The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2012, 02:33 AM   #31
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

I ended up with the steel 44 and couldn't be more happy.

When I decided I wanted to get a new 44 I was torn between the steel and the carbon. When they were released I was immediately drawn to the steel version in the pics. I then became mildly obbessed with getting the forged carbon for the coolness/wow factor. I had my sights firmly set on the fc for a few months

When I decided to get serious about the purchase, I jumped on a plane and went down the Vegas as there are no AP dealers where I live. I had the made the mistake of buying a high $ watch before site unseen and this time I was not going buy w/out trying it on first. I am glad I did. Vegas has several AP dealers and the first one I went to, they had the FC in the case. I tried it on and really liked it. I was excited and loved the watch. I then went to the next AP dealer(3 of 4 vegas AD's are owned by same guy) and they too had a FC and I tried again. The next morning I went to another AD and they had both the steel and the carbon in the case. I spent an hour trying both on and comparing the two. Both are outstanding watches and each have their own unique look and feel.

I slept on it and the next morning went thinking unsure about buying the FC but as soon as I strapped the steel to my wrist, I got that immediate "Wow, this it" feeling. You know the one? The one that puts a big smile on our face? I wanted to buy the FC b/c of the coolness factor of the materials. And truth be told, if I could afford both, I would probably own both. At the end of the day I went with steel and I love it. No regrets. It just looks better on me than the other one, which is all that really matters. Now, I didn't end up buying in Vegas b/c their willingness to budge even a couple % was non-existent. So, I came home and called one of my contacts and had the deal done in a day. Of course, then the Vegas guy started calling me saying maybe we can do something for you. LOL!

Don't listen to us, listen to you and you will end up with the right watch for you

The steel POP's big time for me. All of the contrasts and perfectly executed details make it all come together for me. The dial and subdials contrast with the bezel/strap. The bezel contrasts with the case etc. The bezel takes on different shades depending on the light. It can be all black, sometimes grey, and a combo of both with varying shades. I can get lost looking at the dial on the steel. Is it silver or white? depending on the light, it can be either.

Another posted mentioned weight. I don't notice the weight at all. Never been an issue. The watch sits perfectly on my 7 3/4 wrist. The chrono pushers will no more push into your skin than the ones on the FC case. Why? because they are elevated above your skin due to the case back. No worries.

Good luck and I am sure you will make the right choice for you. For me, it is/was steel all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0185.jpg (70.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1096.jpg (97.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1083.jpg (77.9 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by jonnyz1245; 13 June 2012 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: more pics
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote