The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2023, 06:58 PM   #31
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
…my condolences. wishing you strength during this obvious tough time.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 10:43 PM   #32
sub2011
"TRF" Member

What a tragedy!!! Sorry!
sub2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 10:49 PM   #33
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
My main AD (independent) closed its doors 2+ years ago. I know that feeling as I had been buying from them for over 17 years. Luckily I have a solid relationship with a boutique now and never had to buy anything I didn’t want. Good luck.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 10:57 PM   #34
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It happens. I lost my AD I started out with several years ago, within a 30 minute drive of my home, no less.

But, fortune smiled and I found another one, only an hour and a half away. Found them by accident, on this forum no less, when I read they had the Tudor Pepsi for sale when I was looking for one. They have been absolutely wonderful to deal with, and I feel fortunate to have found them.

So, stay positive and keep moving toward your goals. Good things will happen.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 11:22 PM   #35
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy94 View Post
Is there anything more demoralizing than losing a relationship with a dealer that you forged?
Are we talking about watch game problems or real life problems here? Because if we are talking about real life, I'm sure there are a few things worse than your bloody AD moving on...

Get a grip of yourself man!
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 11:25 PM   #36
Sebenza
"TRF" Member

Same thing happened to me. Haven't been able to buy a Rolex from an AD in a few years.
Sebenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 02:48 AM   #37
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Any idea why they lost status?
They told a customer there WAS a problem with the 3235 movement!

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 02:59 AM   #38
charlitos
"TRF" Member

Game over.
charlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 04:50 AM   #39
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subshark1861 View Post
I thought you meant the AD had actually lost your watch.

Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 04:58 AM   #40
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are even harder to get in with in my experience. I was laughed out of the one in Boston essentially. And that was with 3 watches already purchased from AD.
I've had nothing but GREAT interactions with folks at the Boston boutique.

Remember, "boutiques" are nothing more than AD-owned single-brand shops. Unless it's an entirely Rolex-owned boutique. And the Boston one certainly isn't Rolex-owned; it's owned by Long's Jewelers.

The simple truth is that having purchased watches from other AD's doesn't mean anything with respect to your standing with a different AD. As least not with Rolex, as far as I've ever been able to tell.

So yeah if you go into the Boston boutique with, "I've purchased 3 Rolexes from Tourneau, what can you do for me to get a SS Daytona," you're not going to get anywhere. They will take care of Long's customers first, as expected.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 05:22 AM   #41
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Yeah, that sucks, OP. I went through the same feeling when Wempe lost their AD status last year where I live. I hadn't spent much but I had the feeling they'd be able to sell me another watch I wanted at some point. I was able to build some rapport with one of the friendly SAs. I never knew why such a large global retailer lost Rolex' favour in certain countries.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:13 AM   #42
train-time
"TRF" Member

My AD lost Rolex :(

Quote:
Is there anything more demoralizing than losing a relationship with a dealer that you forged?
This happens all the time. Several years back we had 8 AD's within a 30-45 minute drive. Many of them had been Rolex AD for decades and helped to establish the Brand. Most were located in the suburbs or small cities or towns.

How does Rolex reward them..... pulls all the franchises except two and they are both in big city markets and are the only 2 in the State. One is located adjacent to a major World city where the average home cost is in the millions so getting anything from them is unlikely. The other sells new Rolex models at current market prices so if you are willing to pay, you can play. I chose to get out of the game.... all driven by Rolex's actions in our market.

As one other member said, "game over."
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:27 PM   #43
Kappy94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
It was only a relationship in your mind
I had been given the chance to buy multiple SS models from there so I don't think it was in my mind.
Kappy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:29 PM   #44
Kappy94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I've had nothing but GREAT interactions with folks at the Boston boutique.

Remember, "boutiques" are nothing more than AD-owned single-brand shops. Unless it's an entirely Rolex-owned boutique. And the Boston one certainly isn't Rolex-owned; it's owned by Long's Jewelers.

The simple truth is that having purchased watches from other AD's doesn't mean anything with respect to your standing with a different AD. As least not with Rolex, as far as I've ever been able to tell.

So yeah if you go into the Boston boutique with, "I've purchased 3 Rolexes from Tourneau, what can you do for me to get a SS Daytona," you're not going to get anywhere. They will take care of Long's customers first, as expected.
I wasn't asking about a Daytona..... I was asking about a simple no date/date sub. They wouldn't even take my information. From experience--that's not even a hard watch to acquire. I've been offered them multiple times over the last few years.
Old 28 July 2023, 04:30 PM   #45
Kappy94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Are we talking about watch game problems or real life problems here? Because if we are talking about real life, I'm sure there are a few things worse than your bloody AD moving on...

Get a grip of yourself man!
It's a watch forum...........
Old 28 July 2023, 04:33 PM   #46
Kappy94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is really terrible considering Rolex prices. Even worse, think of those Patek folks spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to work their way up to whatever grail they want and then it's all gone in a flash when their AD loses status. It is kind of scary when you think about it. Your purchase history should travel in my opinion. Just how that would work, I would need more thinking on it. With independent ADs it's probably not happening.
I think Rolex should operate similarly to how Omega does with company boutiques. You'd have a relationship with the brand directly vs. car dealerships who don't know anything about what they sell. I don't think independent jewelers should carry anything difficult to get from any brand.
Old 28 July 2023, 04:39 PM   #47
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
this happens to everyone. you'll be ok

it's just rolex. at least you didn't lose your Patek AD
Old 28 July 2023, 06:29 PM   #48
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
It's a watch forum...........

Is there anything more demoralising was your question…

Sorry, I normally like to call out such hyperbolic statements.

Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:38 PM   #49
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
that's why building the faux 'relationship' is not worth it. It is not real, neither the ad nor rolex owes you a thing. Buy from the ad if possible else buy from a grey. Life is too short.
+1,000,000
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:20 PM   #50
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes. Losing a loved one, a friend, a good job, your health.

Retailers and franchises come and go. You can only "build a relationship" for as long as there is someone to build it with. When it's gone, it's gone. Forget about it. Move on.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 11:55 PM   #51
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Local large store with many separated branded boutiques lost the Patek this year. Seems like you either perform or you’re out. Or you lose the AD status because of selling watches that end up in gray dealer inventory.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 12:27 AM   #52
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
this happens to everyone. you'll be ok

it's just rolex. at least you didn't lose your Patek AD
This.

My AD lost Rolex a few years back before I ever bought one but they got me a 5711 and continue to have Patek.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 01:04 AM   #53
Afterglow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain FF
Slightly off topic but years ago there was a family owned AD in downtown West Palm Beach, FL. Great people. I forget the name of the store. Authorized Rolex dealers since 1935. Yep... 1935. Hans Wilsdorf was alive and would be for another 30 years.

Rolex pulled their AD status. People seem to not understand or care just how ruthless a company Rolex is. They of course advertise their charitable endeavors but they are also proven destroyers of small business owners despite years of loyality. Merciless. Some deserved, many not. This fact may not sit well here but it is indeed fact.
Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 01:10 AM   #54
Normunds
"TRF" Member

I never understand why people spent their hard earned cash to "build relationship" by buying unnecessary jewellery and watches. Why spend IDK 50k to "move up the ladder" and buy sub for RRP if you can buy shiny brand new sub for 2-5k more than RRP from grey dealer and spend 45k on things you really want.
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 01:13 AM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
All this AD relationship stuff only lives in internet land as all ADs are in business for one thing only, thats to sell as many of the products they sell to anyone with the cash to pay. But many today think that a AD is doing you a favour by selling you one of there products they sell in there retail store.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:23 AM   #56
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subshark1861 View Post
I thought you meant the AD had actually lost your watch.

Me too lol

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:13 AM   #57
Iyellalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sprite GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
Slightly off topic but years ago there was a family owned AD in downtown West Palm Beach, FL. Great people. I forget the name of the store. Authorized Rolex dealers since 1935. Yep... 1935. Hans Wilsdorf was alive and would be for another 30 years.

Rolex pulled their AD status. People seem to not understand or care just how ruthless a company Rolex is. They of course advertise their charitable endeavors but they are also proven destroyers of small business owners despite years of loyality. Merciless. Some deserved, many not. This fact may not sit well here but it is indeed fact.
How do we know that the AD had SA selling to grey? Rolex can pull a AD status if too many serial numbers end up at grey dealer. It happened to the one in Dallas DeBolle.
Iyellalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:25 AM   #58
tpool
"TRF" Member

Feel your pain. I’ve lost 2 ADs in the last 5 yrs.

tpool is offline   Reply With Quote