The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2011, 12:26 AM   #31
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
I'm a hater!!! I find that the GMT master is actually useful to me where as the sub is just another entry level sports watch from a well respected brand (ok, I'm ready for my lashings lol). Not to mention James Bond is a fictional character. I believe that true heritage is with the Paul Newman Daytonas. Plus everybody has one so I'm out! I would consider a WG slate serti tho because THAT would be out of the ordinary!

WG DD Diamond Meteorite CC "Z"
SS DJ Tux Dial Roulette Wheel "M"
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 12:30 AM   #32
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Redcalx has a point.

The SS Sub is the most recognizable Rolex and the most common. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sub. But the stainless version seems to be everywhere.

One of the reasons I am contemplating of selling my 14060 for a 16660.

What I like about the Sea Dweller is the "look" of a sub but its not a sub.
Old 9 April 2011, 12:38 AM   #33
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Subs are amazing, but walk into a country club, nice restaurant, law firm, etc and count how long it takes to spot one. In fact, count how long it takes to spot 5. Won't be counting long.
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 12:44 AM   #34
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareemthedream33 View Post
Subs are amazing, but walk into a country club, nice restaurant, law firm, etc and count how long it takes to spot one. In fact, count how long it takes to spot 5. Won't be counting long.
Same goes for the NYC subway...
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 12:58 AM   #35
Frogman4me
Banned

Ok as the Sub being my favorite watch of all time I guess ill have to comment. No need to say that the popularity that everyone seems to agree on is just a testament to its quality and legendary status, I think we all agree there. If it were junk or out of style people would eventually stop buying it. Over 58 years with very little change to its exterior its still the highest regarded sports watch to this day. When your a legend, your never out of style.

One thing I must address is that I do agree that a modern Sub can be seen frequently depending on where you live. For me my interest is in vintage Subs. Now tell me how many of you have seen a 6538, milsub, or Comex? Many will never see one in their lifetime outside of the internet. All the subs everyone is claiming to see, how many are vintage models?

If your a true Rolex WIS you differentiate each and every Sub and would never say seeing a 14060 is the same as seeing a 5513. Although to a non WIS a vintage sub may look the same as a new sub, the price difference may be well over 100k, not to mention how difficult it is to locate one even if you have the funds.

In the interest of respecting the hardcore Sub collectors lets keep this as (modern Subs) 14060, 16610, 116610 are as common as ducks.

You don't want Mike Woods to come in here and talk about how difficult it was to build his 200 piece vintage Sub collection...lol
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:01 AM   #36
CashGap
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful, iconic watch.

I'm not a hater.

I can see the danger of a thread like this, because I only want to express the following:

I like many of the other watches in the line more, and my lifetime purchasing ability will probably not allow me to buy all the watches I ***LOVE***, so I don't anticipate the opportunity to buy the ones I merely like and admire.

But, to someone who has just purchased model 1xxxxxxx, that can come off as "hate".

I go to the auto show. Generally, of the 100 vehicles on display, I am passionately drawn to about 30 of them. I will not be purchasing 30 cars this year, no way. Maybe one. I don't hate the other 29, but I can articulate why I did not select them.

So. With all that (and I'm sure someone is about to reply "TLDR"!!!! ), I'll say that the diving/boating heritage of the Sub, YM and DS don't click with me as I have no diving/boating heritage myself. Travel? I have travel interests that cause the GMT to appeal. Racing? I love all forms of racing, causing the Daytona to appeal. Business? I love business, causing the DD line to appeal.

And want to know the monkey wrench? I love blue, so the LB Sub will likely be my next Rolex, despite everything else I just said!!!
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:04 AM   #37
cdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubLV, 1665 Rail
I am also not a fan of the ubiquity, as others have also mentioned, nor am I am fan of the fact that there are so many imitations that are confused as a sub. That being said, I bought a SubLV! Haha, go figure!
cdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:09 AM   #38
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
To me the 14060 sub is the perfect watch. I find myself always wanting to wear a diver, aways wanting to wear a Rolex and not wanting to switch watches. I would be perfectly happy to have a 14060 as my only watch for the rest of my lfe. Some day I will bring it back home
Old 9 April 2011, 01:26 AM   #39
rolexertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcalx View Post
the dealer himself pulled up his cuff and said 'Go with the Sub.. I've got one, I love it'. Then the manager pulls his cuff up and shows off his 'Me too' he says. Then the security guard says 'Me three - in fact, all my cop buddies have one' and I knew instantly I wanted nothing to do with it. I went GMT and I've never looked back. I tend to think the reason there's so many subs out there is in fact because there's so many subs out there :)
Hey! I have an idea: I'll just hate everything other people like, and vice-versa. I won't have to make any personal choices that way!
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:30 AM   #40
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexertion View Post
Hey! I have an idea: I'll just hate everything other people like, and vice-versa. I won't have to make any personal choices that way!
Seriously, do you know how many modern Rolexes are sold today? If you are concerned with "common" don't even buy a Rolex, buy a Patek for exclusivity. This thread is surprisingly filled with people who care about what others think and have. If you love the Sub that should be the only factor that matters.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:38 AM   #41
bugsychiou
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL !!
So much love for the Sub... Any haters?

Hey.... I have never been a big fan of the Sub ... seemed too small on my wrist, didn't like the cyclops on the date, and a bit to comon in my opinion (common in the sense that a lot of people have it... nice machine though...)... I prefer by far the Sea Dweller, which solves most of the issues I have with the older subs...

... now since the Kermit came out, I started changing my mind ... I totally love it, and become completely crazy about the Hulk (New LV)... also like the Smurf but a bit too expensive for me....

So.... I guess that now I am quite a lover !!
RLX SubLV M
RLX Milgauss GV M + PAM 048 + PAM 090...
bugsychiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:41 AM   #42
bugsychiou
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL !!
So much love for the Sub... Any haters?

... hmm... lug holes are also not my piece of cake (even if I have them in my PAMs )......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Seriously, do you know how many modern Rolexes are sold today? If you are concerned with "common" don't even buy a Rolex, buy a Patek for exclusivity. This thread is surprisingly filled with people who care about what others think and have. If you love the Sub that should be the only factor that matters.
RLX SubLV M
RLX Milgauss GV M + PAM 048 + PAM 090...
bugsychiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 01:52 AM   #43
Caraptor

Watch: me save for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexertion View Post
That's actually pretty funny. It's taken for granted that you should go against the flow, and that you should strive to buy something unique that you won't see everywhere...
I guess I could join the "herd of individuals" and buy an Expy II!

"I'm an individual! Just like everyone else. "
Caraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:01 AM   #44
Dave_T26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660, 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
Redcalx has a point.

The SS Sub is the most recognizable Rolex and the most common. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sub. But the stainless version seems to be everywhere.

One of the reasons I am contemplating of selling my 14060 for a 16660.
Yes! Come to the ("Triple Six") dark side.

It's been a while since I saw someone walking around with a SD (excluding the DSSD)-- there are just so few SDs in the wild, compared to Subs.
Dave_T26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:06 AM   #45
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_T26 View Post
Yes! Come to the ("Triple Six") dark side.

It's been a while since I saw someone walking around with a SD (excluding the DSSD)-- there are just so few SDs in the wild, compared to Subs.
I dig my SD, and like to wear it on a NATO. I wonder how often a non WIS Sub wearer has glanced at it and thought it was a bad fake...
Old 9 April 2011, 02:06 AM   #46
Sub Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
What I like about the Sea Dweller is the "look" of a sub but its not a sub.
Great point... probably one of the reasons I got mine.
Old 9 April 2011, 02:16 AM   #47
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I understand your reasoning and now see why you went with the GMT and the Daytona that nobody else has.
Thanks for making my day!! Hilarious!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:18 AM   #48
Dave_T26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660, 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
I dig my SD, and like to wear it on a NATO. I wonder how often a non WIS Sub wearer has glanced at it and thought it was a bad fake...
Yep, perhaps thinking, "What a bad fake. That poor guy doesn't even have that date bubble thing on his Sub."

There are plenty of non-WIS Sub wearers don't even know what a SD is-- and that's even more true of late, since the SD was discontinued.
Dave_T26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:19 AM   #49
ohfivepro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many :o)
I love the Sub, but only the non-date. Not sure why I dislike the date version but I'm guessing because the non-date is the iconic original and there are other Rolex that have always had the date and cyclops. It also makes some people think of the non-date as a lesser watch, which it clearly isn't. Some watches don't need any extra additions IMO.
ohfivepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:25 AM   #50
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Ok as the Sub being my favorite watch of all time I guess ill have to comment. No need to say that the popularity that everyone seems to agree on is just a testament to its quality and legendary status, I think we all agree there. If it were junk or out of style people would eventually stop buying it. Over 58 years with very little change to its exterior its still the highest regarded sports watch to this day. When your a legend, your never out of style.

One thing I must address is that I do agree that a modern Sub can be seen frequently depending on where you live. For me my interest is in vintage Subs. Now tell me how many of you have seen a 6538, milsub, or Comex? Many will never see one in their lifetime outside of the internet. All the subs everyone is claiming to see, how many are vintage models?

If your a true Rolex WIS you differentiate each and every Sub and would never say seeing a 14060 is the same as seeing a 5513. Although to a non WIS a vintage sub may look the same as a new sub, the price difference may be well over 100k, not to mention how difficult it is to locate one even if you have the funds.

In the interest of respecting the hardcore Sub collectors lets keep this as (modern Subs) 14060, 16610, 116610 are as common as ducks.

You don't want Mike Woods to come in here and talk about how difficult it was to build his 200 piece vintage Sub collection...lol
Thank you!! It is nice to see some common sense here! I have yet to see anyone ever wearing a 6538 Big Crown, a 5512 PCG 4 line gilt, a 5513 Milsub, a 5514 Comex, a 1680 tropical red etc etc. Come to think of it I've never seen anyone wearing any of the watches I have - kind of like that though!!
Of course never have run into Mike W, Jedly, or any other of the vintage gurus at a restaurant to this day! You never know though!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 02:27 AM   #51
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Thank you!! It is nice to see some common sense here! I have yet to see anyone ever wearing a 6538 Big Crown, a 5512 PCG 4 line gilt, a 5513 Milsub, a 5514 Comex, a 1680 tropical red etc etc. Come to think of it I've never seen anyone wearing any of the watches I have - kind of like that though!!
Of course never have run into Mike W, Jedly, or any other of the vintage gurus at a restaurant to this day! You never know though!
Agreed, the vast majority of subs I see in the wild are 16610s....
Old 9 April 2011, 02:30 AM   #52
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I prefer any Rolex submariner to any of my ex-wives.
Fact & you can take that to el banco.
Old 9 April 2011, 02:52 AM   #53
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
Ahhhhh, you wise non-sub wearers!

I've never seen anyone else wearing one of these, ever.

Paracentesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:53 AM   #54
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
I'm a hater!!! I find that the GMT master is actually useful to me where as the sub is just another entry level sports watch from a well respected brand (ok, I'm ready for my lashings lol). Not to mention James Bond is a fictional character. I believe that true heritage is with the Paul Newman Daytonas. Plus everybody has one so I'm out! I would consider a WG slate serti tho because THAT would be out of the ordinary!
I find it very interesting that someone could hate a sub and love a gmt11 when they are so similar. It would almost be like saying I hate the BMW 328 but love the 335. They are far too similar to have such polarizing opinions IMHO. What difference does it make if one person likes a particular watch or hates it, as long as you like your watch it shouldn't make a difference.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 03:03 AM   #55
HL65

Quote:
It is good to believe what Rolex heritage is even if your time line is off by many years- as long as it makes you happy!! I never considered my Sub collection as entry level sports watches before- interesting. I guess I will just have to wear my old school PN's more often so I am not an entry level kind of guy. But then again- really could care less what anyone thinks not that anyone has ever noticed one of me watches - as they are all just old pieces of steel anyways!! Toodle loo....I'm out.....

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 03:06 AM   #56
Paracentesis
Banned

Quote:
I would consider a WG slate serti tho because THAT would be out of the ordinary!
I'd rather wear a Casio G-Shock than that watch. Seriously.
Old 9 April 2011, 03:15 AM   #57
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracentesis View Post
I'd rather wear a Casio G-Shock than that watch. Seriously.
James-
When did Rolex make a WG slate serti? I guess I missed that release. If you can find one let me know! or perhaps TKB can post a scan for us all!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 03:17 AM   #58
Paracentesis
Banned

Sorry, I was thinking of the Sub w/ Serti dial. Every time I see one, I get a little bit of sick coming into the back of my mouth.

Old 9 April 2011, 03:20 AM   #59
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracentesis View Post
Sorry, I was thinking of the Sub w/ Serti dial. Every time I see one, I get a little bit of sick coming into the back of my mouth.

I knew that too- champagne or slate! I am looking forward to seeing TKB post a scan of the WG slate serti though! Can't wait to see it - talk about a rare bird! Wow!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 04:21 AM   #60
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
I knew that too- champagne or slate! I am looking forward to seeing TKB post a scan of the WG slate serti though! Can't wait to see it - talk about a rare bird! Wow!!

first off, i expected the beating. thank you TRF for not dissappointing me.

second, "i'm a hater!!" is in direct response to the title of this thread.

third, I've never seen a WG Sub with a slate serti dial. I was saying that if that combo was available, I would consider it.

Finally, my post was my opnion. I enjoy a little bling as i'm sure some of you may know (looking at you Ken. we've talked about that GMT at the Wynn). just because the Sub is not on the top of my list does not say anything about the integrity of said timepiece. I find the GMT useful as i travel across many time zones. I would never use a Sub as i can't even swim.

....and i'm still learning about the history....maybe someday i will want a big red sub. one never knows.

WG DD Diamond Meteorite CC "Z"
SS DJ Tux Dial Roulette Wheel "M"
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote