The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2007, 08:55 AM   #31
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post

And how would the extension link fit in a bracelet that is the same as that found on the new GMT C? Am curious. Seems to me that that would be the only upgrade worth anything.

Just MHO
Current GMTs and Submariners use different clasps, I'm sure that tradition would continue.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 09:13 AM   #32
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Quote:
ADs don't half talk a lot of old cobblers...
Now that is one cool turn of phrase. Can you explain what it means to this American? I think I get the gist of it, but I want to make sure. Sounds like it means something along the lines of "ADs don't necessarily know what they're talking about" but is so much more colorful.

I can't wait to use it in court.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 09:21 AM   #33
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
Now that is one cool turn of phrase. Can you explain what it means to this American? I think I get the gist of it, but I want to make sure. Sounds like it means something along the lines of "ADs don't necessarily know what they're talking about" but is so much more colorful.

I can't wait to use it in court.
Yeah, it's almost like "The AD's are not the men that will be blamed for nothing".

JtR

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 09:52 AM   #34
Senna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Rolex is going with a larger, heavier case as well as a beefed up bracelet and bezel. These changes due include the now current new GMT II ceramic.
I for one hope this is true!
Rolex have been left behind the times in terms of sizing trends in the watch market.

40mm watches were seen as pretty huge 20 years ago. Things have moved on somewhat! It's common now to see women wearing 40mm (my wife wears a S/S Daytona)

The whole sizing structure of the watch marketplace has gone upward and onward.

'Medium' sized watches now commonly hover around the 42mm mark with most high end sports watches starting from 44mm.

I bought a new GMT-C a couple of months back and have just sold it as it gets next to no wrist time. Their 'fake' new larger sizing via optical illusion didn't do it for me as the dial still looked tiny!

I confess that my three Panerai's ranging from 44 to 47mm are to blame for me getting used to larger watches on my wrist (not to mention my IWC BP) but look at the rest of the market and you soon realize Rolex are in a coma!

If Rolex's idea of 'beefing up' their watches is widening the lugs by a few mm I'm afraid they've lost the plot, along with many thousands of other old/new/prospective customers that own larger watches such as PAM's and IWC's.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm a big Rolex fan! My daily beater for many years was a submariner. I just think they need to wake up and see what's going on around them.

I hope 2008 sees Rolex getting it together!

Last edited by Senna; 7 October 2007 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Addition
Senna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 10:40 AM   #35
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
What I interpreted to original poster to say was that even the new GMT ll will be larger. And then that Rolex was disappointed with the design. I know I looked at one, and was not impressed with the morphing of the SUB design to the GMT. The large nautical crown looked affected to me, but I am a purist. My Ad has one and has had it on the shelf for a month...no buyers. MRSP is all they charge and no tax in Oregon.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 04:55 PM   #36
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Senna, Rolex keeps their watches at 40mm, as not too big not too small. HAs beent he right size of the last 50 years, and will be for the next 50 years.

IMHO, these larger 44mm and bigger watches are just fads. Moer favored by the "Hip Hop" crowd, and people wanting to "Show Off" their watches. Most of them look ridiculous on people's wrist, unless their wrist is 8.5 inches or bigger. Maybe the bigger watches are making up for something else that is smaller?

40mm will always be in style.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 04:58 PM   #37
leopardprey
Banned

As for Rolex being disapointed in the new GMT II - C. I find that hard to believe as it has been out now for a couple of years, in the Gold and TT version. Reviews from ADs I have talked to, is that it is in very high demand, and a sampling of what is to follow from Rolex.

Woody, Sorry to hear about your GMT problems. I would send directley to the RSC and let them fix. It is a great watch, but every now and then there will be flaws. Remember Rolex make close to 1 Million watches a year. I had a piece of lint stuck on the dial of my TT GMT II, and had to send it to the RSC for them to remove.
Old 7 October 2007, 05:02 PM   #38
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
It makes sense that Rolex would make major changes because 2008 marks 100 years that the company registered the name Rolex. I guess its as simple as that.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2007, 10:38 PM   #39
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Senna, Rolex keeps their watches at 40mm, as not too big not too small. HAs beent he right size of the last 50 years, and will be for the next 50 years.

IMHO, these larger 44mm and bigger watches are just fads. Moer favored by the "Hip Hop" crowd, and people wanting to "Show Off" their watches. Most of them look ridiculous on people's wrist, unless their wrist is 8.5 inches or bigger. Maybe the bigger watches are making up for something else that is smaller?

40mm will always be in style.

Old 8 October 2007, 01:43 AM   #40
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As for Rolex being disapointed in the new GMT II - C. I find that hard to believe as it has been out now for a couple of years, in the Gold and TT version. Reviews from ADs I have talked to, is that it is in very high demand, and a sampling of what is to follow from Rolex.

Woody, Sorry to hear about your GMT problems. I would send directley to the RSC and let them fix. It is a great watch, but every now and then there will be flaws. Remember Rolex make close to 1 Million watches a year. I had a piece of lint stuck on the dial of my TT GMT II, and had to send it to the RSC for them to remove.
Cheers - I don't want my money back and i don't want any other Rolex I just want a "no flaws" GMT11-C to accompany me on my travels for (hopefully) many years to come.

On a seperate point, I think you are right about the "size issue" - I have read a few recent "fashion" reviews and they are all talking about smaller vintage watches being the must have accessory - vintage Air kings and oyster dates could well be the watches to go for in the coming years. I know that I shall be loking for a nice clean example of either of these to wear with a business suit and as (hopefully) I nice contrast to the larger curvaceous look of the GMT11-C.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 01:44 AM   #41
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
So I guess from all this I should surmise that Rolex is going to increase its prices someday and will make its tool watches more like the disappointing but nevertheless hotselling GMT IIC

Got it.

Woody, I feel for you and hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.
That is a kind thing to say - many thanks.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 02:05 AM   #42
Senna

Quote:
In your expert opinion?

I was in the fashion business for 20 years. People are getting bigger/taller, sizing has changed tremendously over the years.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, what was outrageously big (Rolex sports models) in terms of watches 20+ years ago is now not so!

Look at cars. At any level from the humble VW Golf to the Porsche 911. 30 years ago the Golf was tiny as was the 911 40 years ago. Why has the size trend increased with multiple updates over the years?

I think we're going to see Rolex addressing the trend started by some of the other high end watch brands as they will not want to get left behind.

If I'm wrong, Rolex will continue churning out miniature sports watches. If I'm right, we'll probably see a 44mm submariner in the not too distant future....and I'll be first in line.

Quote:
IMHO, these larger 44mm and bigger watches are just fads. Moer favored by the "Hip Hop" crowd, and people wanting to "Show Off" their watches.
Er doh!
I think you'll find Rolex were one of the first manufacturers that realized people wanted to actually show off (rather than hide) their watches which is one of the reasons why they went bigger with 40mm in the first place. Pretty unmistakable in size as well as design!

Quote:
Most of them look ridiculous on people's wrist, unless their wrist is 8.5 inches or bigger.
In your opinion maybe, not for the thousands of watch fans wearing them.

Quote:
Maybe the bigger watches are making up for something else that is smaller?
Obviously you must be all out of things to say hence the insults?

Oh well, for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure) here's some shots of these hideously large watches you seem to dislike.
(Apologies to the mods in advance for going off topic with these shots)

PAM 287 Black Seal (44mm)

PAM-88 Luminor GMT (44mm)

The obligatory ride shot....(wow that watch looks way too big lol)

Can you handle bigger? 46.2mm and 47mm. Two absolute classics!!!

Old 8 October 2007, 02:07 AM   #43
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I think the ceramic line will hit all the sports models in time. I think it wil be an upgrade too.

Th older (current) models will take their rightful place in the Rolex linage and there will always be a demand for them too. Just hope parts will be around for a long time to come.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 03:03 AM   #44
JPP

Gahd I hope the Rolex sports models don't get any bigger. Bigger doesn't always equal better. And I'm sorry but the sizing has changed a lot argument doesn't work for me - I don't see many people sporting giant wrists all of a sudden. Giant bellies - yes. Wrists? No

I love the look of the faces of Panerai watches but they are ludicrously big and clearly a fashion watch.

And that's what I like about Rolex and why it has remained so successful for the past few decades - it's not a fashion brand. It doesn't follow trends - it SETS them. I hope Rolex remain true to their heritage. I mean the new YM II is revolting if you ask me. How is that a classic watch that will stand the test of time???

Big watches = bling.
Bling = all that is a turn off for people with an ounce of style and inherent classiness

Sound like a snob don't I?! And you know what - about some things - I am.

The most beautiful watches to me are those that are understated, elegant and quietly classy. A 44mm watch may be many things - but it's none of the above.

Just my HO
JPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 05:23 AM   #45
leopardprey
Banned

Well said JPP.

(BTW, in the USA sizes of cars has decreased, not increased).

If a watch lugs hand over the sides of one's wrist, then the watch is too large for said person.

Personally I believe Panerai 44mm and larger look ridiculous unless you have a very large wrist. Or as they were were initially designed, to wear over your wet suit of over arctic gear. Saw many in Asia, wearing 44, 45, 47mm PAMs, and it looked as if they were not wearing a watch, but a clock on their wrist.
Old 8 October 2007, 06:06 AM   #46
Moose

Watch: GMT I&II, TT Dayt
Eric (AKA Senna), beautiful pics of your collection! How did you get that Audi steering wheel on the wrong side

I like the big watches but I also like my classic 1675 GMT sized watch. It has always felt 'right-sized' for me. I will admit that it does seem smaller now than it seemed 25 years ago when I bought it. It was one of the largest watches out there back then. It competed with watches like the Cartier Santos back then.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 01:23 PM   #47
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna View Post
In your opinion maybe, not for the thousands of watch fans wearing them.
agreed...........! especially when many have voted with their dollars ......

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 06:52 PM   #48
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that Rolex deliberately kept their sports lines at 40mm. Seemed that Rolex designs their watches to last for generations, and increasing the size and weight would put undue strain on the bracelets, leading to more watches being worn improperly (as bracelets wear out) and thus suffering premature wear/damage.

Could be somebody's theory to justify Rolex's stubbornness.

I, for one, think my 16610 is the perfect size.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 07:03 PM   #49
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that Rolex deliberately kept their sports lines at 40mm. Seemed that Rolex designs their watches to last for generations, and increasing the size and weight would put undue strain on the bracelets, leading to more watches being worn improperly (as bracelets wear out) and thus suffering premature wear/damage.

I agree. IMO, the Rolex sport's watches have the IDEAL size. Don't fix what is not broken!

Old 8 October 2007, 07:49 PM   #50
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Thanks, bo!

Speaking of wearing out the bracelets--don't be skeered to take the plastic off that Daytona!
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 11:24 PM   #51
SLR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona B/W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
Don't fix what is not broken!
I don't much like the larger sizes either. I think the largest I could go is 42mm. For some with large wrists, i can see the appeal of a proportionately larger case but those people are in the minority (although the obesity problem in the US isnt getting any better). But I do hope Rolex doesn't follow the fad by increasing the size, their sizes are perfect now. Elegant and understated = classy.

I find myself eagerly awaiting Basel 2008 to see what's going to next on the agenda for Rolex. If I were a betting man, I'd say ceramic bezels, and polished center links with upgraded bracelets for SS Subs and SD's. I'm dreading the case size increase. I was kind of hoping the explorer would get a polished bezel, but we'll see.
Old 8 October 2007, 11:33 PM   #52
Senna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
I don't much like the larger sizes either. I think the largest I could go is 42mm.
As a long time Rolex wearer I used to feel exactly the same way. How can anyone comfortably wear anything bigger than a Rolex?

Well...... beware, once you wear a larger watch for a even a few days there is no going back.
Old 9 October 2007, 12:18 AM   #53
Senna

Quote:
Gahd I hope the Rolex sports models don't get any bigger. Bigger doesn't always equal better.
Nobody is saying they are but now that you mention it I'm sure the same was said about 40mm Rolex sports models all those decades ago when most others were producing 32-38mm watches.

We've now come full circle where Rolex who were once the innovators are now lagging behind a trend that they themselves quite possibly started! Pretty ironic IMHO!

