The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 January 2022, 10:58 AM   #31
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper07 View Post
In the sort term I want a sub. In the long term 5-10 years, I'm planning OP for my wife, OP 41 for me (for our 5 or 10 year anniversary), a pepsi, Hulk/Cermit, Daytona, full gold sub at age 55 or 60. I just wanted a long term relationship and I'm willing to wait for those highly sought after pieces.
OP
Sorry for your disappointment, I guess the entire AD games they play are new to you looking at when you joined TRF and your low post count. You want a watch for yourself and one for your bride? Well, get in line. Your story is the same as a hundred people who walk thru the AD’s door. I agree with an earlier poster, it was ill advised to buy jewelry you probably did not need or wear to establish a relationship with an AD. I chuckle every time someone on this forum talks about a relationship with their AD. You have learned a lesson, hope you see it. Good luck in the future.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 10:59 AM   #32
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

My AD lost its status 15 years ago (of course right after I bought my first Rolex and wanted more) bought a few grey models. I bit the bullet last year. Tourneau website sells used Rolex and they are an AD. Watch comes fully serviced and looks brand new. I paid2K over retail at the time for my no-date. I passed at one at trail about 2 years prior to that and kicked my self since. But I’m glad I bought the watch even with a premium. I didn’t have to kiss anyone butt or buy thousands of jewelry.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 10:59 AM   #33
DRS Enabled
Banned

Sucks, but with all the jewelry you bought you could've just gone grey lol, especially for a Sub.
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:01 AM   #34
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Well there are instances of getting a Sub with zero buying history but if the other A D’s that are 150 miles away you may be waiting an even longer time then you already have

So here is what I’d do being you may have to buy something you don’t want or other jewelry you don’t want is take that money you’d be wasting

And put it with MSRP from Rolex and walah you have your watch

There’s no shame in going Grey. How much have you already spent at the former A D that burned you??

Add all that up. You might just find that you’ve already spent enough to have your Sub/GMT at Grey prices and without all the B S
I understand exactly what your saying. My wife does enjoy her Jewelry and the staff was nice and he price are decent, so I'm not total pi$$ed just really disappointed. I drive a lot for work, I'll just go out of my way more to talk to AD's.
DBCooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:04 AM   #35
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay89 View Post
My AD lost its status 15 years ago (of course right after I bought my first Rolex and wanted more) bought a few grey models. I bit the bullet last year. Tourneau website sells used Rolex and they are an AD. Watch comes fully serviced and looks brand new. I paid2K over retail at the time for my no-date. I passed at one at trail about 2 years prior to that and kicked my self since. But I’m glad I bought the watch even with a premium. I didn’t have to kiss anyone butt or buy thousands of jewelry.
snap
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:04 AM   #36
stap
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante24 View Post
Don’t want to come to a conclusion here but I wouldn’t spend money at a place with intent to be able to buy a Rolex on my wish list. The market is just too crazy and too many unknowns. There are good ADs out there. Last year I was able to purchase a blnr and chnr without any purchase history from 2 different ADs. Persistence and luck these days if there is no purchase history.
This!! I think the moment you start buying unnecessary jewelry and lower-tier watches you play right into their hands. They have you hooked and they’re going to keep pumping you for cash.

OP, be persistent and be patient. There are good ADs out there. Sorry yours lost their status.
stap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:06 AM   #37
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Enabled View Post
Sucks, but with all the jewelry you bought you could've just gone grey lol
And I’ll add to this

One tell tale sign that an A D gives less than 2 s**** about you are the ones that tell you that you have to buy jewelry and this and that to be considered

Both A D’s that I have a relationship with have never ever not once asked me to buy anything I did not want. Granted I don’t get every smoking hot model either but I call it a push.

I get my fair share and I haven’t wasted one penny on miscellaneous bull**** either. Hopefully you can find an honest A D and spark up a relationship with a even more honest S A and hope for the best. Granted the owner or manager would be best but they can be tough to get to. Took me a while and also coming from a different era to get those connections but anything is possible if you just tell them your story and shoot ‘em straight
Old 7 January 2022, 11:09 AM   #38
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tonas
This problem is not going away anytime soon, one word of advice- Omega!!
TheHulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:09 AM   #39
DRS Enabled
Banned

Honestly if I were you OP. I'd go to the manager and tell him or her how disappointed you are with them, remind them of your past business, and ask them to source you a Sub at MSRP, otherwise they are not getting your business again. It probably won't work, but it's free to try. You can't really do much beyond that.
Old 7 January 2022, 11:10 AM   #40
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
Sorry for your disappointment, I guess the entire AD games they play are new to you looking at when you joined TRF and your low post count. You want a watch for yourself and one for your bride? Well, get in line. Your story is the same as a hundred people who walk thru the AD’s door. I agree with an earlier poster, it was ill advised to buy jewelry you probably did not need or wear to establish a relationship with an AD. I chuckle every time someone on this forum talks about a relationship with their AD. You have learned a lesson, hope you see it. Good luck in the future.
The jewelry I bought was for Christmas and wanted. I would have normally bought online. I decided to pay 5-10% to go local. I know I'm inline with 1000's of other people. But I'm looking to start a life time relationship with an AD. No, I'm not going after $50K pieces. But I do plan on buying 1 every 2 years if I could get them.
Old 7 January 2022, 11:12 AM   #41
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
This too! Honestly I have two sub no dates a 5 and a 6 digit. My seamaster gets more wear and coat a hell of a lot less
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:16 AM   #42
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I lost both of mine in 2021.

Luckily my SA got a parachute into another AD.

Have you former AD owner call or write the nearest AD to you and advocate for you as a devoted Rolex customer.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:22 AM   #43
samuel019

Quote:
The jewelry I bought was for Christmas and wanted. I would have normally bought online. I decided to pay 5-10% to go local. I know I'm inline with 1000's of other people. But I'm looking to start a life time relationship with an AD. No, I'm not going after $50K pieces. But I do plan on buying 1 every 2 years if I could get them.
I feel for you brother but as you stated there are thousands just like you. As a Rolex enthusiast/owner/buyer for over a decade plus this is by FAR the worst time in the history of Rolex to get a Rolex.

I would say if it’s just a Sub you are after, for now I’d just go Grey but a Sub can be a good relationship starter too. So there’s that. Man it just sucks. Plenty of members will tell you to look at other brands but the heart wants what it wants so if you go that route you’ll likely not be satisfied. So more money wasted.

I got my new 126610 within 2 months after it was released in 2020 and very rarely wear it. Maybe 10 times total. If I had a need I’d sell it to you but at Grey prices
Old 7 January 2022, 11:23 AM   #44
DRS Enabled
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
The problem with Omegas is that as soon as the cameras are off even Daniel Craig wears a Rolex
Old 7 January 2022, 11:24 AM   #45
samuel019

Quote:
The problem with Omegas is that as soon as the cameras are off even Daniel Craig wears a Rolex
Old 7 January 2022, 11:31 AM   #46
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:51 AM   #47
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Honestly if I were you OP. I'd go to the manager and tell him or her how disappointed you are with them, remind them of your past business, and ask them to source you a Sub at MSRP, otherwise they are not getting your business again. It probably won't work, but it's free to try. You can't really do much beyond that.
This is actually really good advice OP. It doesn’t hurt to ask and who knows maybe they even have a few pieces stashed away in the safe
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:58 AM   #48
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Omega needs to find better ambassadors for the brand, who do they have right now? A bunch of Hollywood celebrities whose main achievements are to look good in a dress or a suit. Meanwhile, Rolex has the likes of Roger Federer and Tiger Woods, talk about a difference...
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 12:02 PM   #49
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

It’s a bummer when Rolex closes a good AD. Unless this AD was acting in bad faith, then def wish they stayed open with the brand.
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 12:16 PM   #50
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Why not just buy a sub in the gray market?

Probably cost less than starting again with more diamonds….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 12:24 PM   #51
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Why not just buy a sub in the gray market?

Probably cost less than starting again with more diamonds….

I’ve thought about it more then I would like to admit. I’d maybe pay 1-2k over msrp but 4-5k…. That’s a seamaster, that’s a family trip to Disney. I want a Rolex but I don’t want it that bad.
Old 7 January 2022, 12:25 PM   #52
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

I know this isn’t going to be a popular post on a Rolex board, but there are a lot of other great watch brands out there in that price point. Have fun. Look around. Learn. You just may find the watch of your dreams outside of Rolex.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:18 PM   #53
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

F**k em
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:41 PM   #54
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
It’a not that Rolex doesn’t care about you, but they didn’t need that AD. It’s business. They aren’t a charity or are they?

I’d be pissed at the AD if I were you. THEY are the ones who never got you a watch. THEY are the ones who let you spend the coin a few weeks ago knowing good and well they were losing they’re status…. Sooooooo…….

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:49 PM   #55
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Need advice!? My local AD had it's AD status pulled by Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Anecdotal evidence is the RolexUSA contract with its dealers is written heavily in their favor, basically they can revoke without cause at any time.
Without cause at any time? That’s as unconscionable as contracts go.

Can Rolex USA really do that?

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:00 PM   #56
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In the sort term I want a sub. In the long term 5-10 years, I'm planning OP for my wife, OP 41 for me (for our 5 or 10 year anniversary), a pepsi, Hulk/Cermit, Daytona, full gold sub at age 55 or 60. I just wanted a long term relationship and I'm willing to wait for those highly sought after pieces.
Don't do this to yourself! Life's too short. The dealer landscape can and will change just as quickly in the future as it did to you in the recent past. How will you feel if you spend time cultivating a relationship with a new AD, you end up getting maybe 1-2 watches from them, and then the same thing happens? Go preowned or from a grey/trusted seller. Once the watch is on your wrist, where you got it from and the price you paid for it will become increasingly less important (if you truly love the watch). Good luck!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:05 PM   #57
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Why sour on the brand because of the behavior of one AD? What does Rolex owe you because you are a ‘hard working Joe’? How did you come to the conclusion that Rolex only wants to sell out back doors and to the super rich when you have primarily dealt with only one AD? You do realize that Rolex is a manufacturer don’t you and ultimately it’s the ADs who decide who buys the watches. First Rolex stood for pride and success and now it stands for just greed? And you reached this conclusion because your dealer lost their authorized status? You are blaming the brand for the behavior of one of its ADs when the brand itself made the judgment that this AD was not their best representative. I mean I feel your disappointment but this scorched-earth style of lashing out is misplaced. And threats to give up on the brand don’t affect Rolex, a corporation doesn’t care how you feel or that you only want 1-4 watches. You got burned by some local guys at an AD that you invested in and that’s not right but that’s a reflection on those people and not on the brand.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:06 PM   #58
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
If you're only looking to buy one watch, I don't know why you would go through the whole dance of spending money with them when you could just spend that money at the gray market and get your watch immediately.
This.

I never understood spending more money inorder to get watches cheaper.

cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:18 PM   #59
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
There is no great answer do your dilemma. If you aren't willing to go secondary, you're stuck investing a lot of time (and potentially money) with ADs and that may or may not wind up how you want.

ADs frequently prioritize the sales of these for situations where they maximize their return. Whereas secondary dealers simply charge market price outright, ADs that are limited to selling the watch itself for MSRP often look for sales on other items before and/or with sale of the Rolex (which is understandable.)

It's just a tough market at the moment. In a few years, it might improve (or it might get worse...no one knows.)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 04:26 PM   #60
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Somehow I get the mental imagery of the Omega CEO reading this while shamefully trying to hide the submariner he's wearing