The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2022, 02:01 AM   #31
Stoffel
Banned

Sounds like a case for Judge Judy….
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:10 AM   #32
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
RSC NY damaged my watch

It’s unfortunate, but these things can happen. I would either take the 30 percent discount and/or the new case and simply move forward.

Fwiw, my view is that the options you are advocating are not reasonable, will not be viewed as reasonable, and will only cause the RSC to lose interest in spending even more time trying to help come to a reasonable outcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:23 AM   #33
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:25 AM   #34
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

That stinks.

I’d just suck it up though and use whatever goodwill you can squeeze out of this to get a white ceramic Daytona without waiting for years, because you ain’t getting $10k and you ain’t getting a like-kind Daytona from anyone involved.

Don’t threaten lawyers. You’ll end up with nothing. And if you hire a lawyer, you’ll probably spend more than your recovery. Your damages, frankly are minimal. How much does a non-polished Daytona of that year go for if it’s polished once versus not? How much does the value diminish because your serial # doesn’t match the out of date warranty card, when you have a legit explanation and proof. $1,500?

I’d work ‘em to sell me a Panda, but that’s just me.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:31 AM   #35
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
I am quite familiar with the lawyers that represent Rolex USA Rolex SA on 5th avenue, INCLUDING TWO SENIOR PARTNERS THERE.

I assure you, that you do not want to mess with them. You do Not want to threaten ROLEX, that means even proposing that as a recourse or option to escalate things if they don't meet your demands. You don't want to do any of that.

Express that you are upset, that you are unhappy, and nicely ask for an alternative option.

About 10 or 15 years ago, someone had a beautiful vintage GMT master, and I believe one of the vice presidents allowed the switch to a new GMT. The old GMT what subject to a very poor polish from RSC. An action like that is extremely uncommon. That's not a trf story.

However, there is a TRF story regarding a Kermit, 16610lv, and Rolex was very generous and made that person whole with a new case and lasering of the serial. You don't seem as likeable. Lol. Just kidding.

There are many other examples, but in the grand scheme of things, these remedies are extremely extremely rare, and most of the time, even if they do make a mistake, the customer is happy with a free service, or discount on a future service, etc, and then just goes away.

They are quite familiar with this timepiece. They know that their actions caused it to lose collectibility or value.

Also, I believe this type of runaround is somewhat planned and calculated. There was a time that you can get to the executive team and then escalate high up to the executive team, but they have changed those rules in the last several years, internally.

Anyway, you are not going to get a new white Daytona 500ln. Edit.... You are not going to get a new one not because they don't sell watches. If they wanted to get you a new one, they would pull a timepiece and allocated to one of the authorized Jewelers that are situated close to your residence, and they would coordinate with the owner/director to hand off to you. They're not going to do that here for you.

If you get a lawyer, you're going to have to go to arbitration in New York. You are likely going to have to travel to New York. You cannot file a lawsuit in Superior Court. You have agreed to venue I believe. You will likely have to pay attorney's fees. I'm not your lawyer and I'm not giving you legal advice by the way. You can consult whoever you want. I'm just going to give you my input.

Now if you go to arbitration, since you sign that you will go to arbitration, what do you think is going to happen when you go to arbitration. Do you think the arbitrator is going to give you $10,000 or a brand new modern rolex? I highly doubt it. But if you want to do that, you will have to first find a lawyer that would even want to take your case, you will be responsible for fees if you lose, and by the way you are going to have to pay the arbitration proceedings fees from the outset.

The absolute most, most, most that you would get from Rolex now would be a mid case from Geneva Switzerland that they would laser for you with matching serial number. That will take months to complete, and you better tread very carefully, and be extremely nice and sincere in order for them to consider this option, which they almost never do. And it's probably too late for that anyway.

Instead, they much prefer giving you a service mid-case, with a service serial number, or another case that's used, without a matching serial. That's probably not an option either because it won't have any patina and the wear will not match the bracelet.

Actually, on third thought, they're not going to give you a brand new MID case and laser it in Geneva with the matching serial number to your card -- because they would then have to give you a brand new bracelet and clasp on top of that, and it's unlikely for them to do that.

And they have probably documented your approach and attitude so they may be less inclined to go above and beyond for you.

And there you go. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and you are in the right.

But, the best advice I can give you is just to have a very kind and respectful attitude. Let them know that you are upset and what this does to you, and how you love the brand, but don't turn against them or threaten them. It's only going to hurt you.

Try your best not to get too upset. You will likely only hurt yourself and hurt your chances of getting a fair and somewhat satisfactory outcome.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Best, most rational advice so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
It’s unfortunate, but these things can happen. I would either take the 30 percent discount and/or the new case and simply move forward.

Fwiw, my view is that the options you are advocating are not reasonable, will not be viewed as reasonable, and will only cause the RSC to lose interest in spending even more time trying to help come to a reasonable outcome here.

Followed by this. Why work extra hard for someone who you feel will walk away just as upset?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:41 AM   #36
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Why didn't you demand a full gold rainbow Daytona? Why settle??
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #37
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

I feel for you, but what happened is done.

They are offering you to polish the bracelet to match….a lovely result…or a brand new mid case…also a lovely result.

I’d ask for the mid case and a bracelet polish, along with documentation that indicates your serial number as well as the replacement’s, and that the new case was exchanged by Rolex RSC. An email would be fine. If possible, keep the polished mid case so you still have the full set.

It’s a reasonable solution. May not ease the pain, but still…

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:47 AM   #38
Goatrope
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Ouch for the OP.

It’s obviously infuriating that instructions were ignored by the RSC. There’s no way to undo what’s been done, but their offer to polish the bracelet seems reasonable.

I’m new to the fine timepiece game, so I’m genuinely curious about the harm in having a non-antique watch polished. Is there some degradation to the case, or is it concern about the process or technician causing further, unseen damage?

Old 16 October 2022, 02:51 AM   #39
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

That sucks

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 02:57 AM   #40
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I’m sorry this happened to you. I’d let them polish the bracelet, and ask them to comp the service price.That is reasonable, given there is no damage to the watch, and assuming they did a nice job on the polishing. As others have said, your proposed remedies are unrealistic. Stuff happens. Move on.

KAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:01 AM   #41
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Maybe have a look over the watch, if it was just a light tickle with the polisher then it'll still be ok?
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:12 AM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Sorry, I don’t have much sympathy. I am sorry that your beloved watch was not handled as you desired, and they ended up polishing it. Of course, it was their mistake, but that’s it, a mistake. As someone has pointed out, they did not DAMAGE it, they (probably) made it look very very nice. Does that diminish the value? I am no expert but probably. $10,000? I doubt it. Raise a stink, which you have already done, accept their offer of compensation, a free service or half-off or whatever, you’re not getting a new Daytona and you’re not getting $10,000. Wear the watch, and in no time at all it will be scratched up again, and you’ll be happy.

Geesh,
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:16 AM   #43
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Why didn't you demand a full gold rainbow Daytona? Why settle??
This
Old 16 October 2022, 03:18 AM   #44
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
$10,000 price difference due to polished case? Hmmmm. Wish that was true as I have the same watch about the same age. In any case too bad they didn’t honor OP request. I would be pleased to get bracelet polished to match the case and no cost for a full service. Lofe is to short for full battle imho.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:21 AM   #45
CanadaDan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Your not getting a new ceramic Panda. Your not getting $10k compensation. Rolex doesnt live or work in that world. What you would and should get is your bracelet polished to match the watch and a free service. That will be the best RSC will ever do. Real world market value or sentimental reasons for not polishing a watch has nothing to do with how Rolex values their watches. If you absolutely need higher service than RSC, you need to use a watchmaker with a Rolex account that will treat your time piece with a personal touch and accommodates requests. Rikki at Timecare is who most of use like to use and recommends.
http://www.timecareinc.com/
100% agree!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CanadaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:22 AM   #46
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Also to consider, I can't see the AD calling you for anyting you are on list for after you created a fuss.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 03:38 AM   #47
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
It sounds like the OP hasn't even seen the polish job so there's a lot of assumptions here that they "ruined the value of the watch."

While not what he wanted, the polish could have been done very well and did not disrupt the lines of the case. Without seeing any before and after photos, it's really difficult to assess the severity of the mistake.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 04:01 AM   #48
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear your situation. I’ve heard of mistakes like this before. I now use an independent to service my watches.

You’ve been given lots of great advice here. Be reasonable and move on with life. It’s just a thing. Staying angry will only hurt yourself and your wellbeing.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 04:09 AM   #49
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
You're so angry that you've not come back since your original post
Old 16 October 2022, 04:13 AM   #50
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
I am quite familiar with the lawyers that represent Rolex USA Rolex SA on 5th avenue, INCLUDING TWO SENIOR PARTNERS THERE.

I assure you, that you do not want to mess with them. You do Not want to threaten ROLEX, that means even proposing that as a recourse or option to escalate things if they don't meet your demands. You don't want to do any of that.

Express that you are upset, that you are unhappy, and nicely ask for an alternative option.

About 10 or 15 years ago, someone had a beautiful vintage GMT master, and I believe one of the vice presidents allowed the switch to a new GMT. The old GMT what subject to a very poor polish from RSC. An action like that is extremely uncommon. That's not a trf story.

However, there is a TRF story regarding a Kermit, 16610lv, and Rolex was very generous and made that person whole with a new case and lasering of the serial. You don't seem as likeable. Lol. Just kidding.

There are many other examples, but in the grand scheme of things, these remedies are extremely extremely rare, and most of the time, even if they do make a mistake, the customer is happy with a free service, or discount on a future service, etc, and then just goes away.

They are quite familiar with this timepiece. They know that their actions caused it to lose collectibility or value.

Also, I believe this type of runaround is somewhat planned and calculated. There was a time that you can get to the executive team and then escalate high up to the executive team, but they have changed those rules in the last several years, internally.

Anyway, you are not going to get a new white Daytona 500ln. Edit.... You are not going to get a new one not because they don't sell watches. If they wanted to get you a new one, they would pull a timepiece and allocated to one of the authorized Jewelers that are situated close to your residence, and they would coordinate with the owner/director to hand off to you. They're not going to do that here for you.

If you get a lawyer, you're going to have to go to arbitration in New York. You are likely going to have to travel to New York. You cannot file a lawsuit in Superior Court. You have agreed to venue I believe. You will likely have to pay attorney's fees. I'm not your lawyer and I'm not giving you legal advice by the way. You can consult whoever you want. I'm just going to give you my input.

Now if you go to arbitration, since you sign that you will go to arbitration, what do you think is going to happen when you go to arbitration. Do you think the arbitrator is going to give you $10,000 or a brand new modern rolex? I highly doubt it. But if you want to do that, you will have to first find a lawyer that would even want to take your case, you will be responsible for fees if you lose, and by the way you are going to have to pay the arbitration proceedings fees from the outset.

The absolute most, most, most that you would get from Rolex now would be a mid case from Geneva Switzerland that they would laser for you with matching serial number. That will take months to complete, and you better tread very carefully, and be extremely nice and sincere in order for them to consider this option, which they almost never do. And it's probably too late for that anyway.

Instead, they much prefer giving you a service mid-case, with a service serial number, or another case that's used, without a matching serial. That's probably not an option either because it won't have any patina and the wear will not match the bracelet.

Actually, on third thought, they're not going to give you a brand new MID case and laser it in Geneva with the matching serial number to your card -- because they would then have to give you a brand new bracelet and clasp on top of that, and it's unlikely for them to do that.

And they have probably documented your approach and attitude so they may be less inclined to go above and beyond for you.

And there you go. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and you are in the right.

But, the best advice I can give you is just to have a very kind and respectful attitude. Let them know that you are upset and what this does to you, and how you love the brand, but don't turn against them or threaten them. It's only going to hurt you.

Try your best not to get too upset. You will likely only hurt yourself and hurt your chances of getting a fair and somewhat satisfactory outcome.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
As I recall that would be Gibney, Anthony, & Flaherty (GAF) who has offices in the Rolex Building on 5th Avenue. I doubt you want to mess with them. Most members will not remember but they came after some TRF members and the TRF many years back for trademark infringement on Rolex's behalf. One member was making branded Polo shirts and Rolex art images and selling them to members and the other guy was making black t-shirts with Submariner (COMEX) graphics silk screened on the t-shirts. My order was in for his second batch of shirts. He received a cease and desist order from GAF just before the second run. They demanded all proceeds and inventory. Needless to say, I never got the t-shirts or a refund. As JacksonRain said, not someone to mess with. They take their job of representing Rolex's interests very seriously.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 04:28 AM   #51
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
RSC NY damaged my watch

They did ruin his watch if it was truly all original, never polished w/original box/papers etc if you ask me which probably knocked a couple grand off the value.

It’s too late now - not for others… using RSC was a mistake for a something like this. It’s not vintage but it’s “classic”. Never send RSC something like this.

I would ask them to send the case out to a independent repair facility like Zimmerman or Laww at their expense. With the correct case repair you should be GTG.

A new Daytona isn’t near as cool as a 05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 04:40 AM   #52
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You must be joking surely.

I think they are serious and don't call him Shirley...

Old 16 October 2022, 04:40 AM   #53
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
RSCNY mishandles the watches they service, in the process the watches are scratched and dinged.

RSCNY then disregards customer requests and polishes the watches to hide their disregard and incompetence.

They have been doing this for a very long time. They do not give a shit about your watch and the personal and emotional attachment you may have with it.

Good luck.
Old 16 October 2022, 04:42 AM   #54
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonStrangler View Post
Just get the bracelet polished to match the case and wear it for another 17 years…

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:04 AM   #55
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You must be joking surely.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:19 AM   #56
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Destroy them!!!!! Pay whatever it takes!!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:29 AM   #57
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
I would be upset as well, so I can empathize with the OP's initial outburst/anger. That being said, once the dust settles I would have the bracelet polished to match and request the entire service be comp'd. Maybe request an in-demand piece from your AD to find out if you're dead to them or not...
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:41 AM   #58
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I would be furious, but that’s also why i don’t send watches to the rsc unless i want them polished. I’m 0/3 with watches sent to Rolex specifically requesting they do not polish. Sold all of them immediately and started over. Rolex does not care what you want, they will do whatever they chose to do.

I wouldn’t imagine they will return the watch with cash. Best case you get a free service. I would grind on your AD to deliver a Daytona to make it right, but that seems like a stretch.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:49 AM   #59
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Judging by the lack of follow-up, I'm thinking the bait is beginning to get stinky. Hope I'm wrong.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:50 AM   #60
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Punitive damages!