The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2019, 10:29 AM   #31
Brew
"TRF" Member

Welcome. Sorry it wasn't the experience you were hoping for, and I hope you find your watch without too much drama.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:37 AM   #32
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Rolex in many way is a status symbol, and many of not the majority of the consumers are buying Rolex for such status so...as a young guy you may want to look like you can afford the watch at the AD where there's a very good chance the book is being judge by its cover. Rolex is a material thing so there's might be no deep feeling here, that's the way it is.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:49 AM   #33
MinMay
Banned

I think you're thinking too much into it...

The fact that Rolex AD doesn't have anything to sell you. It's not about how you dress or look. Do you think Rolex employee will ignore Facebook Zuckerberg when he walks in with his jean and t-shirt? :) . In the Bay Area, everyone is a multi-millionaire :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:54 AM   #34
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I wear short, tank top from workout clothes and slippah (Hawaii slang for flip flop) to buy all my watches, Porsche’s, houses. Everyone can judge me if they like and I don’t care, in the end I want to buy the right items with the right price. That’s all matter to me now.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:59 AM   #35
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
I wear short, tank top from workout clothes and slippah (Hawaii slang for flip flop) to buy all my watches, Porsche’s, houses. Everyone can judge me if they like and I don’t care, in the end I want to buy the right items with the right price. That’s all matter to me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:19 AM   #36
WV2019
"TRF" Member

We can all try wearing different costumes to an AD and see how it changes things. I can try to find a top hat, cane and monocle to test that theory.

WV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:19 AM   #37
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

I purchases my most recent Sky-Dweller in a hoodie and boy did that turn heads. I’m a young guy as well!

Who cares what others think! They have the watch or they dont!

Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:50 AM   #38
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I wear jeans and t’s all the time. I don’t think it’s about the way you look but more with what they have.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:11 PM   #39
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Buying a Day Date will get you a Submariner date.

So it’s interesting. I always see people posting this - and it makes sense I suppose - but do we have evidence that this is the case? Not trying to be a jerk at all... I’m just wondering if there are members here who have successfully done this.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:18 PM   #40
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV2019 View Post
We can all try wearing different costumes to an AD and see how it changes things. I can try to find a top hat, cane and monocle to test that theory.

Please post pics!

To the OP, I am rarely dressed nice when I visit my AD as I’ve either just come from work, the gym, or a bike ride (I do feel a tad guilty sweating all over the place). But I’ve spent years and $$ developing a relationship, so they know me and I know them (manager, my main SA, and most of the people in the store who’ve never sold me anything). This began before the current “situation” so was all genuine, and now happens to be paying dividends. For better or worse, in these strange times, “relationship” matters and if you don’t have one, your choices are typically limited to fast-tracking one or going gray/TS for SS Rolex prof / PP /AP / etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 01:52 PM   #41
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Haha, what you describe is what just about how everyone dresses in Silicon Valley. Sometimes I take it up a notch and put on a hoodie. You can't spit without hitting a multi millionaire. The ADs treat us the same way.

Sales people don't mind being assholes when you need them. When they need you, they will pretend to be your friend.

They were probably pissed because you were young. You will want a model they don't have. Come in with a more seasoned gentleman ready to buy a Presidential, DJ, or anything fluted and they will be happier. I kid, I kid. I am now one of these seasoned gentlemen that I am speaking of. :)
With the big bucks flowing in Silicon Valley, a few of you guys should get together and buy out the AD just so you can fire the salespeople who blew you off.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 02:20 PM   #42
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Buy a Veyron and park it in front of the AD's. I guarantee you'll get better service.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 04:01 PM   #43
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Maybe the attitude that is bothering us as well as the OP will not bite Rolex in the butt, but I am not enough of a Rolex fanboy to take that attitude. I think it certainly will hurt them. When I don't know, but most things don't stay in extreme demand a long time. Rolex has been better at that than most, but frankly I don't think their inability to produce the proper mix of watches to meet 90% of demand is because they are "smart." I am afraid it is because they are dumb.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 08:23 PM   #44
bluered
Banned

When I go into an AD they jump up and ask how can I help and what brings you in today ?Maybe because I was on duty and wearing an uniform and carrying a gun !! lol
bluered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:07 PM   #45
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srichard View Post
Hi, I am a long time reader of the forum and I want to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your precious knowledge about the Rolex world !

Long story short, I visit three Ad that are 45mis away from my home. They all gave me horrible service. I'm completely bored hunting for a sub date. The moment I popped in, I knew they didn't bother with me because the way I look. Everybody knows A 27 years old boy wearing Jeans and a polo can't afford a 10K watch. So at everyone of my local Ad I was treated the same way...

I'm starting to think about spending 10K on something else or buy a Breitling superocean and still save money. My wife told me that buying my watch is supposed to be a good experience not the opposit and I believe she's right ! I don't want to buy from a grey dealer so I don't have a lot of option left...

Do you guy ever experienced a visit like this ? What did you do then?
Not much you can do unfortunately. I'm 44 and I get the same treatment if that's of any consolation. That's the new sad state of affairs with ADs, it didn't use to be like that.

As far as I'm concerned they could go out of business tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelid, they'd have it coming. We need new distribution channels.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:10 PM   #46
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
I was being completely ignored at the IWC store at Zurich Airport. It was warm and I pulled my sleeves up exposing my Pepsi and within 20 seconds a sales guy came over and said (and I swear this is word for word) - “WOW, I don’t see many of those - you must be a real VIP”. He gave me the hardcover catalogue, asked if I wanted champagne. All of which is insane.

In that store it seems that they do profile.
Not insane - it happens at any decent AD. (Boutiques or family businesses, not mall stores.)

They 'profile' everywhere BTW. Sales people will help those who look like they are ready to spend money.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:13 PM   #47
peterpl
Banned

Stupid to profile based on a SS Sports watch. We all know a SS BLRO is a $16k watch at the grays pricing.

If I was a sales person I would much rather profile someone with a $150k Patek than a SS Rolex. And we all know that most people with any smarts would not play an AD game of buying a PM piece at RRP just to add a SS down the road. That deal is for people without a brain.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:15 PM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think it’s fair to say that you are judged on how your appearance but more importantly, how you carry yourself. I’m not saying jeans and a polo are inappropriate as that’s pretty much how I walk around too.

SS professional Rolex models are tough to get right now agreed, but I believe if you engage the sales staff in a thoughtful way, you’ll land one sooner than you think
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:15 PM   #49
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Go buy another brand that will actually supply the watch you want. Stop playing Rolex games, Rolex will never get another dime of my money. I have been around these parts for a long time, buying and selling dozens of Rolex sport watches. I can tell you that I have been buying other brands for less money and enjoying them just as much if not more these days.

Go walk into another brands boutique store and see how well you are treated. It is always night and day better than Rolex.
Old 28 April 2019, 10:45 PM   #50
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I look like a scrub alot ... dont let it get u down.

Buy urself a rolex exploer 1. Its a better watch vs the ones that are perceived to be super hot.

Id do this on a bracelet all day over a sub...
That looks great. Where did you get the strap?
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:56 PM   #51
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Buy a Veyron and park it in front of the AD's. I guarantee you'll get better service.
Or just wait until someone else parks theirs outside and say “look guys I need that SS piece ASAP as I really don’t wanna get a parking ticket slapped on my Veyron!”
Old 28 April 2019, 11:22 PM   #52
txjohn
"TRF" Member

Dealers get a lot of tire kickers, I've been treated the same quite a few times . I'd go back and tell them I'm ready to buy . They should warm up to you. Don't let your ego keep you from the watch you want.
txjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:29 PM   #53
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
That looks great. Where did you get the strap?
From my AD its a Rolex oysterflex
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:29 PM   #54
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Maybe it’s a confidence thing.
At 27 you are a Man, not a boy. I have gone to an AD in old sweatpants after I have finished painting, and still received good service.
Confidence man!
^^^^^

This.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #55
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Rent a tuxedo and two smoking hot models, one on each arm.
You will have the staff falling over each other to assist you.
Then you can hear all about the SS watches they don't have in stock.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:40 PM   #56
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I was a young first time buyer once,just like the OP.I understand his frustration .

AD games due to shortage in stock has made sales staff "very smart people" these days

Buy yourself a new DJ41 or a mint used Sub/Date
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:41 PM   #57
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srichard View Post
Hi, I am a long time reader of the forum and I want to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your precious knowledge about the Rolex world !

Long story short, I visit three Ad that are 45mis away from my home. They all gave me horrible service. I'm completely bored hunting for a sub date. The moment I popped in, I knew they didn't bother with me because the way I look. Everybody knows A 27 years old boy wearing Jeans and a polo can't afford a 10K watch. So at everyone of my local Ad I was treated the same way...

I'm starting to think about spending 10K on something else or buy a Breitling superocean and still save money. My wife told me that buying my watch is supposed to be a good experience not the opposit and I believe she's right ! I don't want to buy from a grey dealer so I don't have a lot of option left...

Do you guy ever experienced a visit like this ? What did you do then?

I know how you feel I’m a few years older and while I wasn’t treated bad, I wasn’t a fan of their service vs when I went to AP boutiques. So I jumped ship. The watch you want isn’t impossible ... try calling every AD within a reasonable drive. (I wouldn’t tell you this if you wanted a gmt/daytona) make a road trip if they have one in stock and do a mini weekend vacation with the wifey if they have one for you.

Don’t settle, or else you will still want the sub. Patience is hard I mean I gave up and went to something else but I wanted a Daytona.
usnwfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 12:02 AM   #58
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
From my AD its a Rolex oysterflex
Ah ok cheers
Old 29 April 2019, 12:11 AM   #59
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
My standard attire is wind breaker pants and a dry fit shirt. What’s on the wrist helps (a little) but if/when the conversation turns technical, that’s usually when the SA gains perspective that I am an enthusiast.

I enjoy visiting ADs especially when I travel, but I know the market conditions and expect the typical responses when SS is brought up. Very seldom have I felt my attire or physical appearance has deterred the SA from helping me.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 12:13 AM   #60
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Don't let sales people deter you from your mission. They are just regular people, no better or worse than any of us. Not to be held up on a pedestal just because they work at a Rolex AD. Once you have the watch you'll forget the experience.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote