The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2010, 02:40 PM   #31
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I'd consider a high end quartz Rolex.......but it's gotta be better than The Citizen Chronomaster A660 movt. & the Grand Seiko 9F62 & 9F65 movts.
Now we are talking apples to apples!

Havind had a Citizen Exceed, E510, a Seiko 8F32 (still have), 2 OQs, and a quartz chronometer certified Breigtling Colt II, I can say that not all quartz movements are created equal.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 09:38 PM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7 View Post
I have a #17000 OQ that I think is a fine timepiece (and a used bargain). It's so very precise, as any wristwatch can be. Many people think Rolex fans are snobs and look down on quartz mechs. I personally appreciate them. I actually like an uber-precise timepiece now and then....

Here's the Q....

Would any of you EVER consider a Rolex quartz Submariner or say, Datejust if Rolex brought the option to market? If Omega can sell a SMP Quartz and Breitling a Superquartz, why not Rolex with a Sub quartz? It wouldn't be positioned as 'cheaper' but just as an option for people who prefer the simpler, more accurate and predictable ownership of a quartz. They have movements available (thousands in a warehouse the rumor has it going back to the 80's). They have the ability. Just a thought. Let's see what we have to say on this.

Happy Festivus!
Now Pre Rolex own quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement.Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the 5100 was water resist and not waterproof,now this was the first Rolex with ever with a sapphire crystal.Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement,and the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.Now the quartz movement cost more than its mechanical brother.And around 1985/6 a 16000 DJ cost £840,16750 GMT cost £834 while the 17000 Oysterquartz was £992.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ±60 seconds (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

And around the same time as the Oysterquartz some of the selected Grand Seiko Japanese quartz model these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive even then.But not heard of much in the western world then mainy Japan and far east only.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" around 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was used in the 1980s models but now rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now most certainly the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty plus years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

Now don't forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a Rolex quartz analogue watch.The same type drive train as in like say the cal 3035 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal,and the quartz movement is more expensive than its mechanical brother if ever it needs replacing.Service time around the same as the mechanical as for cost I would have thought around the same as mechanical.But Rolex will replace batteries free of charge and replace case back seals.But today most good quality ETA quartz analogue watches can match or better the Rolex oysterquartz for accuracy. Myself like the oysterquartz its a great watch with quite a bit of history, but would just prefer it in the oysterquartz, keep the rest of its brothers mechanical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I'd consider a high end quartz Rolex.......but it's gotta be better than The Citizen Chronomaster A660 movt. & the Grand Seiko 9F62 & 9F65 movts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 09:47 PM   #33
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I would consider it if it had a sweep hand like the Seiko Spring Drive,arnt they electro-mechanical ?
Quartz no, Spring-Drive absolutely. That's a marvel of engineering that Seiko's made, and those GS's are a masterpiece.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 10:02 PM   #34
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
As usual Padi has given us a succinct history of quartz watches within the Rolex line. I enjoy my 17013 and its accuracy. But one of the most appealing factors is the case design and the integrated bracelet. The 36mm diameter wears much bigger than a standard DJ and garners compliments constantly. Here's a link to a great site dedicated to the OysterQuartz. http://www.oysterquartz.net/

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 12:05 AM   #35
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I love mine! It is the most accurate watch I have owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0535.jpg (99.6 KB, 60 views)
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 12:07 AM   #36
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Most unique and different looking dial I've ever seen!

What on earth is that?
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 12:32 AM   #37
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
It's a Day Date with a burle wood diamond dial. Haven't seen but one out in the wild before and it was the exact same watch without the diamonds. Very unique dial and that is why I love it so much.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 01:27 AM   #38
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
I love the OQ, and I have owned 3 of them.
I like them because they are very different from all other Rolex models, in their design of the bracelet and case.
I love that Michael Caine wears an OQ DD in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I would never buy a normal Sub, Datejust etc, becuse then it wouldn“t be different, just look like a cheap china copy.
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 01:51 AM   #39
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
I personally would never buy a Rolex quartz. Contrarian that I am, I like having a watch that doesn't employ the newest technology but rather is a throw-back to a different era.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 05:43 AM   #40
gpateesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Date+Day
I don't know that I'd buy a new OQ if they made one now, but I do wish I was able to buy a 17000 today.

Oh well, another dream deferred.
gpateesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2010, 05:56 AM   #41
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
OQ looks good and a fine timepiece

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote