The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2017, 02:19 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Exactly, it is a long term game. I think to build a good relationship with a dealer, you need to at least buy a few watches or jewelry from him/her. I think it all depends on how much you spend with the guy. Watch collection is a hobby for rich people....
there are a lot of people here with far more watches than me. They jump from dealer to dealer or buy grey for discounts and guess what, they are still on a daytona waitlist at an AD.

Its not about how many or how few watches you have IMO, its about focusing the purchases you are going to make to the same AD. Provided you actually have a good AD. There are lots of AD's that are not good to begin with.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:20 AM   #32
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
depends. Usually my Chase BA card if I'm working to the spending threshold to get a travel together ticket. That allows you to get two award tickets for the same amount of miles one ticket usually requires. That effectively doubles your miles.

Comes in handy when you want to fly LHR-LAX in first class
Ah, I missed that you're in the UK.
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:22 AM   #33
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
there are a lot of people here with far more watches than me. They jump from dealer to dealer or buy grey for discounts and guess what, they are still on a daytona waitlist at an AD.

Its not about how many or how few watches you have IMO, its about focusing the purchases you are going to make to the same AD. Provided you actually have a good AD. There are lots of AD's that are not good to begin with.
Agree. Many of the big chain dealers are not so nice. They just want to get your sale for that one watch.

I updated my last post. How about we build a good friendship and when I am ready......
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:48 AM   #34
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I could go either way, but I'm sure my AD purchases led me down the path of getting a Daytona sooner than later. I asked the manager if a Daytona was available and I got an email the next day saying she spoke with the owner and she is getting their company's next Daytona allocation (multiple stores). Should be in by month's end.

On the flip side if for instance you buy 8-9 pieces (at MSRP) or a couple of PM from an AD then the cost difference between that and paying a premium is basically the same. I've been lucky enough not to pay MSRP for now. But I do know there's no discount coming for the Daytona. In general discussions she did say that its been getting harder to get SS pieces in for them as of late.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:51 AM   #35
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I would choose the AD
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:53 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorlawrence View Post
If you had your eye on a watch and a Trusted Seller on here had it fore $1,000 less than an AD; would you (1) Buy from the TS or (2) Buy from the AD?
It would depend on remaining warranty length, condition, complete set, service history . . .

When this becomes solely about the money the enjoyment is lost IMHO.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:56 AM   #37
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
At that price differential, AD all day long.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:23 AM   #38
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I paid bankwire at an AD. led to additional discount.
The price was better than from TS.

First full service included. 7 year warranty. Cleaning included.

I have bought watches from the same AD before and service them regularly there.
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:27 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I used to be of the mind to always hunt for the best deal but building relationships with ADs is increasingly important as supply squeezes down, as is rewarding relationships such as when you have used an AD to try on many watches.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #40
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
No local AD here anymore. Chances are I'll never buy enough or maybe not at all from the few that are within two hours from me. $1000 is $1000.

TS for me
Old 8 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #41
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I agree with what's already been said. There is definitely value in building a relationship with an AD. It may lead to discounts as well as access to hard-to-find pieces.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:45 AM   #42
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
If you had your eye on a watch and a Trusted Seller on here had it fore $1,000 less than an AD; would you (1) Buy from the TS or (2) Buy from the AD?
Are you in the USA? If so you will also save on sales tax in your respective state, so in this case I would go with the TS.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:48 AM   #43
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Local ADs can offer cleaning, bracelet adjustments, go back and bring you the rare model that just came in for another customer for you to view and touch in flesh, keep a local store open for you to go window shop and t y different brands on... etc.

I sure as hell don't want my local ADs getting out of business because all the sales are going to online Trusted sellers.

If the total difference is 'only' a $1000 after all said and done, and my name appears on the warranty card, and it puts a smile on my face every time I pass by that AD and have them clean my watch while I check out other models they have in stock, I would go with AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:49 AM   #44
jscw
"TRF" Member

If $1000 is more than 10% of final price, I would choose trusted seller. Otherwise AD.
jscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 04:23 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

1k savings if my name on papers
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 04:58 AM   #46
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I assume that it's inclusive of taxes, fees, etc. both are new watches, plastics, warranty card dated today, etc.

If it were me, I'd do TS all day long. If it's a gift and I can't get the giftee name on the warranty card, then I'd probably go with the AD.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 05:36 AM   #47
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Think carefully about trying to "establish" a relationship with the AD....usually this takes time and a good amount of $$ spent for an AD to really "care about you." Buying one or 2 stainless watches isn't going to magically make you a VIP. $1k is $1k, if you're not looking to pick up a lot of watches in near future, I'd go with the trusted seller assuming everything is equivalent (open warranty card of ~5 years, everything included).
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 08:40 AM   #48
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The $1,000 is basically 8.2% in regards to the overall cost of the watch (retail)
Quote:
If you are planning to keep the watch for 10+ years, just use a 2% cash back credit card to purchase the watch from an AD and make that price difference 6.2%.

If you are planning to sell the watch within a year or two, then save the $1000 and buy from a re-seller.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:22 AM   #49
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Trusted seller without a doubt.
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:23 AM   #50
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Why would you flush a grand?
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:24 AM   #51
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I just did this exact thing, paid extra 1k to go ad vs grey market

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:50 AM   #52
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
If both are in the same condition. BNIB. then trusted seller.
This
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:54 AM   #53
juniorlawrence
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If you are planning to keep the watch for 10+ years, just use a 2% cash back credit card to purchase the watch from an AD and make that price difference 6.2%.

If you are planning to sell the watch within a year or two, then save the $1000 and buy from a re-seller.
Devil is always in the details, I forgot the details.

AD: New, price is wire price, AD is in another state (my state:area doesn't or didn't offer any discount.) So I doubt I will really "establish" a relationship with them and this purchase could probably be a 1 and done. Maybe 1 for the wife down the road. Fully warranty, my name on card

TS: New, $1,000 savings is wire price, roughly 4 years and about 1/2 left on the warranty, my name on card.

I always worry about Franken watches/parts/aftermarket etc
juniorlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:58 AM   #54
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you and me both.
Most people don't "get" the points/miles advantage of CC and seem to prefer to walk around with stacks of cash. My miles pay out more than any cash discount ever could, by a large margin. Plus its safer.
So, you would rather pay $12,000 to an AD with a credit card than $11,000 cash to a trusted seller?

What kind of miles/points are you accumulating on a $12,000 charge and how are you spending them such that its worth $1,000?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:00 AM   #55
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
depends on the AD. My AD got me a Patek 5712 in 9 days from when i asked for it. IMO relationships are about playing the long game, not short term discount strategies. Most if not all of us here will buy many more watches in the future at some point and to me not playing the waitlist game or paying over retail from a grey dealer is worth it. Im confident i could get a blue sky dweller for example reasonably shortly after requesting, it if and when i am ready to buy.

I totally agree. Especially in this market it will pay dividends to have a good relationship with an AD. I've purchased a Daytona, hulk and BLNR in the last month from an AD and I've saved thousands upon thousands compared to buying from a trusted seller.

Also, keep in mind it doesn't necessarily take spending tons of money to build a relationship. Stop in, talk to them. Chat about watches. Show your passion. Eventually you will have to also show your wallet but you'd be surprised how far the previous attempts to build a relationship goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 September 2017, 10:06 AM   #56
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
For 1k I would most likely go with trusted seller....just think 1k is 1/8 an 8k Rolex. That is how I look at it anyway.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:08 AM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Find a better AD
Old 8 September 2017, 10:10 AM   #58
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
My AD is a huge corporate store in a huge mall. I could go there every month and they wouldn't know me. However, here I have built a relationship with two different trusted sellers. They know me every time I contact them. Their service and their prices leave me wanting nothing, and I don't have to fight traffic, find a parking spot, and pay a huge sales tax. Granted, I don't get a "free" can of Coca-Cola, but I can live with that.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:24 AM   #59
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyKoffee View Post
My AD is a huge corporate store in a huge mall. I could go there every month and they wouldn't know me. However, here I have built a relationship with two different trusted sellers. They know me every time I contact them. Their service and their prices leave me wanting nothing, and I don't have to fight traffic, find a parking spot, and pay a huge sales tax. Granted, I don't get a "free" can of Coca-Cola, but I can live with that.
That complimentary Coke is really laughable, isn't it?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:28 AM   #60
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
That complimentary Coke is really laughable, isn't it?
Haha. It is. At least last time I was in Burberry they fed me these amazing lamb sliders and kept bringing me tasty beverages. I walked away untouched. My friend ended up with a $2000 coat that she returned.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote