The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 May 2011, 10:19 AM   #31
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Sorry to hear of your loss, but that is a great watch to remember him by! Follow all of the previous advice, definitely keep everything original! If you change anything (specifically the dial) the value would go down. I think it is worth a bit more than that offer of $2500, it's more in the range that Nikos suggested. Good luck, I think Andrew Shear would be a good person to contact but you should check out Bob Ridley.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 10:21 AM   #32
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer 2011 View Post
And instead of starting the same thread twice why not post better pics for more info, as many wise members have suggested?
Sorry about that. I didnt realize it went up twice.
sm70911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 11:22 AM   #33
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Info

So I just got off the phone with my mom. I could have saved a lot of time if I had spoken to her first, but then my dad was not something my mom likes to talk about. It turns out the watch was brought in Europe in 1972. My dad brought it used with another new Rolex for my mom. She says hers is a Rolex date ?. Apparantly my Dad was doing business in Europe and my mom was traveling with him. She said my dad had wanted a Rolex submariner date because Steve McQueen wore one, and when they were at the jewellers (she thinks either in Paris or Amsterdam but CR exactly) but because hers cost more than he could afford he got hers new and he purchased this used submariner for himself because the guy in the store told him Steve McQueen actually wore the one he bought, the 5512. My Mom said hers was the style worn by a lady in a Woody Allen Film and that it was all the rage in 70's NYC for a woman to wear a mans watch ?. I guess people were pretty influenced by movies back then
She was pretty emotional at the end of our chat, but she said she will send me some pics of her Rolex. She said she never sold it because she said it used to remind her of a fun time in her life and of me, (I was born in 1973). She said it also doesn't work, maybe I can send both watches for repair to Watchmakers. I see they repair all old Rolex
Did some googling and have some info in the 5512. We had 76 calls about my dads cars today and have been offered pretty amazing money for it so I think that's some money to the kids college fund and I hope to keep the Rolex.
Thanks again for all your help
Old 13 May 2011, 11:37 AM   #34
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Is this thread for real?

If so, it's pretty amazing to find a watch like that. To the original poster, there are so many online resources for you to learn more about the watch and you've already gotten a bunch of great advice. Keep us posted and don't sell off that watch for $2500.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 11:48 AM   #35
gtb5

Wow Rolex asked you to replace dial?? Thought they knew something about vintage issue!!
gtb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 12:03 PM   #36
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I say

this thread is familiar
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 12:18 PM   #37
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm70911 View Post
I hope to keep the Rolex.
Thanks again for all your help
Sorry for your loss.

I was quietly hoping this would be something you ended up keeping. Good for you.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 12:28 PM   #38
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb5 View Post
Wow Rolex asked you to replace dial?? Thought they knew something about vintage issue!!
The lady told me they replace all old dials because Tritium sp is radioactive or something like that.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:35 PM   #39
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
Looks legit...strongly agree to keep !!
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 06:08 PM   #40
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
The lady told me they replace all old dials because Tritium sp is radioactive or something like that.
Many people at RSC have no idea what they are talking about. The tritium on a watch of that age has degraded to a point where there is no real radioactivity left. These watches in original condition become highly collectible even though the luminosity on the dial is no longer active. In other words, it doesn't glow anymore. It might not be quite as functional, but it is
DEFINITELY more desirable.

Good to hear that you are thinking straight getting this one serviced, and your mom's Rolex serviced. It might cost you a little on the front-end of things, but it will be worth it in the long-run.........both financially and enjoyment-wise.

Please keep us posted.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 08:17 PM   #41
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
this thread is familiar
x2
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 11:07 PM   #42
sm70911
"TRF" Member

$$

My advice would be to spend the $80 shipping ($40 each way) to send it to Bob Ridley for a service estimate. He would likely charge a small fee for evaluation of the watch if you decline the service. It will likely be at least $1,000 to have it serviced.

