The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 December 2009, 06:55 AM   #31
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
hey, and just enjoy more time looking at as many watches as you can on here!
jameshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 06:57 AM   #32
vitix
Banned

Watch: magneeleVE
Gab, you may look 15 but you made a grown up Man desition, not even "hombres maduros"made that kind of desition.... Good Form young man! God will bless you with what you want!
vitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 07:01 AM   #33
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Gaby,I commend you on your maturity!!!
Family & friends first then everthing else comes after......

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 07:02 AM   #34
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
It's the best thing to do, a freaking watch will always be at the end of the priority list. Always the family at the top.

When the economic is good again you can get it.

Good luck my friend.

Jocke

BTW. Just let me know if I should send you some bread.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 08:46 AM   #35
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
I'm glad you have the right values.

Men twice your age would have trouble with that decision.

There's a time and a place for everything, and when you get that SD it will mean that much more to you.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 09:33 AM   #36
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Square View Post
Worth more than all the Rolex's in the world When the times right that SD will still be waiting for you
Boyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post
money will always come and go. Your family won't, nor do 'needs'. Watches (as passionate as we are about them) are 'extras' - not our basic needs.

It must be tough, but know that the money will come around again for that watch, and it will mean even more for you.

I am in a similar position where i should channel money towards my first house etc with my pending graduation (student debt) and coming job... but a TT DJ or gold/leather JLC is rrrreallly calling me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
You did the right thing Gaby. You'll have many more watches in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Gaby, but you are a very wonderful person to do that for your family. You definitely have my respect
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperboy View Post
Well Gabby, You Know The Ol Saying, Sometimes You Just Have To Do What You Have To Do! I'm Sure It's The Right Decision My Friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post
I know you did this without hesitation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think you've done the 'right' thing Gaby Family is everything and should always come first. You are so young and I have NO DOUBT that you will get your SD sooner than you think. Good for you for helping your family out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
You time will come, one step at the time.
Good luck and respect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post
hey, and just enjoy more time looking at as many watches as you can on here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitix View Post
Gab, you may look 15 but you made a grown up Man desition, not even "hombres maduros"made that kind of desition.... Good Form young man! God will bless you with what you want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Gaby,I commend you on your maturity!!!
Family & friends first then everthing else comes after......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
It's the best thing to do, a freaking watch will always be at the end of the priority list. Always the family at the top.

When the economic is good again you can get it.

Good luck my friend.

Jocke

BTW. Just let me know if I should send you some bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
I'm glad you have the right values.

Men twice your age would have trouble with that decision.

There's a time and a place for everything, and when you get that SD it will mean that much more to you.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THESE WONDERFUL MESSAGES! I APPRECIATE U ALL! YOU ALL HAVE A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART. I THANK YOU

datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 09:46 AM   #37
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Hi Gaby,

If that avatar picture is of you, you appear young. I have to admire your selfless attitude and your love of your family. Please know that some of the finer material things can come later in life. I did not start my affair with watches until I got into my fifties. Not all of us are in the upper income bracket so buying a Rolex is a major financial decision. Good luck with you quest.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 09:51 AM   #38
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Gaby, just another message saying you made the right choice. Hey think of it this way, you still have it to look forward to!

Good on ya!
Old 20 December 2009, 09:54 AM   #39
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust1 View Post
Well guys, here in my beautiful Island of Puerto Rico, the economical situation is becoming a bit hard on us. The money that was being used for the SD layaway was becoming to be needed for car payments and groceries etc. So I called the AD holding the SD and told them to cancel the layaway and I would be picking up the money that was already "stashed" up... I actually don't regret it. Family is always first...

Gaby

Here, here...Good man, sorry but at least you have your priorities straight. I admire that. No worries, it will be there when your ready, maybe not that one but another for sure.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:02 AM   #40
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Look, you are 15 years old. The fact that you have a Rolex and in the process of another, puts you way ahead of many others unless they come from money.

At your age, I was going to school and working nights and weekends to help my family. My father, the sole bread winner, came down with a rare virus that attacked his heart and was forced to a no activity lifestyle for many years. Understand, what ever I wanted my dad would get me within his ability. And one day.... bam everything changed.

I was forced to become a man at 14 years old. I ended quitting baseball which was my passion by 15 because I couldn't make ends meet at home. At your age I went form All County baseball player, to doing things I wouldn't want my dad to know or my child to ever have to do. It is a wonder I am alive. At your age I was desperate and got mixed with the wrong crowd. You on the other hand seem to be taking the proper steps.

I drove a Honda Prelude that had a hole in the floor by my feet, no back seat just springs, one wiper blade (passenger side), no ac to speak of, the radio picked up odd stations on streets and even on avenues, no tail lights at night if the head lights were on (had to choose one or the other, so when a cop was behind me i had to switch), I had 8 gallons of water to fill the radiator depending on where I went I would load up that many gallons and I knew every gas station attendant in different points of Miami that would let me fill up the water gallons to make it home.

I think you get the picture.

At 19, in 1998, I quit college to make money because I couldn't do both. I started a business with borrowed tools and my dads 1983 truck.

Today, I have 18 trucks 86 men in my business and a great life. I made my dad is the boss in the business because he gave me the backbone I have today and never let me get out of control. I don't make a move without consulting with him. I just bought him an Explorer II for Christmas and next year I will be getting him a Daytona. I gave him a catalog and told him to choose. He doesn't know a DJ from a Submariner and he chose both those. Right now I didn't want to spend the money on a Daytona, but for his birthday next year I will get him that. He is my hero and best buddy.

You will get out of your jam. Just work hard, continue to be smart and never forget that nothing is more important than family. It is obvious that I don't need to tell you this as you are selfless. Just wanted to share my story so you see that
you are not alone. And some of us have gone through bad times as well. One day you will have a million bucks and sit there and value it more than others. And no matter what materials things you have, it won't replace the bond you have with your family. If a young punk like me did, you can too!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:07 AM   #41
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
You did the right thing...Everytime I get close to getting my 1st rolex something always comes up. But family always comes first..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
There are some touching stories in this thread. My hat's off to you Gaby (and DWDrummer) for the strength of character you have. You'll have a shoebox full of Rolexes one day, and you'll always look back at this time with pride because you put the needs of your family above your own.
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:23 AM   #43
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
Adversity

Every great man, every successful man, no matter what the field of endeavor, has known the magic that lies in these words: every adversity has the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit. - W. Clement Stone

Pep was right, "work hard, continue to be smart" and you'll get the watch you want some day. W. Clement Stone
DS_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:29 AM   #44
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
Hi Gaby,

If that avatar picture is of you, you appear young. I have to admire your selfless attitude and your love of your family. Please know that some of the finer material things can come later in life. I did not start my affair with watches until I got into my fifties. Not all of us are in the upper income bracket so buying a Rolex is a major financial decision. Good luck with you quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke1 View Post
Gaby, just another message saying you made the right choice. Hey think of it this way, you still have it to look forward to!

Good on ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Here, here...Good man, sorry but at least you have your priorities straight. I admire that. No worries, it will be there when your ready, maybe not that one but another for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
Look, you are 15 years old. The fact that you have a Rolex and in the process of another, puts you way ahead of many others unless they come from money.

At your age, I was going to school and working nights and weekends to help my family. My father, the sole bread winner, came down with a rare virus that attacked his heart and was forced to a no activity lifestyle for many years. Understand, what ever I wanted my dad would get me within his ability. And one day.... bam everything changed.

I was forced to become a man at 14 years old. I ended quitting baseball which was my passion by 15 because I couldn't make ends meet at home. At your age I went form All County baseball player, to doing things I wouldn't want my dad to know or my child to ever have to do. It is a wonder I am alive. At your age I was desperate and got mixed with the wrong crowd. You on the other hand seem to be taking the proper steps.

I drove a Honda Prelude that had a hole in the floor by my feet, no back seat just springs, one wiper blade (passenger side), no ac to speak of, the radio picked up odd stations on streets and even on avenues, no tail lights at night if the head lights were on (had to choose one or the other, so when a cop was behind me i had to switch), I had 8 gallons of water to fill the radiator depending on where I went I would load up that many gallons and I knew every gas station attendant in different points of Miami that would let me fill up the water gallons to make it home.

I think you get the picture.

At 19, in 1998, I quit college to make money because I couldn't do both. I started a business with borrowed tools and my dads 1983 truck.

Today, I have 18 trucks 86 men in my business and a great life. I made my dad is the boss in the business because he gave me the backbone I have today and never let me get out of control. I don't make a move without consulting with him. I just bought him an Explorer II for Christmas and next year I will be getting him a Daytona. I gave him a catalog and told him to choose. He doesn't know a DJ from a Submariner and he chose both those. Right now I didn't want to spend the money on a Daytona, but for his birthday next year I will get him that. He is my hero and best buddy.

You will get out of your jam. Just work hard, continue to be smart and never forget that nothing is more important than family. It is obvious that I don't need to tell you this as you are selfless. Just wanted to share my story so you see that
you are not alone. And some of us have gone through bad times as well. One day you will have a million bucks and sit there and value it more than others. And no matter what materials things you have, it won't replace the bond you have with your family. If a young punk like me did, you can too!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
You did the right thing...Everytime I get close to getting my 1st rolex something always comes up. But family always comes first..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
There are some touching stories in this thread. My hat's off to you Gaby (and DWDrummer) for the strength of character you have. You'll have a shoebox full of Rolexes one day, and you'll always look back at this time with pride because you put the needs of your family above your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_Obsessed View Post
Every great man, every successful man, no matter what the field of endeavor, has known the magic that lies in these words: every adversity has the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit. - W. Clement Stone

Pep was right, "work hard, continue to be smart" and you'll get the watch you want some day. W. Clement Stone
Thanks to everyone. Pep... Speechless just speechless (ME HE QUEDADO CON LA BOCA ABIERTA) Thank you, My brother! You're a great guy, Pep.

I have hope... Things will get better. Thanks To all of you.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:54 AM   #45
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Gaby,

SD's will come and go, family is here to stay. I admire you, my friend - only if I was as selfless at your age... I am sure my life would have turned out much more fulfilling. I learned, but much later in life. You have gained a jewel at an early age - you should consider yourself lucky. And don't worry - when time comes - the SD will be yours.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 10:56 AM   #46
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Gaby,

SD's will come and go, family is here to stay. I admire you, my friend - only if I was as selfless at your age... I am sure my life would have turned out much more fulfilling. I learned, but much later in life. You have gained a jewel at an early age - you should consider yourself lucky. And don't worry - when time comes - the SD will be yours.
Thanks, Greg... and maybe I'll buy the watch from you!
Old 20 December 2009, 10:58 AM   #47
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
good decision from someone your age. The world would be in a better place if all young kids has the same attitude.

I'm sure the SD will come around your way again and that time would be much more meaningful.

I will have a drink for you!
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 11:01 AM   #48
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
good decision from someone your age. The world would be in a better place if all young kids has the same attitude.

I'm sure the SD will come around your way again and that time would be much more meaningful.

I will have a drink for you!
Thanks, Eric!
Old 20 December 2009, 11:05 AM   #49
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The more you have to suffer to get it, the more special it will be. I didn't get my 1st one until I was 30. In hind sight, well worth the wait.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 20 December 2009, 11:08 AM   #50
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Family is first, you will get the funds back in the future to buy that SD !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 11:09 AM   #51
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
The more you have to suffer to get it, the more special it will be. I didn't get my 1st one until I was 30. In hind sight, well worth the wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Family is first, you will get the funds back in the future to buy that SD !
Old 20 December 2009, 11:28 AM   #52
DWdrummer
Banned

Some of these stories really make me feel good, better perhaps about things. I realize I am not alone. It's not just ME, who has things come up and getting in the way. Sometimes the fight is better than the prize itself.

To see so many people come from impoverished or meager beginnings, and rise about it and persevere is truly inspirational.
In my family my mother had to raise four kids almost completely alone. We lived in some very bad places because of it. My mother is the reason Im not dead or in prison today. The temptations, the desperation and hopelessness of the situation at hand was crushing at times. There was very easy money to be made in certain ways. My mother taught me that there is no easy money. She kept me away from all of that. I didn't ever want to hurt her. That is what kept me out of major trouble.

I see Im not the only one. Most of the people I grew up with were dead or in prison by the time we were all 20 or so. My mother could read the writing on the wall, she moved us all to Florida to start a new life, away from all of that filth and all of those bad and negative people.

I had to grow up very fast too. I hope that if anything, people can take from this thread a sense of hope. That is you do keep your eye on the prize, set goals, work hard and wait, then you will get where you are going.
To those who came from more stable or better backgrounds, never stop thanking your parents for making the sacrifices to give you a better life.

My mother on her death bed, she apologized to me. I stopped her, I told her "Mom, you have nothing to apologize for, NOTHING at all. You were an wonderful mother, the best mother anyone could have. All of my lowlife friends all adored you, and if they had mothers like you, they might be alive today, or walking free instead of doing life without parole. I wouldnt trade one day of my life, including any of the hardships because I got to spend them all with YOU mom. I love you more than you know, more than life."

That was one of the last things I ever said to my mother. She passed away in her sleep the next afternoon after a brave and long four year battle with cancer. She was the toughest, bravest and strongest person I ever knew. Her doctors were stunned she made it as long as she did. The could not explain it medically. Such was her will and spirit. She told me two days before she died "Im not afraid to die, I have had my life, a mostly good life, and you kids made it worth living, I love you all and I just dont want to leave you." Even at the end she was thinking of others. That is where I got it from.

If I never see a Rolex in my life. I will die happy, knowing I gave everything I could and that I had to help my mother, in some small part to try to pay her back for a lifetime of service to us kids.

Sorry for the long post guys.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 11:33 AM   #53
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
Some of these stories really make me feel good, better perhaps about things. I realize I am not alone. It's not just ME, who has things come up and getting in the way. Sometimes the fight is better than the prize itself.

To see so many people come from impoverished or meager beginnings, and rise about it and persevere is truly inspirational.
In my family my mother had to raise four kids almost completely alone. We lived in some very bad places because of it. My mother is the reason Im not dead or in prison today. The temptations, the desperation and hopelessness of the situation at hand was crushing at times. There was very easy money to be made in certain ways. My mother taught me that there is no easy money. She kept me away from all of that. I didn't ever want to hurt her. That is what kept me out of major trouble.

I see Im not the only one. Most of the people I grew up with were dead or in prison by the time we were all 20 or so. My mother could read the writing on the wall, she moved us all to Florida to start a new life, away from all of that filth and all of those bad and negative people.

I had to grow up very fast too. I hope that if anything, people can take from this thread a sense of hope. That is you do keep your eye on the prize, set goals, work hard and wait, then you will get where you are going.
To those who came from more stable or better backgrounds, never stop thanking your parents for making the sacrifices to give you a better life.

My mother on her death bed, she apologized to me. I stopped her, I told her "Mom, you have nothing to apologize for, NOTHING at all. You were an wonderful mother, the best mother anyone could have. All of my lowlife friends all adored you, and if they had mothers like you, they might be alive today, or walking free instead of doing life without parole. I wouldnt trade one day of my life, including any of the hardships because I got to spend them all with YOU mom. I love you more than you know, more than life."

That was one of the last things I ever said to my mother. She passed away in her sleep the next afternoon after a brave and long four year battle with cancer. She was the toughest, bravest and strongest person I ever knew. Her doctors were stunned she made it as long as she did. The could not explain it medically. Such was her will and spirit. She told me two days before she died "Im not afraid to die, I have had my life, a mostly good life, and you kids made it worth living, I love you all and I just dont want to leave you." Even at the end she was thinking of others. That is where I got it from.

If I never see a Rolex in my life. I will die happy, knowing I gave everything I could and that I had to help my mother, in some small part to try to pay her back for a lifetime of service to us kids.

Sorry for the long post guys.
Well Said. Inspirational. I already have one Rolex... If another one comes... It will be in the future....
Old 20 December 2009, 11:58 AM   #54
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
First and foremost that was very commendable of you to do that and for that you will always have my respect gaby!

Secondly you might be able to still get that SD, the numbers right now for the jewelers market are looking pretty dim right now ! i'm predicting rolex going up to 50% off by spring 2010 , i was just out shopping and my AD has them for 40% off right now.

Hang on my friend , hang on......
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 12:00 PM   #55
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
First and foremost that was very commendable of you to do that and for that you will always have my respect gaby!

Secondly you might be able to still get that SD, the numbers right now for the jewelers market are looking pretty dim right now ! i'm predicting rolex are going to offer 50% pretty soon they are already here up to 40% off and this is a major city!!!!

Hang on my friend , hang on......
Old 20 December 2009, 12:28 PM   #56
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Gaby, I can't say it any better then everyone else already has... you are doing the right thing and can take pride in that. Having a Rolex doesn't make you a man, character does, and you have proven your character is better then any watch. You'll get that Sub some day and whether you have 100 Rolexes or 0, you'll always be welcome here.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 12:31 PM   #57
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Gaby, I can't say it any better then everyone else already has... you are doing the right thing and can take pride in that. Having a Rolex doesn't make you a man, character does, and you have proven your character is better then any watch. You'll get that Sub some day and whether you have 100 Rolexes or 0, you'll always be welcome here.
Very Touching, Paul. Thanks you're a great friend!
Old 20 December 2009, 02:47 PM   #58
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
Take care of your family.

Nothing else is important.
The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2009, 03:16 AM   #59
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
You did the right thing friend...

only last year I had to sell both my Rolex's when the economy took a dive & I needed some hard cash to keep my business going & pay some bills.
(that's another good thing about Rolex's.... buy right & you'll never lose any money!)

Now it's almose a year down the line & I have a brand spanking new 'on deposit' at my AD & a 16610 on order also which are both 'inheritance pieces' for my sons.

Hopefully all this has shown my boys that while there's nothing like wearing a rolex on your wrist there's nothing more important than family....

You did the right thing man & I respect you for it.

Never...... ever doubt it.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2009, 03:17 AM   #60
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
You did the right thing friend...

only last year I had to sell both my Rolex's when the economy took a dive & I needed some hard cash to keep my business going & pay some bills.
(that's another good thing about Rolex's.... buy right & you'll never lose any money!)

Now it's almose a year down the line & I have a brand spanking new 'on deposit' at my AD & a 16610 on order also which are both 'inheritance pieces' for my sons.

Hopefully all this has shown my boys that while there's nothing like wearing a rolex on your wrist there's nothing more important than family....

You did the right thing man & I respect you for it.

Never...... ever doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Kid View Post
Take care of your family.

Nothing else is important.
Thanks Guys. Happy Holidays!