieces that are more 'feminine' looking (if that's what you're seeking, no pressure about male versus female visual styling as my Muse wears some of my pieces, we share some others like the Cartier Tank XL :) ). Here's a pic of the Bvlgari Octo, which is lighter and thinner than the other two you mentioned. Just trying to help

Bvlgari_Octo_Finissimo_S.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:55 AM   #35
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 02:04 AM   #36
dannyp
Banned

The Daytona will probably be a more robust daily wearer, but an AP, to me, is just more special because of the limited quantities in which they are produced. Demand will likely be high for both for some time, but there just aren't nearly as many APs floating around out there.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 02:54 AM   #37
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I think the AP is a better looking watch but the Daytona is a better watch... AP is more dressy, the Daytona is more casual. AP is definitely more unusual. Just depends on the impression you want to make and more importantly, how each makes you feel.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 03:29 AM   #38
Coriel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Evererose Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post
I’m a female and I love love Daytona’s!! Especially the rg Choco dial..but the Ap is on a whole different level. Very classy and just different all around...if you can keep both I would. If it’s one, I would do the ap for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you my dear, my heart says AP, my concern is having bought the daytona 2 days before the SA from AP gave me the call. spending 100k in 2 watches in a matter of days is insane for me, I might sell the daytona
Coriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 03:36 AM   #39
Coriel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I think a Daytona looks really good on a woman and my wife has the steel ceramic with a white dial. My friends wife wears a steel Royal Oak and I’m pretty sure it’s the 15450 and it honestly looks amazing. I’ll get my wife a Royal Oak as her next watch.

IMO there are quite a lot of women wearing Daytonas now, wearing an AP is far more exclusive however brand awareness is far less than Rolex so if you enjoy loads of people acknowledging what you’re wearing it might be a lot less with AP.

The AP that is reserved for you is a stunning watch and the diamond bezel will stop the normal bezel scratches and give you a good amount of bling.

Thank you! The AP for me is more unique, more impressive, more exclusive, the daytona is stunning but more on a cool vibe, more relaxed if I could I would keep both!
Old 28 May 2021, 03:37 AM   #40
Coriel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post
I’m a female and I love love Daytona’s!! Especially the rg Choco dial..but the Ap is on a whole different level. Very classy and just different all around...if you can keep both I would. If it’s one, I would do the ap for sure!

Thank you my dear!
Old 28 May 2021, 03:42 AM   #41
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriel View Post
Here is how the daytona looks on me

Is that you on the pic??

Ok, to be honest, any watch would look good om you if I may say so

KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #42
Coriel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeobNepo View Post
Is that you on the pic??

Ok, to be honest, any watch would look good om you if I may say so

It is me, yes!
Old 28 May 2021, 03:52 AM   #43
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Buy em both...whichever you don’t want, will guarantee you a nice profit when offloading one. I don’t care how bad its frowned upon, for the profit on either piece, buying both and selling the other is the only way to go here and a way for the OP to leverage a potential discount from the AD...just saying
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 03:59 AM   #44
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think fortunately there are no wrong choices.

I feel the AP may go out of fashion easier, so if money is a concern, I'd go with Daytona. But fashion of the moment is the criteria, then AP wins by miles.

Also, FWIW, when I got the better half an AP, it got marked up much more easily while 'purse diving'. I case that matters to you at all from third person experience.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:04 AM   #45
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
The AP would look better on you.
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:12 AM   #46
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I’d be surprised if you couldn’t negotiate a discount on that AP.
That would be extremely surprising, given that even the 37mm RG ROs go at a premium on the grey market (and there are no discounts at the AP boutiques in any case).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:23 AM   #47
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
That would be extremely surprising, given that even the 37mm RG ROs go at a premium on the grey market (and there are no discounts at the AP boutiques in any case).
The 50k GBP diamond bezel RO goes for a premium? I thought it was this one we were discussing
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:30 AM   #48
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I think the AP is a better looking watch but the Daytona is a better watch...
How is the Daytona a "better" watch?!!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:33 AM   #49
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
The 50k GBP diamond bezel RO goes for a premium? I thought it was this one we were discussing
15451OR.ZZ.1256OR.01 has an US MSRP of $54800 and lowest asking price on C24 for unworn/full set is $63k from a dealer in HK with limited feedback. Getting it below MSRP will require some legwork, even though the C24 prices have a lot of fluff in them.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:50 AM   #50
greg19
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR GMT
Call me crazy, but can't you wear your Daytona when you go tp pick up the AP, make your comparisons, then decide at the AD? Of course if you like the AP more, you can purchase it then sell the Daytona for a nice profit. Congrats on the Daytona!
greg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:37 AM   #51
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
15451OR.ZZ.1256OR.01 has an US MSRP of $54800 and lowest asking price on C24 for unworn/full set is $63k from a dealer in HK with limited feedback. Getting it below MSRP will require some legwork, even though the C24 prices have a lot of fluff in them.
That’s strange, UK pricing is way different even factoring in sales tax in the US

Essentially RRP is 50k
Grey market anywhere from 48 to 52

Would suggest people are buying these with 10% margin if listed at these prices

Market is what it is however. RRP most likely for the OP in question.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:08 AM   #52
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg19 View Post
Call me crazy, but can't you wear your Daytona when you go tp pick up the AP, make your comparisons, then decide at the AD? Of course if you like the AP more, you can purchase it then sell the Daytona for a nice profit. Congrats on the Daytona!
+1. Try on the AP and see which sings to you more. I’m a fan of both watches but if forced to chose, I would go with the AP.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:11 AM   #53
7sins
"TRF" Member

IMO Rolex RG is a bit more feminine than AP RG due to the copper content. I think aesthetically the AP is superior and the brushed finished is remarkable. No contest AP would be the choice, I love my RG AP.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:15 AM   #54
dannyp
Banned

Looking at the watches online, there is one thing I realize I dislike about the RO in question: the combination of the diamond bezel and the signature white metal screws. It just ends up looking off.

I think a non-diamond bezel would look preferable, or, if you can get your hands one one, a 39mm Ultra Thin with the diamond hour markers.
Old 28 May 2021, 07:19 AM   #55
rcambrid
"TRF" Member

Ap...
rcambrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:23 AM   #56
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Looking at the watches online, there is one thing I realize I dislike about the RO in question: the combination of the diamond bezel and the signature white metal screws. It just ends up looking off.

I think a non-diamond bezel would look preferable, or, if you can get your hands one one, a 39mm Ultra Thin with the diamond hour markers.
i doubt the 15202 is an actual option, they're basically unicorns at this point. the price points on them now put them in the same league as a nautilus
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:47 AM   #57
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
the royal oak line from AP is the ugliest watch line out there and looks like it was designed by a robot, so I'm probably not the right person to ask haha. Def Daytona for me
Old 28 May 2021, 08:22 AM   #58
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i doubt the 15202 is an actual option, they're basically unicorns at this point. the price points on them now put them in the same league as a nautilus
True. Same with the Chrono? Looks like a bit less of a markup, but still significant.

In that case, I'd probably be an advocate for the Frosted Gold version of the 37mm, w/o diamonds. Though I've never seen in person, I have to imagine the finish is somewhat unique (given its price point).

Personally, if I were buying a Royal Oak today, I'd be looking at the 37mm stainless w/white dial. Doesn't sound like what the OP wants, but probably obtainable and doable in addition to the Daytona.
Old 28 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #59
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Rolex Daytona Everose Gold vs Audemar Piguet Royal Oak 37mm Rose Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriel View Post
Hi,
I am female and I have just purchased a Rolex Daytona Everose Gold chocolate dial, which I like a lot.
However, I was on a waiting list for an Audemar Piguet Royal Oak 37mm Rose Gold white dial with diamonds and I just got a call from AP boutique saying that they have the watch reserved for me.
I can't have both, but I love them both. Could you please help me to decide? Which one would look better in a female?
Thank you !

This is such a hard question for anyone to answer on your behalf. In order for anyone to make an educated answer we would need to know some personal details about you. For example whats wrist size, skin tone are you more casual or dressy, etc. I’m under the impression that the 37 mm RO wears significantly bigger due to the lug to lug length. Something for you to consider while making your choice.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:42 PM   #60
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
AP is a bit fragile in terms of movement and doesnt keep time as well. The case and bracelet and dial are nicer. But overall the daytona to me feels like a more special watch.

AP wears bigger than size indicates but smaller than the daytona.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote