The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Stupid having a 5711 and 5712 in a 5 piece collection?
Stupid 68 34.34%
No it's great get what you prefer 130 65.66%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 September 2016, 01:08 AM   #31
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I had a 5712 and flipped it in a trade earlier this year, and I still regret it. And even more recently this year, my AD let me know he had a 5711/1a and asked if I wanted it. I bought it thinking it would replace my missed 5712/1a, but it didn't. I really liked it, but I realized my heart is with the 5712. I flipped the 5711 (and made a few hundred bucks even). I still have my eyes set on a 5712, but I'm taking a break for a little while. My 2-cents is that unless something special AND accessible comes out for the 40th, I would sit tight on the 3 plus the incoming independent piece, for a total of 4. I don't see the 5711 getting much wrist time knowing how fond you are of the 5712.
Old 11 September 2016, 01:40 AM   #32
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
I have 3700-001, 3700-011, 5711-010, 3712/1A, 5712/1A and 5980/1A and there's not even one Nautilus too many.

Best, Kari
Very nice Kari, I would love to have a 3712, could get one 3 years ago sealed for 6K more than a 5712, thought why pay more, when I see the prices now I regret...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
It's not redundant if you think you'll wear it, but if you'll always wear the 5712 in preference to it then I'd pass. Your AP and 5167 you would probably wear on different occasions, but if you're going to wear a 5712 or 5711 would you ever choose the 5711?
Well basically I am getting it because I do think it is stunning, in a different way, and I intend to have at home the AP and one other piece, the others in the bank and once a week change the watch, it's also a way to keep my 5712 in a super state for many years as I really am against polishing, if they are all at home sure I will at 80% take the 5712, but with this system I think why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
You have to get what you like to wear. Only keep the pieces that evoke emotion! Now to that blue dial.......very hard to resist!
I agree, basically the only 2 watches, from the ones I can afford, that evoke emotion in SS are the 5712 and 5711, the others are very nice, but none which I find special, even the 15202

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I think you think too much
Yeah I know, that's a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
You have one of the nicest collection that I've seen. You should post more pics here.
Yes Kari, we would love to see you post more here and post pics especially

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I guess since you cant lose on resale value etc is to see what happens when it arrives....
Yes in worse case no real downside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
I would reconsider 15202. Maybe try one see how you feel.
I tried it and while great it doesn't make me feel like a blue dial Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I think it is redundant as well

A bit leftfield but how about a Roger Dubuis or another brand? Something a bit different in your collection
They just don't do it for me as the 5711 and 5712 do

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I don't see the 5711 getting much wear time in your case so buy then flip for a few bucks or maybe offer to a friend who really wants one. You have a Special Piece on order and the 5712 is your all time favorite and you also have a nice RG option on Rubber waiting for pickup and the Ceramic diver to beat around. Plenty of variety between Leather, Rubber, and Bracelet options as well as different case materials. I prefer quality over quantity so I would not tie up another 20K in a piece that may not get much usage. Just my 2cents.
I understand Mike, but I really like it a lot, when I see good pics it is amazing, ok prefer a little the 5712 but still close, and I like the idea to have 2 SS watches, the others will be all different materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I had a 5712 and flipped it in a trade earlier this year, and I still regret it. And even more recently this year, my AD let me know he had a 5711/1a and asked if I wanted it. I bought it thinking it would replace my missed 5712/1a, but it didn't. I really liked it, but I realized my heart is with the 5712. I flipped the 5711 (and made a few hundred bucks even). I still have my eyes set on a 5712, but I'm taking a break for a little while. My 2-cents is that unless something special AND accessible comes out for the 40th, I would sit tight on the 3 plus the incoming independent piece, for a total of 4. I don't see the 5711 getting much wrist time knowing how fond you are of the 5712.
The 5712 is for me an incredible piece, by far my favorite SS watch, with the 5711 just behind and the 15202 a little further...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 02:48 AM   #33
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

For me it would be too redundant, but if you love the watches and want both in your collection, then go with that
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 04:55 AM   #34
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
You flipped the blue blazer?!!

To the OP, I have tried to imagine having a smaller collection, but I just can't do it. I can't even travel with less than 6. Admittedly, I do travel a lot for business.
Old 11 September 2016, 05:49 AM   #35
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
You flipped the blue blazer?!!

To the OP, I have tried to imagine having a smaller collection, but I just can't do it. I can't even travel with less than 6. Admittedly, I do travel a lot for business.

I know! The insanity of this addiction. I just have a soft spot in my heart for the 5712, partly because it was my first PP. I should have kept it. If I did, I would not have bought the 5711.
Old 11 September 2016, 07:09 AM   #36
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, too similar. Am I guilty of this move, absolutely!
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 07:18 AM   #37
11erv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice, do you wear the 5167 much? I guess due to the composite strap (Presume its the non bracelet version) its kind of the daily / beater in your collection (though I hate that beater term if referring to PP but guess you can be more care free with it)
The 5167 gets plenty of wear, supremely comfortable. The four PPs sit amid a mostly vintage collection. The vintage watches tend to take the daily beating, mostly.
11erv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 07:52 AM   #38
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Great to have rules to avoid a buying frenzy. Lots of great watches out there and you can have dozens if you don't have some rules or don't know what you like to wear often.

I aimed for a 5 watch collection. My rule was one watch per brand but I broke that rule when I got the new Daytona.

If I were you I'd get the Daytona and the 5711 and give them all some time. Over the next 1-2 years you will go down to 5 based on what you wear the most.
Good luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 11 September 2016, 07:52 AM   #39
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I have a bunch of Rolex sports models in a 9 watch collection - they're all practically identical. Always buy what you like.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 08:20 AM   #40
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Great to have rules to avoid a buying frenzy. Lots of great watches out there and you can have dozens if you don't have some rules or don't know what you like to wear often.

I aimed for a 5 watch collection. My rule was one watch per brand but I broke that rule when I got the new Daytona.

If I were you I'd get the Daytona and the 5711 and give them all some time. Over the next 1-2 years you will go down to 5 based on what you wear the most.
Good luck

Very nice and funny about the mention of breaking your rule. I am trying to reduce my Rolex SS to purchase my first Patek, ideally I would have just one Rolex however I cant bear to part with either my white Daytona or ND Sub!! The rest of my Rolex no problem but those two are kinda the classics that I love too much!

I tried an experiment the other day and boxed away the ones I plan to sell - with them out of sight I have not missed them at all!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 08:58 AM   #41
11erv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice, do you wear the 5167 much? I guess due to the composite strap (Presume its the non bracelet version) its kind of the daily / beater in your collection (though I hate that beater term if referring to PP but guess you can be more care free with it)
The 5167 gets worn often enough, but the 'beater' duties are mostly borne by the vintage collection, amid which the 5711, 5712, 5726 and 5167 sit.
Old 11 September 2016, 09:01 AM   #42
11erv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apologies, I have given up attempting to reply to this. The 'moderators' are still reviewing my previous two replies, both of which were anodyne. Over and out.
Old 11 September 2016, 11:37 AM   #43
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Is it stupid having a 5711 and 5712 in a 5 watch collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Yes it is redundant.

I have a 5711-r and the 5712 SS. I think that makes enough sense to keep both around.

I personally would not have both in SS

Agreed, I would do what John has....
In fact I have a 15305OR (rose gold) and would consider 15305SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 11:44 AM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Good luck

RUK,

This is a fabulous lineup. Well done.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 11:47 AM   #45
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck

See...no what if, I can't make up my mind, I have on order, I've left a deposit, I have coming in 10 months, blah, blah...that is a great get it now collection.

Well done.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:18 PM   #46
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See...no what if, I can't make up my mind, I have on order, I've left a deposit, I have coming in 10 months, blah, blah...that is a great get it now collection.

Well done.
Paul, you needed more than 1 year to get your RM 011 in RG, the only thing is that you looked, I ordered, but on timing you exceed me they don't have a "come in our boutique and choose what you want" To my knowledge there's not any AD or boutique who sells them.
Old 11 September 2016, 02:51 PM   #47
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I don't see the 5711 getting much wear time in your case so buy then flip for a few bucks or maybe offer to a friend who really wants one. You have a Special Piece on order and the 5712 is your all time favorite and you also have a nice RG option on Rubber waiting for pickup and the Ceramic diver to beat around. Plenty of variety between Leather, Rubber, and Bracelet options as well as different case materials. I prefer quality over quantity so I would not tie up another 20K in a piece that may not get much usage. Just my 2cents.
I agree with this.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 07:20 PM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done.
Paul, what is better, to not ask anybody (I already said this before but my friends don't care about watches, when they have money they buy real estate and a 100K car, sometimes art and travel, that's it, not one watch lover) and do impulsive buying on pieces that I will flip a few months later, or to really think things through?
You say blah blah, yeah maybe I do many threads, but what I can guarantee you is that the watches I am talking about will be coming, wait and see, if the 3 watches I announced (not getting the Daytona, will use the AP as beater, had I not posted a thread and gotten feedback I probably would have gotten it, almost never wore it and flipped it) don't come as I announced then you can say it's blah blah, I said I was getting the 5712 in July, I got it, I am saying a 5167R is waiting for me I just need to have time to go to Davos, as well as spend a few days in Paris, now I can't, but in 2-3 weeks I will, plus the 5711 (don't want to miss that one, my AD is ordering for me the PP cigar cutter and cigar case for two cigars, basically the only swag I really want with the small wallet that I already got, so it will be a watch and 2 very cool things) and the other as you know.
I try not to waste money and always get a great deal, so I'm not in the "get it now collection", did that, lost a few K, luckily not many as I only got relatively in demand pieces, the worse I did was loose 2.000 euros on my 116515, I'm in the "understand really what keepers are made for me, get the best deal possible", even if that means waiting a few months.

Have a great sunday
Old 11 September 2016, 08:49 PM   #49
unknown
"TRF" Member

absolutely not
I could live with only 4 watches
If it was a complete 5070 set :-)
Old 12 September 2016, 06:18 AM   #50
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
absolutely not
I could live with only 4 watches
If it was a complete 5070 set :-)
I'd have a hard time but good answer, think it should be cool having both iteration of your favorite watch as well
Old 12 September 2016, 09:38 AM   #51
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
I have a 5712 and was recently offered the 5711... Double sealed 5711... At list price... No markup. It was really really painful to say no to the 5711 but I did. I just knew that the 5712 and 5711 are aesthetically too similar, and I will end up ignoring the 5711.

IMO, they key to having a collection that gets plenty of wrist time to all watches, is where two pieces aren't too similar to each other. Of course, you have to love each piece for what it is, and not just collect to "cover all bases"

Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 10:11 AM   #52
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkalot View Post
IMO, they key to having a collection that gets plenty of wrist time to all watches, is where two pieces aren't too similar to each other. Of course, you have to love each piece for what it is, and not just collect to "cover all bases"
Yeah ive kind of started to learn this with my Rolex collection - too many similar divers etc

Im on the list for a 5711 but also fancy the Aquanaut 5167. I think I will change from the 5711 to the 5712 so that one is a simple dial the other not.

Frustrating how hard to get these at the moment!
Old 12 September 2016, 10:15 AM   #53
mrenvy
"TRF" Member

Some people have all 5 Daytona in the collection or 5 Submariner. I don't see a problem by even having 5 Nautinus.
mrenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 10:26 AM   #54
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrenvy View Post
Some people have all 5 Daytona in the collection or 5 Submariner. I don't see a problem by even having 5 Nautinus.
I guess what makes people happy is the main thing. I just (personally) find lately that in a smaller collection that there are too many great varied watches out there to try etc rather then having multiples of the same model.

Nautilus may be a little diff I suppose with the chrono, simple dial, annual calender etc. A little bit different then having 4 colour variations of a Submariner.
Old 12 September 2016, 01:21 PM   #55
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Just get what you want!!!!!

I appreciate the what do you think threads, but Paul is right.......if you made commitments already, what does it matter?
Old 12 September 2016, 04:03 PM   #56
waspy1
Banned

It really doesn't matter what any of us think to be honest. Just go with your gut. You do seem to have a tendency to overthink things from the sounds of things - setting yourself a bunch of arbitrary rules etc. If it was me, I'd say too many 'genta' inspired flat bezels for a small collection but it seems to be your preference. Nothing wrong with that. In matters of taste etc....

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 04:49 PM   #57
lapince
"TRF" Member

Ok thanks guys
Old 12 September 2016, 08:52 PM   #58
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
I have 3700-001, 3700-011, 5711-010, 3712/1A, 5712/1A and 5980/1A and there's not even one Nautilus too many.

Best, Kari
Lol.

Respect!
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 01:20 AM   #59
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
The WIS mind is a mystery
so what for one person is redundant is perfect sense for the other.
For me it doesn't make sense unless they are different metals, like one in gold with leather strap and the other full SS bracelet , or one full gold bracelet and the other SS case with strap. You get the point, so you feel variety between them.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 02:42 AM   #60
ash20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
It would be redundant IMO, Arnaud. Love both but personally would not tie up the money in something so similar. Be patient--one of the hardest things to do as a WIS--no rush in spending money unless you think you may like the 5711 more and prefer to have it over the 5712 It may feel like the best option for the money between current watches available but there will always be something new (eventually) and I've found that tastes change. Patience, my friend
ash20 is offline   Reply With Quote