Quote:
And I'm sorry but the sizing has changed a lot argument doesn't work for me - I don't see many people sporting giant wrists all of a sudden. Giant bellies - yes. Wrists? No
With respect that's just daft! I've not seen many 200 pound men with 4" wrists. Yes when people gain weight their waists take a large proportion of their size increase. You will find however that unless they're from Mars everything else gets bigger too (Neck size-shirts, legs, arms and yes wrists)

Quote:
I love the look of the faces of Panerai watches but they are ludicrously big and clearly a fashion watch.
Many thousands of Paneristi would disagree with you re your 'ludicrously big' statement but hey, I respect your right to form an opinion. We're here to discuss right?

However you are right about the word 'fashion' as they are up to the minute in terms of watch fashion trends. Which again is kind of ironic as they are simply re-producing their own vintage designs from the late 1930's. So old-new??? lol

Quote:
Big watches = bling.
Bling = all that is a turn off for people with an ounce of style and inherent classiness
Sorry that's just hilarious! Don't you realize that thousands of people think exactly that about Rolex and Rolex owners! We as Rolex owners will disagree with them but for you to make that statement as a Rolex owner is just daft IMHO!

Quote:
Sound like a snob don't I?! And you know what - about some things - I am.
I think we all are, in that many of us appreciate the finer things in life....nothing wrong with that!

Last edited by Senna; 9 October 2007 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 9 October 2007, 12:52 AM   #54
Ronnie Rolex

Watch: SS-P YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post

That would be what I wrote after talking with the Los Angeles Rolex Rep.
Ronnie Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2007, 01:12 AM   #55
leopardprey
Banned

Rolex watches were made at 40mm for a purpose, better viewing and to add rotating bezels.

Panerais were initially made large as well, to wear on the outside of a wet/dry suit while conducting military waterbourne operations. For easy veiwing.

I think Panerais are fine, if you are wearing them outside a wet/dry suit as they were intended for. Other than that, yeah it is my opinion, but when the lugs hand off the side of your wrist, the watch looks weird. 44mm or bigger Panerais are way to big for most of the general population.

Just cause so many people are wearing them, does not mean it is good fashion. Hell, suicide bombing and wearing suicide vest is the latest fashion in Iraq and many thousands have been doing it.
Old 9 October 2007, 01:43 AM   #56
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I have a larger diameter watch, my Ball Fireman. It's a simple military style dial with that awesome lume, and a shockproof/anti-magnetic case, and decent waterproofing. But I still prefer my Rolexes. They just feel better on the wrist. Don't get me wrong, the Ball is a fantastic robust and accurate timepiece, but it doesn't make me go mmmm....
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2007, 01:53 AM   #57
leopardprey
Banned

Even if a watch is really big, if that is what you like to wear, then wear it!

Wearing a watch should be want the person wearing it likes, not what everyone else likes or going along just with the latest fashion trend.

If you want a really big watch, check out Omega's XXLarge Railmaster!!!!
Old 9 October 2007, 02:07 AM   #58
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Big oversize watches with their fish bowl crystals and wide straps are a fashion style.. period.

Sure, as was said.."Many thousands are wearing them"....True of any fad.

However, many millions of watch owners are wearing their 39, 40 and 41 mm Rolex and Omegas..

To even try to compare a small segmant of "big watch wearers" who all want to look alike, to the millions who want a functional, yet elegant time piece is ludicrous.

But, hey...time will tell

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2007, 02:10 AM   #59
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Big oversize watches with their fish bowl crystals and wide straps are a fashion style.. period.

Sure??

Old 9 October 2007, 03:50 AM   #60
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I have to be honest....I was thinking of a new Pam Radiomir as my next watch but those photos have put me off a little bit.

I have a large wrist (matches my belly) but I think that these larger watches are just getting out of hand.

I agree with the comment that the larger watches are more of a 'bling' thing. As a thirty something, overweight, white, English lad trying to sound cool I can honestly say that the hip hop scene has always gone for the big time style. Think about your rappers with their gold/plat teeth or even Flavour Flav and his big timepiece (hanging around his neck).
I've worn an old OD for years now and I have really noticed the difference in weight when wearing my Sub LV. If these things get any bigger, we'll have trouble lifting our arms.

As the man from Denmark says "Don't fix what is not broken!"

And as the old ads used to say "Bo knows"

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote