The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 November 2020, 01:42 AM   #31
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
As with all independently owned stores, some are good and some are bad.
My AD and SA goes out of their way to make me feel part of the family.
On a regular basis I will get texts of SS pieces to check my interest. No lists, no bundle extortion, just a good relationship. As an FYI, I am not a whale with a big purchase history. Some ADs are just good people.
Bingo. I've avoided Tourneaus, Wathes of Switzerland, and other "Big Box" jewelery/watch stores for this reason.

Find a medium sized family owned shop that maybe has 3 or 4 locations so that they're big enough to get ample supply of "the good stuff" but still small enough to legitimately build quality relationships with their clients.

This is the best route for collectors who are doing well but not yet on multi-millionaire status.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:50 AM   #32
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood&Leather View Post
The bolded almost sounds made up like it shouldn't be real but i guess perhaps it is. Just out of curiosity what pieces were you trying to get???

Not all ADs are created equal. That's for certain. I've been to some "jeweler" ADs where the highest end brand they carry is Rolex with Tudor as support and you may as well be stopping in subway for a $5 foot long. Nothing luxurious about the buying experience or treatment.

On the otherhand I've been to other boutiques where they carry Pateks as well and offer proper white-glove treatment and don't create such ridiculous policies.
Well, I tell it is real and what I was told. I went to go on the waiting-list for the GMT-Master II Root Beer.

At the dealer, they had a Blue Two-Tone Sub and also an Explorer II. Both could only be purchased with other Rolex watches. I told them I would like to buy the Explorer II, as I liked it after trying it. Was not allowed to buy it alone LOL!
Old 23 November 2020, 02:13 AM   #33
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

I am amazed that Rolex, lets their Official Dealers do stuff like this.

Just change ADs.

There have been mami incomings for the new submariner for example, some with no purchase history.

But yeah, that is very unfair.
Old 23 November 2020, 02:20 AM   #34
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
As with all independently owned stores, some are good and some are bad.
My AD and SA goes out of their way to make me feel part of the family.
On a regular basis I will get texts of SS pieces to check my interest. No lists, no bundle extortion, just a good relationship. As an FYI, I am not a whale with a big purchase history. Some ADs are just good people.
Agree. Also, demand for Rolex and concentration of rich people is not even across the globe. $30K might not be enough to put you on the AD's waiting list in one part of the world, while in other areas you might not have to spend anything over MSRP and just be nice and patient to get the watch you want.
Old 23 November 2020, 03:08 AM   #35
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

What's their return policy? Could you buy both together and then return the unpopular model? ("After trying it for a couple days, this unpopular model doesn't feel in harmony with my guest bathroom cabinet hardware, so regrettably, I can't keep it.") In general that would be uncool, but if they want to treat you -- especially with your spend there -- in such a manner, there's nothing wrong with following the letter of the law and their store policies.
Old 23 November 2020, 03:29 AM   #36
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
What's their return policy? Could you buy both together and then return the unpopular model? ("After trying it for a couple days, this unpopular model doesn't feel in harmony with my guest bathroom cabinet hardware, so regrettably, I can't keep it.") In general that would be uncool, but if they want to treat you -- especially with your spend there -- in such a manner, there's nothing wrong with following the letter of the law and their store policies.

I'm curious to know how they prevent this as well. I'm guessing when they remove plastics and you take it home, it's similar to a new car that gets driven off the lot?
Old 23 November 2020, 03:44 AM   #37
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
Most likely they make it non-returnable and non-refundable. If they accept it back, I wouldn't be surprised if they issue store credit, which you can spend only on expensive jewelry.
Old 23 November 2020, 03:55 AM   #38
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Well, I tell it is real and what I was told. I went to go on the waiting-list for the GMT-Master II Root Beer.

At the dealer, they had a Blue Two-Tone Sub and also an Explorer II. Both could only be purchased with other Rolex watches. I told them I would like to buy the Explorer II, as I liked it after trying it. Was not allowed to buy it alone LOL!
Now that's really crazy! I can see an allocated piece having strings attached but never heard of watches sitting in the case and letting you try them on and say no you can't buy it unless you buy something else WE want you to buy! Good grief!

As others have said find a smaller family run AD. I have many ADs and Boutiques within 20 minutes of me. I go an extra 20 minutes to my family run store where I meet the lovely owner(s) almost every time and they treat my wife and I like royalty and we're certainly by no means their top clients. But none the less they treat us great and we buy what we want with no pressure to buy anything we don't want. And so far they have been good to me with the sport watches, no complaints. Compared to the situation you have at your AD I feel blessed! So yes smaller family ADs make a difference.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:07 AM   #39
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

just different ways to sell you junk

in the UK: you buy crap models / jewelry first before AD sell you a hot piece
in the Fareast: the above or bundle a hot piece with crap models / jewelry at the AD when purchasing or pay retail plus cash as premium

an old saying goes: all crows are the same color in black, there are no real differences in these dodgy sales tactics either. play ball or buy elsewhere, that's the harsh reality.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:15 AM   #40
Podmornica
Banned

Dang, hearing all these stories make me think the $20,000 for a BLRO is dirty cheap!
Old 23 November 2020, 04:29 AM   #41
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Such a common thread these days. Unfortunately my feelings are that smaller AD's will continue to disappear. Rolex doesn't want the expense and responsibility of having their own stores. The AD assumes all the risk and expense of operating their store. The AD can't afford to sit on inventory. They sell to clients who buy multiple pieces. These clients will sell at a loss to secondary market dealers whatever watches they don't want. Some clients will sell the desirable watches at a profit to secondary market dealers. The secondary market dealers are dealing with holding this inventory. Now your fear of missing out, which is created by social media and you tube etc, makes you want to pay unreasonable prices for all types of luxury goods. If you want Rolex, in Today's market, it's up to you whether you play with the AD or the secondary market dealers.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:29 AM   #42
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
I like OPs AD. Mine won't even let me bundle anymore. I'd rather have access to buying something transparently, than not be able to buy it at all. /unpopularopinion
Old 23 November 2020, 04:38 AM   #43
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
I like OPs AD. Mine won't even let me bundle anymore. I'd rather have access to buying something transparently, than not be able to buy it at all. /unpopularopinion

Mykii is correct. Next new problem on the forum. " AD won't let me bundle any more."
Old 23 November 2020, 04:46 AM   #44
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
See, this is why I only deal with a single AD in my metro area. Because they were honest with me, treated me like a human being, and were reasonable in their ability to get me watches (I waited 2 months for a BB58, 2 months for a Root Beer, 1 month for a Bluesy, 2 months for a Sub Date). Have they been able to get me everything I've asked for? Nope. But they've done their best to be reasonable and keep me happy.

Also they're down to earth and honest and never told me, like at other ADs, to put down a deposit or buy something else in order to get what I wanted. They just said, "It might be a while." And that's the truth.

Find an AD that respects you, don't jump through hoops. You're the customer. They shouldn't be asking you to jump and you shouldn't be asking how high.
Black Bay 58 Black
Speedmaster Professional
Old 23 November 2020, 04:47 AM   #45
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:

This is not what Rolex has become, this is what that AD has become. Find another dealer.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:57 AM   #46
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Perhaps Rolex should discontinue these unpopular models and focus their energy on making stuff that people actually want...
Old 23 November 2020, 05:03 AM   #47
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
A good AD will appreciate your past business and encourage you to continue to be their valued customer. Seems like this AD is not one of those.

Now sometimes there are more ‘valued’ customers ahead of you and you just have to wait your turn. In my case it took a couple of years but finally happened yesterday.

I buy a Rolex here and there, and definitely can’t compete with a repeat customer who is buying a PM piece and other jewelry every few months. I would understand if that customer had an advantage over me.

In grand scheme of things, these are good (no, let me rephrase: VERY GOOD) problems to be having.... being in a position to be ready to purchase luxury items and problem being not able to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 November 2020, 05:06 AM   #48
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
This situation is VERY frustrating, and I would give this AD the one handed clap (waving Ba-Bye)! There is an incredibly high demand for certain Rolex watches, in the current market. Unfortunately, some ADs are trying to take advantage of this market and force clients to purchase less desirable pieces. This is a poor business practice for the AD, not for Rolex.

I love my watches, and feel blessed to have a great AD. But, if they tried to force me to purchase anything other than what I wanted to buy, then I would never darken their door again!

If you had a poor experience at a car dealership, does that reflect negatively on the brand? Or do you just find a dealership that treats you with respect?

Don’t give up on Rolex, just find another AD.
Old 23 November 2020, 06:11 AM   #49
just1time
"TRF" Member

$30,000 USD and you can't get on a waitlist for a regular Sub? WOW.
They really do not value you as a customer.....AT ALL.
At very least, they could have just said ok as opposed to make you feel like $30000 is small money.
Go to another AD. Am sure you can get the Subs with no history at all.
Old 23 November 2020, 06:39 AM   #50
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I'd think most ADs would just quietly keep their goodies in the safe for their customers. Carrot dangling and setting $ goals is cruel and just upsets buyers. I've seen ADs deliver stainless pieces at a discreet desk in a cordoned off area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 07:41 AM   #51
SaintMickey
Banned

Buying a Rolex is a privilege much like our driving license.
Old 23 November 2020, 07:47 AM   #52
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Sorry to hear. This experience is appalling. I suggest you establish relationships at other ADs. Remember this is 100% on the AD. Even if it was practically hard to get, the cold communication is appalling enough that Rolex might take action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 07:50 AM   #53
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes folks, this is not a surprise. This is why there are gray dealers, and the whole supply issue is just a hoax. Pinched supply and AD games create the illusion of scarcity and then of course people buy into that narrative and it spreads like wild fire and then you have 10k premiums being put on watches that are abundant. It’s laughable.
Very. Well done OP for not being suckered in. Out of interest which watches were you after, and what doggy models were they trying to unload? A TT DJ and Pepsi at retail isn't all that bad for example. Still bad of course.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 23 November 2020, 07:53 AM   #54
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO
"TRF" Member

I see OP that you're in Thailand. In the U.S., what you're describing is called Tying and is ILLEGAL. Seller cannot blatantly say that.
Old 23 November 2020, 07:54 AM   #55
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I would have gave an about face and hit the door without a reply.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 08:07 AM   #56
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
This is why I have recently bought Breitling, Omega and am looking at Panerai and AP. If they call with something I want, fine, but will never pay over MSRP in grey market or be told I need to buy something I don't want in order to get what I do.
In defense of my AD, they have never pulled this stunt. I've just been playing the waiting game like everyone else.
Old 23 November 2020, 08:28 AM   #57
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Dang, hearing all these stories make me think the $20,000 for a BLRO is dirty cheap!
It is honestly. It's been slowly increasing in $ all year and I expect it will continue to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Mykii is correct. Next new problem on the forum. " AD won't let me bundle any more."
Old 23 November 2020, 08:32 AM   #58
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post
I see OP that you're in Thailand. In the U.S., what you're describing is called Tying and is ILLEGAL. Seller cannot blatantly say that.
Is this actually true? In America a seller cannot determine the conditions of sale to a buyer? And if they try to they are breaking the law and will be arrested and tried?
Amazed if so.
Old 23 November 2020, 09:34 AM   #59
Max 66
Banned

If you think that to get a GMT Root Beer from a Grey Dealer you have to pay approx 30% more than its price list, isn't it better to spend such amount of money in a Rolex AD to get the GMT Root Beer and also an Oyster Perpetual?
Old 23 November 2020, 09:40 AM   #60
mactruck
"TRF" Member

My AD treats me like crap and I've spent over $150K at his store soooooo.
Closed Thread