The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2014, 12:26 AM   #31
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
I think that a father giving his son his personal watch is of the most special things about watches. It marks a time when the father now trusts the son with something that he worked hard to obtain.

If he deserves it, do it. If not, wait.
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 12:26 AM   #32
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Do you know what goes on at college campuses? Turning 21! No way. Not a great place for a Rolex.
I'd go with the graduation present, no question.
I'd buy him a car before a Rolex.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 12:33 AM   #33
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Only you know your son. It depends on your relation ship to him and also his relation ship to the watch you are planning to give him. If he appreciates it and has been for years (which is how I understand your post) then the 21st birthday is a great moment to give it to him.

But I would brief him on some bottom line considerations wearing such a watch at that age.
When we (me and my friends) were around that age and a little older, I had friends been robbed at beaches at exotic places or their watches stolen while in some late bar in drunken stooper... That would be a shame if that would happen.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 12:34 AM   #34
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerimiahLee View Post
I think that a father giving his son his personal watch is of the most special things about watches. It marks a time when the father now trusts the son with something that he worked hard to obtain.

If he deserves it, do it. If not, wait.
...and that.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 12:35 AM   #35
garymj
"TRF" Member

Family tradition, both my brother and I and sister got Rolex watches on our 21st. and we have all kept the tradition going with our kids...... costs a few bob though.
garymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 12:51 AM   #36
breitlingherst
"TRF" Member

Watch: Richard Mille...
if he's a good kid, works hard, and you know hell appreciate the gift, then give it to him. my parents got me a Cartier Pasha for my 21st birthday. one of my most cherished watches.
breitlingherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 01:15 AM   #37
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
I would wait till graduation ~ a true milestone in my opinion. Good luck...

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 01:30 AM   #38
garymyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub; Ω
When I graduated high school my extremely wealthy aunt asked what I wanted for graduation. I sheepishly told her I wanted a watch. She didn't know what kind to get me so she asked my idiot father - he had just seen an ad in Newsweek for the atomic digital watch. So that's what I got. I never wore the stupid thing. I have bought all my nice watches as gifts to myself, which is kinda lame.

All this is to say: I wish I had sentimental connections to my watches the way your son surely will. I had many friends in college who wore DJ's, Air Kings and Subs and they all appreciated what they had - especially the guy who hid his Submariner (from a female guest, presumably) while blackout drunk and thought he had been robbed before discovering it 5 months later.
Old 5 March 2014, 01:40 AM   #39
Hay Ewe
"TRF" Member

Watch: that squirrel
a) I think if you are asking here you are unsure - and therefore, no dont give it to him yet
b) does he want it becuase its a rolex and he has a rolex or does he want it because he appreciates what it is? I think he wants it because it is a rolex
c) I think some things should be earnt and worked for. I could go and buy an Explorer 2 tomorrow, or a GMT, but I need to earn and save the money to value it and appreciate it. He should work for it.

Maybe get it appraised and work a deal, if her gets 100% at graduation, its his, if he gets 75% he pays you 25% of the value, if he gets 50% he pays you 505 of the value. (which you would probably be a good dad and the money he pays you for it, you put in an investment account and after 5 years or when he buys a house etc, you give it to him - with the interest.
This way, he has some thing to work for

Hay Ewe
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 01:41 AM   #40
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

21 is not too young. Don't overthink it. If he is responsible, there is no reason not to give it to him. Like you said, he is hard working. I assume he is doing well in school, too. I think your Rolex would be a great gift for him.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 01:52 AM   #41
jedinite
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Do what you think is right
Tudor Submariner 76100/Rolex TT Submariner Blue X/Victorinox AirBoss Mach 6/Longines Grande Vitesse/Rolex SeaDweller DeepSea V/ GShock GW-3000B/ Tudor Prince Date 74034/ Rolex ExII 42 WD/ Rolex Submariner 116610 LV/ Tudor Pelagos Blue
jedinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 01:52 AM   #42
psv
2024 Pledge Member

I don't understand the 21 years milestone in general but this is completely your family's call and has more today with the values you want to give to him, personalities involved etc.

I'm confident you and your wife make the right decsions for you.

PS Now if you want to give your old Sub so you can buy yourself a new gold Sub, that is a different matter all together... ;-) DS
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:02 AM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I agree. That's a real achievement. I understand your excitement wanting to give it to him but a birthday is not a achievement. Moving out after college and declaring his financial responsibility is also a major milestone. He will be his own man and would be a great time to present him with the family Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Wait until after college. Definately.
Old 5 March 2014, 02:10 AM   #44
sncarney18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I don't understand the 21 years milestone in general but this is completely your family's call and has more today with the values you want to give to him, personalities involved etc.

I'm confident you and your wife make the right decsions for you.

PS Now if you want to give your old Sub so you can buy yourself a new gold Sub, that is a different matter all together... ;-) DS
I agree. 21 is not a milestone at all. It just means you can purchase alcohol in the USA legally. More the reason not to hand over the Rolex, unless you are itching for an excuse to purchase a new one for yourself.

For the record though on myy 21st, my dad met me in NYC. We had dinner at the famous 21 Club. After the meal I was presented with my own personalized bottle of a 21 year Single Malt.
sncarney18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:20 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Listen to your wife on this one. Graduating from college is a much bigger accomplishment than a 21st birthday. It would reinforce the message that hard work brings rewards both personal and otherwise.
I agree. And what's so big about a 21st really, apart from being allowed to drink or is it buy a drink or look at a drink Stateside
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:26 AM   #46
kaseri
"TRF" Member

I can only offer the following advice, separate your heart from your brain and let your brain make the decision.

I would not give him one. If he gets on on his own he will gain a better appreciation for the hard work associated with such luxuries. Give him your watch (or watches) upon your death. He will then truly appreciate them for more than what is printed on the face.
kaseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:36 AM   #47
deigo7
"TRF" Member

My dad gave me his watch when I graduated from law school at 25 (9 years ago). He had gotten the watch when I was 15 and I began sweating the watch the day he got it. So it was a really big deal for me. Now it is my turn to return the favor and I have begun trying to figure out what watch to give him for his 60th birthday. No matter when you give him the watch it will mean the world to him.
deigo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:44 AM   #48
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
You'll know exactly when the right time is. Enjoy the moment, he's obviously gonna love it.
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:48 AM   #49
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

My vote is graduation, that will be a really proud moment for your son and yourself. My dad gave me his 16710 right off his wrist when I was 17 the day I graduated high school and it is my most cherished possession, I don't think that memory would be as special to me or my father if it was on a birthday. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:51 AM   #50
WatchFeen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610 LV
I got mine from my father once i graduated from college, I could not have imagined a better time to receive it! goodluck
WatchFeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:52 AM   #51
TudorBeast
Banned

Watch: 114060
Don't do it!
Just give it to me.. hehehe
TudorBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 02:53 AM   #52
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I inherited an 18ct vintage Heuer chrono when I was 15 and have treasured it since. 21 is a fair bit older than 15, and, at that stage in life, those few years mean more in terms of change and development than they do when you're fully fledged as an adult, IMO.

I see nothing wrong in giving him a decent watch at 21, but then I don't know him, or you, for that matter!

Will he really appreciate it and care for it? If so, why not?

Graduation is also a good time for it, because in a sense he will have 'earned' it.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 03:14 AM   #53
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Just go for it! A stainless steel model for him to prove that he can manage it, and a TT when he graduates - if he has proven worthy!
NukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:02 AM   #54
904L SS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Anytime is the right time to receive a Rolex as a gift, for me the sooner the better to start the WIS training, if he is a good kid he will understand appreciate what the watch means to both you and him. My kids do. And the joy we get out of enjoying our watches together is priceless....

OMG !! That's a great pic - but when you all go out together that must be some insurance risk!

In many parts of the world you'd need an armed guard (in England UN- armed because we get all twitchy about guns)!

Anyway I digress, great pic ):
904L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:26 AM   #55
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Why not? You know more than anyone if he deserves it and is ready for it. A boy has to grow up some day.
This....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:39 AM   #56
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 Life Is Too Short, however....

Both my sons told me they weren't ready for the Rolex I was giving to them at certain points in their lives. The older son is still not ready to take possession because he travels/moves a lot and has a job that doesn't require a watch (tt Thunderbird), the younger son took possession on his graduation from nursing college last December 2013. Whenever he is wearing the GMTII-3186 Coke he tells me he's wearing the Caddy... lol. He wears it on weekends or when he takes his mother out to brunch, dinner, etc.

My point is determine from your son if he is ready for that kind of responsibility and if he says he is, then give it to him on his 21st. For me and a lot of men turning 21 is a big deal and a milestone imho.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:46 AM   #57
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Listen to your wife on this one. Graduating from college is a much bigger accomplishment than a 21st birthday. It would reinforce the message that hard work brings rewards both personal and otherwise.
Exactly.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:52 AM   #58
swils8610

Do it now. Why wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 04:55 AM   #59
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Tough call, is he "into" watches? Mature enough to understand what's being given to him, understands the costs involved in the future as far as servicing? I first was of the opinion, wait until graduation but would hold judgement until I knew the answers to these questions. I'd still probably wait till graduation though.
+1 how about give him a seiko marinemaster know, and when he lands his first job after college you give him the sub
MaxCargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 05:01 AM   #60
perpetualman88

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
The day I finished my last accounting final I breathed a huge sigh of relief got in my car and headed to the AD to pick up my SubC

I can tell you that my father offered to buy me a Rolex for my birthday but man did it feel better to earn one myself. Its a watch I will never sell and one I will remember driving and picking up for the rest of my life.

I say wait until he graduates and encourage him to earn one it feels a lot better. (this is coming from someone who was given a DD when i was 16 and then earned my SubC when i was 22 and the subC is much more special to me)

Best of luck with your choice
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote