The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2007, 07:14 AM   #31
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuden View Post
Thanks for all the information y'all guys provide. It helped me a lot. So its a real watch but high modify right? Thanks again.
It's not necessarily real. At best it is a real rolex with aftermarket parts. But it is also very possible that it could be fake. There is nothing in the information provided in that auction to enable anyone to verify that it genuine.

The only way I would buy it would be if the seller was in my are and willing to meet at an AD for verification at the time of purchase.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 07:23 AM   #32
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to buy a new rolex watch and was wondering if this is real or not. Thanks for any kind of help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9426&rd=1&rd=1
Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. It's unsettling, when you look at the sales' history for this seller, that there seem to be an awful lot of these modified watches for sale through one source. The prices paid are consistently below realistic valuations.

This large group of watches are either reasonable-grade replicas, or genuine Rolexes modified cheaply. In either case, the future of the watch is in doubt.

I wouldn't have though the question is "genuine or not?" but "is the risk manageable or not?" In this case, the risk is manageable by not taking the risk! The world is full of genuine watches with dealers whose face you can see; these aren't worth the lost sleep.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 08:08 AM   #33
mike
"TRF" Member

I'd pass.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 08:54 AM   #34
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
That dial is a aftermarket one,but Rolex used just the word Swiss on many vintage watches 60s 70s and on some late 90s. If I remember swiss made came in around 1998,like I said in my first post.Watch could well be genuine but it most certainly did not start its life in that present now form.

Don't forget that replacement dials obtained during service with a RSC can say swiss as well.

This one was put on my watch at the beginning of 2007:

bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 09:11 AM   #35
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have no intention to hijack the thread. After reading all the replies, it got me thinking, about my wife's Rolex. It has box and papers, when I bought it, preowned. However, it has after market diamond bezel. Does it mean, RSC WON'T service it?

Thanks.
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 09:35 AM   #36
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetravel125 View Post
I have no intention to hijack the thread. After reading all the replies, it got me thinking, about my wife's Rolex. It has box and papers, when I bought it, preowned. However, it has after market diamond bezel. Does it mean, RSC WON'T service it?

Thanks.
Thats correct. From what I understand, they will require you to restore the watch to original condition prior to servicing it. Hopefully someone can tell you differently.
Old 9 May 2007, 10:24 AM   #37
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetravel125 View Post

Thanks.
They will service the watch however they will bring the watch to it's orginal configuration and you will lose the aftermarket parts.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 11:21 AM   #38
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Cuden,

Welcome to TRF. For that kind of money, why would anyone want to buy that awful looking thing?

If it's your first Rolex, just walk in through the portals of any AD and get the real thing!!

Good luck - JJ

I agree w/JJ , If it's money there are many sources for pre owned Rolex, If not, I would go to AD and get the "REAL DEAL"

Good Luck and welcome to TRF
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 11:34 AM   #39
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Andy....what's cookin'?
Hey JJ - Hope the job scene works out for you. I'm sure it will. I see you are keeping your tossers in line. That's a full time job in and of itself.

Always warm regards to you and your family - Andy
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 03:41 PM   #40
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatia View Post
Hey JJ - Hope the job scene works out for you. I'm sure it will. I see you are keeping your tossers in line. That's a full time job in and of itself.

Always warm regards to you and your family - Andy
Thanks Andy!!

Yes, keeping these tossers in line is indeed a full time job!!

Always have my chin up for the job hunt, Andy. Now it's not a question of IF....just WHEN!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 03:43 PM   #41
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

no!
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 04:37 PM   #42
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
So is the aftermarket parts will last long or not? What are some pros and cons about after market? padi56 has listed 1 cons already. Any other suggestion? Thanks!!!
Welcome...

Cons; IMO it is no longer genuine Rolex.......get the cash togther and buy from an AD for piece of mind and getting an authentic watch.
Cons: buying from eBay

oh yeah, forgot one

good luck
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 05:05 PM   #43
trashboss

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Looks like a watch that one of our drivers found in the bottom of a dumpster back in the 80's. Yeah that watch never did work but old "Willie" had that monster wraped around the rear view mirror of his 76 Cadillac El Dorado for many years. Guess he thought it added some bling to his ride.
Eventually some kids broke into his car and stole it.
trashboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2007, 05:37 PM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalkerVintage View Post
Don't forget that replacement dials obtained during service with a RSC can say swiss as well.

This one was put on my watch at the beginning of 2007:
Correct but if that dial was put in your watch 2007 its a period old stock dial nipple dial, thats correct for your vintage watch .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 01:32 AM   #45
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
They will service the watch however they will bring the watch to it's orginal configuration and you will lose the aftermarket parts.
Thank you Mike and Brendan, for the information. It's comforting to know that RSC will service my wife's 31mm Rolex, when servicing is required. I bought it from one of the big grey market dealers in the internet. It's a P series, ref. 78273. I had checked his website last night, and there's another Ladies' TT Rolex with Jubilee bracelet that has 1 carat after market diamond. I wonder what the previous owner had done to the original bezel.

As I had mentioned, the watch has 1 carat after market diamond bezel. Probably the previous owner wanted it on the watch. I didn't know at that time, that buying an "altered" Rolex would be a problem, regarding having it serviced in the future.

Hopefully, my wife's Rolex won't be needing a service soon, and that a RSC will ultimately confiscate the after market diamonds. It's a Rolex after all...

Thanks again.

Louie
Old 10 May 2007, 02:11 AM   #46
OysterDavid
Banned

Louie, there are alternatives

Louie, Why are you obsessing about a presumed RSC rehab and the presumed confiscation of your wife's diamonds?

There are lots and lots of Rolex qualified watchmakers in the USA who can work on a watch, replace movement parts when needed with genuine Rolex parts, refinish a case and bracelet to like new and charge less than an RSC, AND BEST OF ALL, they won't take away the diamond bezel.

With the acknowledgement that an RSC visit is the presumed gold standard for Rolex repair and service, if everybody who owned a Rolex and needed a service were to use only an RSC, Rolex would be swamped. Rolex needs the independent service people, first because they will work on older models that Rolex won't, and secondly, Rolex couldn't handle everybody's repair needs.

If you've got an aftermarket accessory that you and your wife love, then by all means, investigate and get references for someone other than an RSC to do the inevitable servicing. You won't be shortchanging yourself.

Really.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 08:04 AM   #47
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
Louie, Why are you obsessing about a presumed RSC rehab and the presumed confiscation of your wife's diamonds?

There are lots and lots of Rolex qualified watchmakers in the USA who can work on a watch, replace movement parts when needed with genuine Rolex parts, refinish a case and bracelet to like new and charge less than an RSC, AND BEST OF ALL, they won't take away the diamond bezel.

With the acknowledgement that an RSC visit is the presumed gold standard for Rolex repair and service, if everybody who owned a Rolex and needed a service were to use only an RSC, Rolex would be swamped. Rolex needs the independent service people, first because they will work on older models that Rolex won't, and secondly, Rolex couldn't handle everybody's repair needs.

If you've got an aftermarket accessory that you and your wife love, then by all means, investigate and get references for someone other than an RSC to do the inevitable servicing. You won't be shortchanging yourself.

Really.
OysterDavid:

Thanks for your reply. Your used of the phrase "obsessing about" now makes me feel a legitimate/bonafide WIS.

You must understand that a person like me, who owns a few mechanical watches (B and O Brand, and Rolex) and who have not had these watches serviced in many years--is a bit concern on the issue of servicing the watch. But, at the moment, I am not obssessed with it. Just cautious.

I certainly appreciate your comments/thoughts. Cheers!

Louie
Old 10 May 2007, 08:15 AM   #48
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Correct but if that dial was put in your watch 2007 its a period old stock dial nipple dial, thats correct for your vintage watch .
Padi, I know it is the correct dial for the watch (i.e., nipple dial), however, this watch originally came with a matte instead of metallic "rootbeer" finish, so they must have made replacement nipple dials after 1998 since it doesn't have the tritium marking. I would like to know exactly when it was made though.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:33 AM   #49
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Here are some similar watches. These are real.

http://www.aandewatches.com/rolex-men-datejust71.htm

http://www.aandewatches.com/rolex-men-datejust35.htm
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:09 PM   #50
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I would ask for more photos, it is unusual that there are no images of the rear or back of the watch. I would suggest that you look at an AD for a nice used Rolex at that price they are out there. Some ADs sell trade ins others don't I am very weary of eBay as many people have become victims of fraud and eBay oops sleazebay generally does not care as long as they received their money. Buyer beware.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:54 PM   #51
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to buy a new rolex watch and was wondering if this is real or not. Thanks for any kind of help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9426&rd=1&rd=1
Looks like a real Folex to me.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote