The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2024, 08:25 AM   #1
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Pretty simple to me. Just go grey and pay up the "market" price. Ridiculous to spend untold $$$ on stuff you don't want.
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 10:14 AM   #2
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Hah I must be beaten down too much, that doesn't seem too bad a request to be honest compared to many dealers ive visited. I'd say prob better to get it Grey if that's what you really want. If not, I say there are so many different awesome watches in that price bracket. I had a different pretty popular dealer straight up tell me 100k in jewelry for aquanaut, 150k for nautilus.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 09:01 PM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Go grey dealer especially if it's a 5167a you are after. You will spend a lot less than buying jewelry and watches you don't want to keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecolon9696 View Post
AD just called again saying that if I buy a ladies piece I could be rewarded (No guarantee!) with an opportunity to purchase the Aquanaut. 😆 Jesus, these people are Savages!
See quote above
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 02:43 AM   #4
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Stories like this make me hesitate to switch my "journey" to an AD. Even without bad faith, too many things can happen. The AD relationship could be withdrawn just when you are close to the front of the imaginary queue. A SA might quit or rotate (which can be a positive thing if he transfers to a store where he can allocate something to someone willing to buy a complication).
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 03:13 AM   #5
unotaz
"TRF" Member

While there are lots of horror stories and bad AD experiences, there are still good ADs out there. I am the perfect example.

March 2020: First purchase from my AD, a platinum Daytona (my first Rolex ever)
May 2020: First Patek, an Aquanaut 5167R
September 2020: First Nautilus, 5712A
4 years goes by, 32 Rolex (all sports models), 20 Patek (Aquanuats, Nautilus and Grand Comps only), a trip to Geneva to visit PP6 (all expenses paid by AD), and zero jewelry/other watch brands spend. A very happy customer
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 03:21 AM   #6
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

To be fair some of the amazing stories I've heard start from early 2020. Might not translate to people today!
Old 18 May 2024, 03:29 AM   #7
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Current market value has now shifted back to early 2020 levels. I would say it's about the same now as pre-covid days.

Good ADs are still out there. Are you a reputable local guy? Do you have a long history with other brands or stores? All of these factors comes into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
To be fair some of the amazing stories I've heard start from early 2020. Might not translate to people today!
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 03:51 AM   #8
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Seriously guys what will you do if you get 2 watches a year of a model and 1000 people who wants to buy it? It’s not easy being a AD sometimes. Sad but true.
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:39 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Seriously guys what will you do if you get 2 watches a year of a model and 1000 people who wants to buy it? It’s not easy being a AD sometimes. Sad but true.

Whatever don’t be an AD then. It’s also not easy being a customer service sales rep at Microsoft. I just bought a new car and the BS I had to go thru reminds me of all the AD non-sense. It’s just sales and if you want to make a buck as a dealer you gotta deal with disgruntled and demanding customers. Guess who is buying 30-500k trinkets that no one needs- that’s right mainly people that made a bunch of money and that are demanding !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 05:13 AM   #10
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Whatever don’t be an AD then. It’s also not easy being a customer service sales rep at Microsoft. I just bought a new car and the BS I had to go thru reminds me of all the AD non-sense. It’s just sales and if you want to make a buck as a dealer you gotta deal with disgruntled and demanding customers. Guess who is buying 30-500k trinkets that no one needs- that’s right mainly people that made a bunch of money and that are demanding !!!

You didn’t answer the question? lol
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 10:47 AM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
You didn’t answer the question? lol

lol I just wanted to rant a little on a Sunday

Old 20 May 2024, 01:09 PM   #12
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
lol I just wanted to rant a little on a Sunday

it was a good rant, been there and sometimes it just needs to be said
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 03:53 AM   #13
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

True, of course, which is why I want to gauge whether one should just concede one is not going to buy a new Patek every 2-3 months and not even bother getting in the AD queue.
Old 18 May 2024, 11:10 AM   #14
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Could I ask if it was the attorney that made the difference and a written demand from an attorney made them cut their losses and disengage from someone who would actually start something in court regardless of the merits?

Did you have anything in writing about the bait and switch to wave in front of them while negotiating this?

Respect for actually bringing in an attorney, though I might not do the same!
Old 18 May 2024, 12:04 PM   #15
abrosz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Could I ask if it was the attorney that made the difference and a written demand from an attorney made them cut their losses and disengage from someone who would actually start something in court regardless of the merits?

Did you have anything in writing about the bait and switch to wave in front of them while negotiating this?

Respect for actually bringing in an attorney, though I might not do the same!
No idea their rationale. I simply told them that I had consulted with my attorney and referred them back to the DM wherein I told them I didn’t want to hear from them if I had to “take a journey of the brand,” and buy things I don’t want for consideration and no guarantee. I cc’ed my attorney on every message to the dealer regarding who I talked to, when, what we discussed. I let them know I had passed all correspondence on to my attorney, especially the one where I refused to do business this way. This dealer’s watch manager called me himself to tell me this wasn’t how they do business after my message. My visit to the store was predicated on the assurance there was no pay-to-play, bait-and-switch games being played. They lied, pure and simple. My attorney didn’t have to a thing. Just seeing him cc’ed on all the correspondence, and having a pissed off customer telling them he was looking forward to dragging them and the brand into court to expose this fraud was enough. This all happened after Shreve in California. I referenced that lawsuit for my attorney and them as well because there were so many similarities. Were it not for that DM I think I would’ve been sunk. Document who you talk to, when, and what you discuss before even setting foot in the store.
abrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 11:19 PM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am certain that they all do. What other business strategy makes any sense whatsoever.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 02:16 AM   #17
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

More respect! I thought you had a close enough relationship that he agreed to be copied and trusted this would not be abused.
Old 20 May 2024, 03:32 AM   #18
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I guess that these watches are getting out there in the wild, as we see many in the uncut boxes the way Patek sends them to ADs. But when I got my Patek the AD had a multistep process where they were entering the information into the computer on Patek's site the same time they were filling out my paperwork. They were very careful.

So are these less honest ADs just entering in stalking horse buyers names?
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 07:21 AM   #19
Crazywis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I guess that these watches are getting out there in the wild, as we see many in the uncut boxes the way Patek sends them to ADs. But when I got my Patek the AD had a multistep process where they were entering the information into the computer on Patek's site the same time they were filling out my paperwork. They were very careful.

So are these less honest ADs just entering in stalking horse buyers names?
I have come across an AD who offered a new reference at retail and was willing to give a substantial discount if bought with someone else's name on the papers. This AD sold both new and pre-owned Patek's and is still an authorized Patek AD

This AD had a large recently dated unadvertised selection of pre-owned Patek's available for sale - both high demand and low demand references that you would inquire about and then out they'd come from the safe. The explanation usually given for why the original buyer let go of them so quickly was along the lines of them simply getting tired of the watch or them wanting a high complication like a MR and the AD wanting to help accelerate the journey towards that goal. You be the judge on who these original buyers were (or weren't)
Crazywis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 08:14 AM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywis View Post
I have come across an AD who offered a new reference at retail and was willing to give a substantial discount if bought with someone else's name on the papers. This AD sold both new and pre-owned Patek's and is still an authorized Patek AD

This AD had a large recently dated unadvertised selection of pre-owned Patek's available for sale - both high demand and low demand references that you would inquire about and then out they'd come from the safe. The explanation usually given for why the original buyer let go of them so quickly was along the lines of them simply getting tired of the watch or them wanting a high complication like a MR and the AD wanting to help accelerate the journey towards that goal. You be the judge on who these original buyers were (or weren't)
i'd report this AD or take advantage of discount if you don't care about name on papers but then might as well go grey.
Old 22 May 2024, 04:46 AM   #21
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, I didn’t read this thread until now because I didn’t understand the title. Very interesting!

I’m glad to be happy with one watch I love. Even though I’m Patek-curious, I’m fine with never navigating all this crap and never owning one. Same story with some Rolex ADs too, of course. Sucks a lot of fun out of this.