The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 January 2011, 06:00 AM   #31
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
Service techs are not always the most knowledgeable folks when it comes to the minutiae of vintage Rolex, as you are about to discover.
This is so true. Collectors know the details of watches and watchmakers know how to service/restore.

Adam,
on a side note, what can you tell us about your example shown above with the swiss made on the dial? What time frame did they use that writing?
Thanks
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 06:31 AM   #32
322tcs
"TRF" Member

Ah...another good point Adam, I am more confused than when I began...lol. believe me, I won't be shocked to find anything out at this point, I would just like to solve the mystery!
322tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 06:55 AM   #33
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Adam,
on a side note, what can you tell us about your example shown above with the swiss made on the dial? What time frame did they use that writing?
Thanks
You mean the ref. 3134 bubbleback with the mirror track sector dial? That is from 1941, but the style of this dial was designed by Rolex (or, rather, its dial supplier, probably Beyer) in the 1930s, especially the absence of the coronet. That's why I at first said it was from the '30s. This particular font was used until the late '40s I think.
Old 28 January 2011, 10:42 AM   #34
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean the ref. 3134 bubbleback with the mirror track sector dial? That is from 1941, but the style of this dial was designed by Rolex (or, rather, its dial supplier, probably Beyer) in the 1930s, especially the absence of the coronet. That's why I at first said it was from the '30s. This particular font was used until the late '40s I think.
The knowledge here is outstanding. What is the significance of the wording at the bottom “SWISS MADE”? I’m used to seeing that on new watches. Most of the older watches posted around here are “SWISS”, “SWISS – T < 25”, etc.
These old watches have so much character..
Old 28 January 2011, 11:09 AM   #35
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
That is a very well preserved nice watch Please don't let any yo yo watchmaker touch it.Be patient and take it only to a watchmaker with plenty of experience servicing Rolex. I myself think the watch is early 50's based on all the watches I have owned and seen throughout the years but the sure way to know is to see whats stamped inside the case back like others have said. Either way its a very nice package you have.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:52 AM   #36
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
...What is the significance of the wording at the bottom “SWISS MADE”? I’m used to seeing that on new watches. Most of the older watches posted around here are “SWISS”, “SWISS – T < 25”, etc.
These old watches have so much character..
Before the early '50s, when the designation on Rolex watches uniformly became "Swiss" (I have no idea why), virtually all said "Swiss Made". The Swiss watch industry was highly regulated, and I think that some sort of designation was required by Swiss law. Rare original Rolex dials (like in my avatar) were not marked; I've been told by an expert that this probably was sold in Switzerland itself, instead of exported, and that was usual for the late '30s.
Old 28 January 2011, 01:26 PM   #37
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Before the early '50s, when the designation on Rolex watches uniformly became "Swiss" (I have no idea why), virtually all said "Swiss Made". The Swiss watch industry was highly regulated, and I think that some sort of designation was required by Swiss law. Rare original Rolex dials (like in my avatar) were not marked; I've been told by an expert that this probably was sold in Switzerland itself, instead of exported, and that was usual for the late '30s.
This is so interesting. When dials show up from the 50’s,60’s or so with no designation, folks say the dials are redone. The era of your watches is fascinating. Are parts still available for these or do they have to be handmade?
Thanks again
Old 28 January 2011, 02:07 PM   #38
adam78
"TRF" Member

There are usually a lot of other clues to a redone dial than the absence of "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" -- those older redials are from the pre-1980 (or so) era, so have developed patina in their own right and are often mistaken by inexperienced eBay sellers or jewelers as original. Often those refinishers didn't have dies, so the print or lume looks uneven under magnification, or the markers don't always line up with the hatch marks, etc, etc.

Sure, the bubblebacks can be a hornet's nest of problems. The rotor bearings especially are notorious to go bad. Restoration can be very costly, and only a very experienced watchmaker (like Bob Ridley) will attempt it. Parts are either hand-made or possibly still in stock from old collected stock, or traded with other watchmakers I suppose.
Old 28 January 2011, 09:19 PM   #39
jdc
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch style is def 1950's. As Adam said get the case back off and see the date on inside
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 10:39 PM   #40
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
Good grief, now vintage has perked my interest... like if the $100k of modern Rolex watches isn't enough... Congrats to the OP. This is a very special watch indeed.

Mike
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:00 PM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Very nice. I think it's a "big bubbleback". By the way, it's actually from the early-to-mid '50s. The SNs started over again in mid-53. Have a look at the dating chart here: http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

And the "Rolex" of the top part of the strap should be facing towards the back of the watch; you have it on backwards. No biggie.

Congrats on a very nice heirloom watch.
Have to agree definitely a 1950s dial only Swiss was used till early 1960s then after from around 1998-2000.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:24 AM   #42
322tcs
"TRF" Member

I surely appreciate the input from all these members and thank you much, it is highly welcomed. I will visit the local RSC in SF soon, I am curious to say the least! I highly regard your input but am still puzzled.....
Granddad was never a rich man and was frugal to say the least, he owned 2 cars in his lifetime (90 yrs) a Bonneville that had 22,000 mi and a 70's Cutlass with less than 10,000 mi when he passed in 2001. He would have never purchased such a watch nor had the means (to my knowledge) but there could be one more explanation if in fact this is a 50's circa watch....He was truly an electronic genius, his service with the AAF ended in early 1945 where he returned to his civilian job, during the construction of the atomic bomb at site Y (Los Alamos) there were issues with the "trigger circuit" and after many weeks of trying to figure it out, they could not get it to work. An acquaintance of my Grandfather who was with the project approached my Grandfather with an invitation to examine the issue with them, Granddad helped solve the issue and redesigned the trigger within a 24 hour period of examining it. He was encouraged to stay with the project but only hung-out for four more days and returned to his civilian job. This was all top-secret at the time and there is absolutely no documentation, just the incident told to me by both Granddad and my father who also worked for DOD. So... this watch could have been his only recognition for that service.
322tcs is offline   Reply With Quote