I guess in all the excitement last night I didnt take this properly. It will be $1000 plus to get this watch serviced ? ... Thats quite a lot of $$
Rolex in NY said an estimate without seeing it of around $600 with additional fees for the dial and hands to be changed. I realize from the posts here that I should not go there
Does anyone know Tourneau. Its quite a big watch store in NYC, they do watch service, can they do this type of thing maybe for a bit less ?
TBH I have never even spent a grand on a watch let alone getting a repair done for that.
Old 13 May 2011, 11:37 PM   #43
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Quote:
My advice would be to spend the $80 shipping ($40 each way) to send it to Bob Ridley for a service estimate. He would likely charge a small fee for evaluation of the watch if you decline the service. It will likely be at least $1,000 to have it serviced.

I guess in all the excitement last night I didnt take this properly. It will be $1000 plus to get this watch serviced ? ... Thats quite a lot of $$
Rolex in NY said an estimate without seeing it of around $600 with additional fees for the dial and hands to be changed. I realize from the posts here that I should not go there
Does anyone know Tourneau. Its quite a big watch store in NYC, they do watch service, can they do this type of thing maybe for a bit less ?
TBH I have never even spent a grand on a watch let alone getting a repair done for that.
Tourneau has the worst reputation than virtually any other place! Bob Ridley is one of the best by far. If you are not ready to service wait until you have some funds for Mr Ridley.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:00 AM   #44
conrail
"TRF" Member

Trust me, and everyone else on this issue. Please do not take it to Rolex or Tourneau. I understand its $400 less. If thats a deal breaker for you, put the watch somewhere safe and send it to Bob Ridley when you have the funds (its not cheap at all, I totally sympathize w/ you!)

Bob Ridley is like A #1, he knows how to work on a vintage Rolex sportswatch. Rolex service centers DO NOT. Tourneau absolutely does not. You don't have to worry about additional fees for changing the hands b/c you shouldn't be changing them :)

I think a good course of action is to take it to Andrew Shear to get his opinion on it re authenticity, etc. And then to get it running again and possibly stabilize the lume, etc., contact Bob Ridley.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:25 AM   #45
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

You get what you pay for.
Spend a little money for some good old TLC and your watch's value is enhanced by it.
Or you can have one of those watches that will have replaced hands/dial/bezel/crown and that no one will want.
But, big ups for you for coming to this forum and asking the questions *BEFORE* you do anything.
Good luck and keep us updated!!
You are one lucky guy to have found this watch. My dad never left me anything.
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 12:38 AM   #46
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
SM....so sorry to hear about your loss.

Please listen to all of the wonderful people asking you to hold tight. As a newbie to this forum, they have saved me thousands of dollars worth of mistakes and senseless purchases. I, myself do not have the funds to purchase the timepiece I am searching for but the one thing I have learned most from the people here is patience. With that said, I have seen pictures of the results and listened to wonderful stories with regard to Bob Ridley. He seems to be the number one consensus when it comes to "spa" treatments for rolexes. Since you are in New York I have heard that Andrew Shear is also the person you'll want to discuss the authenticity with.

There is no wrong or right with regard to things that YOU want to do, but I trust and value the expertise from the many wonderful people that contribute to this forum and as a newbie I feel much more knowledgeable for that.

Pete
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:28 AM   #47
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can assure you that it will be > $2,000 to have it serviced at RSC in NY once the dial and hands are changed. The $600 they quoted you is just for the service. Trust me............I have been doing this for a while. BOB RIDLEY IS YOUR BEST BET. I realize that he is expensive, but he is comparable to Rolex Service Center (usually a little cheaper than RSC) and he is going to get your watch done RIGHT. There are other entities that can do the work, but you are not doing yourself any favors by trying to get a couple hundred off in the service/restoration. YOU TYPICALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Think of the $1,000 - $1,500 as an investment. The watch didn't cost you a thing, and will be worth several times that amount once it is finished. Rolex watches are just like cash........except our cash is being devalued, and Rolex watches are appreciating in value......especially one like you have inherited.

JMHO from someone that has been through a similar restoration.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 14 May 2011, 04:10 AM   #48
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Icon14

advice of the highest calibre. well done to you all.
Old 14 May 2011, 04:37 AM   #49
sm70911
"TRF" Member

news

OK Thanks again for all the input. I have spent a lot of time researching the Rolex 5512 and also the Steve McQueen connection. Its interesting because like McQueen my dad was Porsche nut too. He even gave me a Porsche 944 after university, of course it was re sold it the following year bcs he needed some cash ... pretty funny and classic dad, of course he was still driving his cars ;)
I have to say I'm astounded the McQueen watch sold for $200k+, i get it that he is an iconic guy but quarter of a million for a watch, wow.
My wife and i discussed it and we are sending the watch to Bob Ridley today, its actually pretty cool looking. My co worker says there is a colored option for the numbers ring which you can swap out, he said there is green and a blue one, and there is a matching blue dial version they made at the same time. Quite a few people came by my desk to see the watch today, one of our sales guys has a faked one, It looks pretty badly made compared to my dads watch.

Anyhow after looking at a lot of pics and the strap on my 5512 is different and now I realize that he sold it to Rolex and brought another strap. I'm wondering do you know if it's possible to buy this back from Rolex. My wife thinks we should get it back so the watch is as it would have been in the year I was born.
She is pretty excited and after chatting with my mom last night she has already started wearing my dads Sinn watch. Its not a Rolex but we found a lot of papers and a box quite a bit of communication with the factory in Germany and my dad. We googled the watch and figured out how to make it change time and the day date thing. When we checked the sinn watches online they are German and all the days are in German but It seems my dad was in Frankfurt in 99 and had the factory swap the German days for English. My wife says its the watch my dad was wearing when she first met him, and even though its pretty big on her, she thinks its a cool reminder of my folks and a connection to us. Pretty cool stuff.

If anyone knows who to ask at Rolex so I can get my dads strap back, that would be awesome.
Thanks again for all the help
Old 14 May 2011, 04:42 AM   #50
gqllc
"TRF" Member

The numbered ring around the watch is called a bezel insert. To the best of my knowledge your coworkers are wrong. For this particular model it should be all black (with the numbers a different color of course) not the blue/black that is for a GMT not your submariner. I also think your Dad's bracelet is long since gone. Others here will know better how you can source an original bracelet for that model and that year. Maybe Bob Ridley knows?
Old 14 May 2011, 04:50 AM   #51
sm70911
"TRF" Member

So what do they do with the old strap, do they sell it ? Reading about the McQueen watch, it has thin center links and is elasticated somehow
My mom is trying to find some pics for me of my dad and her with the watches, but she doesn't have a scanner. I will be out there in the summer so I can find it then.
Old 14 May 2011, 05:01 AM   #52
gqllc
"TRF" Member

I am not sure I have heard too many potentially awful stories of what they do with all those incredible vintage pieces! I suspect they destroy them but that is merely a guess
Old 14 May 2011, 06:01 AM   #53
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My co worker says there is a colored option for the numbers ring which you can swap out, he said there is green and a blue one, and there is a matching blue dial version they made at the same time.
Stay away from this co-worker. There is not a "green or a blue one" to swap out to. This watch came with a black bezel insert. To swap to a different color is not a good idea seeing as how the inserts that would come in different colors that would fit this watch would be fake.

Quote:
Anyhow after looking at a lot of pics and the strap on my 5512 is different and now I realize that he sold it to Rolex and brought another strap. I'm wondering do you know if it's possible to buy this back from Rolex. My wife thinks we should get it back so the watch is as it would have been in the year I was born.

If anyone knows who to ask at Rolex so I can get my dads strap back, that would be awesome.
Thanks again for all the help
The bracelet was not sold to Rolex. He exchanged it for a replacement 93150 bracelet and the original bracelet was almost certainly destroyed. It is not possible to purchase this bracelet from Rolex anymore.

It would be possible to purchase an original 9315 bracelet if you scour the internet, but it would likely be very worn and you would pay a premium dollar for it.

The 93150 bracelet is a very acceptable replacement bracelet. Many members with vintage watches on this forum have their watch on a replacement 93150 bracelet. If it were me, I would just keep it on this bracelet that it is on right now, and be happy with it.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 14 May 2011, 06:36 AM   #54
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

I am glad you're sending it to Bob. He will take care of your watch and treat it like a baby.
Your decision will reap many future rewards.

Probably source an expandable rivet bracelet on the "for sale" section.
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 07:13 AM   #55
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
My co worker says there is a colored option for the numbers ring which you can swap out, he said there is green and a blue one, and there is a matching blue dial version they made at the same time.
A little information can be dangerous.

I think your co-worekr is referring to the current Submariner models that can have a green bezel insert or a blue bezel insert with a blue face. These are different models and certainly something you would never do with your watch.

Good luck on your adventure.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 08:22 AM   #56
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Let this be your guide - - - WWSMD (What Would Steve McQueen Do). Suffice to say he wouldn't be caught with a green or blue or paisley bezel insert on his Sub.

He also wouldn't accept the first offer someone gave him for any of his possessions, unless he thoroughly researched it's value first.

Correct 9315 bracelets from the year your dad's Sub was manufactured do pop up for sale in the Market section of the Vintage Rolex Forum site (not affiliated with this site). They will be used, and pricey (figure $600 to $900 depending on condition with correct endlinks and clasp). You will be able to sell your 93150 bracelet for a decent amount, so the "swap" should only cost you several hundred dollars at most.

Congrats on having a nice Sub to remember your dad by. Do contract with Bob Ridley to get it back into fine running shape. He'll make sure it stays as original as possible.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 09:43 AM   #57
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Your coworker is a tremendously bad source of information. Remember the fedex commercial about the guy at work who gets everything wrong?
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 09:53 AM   #58
ddnyc77

I live in NYC as well and here is my advice 1) Do not bring it to rolex to change dial/hands or anything for that matter as that will reduce the value substantially, 2) Please don't let those guys in the diamond district rip you off if this watch is indeed what it seems to be.
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 10:03 AM   #59
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Having serviced 100's if not many times more than that Rolex watches in the last few years I will tell you right here that a standard service on a Rolex movement by an experienced Rolex parts account watchmaker is not $1000 not $2000 etc. I would say $400-$500 plus parts is what you should expect to pay from an independent Rolex watch maker with a parts account as a retail customer. Every watchmaker that still has his parts account has had to be re certified and do quality work. Parts do and can add up keep this in mind.My strong advise is if the watch is working dont mess with it. If you do decide to have serviced work directly with a watchmaker and not a middleman as all they do is mark up the service 2-3 times. Search the forum as there are Rolex watchmakers on this very site also. The Rolex service center option is always available also. I have had nothing but good experiences with both Rolex and independent watchmakers most of whom are very passionate about there work.

On a side note to all those that say Rolex wont service vintage or will ruin it etc. Its easy tell them what you want and be nice. I just bought a mint 5513 that Rolex NY serviced in March of this year and they did not recommend to change the original dial and hands as they were flawless.
The total came to $1950 with tax this included a new 93150 bracelet new price $1050 a service and bezel insert and crystal.
Not cheap but Rolex and with a warranty and service papers.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 11:48 AM   #60
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
If you want it done right, kept original send it down I personally own a totally original 5512 meters first gilt gloss 4 line myself and when I bought it I serviced it no detail just gaskets axle mainspring still has the original crystal. So if you want it done reasonable price let me know Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote