The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 November 2010, 09:47 AM   #31
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
I am emotionally and intellectually committed to EVERY opinion I express! If I am not, I will not express the opinion. Thanks for the concern and fyi... I LOVE the bark look on the DD/president
Now THAT is something I get emotional about!
Old 25 November 2010, 09:51 AM   #32
yemenmocha
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS & TT Daytonas
Have to agree with everything said by HooliganHooker.

Many places are delusional about what they *can* sell something for. It's the same with cars. When I shopped for my M3 I had salesmen tell me it is a "special car" and not discounted much, if at all. He was FOS. I negotiated several thousand off elsewhere, and the original salesman actually let out a minute long rant on the phone when he called to follow up a few weeks later.

AD's make big profits on volume on other jewelry items, and the same problem exists there too except their inventory probably appreciated a lot more over the last few years (gold & precious metal prices).
Omega Railmaster
Tudor Submariner
Old 25 November 2010, 09:51 AM   #33
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Why even bother to go to an AD when we got sellers like DavidSW right here on TRF

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
Old 25 November 2010, 09:53 AM   #34
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganhooker View Post
The issue isn't really with the retailer, it's with Rolex as it is Rolex that will take action against the AD who sells below the designated MSRP.
That might be the case in the U.S. Robert, but it isn't universal. My AD here in Canada regularly discounts select models by 23%. And, the very last line on the Rolex Canada price list (this is from '09 but it hasn't changed) says:

"All prices and models subject to change or withdrawl without prior notice: in particular, prices of diamond-set models depend on market fluctuations and are approximate... ...The retail prices are suggestions only, jewellers may sell for less"

Btw, there was a spirited discussion about this a while ago:
http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...th+this+thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 Rolex Price List.jpg (126.3 KB, 307 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 25 November 2010, 09:55 AM   #35
chrisshank

Watch: GMTIIc
I think we should all take a step back and realize that we are arguing over a watch that costs thousands of dollars and tells the time no better than my phone clock (actually worse). Its a piece of steel. Beautiful steel, yes, but steel nonetheless. We should all be grateful if we can afford ANY Rolex no matter if you pay 30% of MSRP... 100% MSRP... or Tourneau's price 150%MSRP (LOL)...

Everyone put your favorite Rolex on, go into your living room, and...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris
Old 25 November 2010, 10:00 AM   #36
yemenmocha
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS & TT Daytonas
Forgot to add that YOU PEOPLE who ask for discounts and complain about discounts... guess what, those AD employees don't exactly like you very much if you know what I mean. So don't just be upset at their refusal to give you a reasonable market price, also note that they probably don't like you, just as much as a waiter may not like you for presenting a buy one get one free coupon when you order.
Omega Railmaster
Tudor Submariner
Old 25 November 2010, 10:09 AM   #37
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
i think the arguments over AD prices, discounted or not, are ridiculous, to say the least.
it's simple: if you go into an AD and ask for a discount you'll probably get one, but maybe not. if the salespeople/managers are not nice, that's an affront that should cause you to walk to the next shop. personally? i would never, ever buy at an AD, so I really don't care what their prices are.......and I must say, I am amazed that anyone would defend their prices, but hey, everybody has the right to their opinion.

And right....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Old 25 November 2010, 10:09 AM   #38
LostInTime
"TRF" Member

Who cares if an AD employee (service worker) doesn't like me?
Old 25 November 2010, 10:10 AM   #39
Paul B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Don't go there...
Quote:
I don't agree with paying an accumulated arbitrary year-on-year mark-up. Would you buy a brand new 2006 Toyota Camry that has set on the dealer's showroom floor for four years and pay the price of a 2010 Camry?
Unfortunately Rolex has addressed this issue with the creation of the random serial number system, I don't see buying a new Rolex' in my future...

Paul
Old 25 November 2010, 10:13 AM   #40
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
but hey, everybody has the right to their opinion.

And right....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
... and I am defending not their prices but their RIGHT to price THEIR merchandise as they see fit. Its no different than having a RIGHT to an opinion..

happy Turkeyday back at ya!
Old 25 November 2010, 10:20 AM   #41
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... and I am defending not their prices but their RIGHT to price THEIR merchandise as they see fit. ITs no different than having a RIGHT to an opinion..

happy Turkeyday back at ya!

I completely agree with this, and this reason is why any "controversy" exists.

I truly feel that discounts are case by case, as in, if you go into a store like a pompous ass, don't expect much. However, on the flip side, if you are polite, ask questions, and generally handle yourself like a mature adult, you will in most cases be offered an initial discount, which will give you a base to work some additional negotiating. It's probably not coincidental that people who immediately log onto to a forum about AD's not giving discounts are the ones not getting them.
Old 25 November 2010, 10:21 AM   #42
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac53 View Post
I completely agree with this, and this reason is why any "controversy" exists.

It's probably not coincidental that people who immediately log onto to a forum about AD's not giving discounts are the ones not getting them.
They are not the ones who "know" how to get them.

+1
Old 25 November 2010, 10:38 AM   #43
Rodmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 Subs/2 Daytonas
Whether I am buying a car, a watch or jewelry item, or any other significant product, I like to establish a long term relationship with a quality vendor. That means that not all transactions are equal, some I do better than others. But in the long run, on balance, my experience is that I benefit. And the vendor too.

Sometimes the relationship translates into better service, a lower insurance premium, less hassle with a problem, less worry, etc. And yes sometimes a very nice discount too.

As for watches and jewelry, I use an AD. Not that it couldn't be a quality internet dealer. With my last watch purchase (Tudor Heritage) I had a problem and it went back to the RSC. After a few weeks and it wasn't back, one word from me to the AD and it was replaced with a new one, same day.

To each his own, whatever works. But I agree with the OP, if you don't like an AD or prefer another type of relationship, just do it.
Old 25 November 2010, 10:44 AM   #44
Paul B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Don't go there...
Quote:
... and I am defending not their prices but their RIGHT to price THEIR merchandise as they see fit.
And the market will continue to dictate that pricing, they will have to adapt to the new global market or disappear...
Five years ago no one knew what an AD paid for a Rolex, and other than people who traveled globally, most had no idea on availability or discounts in other markets. Basically your local AD had you by the xxxxxs, but not anymore. Now just clicks away and ; EBay, web sites like this, market place web sites, gray market dealers etc..., the world is changing and it will continue to do so, we'll see if Rolex and their AD's go the way of record stores, secretaries, travel agents, local car dealers, stock brokers etc...

Paul
Old 25 November 2010, 10:48 AM   #45
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTime View Post
Who cares if an AD employee (service worker) doesn't like me?

I thought a rule of selling was that it was not important for the sales person to necessarily like the prospective customer, but it was important for the prospective customer to like the sales person.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Old 25 November 2010, 10:57 AM   #46
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
Well said OP. If you are going to walk away from a watch because the AD isn't willing to give you 20% off, you probably shouldn't be buying a Rolex in the first place...
Old 25 November 2010, 11:08 AM   #47
Peter B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub and Daytona
I tend to agree with the OP: I am not sure why some people get offended when they are not offered a significant discount at an AD. To me, it is a simple transaction and if the terms are not acceptable to either party then move on...

By the way, as a new member, I am quite pleased with the general tone of this forum. Mostly positive, encouraging, and enlightening discourse while the occasional disagreements are made maturely and logically without degenerating into juvenile name calling. Well done TRF!
Old 25 November 2010, 11:19 AM   #48
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSovereign View Post
Well said OP. If you are going to walk away from a watch because the AD isn't willing to give you 20% off, you probably shouldn't be buying a Rolex in the first place...
Why would you say that. Wanting a discount and being willing to play hardball, leave, and shop around to get what you want has nothing to do with what one can afford. I shopped around for my Rolex, much to my financial benefit. I saved more than enough for a couple of services. However, over the last couple years, three greater area Rolex ADs closed. I may have to utilize our forum heros for my next one.

十人十色
Old 25 November 2010, 11:28 AM   #49
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

There is nothing wrong with asking for a discount. I will ALWAYS ask if I can get one but I wont make a "whiny" thread just because I didn't get what I want.

If the AD doesn't give you what you want, move to the next store and shop around.

No one is going to buy a car on their first visit to the first car dealership.

We all ask for discounts and always look for the better price. If you do not admit this; you're a lying sack of sh*t, unless you're a gazzzilllionaire and you have hundred dollars bills to wipe your butt.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:31 AM   #50
Tachymeter
Banned

Quote:
I am emotionally and intellectually committed to EVERY opinion I express! If I am not, I will not express the opinion. Thanks for the concern
My goodness, this is a simple watch forum and the level of pretentious that sometimes seeps out is worrying!
Old 25 November 2010, 11:36 AM   #51
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Well said.

I also dislike the constant encouragement of tax fraud by getting the AD to ship out of State.

Tax Fraud? Saving a few hundred dollars (the legal way) can hardly be construed as fraud.

Quote:
Personally, I have no issue with paying MSRP. But I do have issue with paying 2010 MSRP on a watch that has sat in the case for four years.
Same here.

Quote:
Since you are addressing my personal background in this public forum, was never in sales of tangible things. Actually I am a retired investment manager/investment broker. I retired 7 years ago at 41. What I am is an unabashed CAPITALIST and subscriber to the philosophies of Ayn Rand ( Atlas Shrugged/ Fountainhead fame).

I am relaxed, just intense I suppose.
No offense implied so please don't take me wrong. But, Howard Roark would not be compromised to pay mainstream prices for something that purist of the brand can acquire for less than stipulated.

I am a CAPITALIST as well, so I try to get the most for my money.

(I just don't whine when I don't)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Old 25 November 2010, 11:51 AM   #52
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I do not own a Rolex but plan to buy one. Ideally, I would like to purchase from an AD which gives me good service and an excellent overall experience.
Unfortunately, I do not expect this will happen.
Often times the AD's will have sloppy watch case displays and salesepeople who don't know much about the product or care to offer any especially good service. The watches are shop worn, not factory fresh.
So, in theory a brick and mortar retail store front deserves to receive MSRP. But in reality, the store is not providing merchandise or service deserving of full mark up pricing.

Quote:
It amazes me that so many TRF members do not understand that there is a "cost" to maintaining a brick and mortar store front where they all can go in and "window shop/try on , and yet not buy watches.

I doubt ANY TRF member works for free and resents when their customers/employers demand discounts and pay cuts, yet they feel that a Rolex AD exists purely for their personal service and pleasure.. FOR FREE!

Grow up people and quit whining if you cant afford the watch. If you like to shop then shop.. we don't need to hear about retailers who don't bow down to you and give you a watch at cost after establishing and maintaining a storefront( often in an expensive yet convenient mall), employees ( and all the expenses associated), the carrying cost of a big inventory(for all you looky loo's to fondle) and then, heaven forbid, the retailer who wants to make a profit!

I am always interested in hearing about bad service or uninformed/unprofessional sales staff at an AD selling at full retail. We all expect and deserve a professional experience if MSRP at a Rolex AD. Rolex expects this of its AD's as well!

Please, don't think you are making news by telling us Rolex AD's are looking to get full MSRP for their inventory. Don't expect a AD with all the overhead to match the price of one of the TRF sellers here who are "Internet" based sales operations with the low overhead to match.... it just makes you look so uneducated/unsophisticated in the world of commerce.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:58 AM   #53
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post

I thought a rule of selling was that it was not important for the sales person to necessarily like the prospective customer, but it was important for the prospective customer to like the sales person.

My first sales manager told me to ,"smile, be professional, polite & make the customer your friend & business partner."
Works for me.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:59 AM   #54
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Quote:
It is not "right" that a dealer buys a watch that retails for, say, $5000 in 2006. Then Rolex raises prices 6-10% each year and now they charge $1300-$2300 more than the watch was originally worth.

The issue isn't really with the retailer, it's with Rolex as it is Rolex that will take action against the AD who sells below the designated MSRP.

But seriously, how many other pieces of merchandise sell in this manner...a four year old item being sold at current prices....

Let's say you bought something 3 years ago at X price and now your same item is worth X +2K and your item is mint or like new, wouldn't you try to get a premium on it? Yes you would. Now you might let it go for less because of what you had into it, but i guarantee you would not sell it for X.
Old 25 November 2010, 12:06 PM   #55
Trev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 2599.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
The internet has changed the way the planet shops and will continue to do so. We can buy almost anything anywhere in the world, adapt or disappear.

Paul

Well said. Couldn't agree more!
Old 25 November 2010, 12:20 PM   #56
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
Tax Fraud? Saving a few hundred dollars (the legal way) can hardly be construed as fraud.

Same here.

No offense implied so please don't take me wrong. But, Howard Roark would not be compromised to pay mainstream prices for something that purist of the brand can acquire for less than stipulated.

Not paying the sales tax to the state that you live in if it has sales tax is tax fraud. Just because you buy an item from another state does not excuse you from paying sales tax. I was audited by the state of Florida for out of state purchases, so was a buddy of mine, it ended up costing him a good bit of money.
Old 25 November 2010, 12:26 PM   #57
tictocChuck

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Firstly, a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I built a respectful relationship with the AD I've bought my Rolex Watches from and prefer a salesperson who is friendly, knowledgeable and most importantly down to earth (no snobs...thanks).

I politely ask once what the best price will be and let them know that I will consider it seriously and respond either way (no haggling after that). This isn't the 1980's where the more you paid for something, the better....consumers are more savvy and informed (via internet) and what's wrong with that? The key is to keep things respectful and fun.

BTW, the AD that discounted my first Rolex 2 years ago has since been rewarded with several more purchases...everybody comes out a winner!

Cheers and have a safe Holiday weekend!
Old 25 November 2010, 12:26 PM   #58
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSovereign View Post
+1 That is exactly the bottom line....
Old 25 November 2010, 12:28 PM   #59
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachymeter View Post
My goodness, this is a simple watch forum and the level of pretentious that sometimes seeps out is worrying!

What a wonderful personalized comment directed at me without making the slightest contribution to the subject of this thread. Great thoughts from the land down under!

BTW... the correct form of the word is "pretension"
Old 25 November 2010, 12:30 PM   #60
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post

Same here! +1
Closed Thread