The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2021, 04:18 AM   #31
jpwv
Banned

36mm. Unless the men in your family are very large and 36mm just dont makes sense on your wrists.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 04:20 AM   #32
Nick
"TRF" Member

What a grandpa you are….
36mm will always be a classic size.
The fact it’s from you will be more important than anything else
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 11:09 AM   #33
BeeMee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Thanks to all who responded. It looks like the consensus is that I cannot go wrong with the 36mm.

When I bought my Day-Date in 1979, it wore huge on my wrist. In those days many men's watches were smaller. Before I gave it to my son, it looked a bit on the small size on me. My son that chose the DD was concerned it might be too big on him. He remembers how big it had seemed to him. He had the bracelet resized smaller to fit him and he is thrilled with how it looks. He is the father of the two grandsons I will be buying the Datejusts for.

Tomorrow I am going to visit a local jeweler and try both sizes on to compare the differences. I will post what I decide.

Thanks again to all.
Rolex Day-Date, Bark Finish (recently gifted to son #2)
Rolex Daytona, 18K/SS (recently gifted to son #1)
BeeMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 11:13 AM   #34
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Love this post.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 12:45 PM   #35
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Datejust 36mm or 41mm?

Just an observation here, and I’m by no way biased as I’ve owned a DJ2 and a DJ41 previously.

But every time someone recommended a DJ41, they then immediately say ‘which is actually 39.5’.

It’s almost like it has to be justified and it’s like an admission that it’s a large watch that needs to be played down.

I know that’s my own personal am perception, but ot does make me laugh.

Oh, by the way, a 36mm, is actually 36mm.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 01:14 PM   #36
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I gave my son my 36mm DJ and then realized that a 39mm OP was a better piece for a young man. More fresh, young hip and unassuming and low key. If you decide to stay DJ I'd go 41mm, smooth bezel, Oyster bracelet which would be the most versatile, low key and young IMO.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 03:56 AM   #37
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

There is quite a big difference between the two models. Personally I prefer the larger DJ41…and I have small wrists. Personal preference as I like a watch with a bit of presence. Pic of my DJ41 next to my bro’s DJ36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 04:03 AM   #38
rfiorito
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
One of each and let them fight it out ...
rfiorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 04:47 AM   #39
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Best father/grandfather of year goes to YOU. Adopt me

Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 05:44 AM   #40
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
36 mm DJ with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 05:50 AM   #41
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

The one watch of all Rolex offerings that IMO belongs on a 36 is the DJ. It's the classic.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 08:58 AM   #42
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Go 41mm… 36 is just too small and basically outdated

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 09:04 AM   #43
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
I went over the years from DJ36mm > DJII > DJ41 > DJII recently back to the all time 36mm classic.
I totally relate!!! I went bigger in general, then much smaller in general. Smaller watches just tend to look better. They look better for their design and materials rather than just sheer size.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 09:06 AM   #44
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
There is quite a big difference between the two models. Personally I prefer the larger DJ41…and I have small wrists. Personal preference as I like a watch with a bit of presence. Pic of my DJ41 next to my bro’s DJ36.

Both look fantastic! No wonder it's hard to decide. One thing you and your bro (and I) can agree on.....fluted bezel is a must! Worth every penny.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 03:22 PM   #45
Number16
"TRF" Member

Beautiful.
Number16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 09:28 AM   #46
BeeMee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Yesterday, my wife and I visited a jeweler that had a lot of pre-owned Rolexes. I was wearing my GMT IIC. My wrist measure 6 3/4". I tried both sizes on. The 36 looked lost on my wrist and the 41mm looked perfect. There was another customer in the store. His wrist was smaller than mine. We asked him to try on my GMT first. It was about 1 link too big for him. Then he tried on a 36mm Datejust. It looked fine. Then he tried on a 41mm Datejust. Of course it was larger than the 36mm, but still looked very good on his wrist. All of us - the other gentleman, the salesperson, my wife and I, felt the 41 was the better choice.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. Most of you prefer the 36mm and I understand that that size is very popular and most likely will remain very popular. It works for most men and some women as well.

I have no idea what the future will bring in watches. With all the digital watches such as the Apple watch and others, will wristwatches still be popular in the future for those who are not watch enthusiasts?

Since I have time to purchase the watches for my grandsons, I put my name in at an AD for a 41mm Datejust, oyster bracelet, smooth bezel and either a blue or black stick dial. That combination seems to me to be more youthful than the traditional Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. When (or if) I get one of those, I will try to get another with the other color dial. If I have no luck through an AD, I can always buy one through one of the Rolex Forum trusted grey dealers.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments on my gifting Rolexes to my sons and grandsons. Your comments gave me a warm feeling.
Rolex Day-Date, Bark Finish (recently gifted to son #2)
Rolex Daytona, 18K/SS (recently gifted to son #1)
BeeMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:45 AM   #47
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemee View Post
yesterday, my wife and i visited a jeweler that had a lot of pre-owned rolexes. I was wearing my gmt iic. My wrist measure 6 3/4". I tried both sizes on. The 36 looked lost on my wrist and the 41mm looked perfect. There was another customer in the store. His wrist was smaller than mine. We asked him to try on my gmt first. It was about 1 link too big for him. Then he tried on a 36mm datejust. It looked fine. Then he tried on a 41mm datejust. Of course it was larger than the 36mm, but still looked very good on his wrist. All of us - the other gentleman, the salesperson, my wife and i, felt the 41 was the better choice.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. Most of you prefer the 36mm and i understand that that size is very popular and most likely will remain very popular. It works for most men and some women as well.

I have no idea what the future will bring in watches. With all the digital watches such as the apple watch and others, will wristwatches still be popular in the future for those who are not watch enthusiasts?

Since i have time to purchase the watches for my grandsons, i put my name in at an ad for a 41mm datejust, oyster bracelet, smooth bezel and either a blue or black stick dial. That combination seems to me to be more youthful than the traditional jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. When (or if) i get one of those, i will try to get another with the other color dial. If i have no luck through an ad, i can always buy one through one of the rolex forum trusted grey dealers.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments on my gifting rolexes to my sons and grandsons. Your comments gave me a warm feeling.
👍
Old 23 August 2021, 12:02 PM   #48
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
What a grandpa you are….
36mm will always be a classic size.
The fact it’s from you will be more important than anything else

Couldn’t have said it better.

I have male friends over 6’ tall who wear a 36mm DJ. Heck, that’s what John Wayne wore!

Go for the 36mm DJ. It’s classic and classy. There’s nothing wrong with an aspirational watch from Grandpa!

The fact that it came from you is special enough.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 12:05 PM   #49
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
I personally think 36 looks most classic for a DJ. It's timeless and the safe bet between the two.
stark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:08 AM   #50
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Amazing!

Now I think you are thinking long haul, heirlooms. I think personally 36mm. It will fit anyone and everyone regardless of how big your grandsons will be eventually.

But also importantly, if they happen to be passing these watches on to great grand daughters down the line, the 36mm is far more reasonable.

Also on 36mm vs 40ish in general. The long term history has to go with 36mm. And the current trend is back to smaller sizes. So I think betting on the DJ41 long term... it's going to be a novelty but not likely a preferred option in 10 to 20 years imo just looking at history and trend.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:10 AM   #51
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMee View Post
Need some advice. I am 82 years old and have decided to downsize my watch collection.

I have gifted my Day-Date and my Daytona to my two sons. I still have my GMT-llC and it is designated to be gifted to my eldest grandson at a later date. I am planning to sell a couple of other non-Rolex watches and purchase two Datejusts for my other two grandsons.

They are young (12 & 14) so the watches will be given to their parents to be held for them until they are old enough to appreciate them. I am trying to decided what size watches to purchase - 36mm or 41mm.

I know that most kids today do not wear watches - they have their phones to tell time. However, as they get older I would hope that they would appreciate watches that they received from their grandfather. If not, they can always sell them.

What size should I buy and why one size vs. the other?

Thanks for your advice.
I’m 60 and starting to think along your legacy lines. My wife gifted me in ‘96 a 36mm DJ that I still wear. But I think my son would appreciate more, if he had to choose, a 41mm DJ. It may be a younger or sports oriented mentality that gravitates toward a larger diamenter. 41mm is less formal and youthful. 36mm is classic and dressy. I would buy 41mm DJ’s. It’s a borderline large size that I don’t think will run out of style.

Hope you continue to have health and joy!
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:15 AM   #52
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

36 for fluted w/jubilee, 41 for smooth w/oyster. 36 for TT.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:42 AM   #53
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Love this old debate. It's not about a number. It's about the design.

The 36mm DJ is perfect. The 41mm, regardless of its actual size, is bloated and doesn't look right. There's too much real estate on the dial for those skinny hands and hour markers.

Ask yourself this ... Have men's wrists grown incredibly since the 1940s, '50s, '60s, '70s, and on and on .... no, they haven't. So, a 36mm DJ was a perfect size for men for decades, but now it's not? That argument doesn't make sense. The 36mm size for the design of a DJ is classic and timeless.

Also, many younger guys LOVE retro style, old stuff, vintage design, etc ... Just because a dude is 21, doesn't mean he needs an oversized watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:17 AM   #54
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

36: it is the eternal classic DJ.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:55 AM   #55
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

All these guys touting 36mm.....try to sell a 36mm and then talk to me. A 41mm is where it's at right now and for the future and especially for young folks who are NOT wearing dinky little watches. My wife is wearing a 36mm DJ and I tied to talk her into 41 for an OP Turquoise but she wants to stay at 36mm. Fine. (But actually I think 39mm would be the perfect size for her but they don't make that now in the OP turk). I'm 60 and have bought watches for all my 3 sons so I've given plenty of thought to this. 36mm is not enough these days. It just look like a midsize.....a hand me down. Need to go bigger for a young man's wrist or it looks like somebody died and left it to them. Anyone who thinks a 41 DJ looks bloated probably thinks a Sky dweller with Jubilee looks ridiculous. The market doesn't think that and I don't think that. It's a DJ 41 on steroids and it looks great. The DJ 36 on the other hand is a lovely piece.....for a lady or a wee small litltle man with a less than 6in wrist. Not for a young man in his prime and not something he will grow up with and wear for decades..
Old 24 August 2021, 08:17 AM   #56
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
I recently picked up a 126000 last week. I never owned a 36mm so I thought I might give it a try. I brought it home and now just looking at it, I wish I got the 41mm size. I guess I got to use to wearing a minimal of 39mm. You live, you learn. I guess it would be much different if it was an heirloom piece. Good luck with the decision.
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:30 AM   #57
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
All these guys touting 36mm.....try to sell a 36mm and then talk to me.
OK, I'm talking. I've sold several vintage and new 36mm DJs over the last couple of years with no problem, and always with a profit, although that's not the reason I sold them. I'll get another one in the near future. Much better design and proportions than the 41mm.

In fact, right now, the new 126234 36mm DJ is much tougher to find on the secondary market compared to the 41mm version. A quick search on WatchRecon shows that.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:52 PM   #58
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

36 in my opinion. Despite lusting after a 41 for a few years, I find it to be a huge slab of a watch due to it being all dial.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:17 PM   #59
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
All these guys touting 36mm.....try to sell a 36mm and then talk to me. A 41mm is where it's at right now and for the future and especially for young folks who are NOT wearing dinky little watches. My wife is wearing a 36mm DJ and I tied to talk her into 41 for an OP Turquoise but she wants to stay at 36mm. Fine. (But actually I think 39mm would be the perfect size for her but they don't make that now in the OP turk). I'm 60 and have bought watches for all my 3 sons so I've given plenty of thought to this. 36mm is not enough these days. It just look like a midsize.....a hand me down. Need to go bigger for a young man's wrist or it looks like somebody died and left it to them. Anyone who thinks a 41 DJ looks bloated probably thinks a Sky dweller with Jubilee looks ridiculous. The market doesn't think that and I don't think that. It's a DJ 41 on steroids and it looks great. The DJ 36 on the other hand is a lovely piece.....for a lady or a wee small litltle man with a less than 6in wrist. Not for a young man in his prime and not something he will grow up with and wear for decades..
But the watches that are handed over to his grandchildren are not meant to be sold, are they? 36mm is the traditional size for the DJ. There will always be a 36mm DJ in Rolex's catalogue. The 41mm DJ was introduced only in 2009 as the DJ2 before being renamed as DJ41. So if someone is looking for tradition to be passed over to the next generation, DJ 36 is the timeless classic option. I am a strong believer of the 36mm size because of that and I have no regrets of choosing a 36mm over a 39mm or 41mm.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2021, 02:02 AM   #60
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
The OP has three years on me and we have the same 6 3/4" wrist size. I've worn 40mm GMTs for decades, but when it came to choosing something a little more formal I went with a 36mm DJ Turn-O-Graph (fluted WG bezel, oyster bracelet). I have no thoughts of gifting it to anyone, so that was never part of my decision. After wearing it for several months, I'm sure I made the right choice for me, but it's such a subjective individual decision I wouldn't push my choice on anyone else.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote