The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2023, 06:13 AM   #31
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post
I don't know why everyone is comparing this to a Sub. The people who are fans of the Sub will find fault in this new watch. Let us hear from the YM fan club.

This watch needs to stand on its own. I applaud Rolex for going outside the box on a watch that is currently not as popular as the Sub. If you don't like the new YM because of the aesthetics, the titanium, the size, the technology, etc., so be it.

I don't think Rolex introduced this new YM to get people to quit buying the Sub.

This reminds me of what rolex did with the Day Date Tridor. The welding of PM metals was revolutionary at the time, but the buying public didn't like it, and such they quit making it. Will this watch be the same, I don't know, but I put my name on the list to get new YM. I think it will be a great new addition.
This YM fan club member says the new YM42 Ti will make a perfect daily. I eagerly await a chance to buy one
Old 2 April 2023, 06:15 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Unlike most of the responses to this thread, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Leaving aside the technical details as to what makes a dive watch a dive watch (and arguably the Sub doesn't full meet the standards anyway), The sub now (along with most of the catalogue to be fair) is more jewellery than tool.

A mirror finished case with a highly reflective bezel and gloss dial is never going to be ideal under water. An ex member of this forum had his ceramic sub brushed and the bezel bead blasted. Made for a much better tool watch.

I wouldn't say the sub is bloated, however and bigger is always better for legibility.

I think the new Ti YM looks fantastic. If I could wear a SD43 as a daily the 42mm YM in Ti would be a breeze.

Its not really about what's best for a particular application for 99.9% of buyers these days. Leaving aside hype based desire, its really just down to aesthetics.

And for me, the new Ti YM 42 blows the ceramic Sub out of the water in that respect.
Well said Scott
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:39 AM   #33
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I have several alternative routes on my way to the office, like 5 or 6. I need to know the patches on the road where the temperature is below 0 Celsius (freezing) for security reasons. I lost control of the car once due to ice on the road. I live in the countryside. Fuel consumption is interesting but not something I want to monitor real-time, as opposed to temperature especially in winter. But again, it's not so much the time at a given point I want to know, but the elapsed time since I left home, like using a chronograph which is why I find the rotating bezel useful.

Sorry makes zero sense.
Why do you time you journey to and from work everyday?? And if this information is truly imperative to your existence then your trip computer will tell you this...or a gps type tracker app on your phone.

As for the temperature thing again this makes very little sense. Unless you are travelling hundreds of miles everyday then if the temperature when you leave your home/work is within a few degrees of zero then you have a chance of ice anywhere along your journey.
My last few cars have all given an 'ice warning' when temps like that are detected, this is NOT new technology.

Anyway, you're the first person I've ever heard of who uses his watch to religiously time is journey to and from work....every day of his life!
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:45 AM   #34
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unlike most of the responses to this thread, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Leaving aside the technical details as to what makes a dive watch a dive watch (and arguably the Sub doesn't full meet the standards anyway), The sub now (along with most of the catalogue to be fair) is more jewellery than tool.

A mirror finished case with a highly reflective bezel and gloss dial is never going to be ideal under water. An ex member of this forum had his ceramic sub brushed and the bezel bead blasted. Made for a much better tool watch.

I wouldn't say the sub is bloated, however and bigger is always better for legibility.

I think the new Ti YM looks fantastic. If I could wear a SD43 as a daily the 42mm YM in Ti would be a breeze.

Its not really about what's best for a particular application for 99.9% of buyers these days. Leaving aside hype based desire, its really just down to aesthetics.

And for me, the new Ti YM 42 blows the ceramic Sub out of the water in that respect.

Actually the reflective surfaces of the sub aren't a problem at all when diving, if anything it helps when at depths. I've dived with my sub, my SD43 and my Omega 300M.

However I completely agree with you about the YM Ti, it appeals to me a lot.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:46 AM   #35
"TRF" Member

The yachtmaster is much nicer than the submariner. I don’t really see them being cross shopped.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:50 AM   #36
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Would have preferred a Ti Sub, or Ti SD43.
Or better yet, a Ti D-Blue!
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 07:20 AM   #37
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS Challenge
Again, I admire this new Ti Rolex watch. The least expensive watch can tell you the time but we collect watches because we like them. I like dive watches, they are the bulk of my collection. As an avid diver I know we all wear diver watches. Some are certified as such for no particular reason than that is what we like. Other watches are 100m WR and that’s good enough. But they are all used only on the surface. Proper dive computers are just too big and bulky to wear other than while diving. Most divers just wear their watch under their wet suit, you do not need it during the dive, some wear it visibly. I have mine within my dry suit, never to be seen during the dive. But it’s on my wrist to be used the other 99% of the time.

All my land, sea and air watches are 100m WR and usable during any dive. Except my TAG Heuer Carrera tourbillon 100m chronometer. TAG specifically wrote me and told me no water sports, not even a shower for this watch. I wonder why they gave it any WR rating if you cannot even get it wet???

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 07:30 AM   #38
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
The yachtmaster is much nicer than the submariner. I don’t really see them being cross shopped.
Unless you think like me and know the sub is much nicer! It looks better, has more heft, is not dull, etc etc! I don’t know how anyone can compare a one year new release to the most iconic watch in the history of watches. A better question, which of the two will be around in 10 years?
Old 2 April 2023, 07:55 AM   #39
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
This is the first yacht master I’ve ever liked. And I want one badly. But it has nothing to do with the submariner, which is sublime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 08:05 AM   #40
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
If you are using the example of using a dive watch to time your commute to work in low light in your car as to why said dive watch is better than another watch, its hardly a convincing argument.

My phone has a stopwatch. Its also fully illuminated. My car also has a lap timer/stopwatch built into its display.

Sounds like you need a Daytona
I like the convenience of timing my commute at the flick of the wrist. It's more enjoyable than starting the stopwatch on the phone, which by the way you need to remember to stop when you get to your destination. I use the phone for real-time data traffic already. With the watch you just have to look at it. It's quicker. I had a Speedy for a while and while it was fun, I find a bezel just easier and more convenient to read in low light. It's perfect.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 08:15 AM   #41
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
Sorry makes zero sense.
Why do you time you journey to and from work everyday?? And if this information is truly imperative to your existence then your trip computer will tell you this...or a gps type tracker app on your phone.

As for the temperature thing again this makes very little sense. Unless you are travelling hundreds of miles everyday then if the temperature when you leave your home/work is within a few degrees of zero then you have a chance of ice anywhere along your journey.
My last few cars have all given an 'ice warning' when temps like that are detected, this is NOT new technology.

Anyway, you're the first person I've ever heard of who uses his watch to religiously time is journey to and from work....every day of his life!
Timing my commute is just fun and part of my daily routine, it's not that imperative . I use the bezel for what it's designed for, timing things.

I drive a 20 years old car which I love. It warns me of freezing temperatures but seeing the temp on the dashboard gives me that extra peace of mind when it's pitch black outside, early in the morning.

What's the point of having a rotating bezel on my watch if I'm not going to use it? Might as well use the thing. I just like knowing how long it's taking me depending on the route I choose. It's a way of killing boredom. Might sound weird to you, but then what's the point of wearing a watch? What's the point of using a chronograph? Use your phone for everything time related and let's shut the forum altogether.
Old 2 April 2023, 08:18 AM   #42
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Would have preferred a Ti Sub, or Ti SD43.
Or better yet, a Ti D-Blue!
Yes, yes and yes! That would have made a lot more sense.
Old 2 April 2023, 08:46 AM   #43
Ruvv
Banned

Watch: 126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
the yachtmaster is much nicer than the submariner. I don’t really see them being cross shopped.
+1
Ruvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 09:52 AM   #44
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Valid point as far as the history of the YM having more bling in the past. This Ti YM is much closer to the watch Sir Ben had on. I am interested to see Ti YM in person, I like the looks of it and would have it along with my Sub (not instead) bottom line Rolex have figured out a way to make the YM much more popular, these will sell like hot cakes! They are the masters of marketing!
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:03 AM   #45
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsprings View Post
Valid point as far as the history of the YM having more bling in the past. This Ti YM is much closer to the watch Sir Ben had on. I am interested to see Ti YM in person, I like the looks of it and would have it along with my Sub (not instead) bottom line Rolex have figured out a way to make the YM much more popular, these will sell like hot cakes! They are the masters of marketing!
They had to make the YM more popular by looking like a submariner. Seriously, what does that tell you? They should have made the bezel blue or something.

Tags
submariner , yachtmaster