The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2014, 05:24 PM   #31
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Yes. No issues as long as it was serviced or pressure tested.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 03:00 AM   #32
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

How do you buy a $10k dive watch and not swim with it?

HEY, look at me? If you trust your beater $100.00 watch you should be able to trust your Omega to go a could feet under water when it is designed to go 100m. I agree with any watch it should be tested but then it is good to go.

I have a Aerospace that has been under water more times then I can think. It also hasn't needed a battery or been tested in 5 years.

I understand big investment but sometimes buying something you can afford or should I say afford to wear comfortably is a better option.
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 04:59 AM   #33
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

I reread my post and and it comes off wrong. I do not mean to be insulting it just sounds odd that someone would not use a product for its intended purpose.

Then again it is yours to do as you see fit. No insult meant.
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 04:22 AM   #34
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbroke View Post
http://archerwatches.wordpress.com

Explore this link and you'll find the results of a foray into the ocean with a Speedy...
N=1
Best,
Jim
One note of extreme importance is that the swimmer said one of the pushers was NOT on the watch. How do you not notice this???

I went snorkeling with the family in Hawaii about 10 years ago and took both my Zenith Daytona and my 25 year old OQ. The Daytona's reset pusher disappeared on the plane over, so it stayed in the hotel safe and I swam with my OQ. No problems.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 11:12 AM   #35
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
I innocently washed the truck one afternoon while wearing my old 3510.....it leaked...a lot! These speedies are tough to keep their non-screw-down seals functional beyond three or four years, so be careful!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 12:02 AM   #36
herbalt
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't worry if I jumped in a pool with the speedy pro, but only if I forgot I still had it on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 03:12 AM   #37
vinte77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 9300
You can't baby your watch forever, it was meant to be worn. If not, you might as well case it up and just use it for an ornament in your house.
vinte77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 10:16 PM   #38
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Dont think I would risk it - the push buttons and crown would worry me a bit!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 12:01 AM   #39
tudorwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparone View Post
Hmmm...this consensus really changes my view of what is one of the most affordable must-have classics. I like watches that can take a beating and keep on ticking, albeit at a chronometer pace. To think that this watch, which surpassed all watches for a moon mission, would be dodgy in more than rain, completely throws me. For me, any watch, needs to be able to go for a swim or else it's too delicate for me.

Perhaps my expectations are too high.
And it can..
tudorwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 02:47 AM   #40
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
I have owned a Speedy Pro for the past six years. In this time, I have also purchased several pieces from Rolex, AP, JLC and IWC. The Speedy Pro and my GMT IIC are the only watches I would never let go. The charm of a manual wind movement, hesalite crystal and matte dial are amazing. This is a very durable watch and the only thing I don't do with it is swim. On days I'm near water, a different watch is in the mix. This is an all time classic and a great value. If Omega guaranteed higher water resistance, there would be no reason to own other watches.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 02:51 AM   #41
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergreenhand View Post
Thinking of this as my next purchase (as soon as we close on our new home later this month)! Wanted to see if people swim with theirs or not. Thanks in advance!
No and I would not do so.

Not a dive watch, no screw down crown, hestalite crystal, multiple pushers . . .

I have several dive watches but even if I did not I would buy a Seiko/Citizen to dive with before I would take my Speedmaster in the water.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 04:01 AM   #42
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will stick to my orange monster for swimming.
Old 4 June 2014, 05:56 PM   #43
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

As someone with a lot of beach around him, I can say that I would not swim with a Speedy. (Hoping to buy one tomorrow.)

But fear of water resistance is only one reason. The other big reason is that it's just asking for a watch tan. And that's a no-no. Come to think of it, it's kind of a miracle that I don't have a watch tan just from wearing a watch every day. I guess it's because of long sleeves almost every day and lots of fluorescent light during the daytime!
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 04:14 AM   #44
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I've had a watch tan since I was 8 or 9 years old.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 08:48 PM   #45
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
I absolutely swam in mine and then got terrified and bought a sub. That said I've heard tell of people swimming in them without consequence. Issue is if you push a pusher when in water. Which you could do accidentally.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 03:40 PM   #46
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
So I went in to my ad to pick up my Pam from the spa and also have my Speedy's bracelet adjusted again. I asked the watchmaker what he thinks about swimming with it and he said for sure I can. Just don't operate the pushers under water, which is obvious. So I think that settles it for me. I do know that I should get it pressure tested in a couple years, of course.
That said, it won't be my watch of choice while swimming per say, but if I ever forget to take it off while on the way to the pool, I know I can just keep it strapped to my wrist.
Old 3 July 2014, 04:20 AM   #47
And
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergreenhand View Post
So I went in to my ad to pick up my Pam from the spa and also have my Speedy's bracelet adjusted again. I asked the watchmaker what he thinks about swimming with it and he said for sure I can. Just don't operate the pushers under water, which is obvious. So I think that settles it for me. I do know that I should get it pressure tested in a couple years, of course.
That said, it won't be my watch of choice while swimming per say, but if I ever forget to take it off while on the way to the pool, I know I can just keep it strapped to my wrist.
Good call.