The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 March 2010, 05:00 PM   #31
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I've had a Rover for 6 years. No more problems than any other car that I've owned. The routine upkeep is more, but what do you expect on a car that expensive. I did get the extended warranty, which has saved me $2-3k so far (over the inflated cost of the warranty). I recommend it, and expect that it will save me another grand a least. Having said that, I'm not buying another one. I don't think they're worth the $$. I'll keep it for a couple more years and get something more practical, a 400+hp Grand Cherokee, Mercedes ML, or maybe a used low milage Rover. I'm actually hoping that the new jeep is not another dud from Chrysler. It is the only American car I would consider. My car is the "big" one so an SRT8 Grand Cherokee would be almost as much fun as the ML 63 AMG for 1/2 the price.
I don't know anything about the freelander, but I've had a couple as service loaners for a few days. They looked nice, but seemed underpowered and a little too loud for me. That's one place where Benz and Lexus shine. They are quiet.
Thanks for the info, here just about everything is underpowered and loud I imagine because petrol is about 7 USD a gallon and all the cars are diesel. I have my sights set on the new Freelander, many great reviews since LR cleaned up their act a couple o years back, they spent a lot on money on R & D to get their products right, and from what I have heard they were successful.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 05:17 PM   #32
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I'v owned two discoveries. They are made to do that sort of thing. The little rover II was just a cute ploy to make a smaller vehivle to compete with the lower end eco cars..You should look at a used LR3 or discovery. Land cruiser is also a good way to go.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 08:17 PM   #33
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
I'v owned two discoveries. They are made to do that sort of thing. The little rover II was just a cute ploy to make a smaller vehivle to compete with the lower end eco cars..You should look at a used LR3 or discovery. Land cruiser is also a good way to go.
LR3s aren't sold here and LCs are too high priced here, much more than the Freelander. The new '10 Freelander packs almost 200 horses with a Turbo Diesel, not what I would call an eco car. Here in Spain, we have different models, the Discovery over here IMO is no all that good looking and it's pushing $70K USD for price. I've got a dealer picking me up an 08 or 09 Zero Kilometer Freelander, but I'm still looking at $35K plus....It's a different world over here WRT SUVs...
Old 10 March 2010, 09:10 PM   #34
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Motor Trend compares the diesels, Mercedes ML, Lexus Hybrid, VW Touareg and BMW X5

My 09 VW V6 TDI Touareg
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:43 PM   #35
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Looking forward to hearing of your results after owning it a while. I would like to see thier reputation turn around.
BTW I like diesels.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 11:39 PM   #36
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Looking forward to hearing of your results after owning it a while. I would like to see thier reputation turn around.
BTW I like diesels.
Will post a review and pics once all is sorted.
Old 11 March 2010, 01:03 AM   #37
steelers
"TRF" Member

I would stay away from Land Rover! They are in the shop more that they are on the road!
steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 02:03 AM   #38
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers View Post
I would stay away from Land Rover! They are in the shop more that they are on the road!

I hear everyone say "stay away" but I have yet to hear anyone comment concerning the make and model year of the one that I am buying. I hear lots of negativity which is fine but please back it up with something. If it's a piece of crap fine, but I want to know why. I did mention that LR had spent millions on R&D and has come up with a totally new vehicle. Come on guys, simply "stay away" is a cop out. If you don't know then don't comment. If you have a 1994 LR and it was crap then fine, but I'm not buying that one, but a new one.
Old 11 March 2010, 04:35 AM   #39
S/SOnly
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II RN
Good Luck with the purchase, no matter what you get.... I for one really want to see the LR brand improve, and hopefully your experience will be a positive.

No matter what any of us here say, you are the one who has to be happy, and are buying it. I hope you will update us once you decide, and enjoy the ride Nicko.

Best
Old 11 March 2010, 05:24 AM   #40
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I hear everyone say "stay away" but I have yet to hear anyone comment concerning the make and model year of the one that I am buying. I hear lots of negativity which is fine but please back it up with something. If it's a piece of crap fine, but I want to know why. I did mention that LR had spent millions on R&D and has come up with a totally new vehicle. Come on guys, simply "stay away" is a cop out. If you don't know then don't comment. If you have a 1994 LR and it was crap then fine, but I'm not buying that one, but a new one.
I'm on the hunt for a new SUV to haul our horse, my Focus just won't cut it anymore. Does anyone here have experience with Land Rover? I'm looking at the new Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 with comandshift. How is it on fuel and it's hauling capabilities as an SUV. Any coments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
In your first "post" you asked if "does anybody have experience with Land Rover" and I quote. ..
I replied that the Disco I had was a piece of crap...period.
My guess would be that since the Freelander TD4 is a newer model that not many will have much to say about it.....yet.
But if you can predict a new SUV's value by the past ones they built I would not hold my breath and hope they improve
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 06:34 AM   #41
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Ok, good point. In the end, get what makes you happy. My .02, LR's quality has steadily gone down over the years since they have gone away from the roots of what has made them succesful. Why do I think so? Simple, they have increased electronics, creature comforts, and changed suspension systems (anyone with an LR3 can vouch for the airbag suspension failures). LR has again changed hands with TATA taking over the reigns and this spells another future problem in the line, cost cuts. This also concerns me.

Now, that aside...we understand that it's your car but you asked an opinion in an open forum and you got them. If you wanted a review on a 2010 LR then your kind of limited to what columnists say about the new cars. Just remember that perception is reality, and most likely a simple overhaul on a brand does not mean instant success.

Not trying to rain on your parade and I hope the best for whatever car you decide, which it sounds like you've allready made your decision. As I said before, if it were me and an LR was the only choice...I would go with a diesel Defender hands down. But what do I know, I just want a reliable 4x4 that I can take offroad and not have to worry about washing (haven't washed my rig in over 2 years). To each his own. Good luck.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 10:32 AM   #42
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
I'm looking to buy a 05-06 Range Rover Sport one of the best looking SUV out there IMO!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:00 PM   #43
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
If you want to read about Touareg's then go here: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/

As for my Touareg, here is my favorite modification: http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...anfrontend.flv
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:16 PM   #44
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nicko,

You asked the question then complained about answers that you didn't want to hear.
You were one of the only ones who kept posting positives for this Land Rover on your own post.
Then you bought it anyway.
Why ask questions when you don't want the answers??
You should have bought a Subaru Turbo Forester.
145000km on three of these as work vehicles and none were ever in the shop except for the minimum service requirements and some even got less service than that.
Maybe I was just lucky.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote