The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2013, 11:51 AM   #31
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLindaPhD View Post
Wow. Close call. Lesson learned - no Maratac !
In Maratac's defense, the two thick straps I was using prior to the failure were from different companies; the grey (clockwork synergy) and maroon (maratac), both of which required some force to feed through the watch head. If you look at the grey and maroon straps above, you can see the wear from just one installation and removal a piece. The Maratac strap I was wearing at the time of the incident is actually very thin, some people might even call it "flimsy."

I think the lesson here is that it's probably not the best idea to use a nylon strap if it requires ANY force to install. I haven't yet ruled out straps, but I will be sure to only purchase/wear the thinner ones now.
mvmbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 11:58 AM   #32
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmbles View Post
In Maratac's defense, the two thick straps I was using prior to the failure were from different companies; the grey (clockwork synergy) and maroon (maratac), both of which required some force to feed through the watch head. If you look at the grey and maroon straps above, you can see the wear from just one installation and removal a piece. The Maratac strap I was wearing at the time of the incident is actually very thin, some people might even call it "flimsy."

I think the lesson here is that it's probably not the best idea to use a nylon strap if it requires ANY force to install. I haven't yet ruled out straps, but I will be sure to only purchase/wear the thinner ones now.
I think the best lesson to learn is to double check your spring bars when changing straps.

In regards to your earlier post, I think you should stick with your plan to go on vacation with a NATO. I understand the nervousness...but get genuine springboard from an AD and you'll be golden.

I'm going on vacation and wearing my new Gasgasbones strap. I won't give it a second thought.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 11:59 AM   #33
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Quote:
I am worried about getting sand under the Sub C bezel since I don't scuba dive, so I'd be spending a lot of time on the beach, and snorkeling from shore.
Just rinse it. Hold it under the tap and rotate the bezel while rinsing. No problem.
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:00 PM   #34
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Wow. I find myself walking away from drains or sewers in the street. Very happy you can recover. Scary. Thanks rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 02:34 PM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Two words... LUG HOLES!
How would this solve anything.
The spring bars could still fail and lug holes have nothing to do with the strap.

There's no way I would ever put my Rolex on a nato. It's either the bracelet or a Rubber B which has support for the spring bars.
I don't care what anyone says, the spring bars aren't engineered to support the weight in that fashion, but hey, it's your Rolex, drive on wicha bad self.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 03:26 PM   #36
Htab
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: To many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub4Life View Post
This is the exact reason why I only use the bracelet. I'm not comfortable with leather straps and/or NATO straps.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 04:02 PM   #37
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
How would this solve anything.
The spring bars could still fail and lug holes have nothing to do with the strap.

There's no way I would ever put my Rolex on a nato. It's either the bracelet or a Rubber B which has support for the spring bars.
I don't care what anyone says, the spring bars aren't engineered to support the weight in that fashion, but hey, it's your Rolex, drive on wicha bad self.
Lug hole cases use thicker springbars and are thus more resistant to bending. Only 100% sure way to avoid such failures is to weld bars into lug hole cases.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Whenever I swim in any open body of water I use a 4 ring Zulu from Maratac for safety. Never a problem with this set up or any of my earlier watch-strap combinations. These bars are either poor aftermarket or there was a very hard force placed on them at one point. No way you could wear a strap tight enough to bend 2 bars this way without losing your hand to gangrene.
Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:18 PM   #39
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Lug hole cases use thicker springbars and are thus more resistant to bending. Only 100% sure way to avoid such failures is to weld bars into lug hole cases.
they are also longer and extend further into the lug/case, which is safer, I think
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:33 PM   #40
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
Any one have a pic of a subc spring bar and a pic of 14060m to compare ? Lets see if a holes spring bar is thicker and longer than non holes spring bar.
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:57 PM   #41
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfps View Post
Any one have a pic of a subc spring bar and a pic of 14060m to compare ? Lets see if a holes spring bar is thicker and longer than non holes spring bar.
I too would like to see a comparison shot. I thought that the lug hole versions were thicker but I didn't know that they extended farther into the case. Another plus for the old school design!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 11:26 PM   #42
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfps View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...5&postcount=11

Old 8 April 2013, 05:21 AM   #43
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I too would like to see a comparison shot. I thought that the lug hole versions were thicker but I didn't know that they extended farther into the case. Another plus for the old school design!
The bars are thicker and longer. The ends nearly extend through and through the entire lug width. This nonsense about not using MARATACS and not using NATOs is just that.....Nonsense. I have been using MARATAC NATO straps on my drilled through lug Rolex watches Scuba Diving for years with hundreds of dives. However, the user must use common-sense. Replace the springbars regularly. Inspect them regularly. Don't use straps that are too thick for the case. I have never used those particular straps from MARATAC that are pictured, but if they are difficult to fit between the case and springbar, I personally wouldn't use them. For this reason, I do not use MARATAC ZULUs. They are difficult to fit between the case and bar when trying to feed it through.

It's like wearing a pair of shorts that is 2 sizes too small........You might be able to "fit" in them, but the button on the front is going to pop-off at some point while wearing them.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 10:19 AM   #44
cop414

Those pics are exactly what I wanted to see, I didn't realize that there was so much difference.

Jason, you replace your spring bars on a regular basis? How often do you do this, just curious. Is this something you'd recomend if not using a strap and always using the bracelet? It seems like the bars on the lug hole version watches appear to be a bit more robust than the others. I always thought that the only time I'd ever have the springbars replaced would be at regular service every 5-7 years.
Thanks.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 8 April 2013, 10:27 AM   #45
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Those pics are exactly what I wanted to see, I didn't realize that there was so much difference.

Jason, you replace your spring bars on a regular basis? How often do you do this, just curious. Is this something you'd recomend if not using a strap and always using the bracelet? It seems like the bars on the lug hole version watches appear to be a bit more robust than the others. I always thought that the only time I'd ever have the springbars replaced would be at regular service every 5-7 years.
Thanks.
Diving, I replace them every 2 years or less. I also inspect them for wear, defects, and any trouble spots before each trip diving. Spring-bars are cheap when you consider the cost of damage or loss of your Rolex. I also use replacement bars from Ofrei. High quality bars are of paramount importance. Rolex springbars are not a necessity for me.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 11:55 AM   #46
AnnemarieGirl
Banned

Quote:
Was walking home with a group of friends last night after dining out, when I heard a clanging thud to my left. To my horror, I see my LV head lying facedown on the sidewalk! My heart sank as I picked it up, but I was relieved to see that the sapphire was still in one piece.

Upon close inspection the only damage that is really noticeable are dents on the left side lugs. Looking at the spring bars I see that on both, one end is straight and the other is bent. Maybe I was wearing the RAF strap too tight which caused the spring bars to bend and pop out?

Will send the LV for a service and polish in the next few weeks, but psychologically I'm now a little afraid to wear any of my pieces. At the same time, I feel lucky because the damage could have been a lot worse!
Exactly the same thing happened to my Milgauss after only 2 months of wearing it from new. I haven't polished it and won't until it goes in for a service, which will be at least 10 years from now if I still have it! I am however disappointed that such a model would have pin problems. The AD said it wasn't tight enough from new, not what one expects. AM.
AnnemarieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 12:46 PM   #47
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnemarieGirl View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to my Milgauss after only 2 months of wearing it from new. I haven't polished it and won't until it goes in for a service, which will be at least 10 years from now if I still have it! I am however disappointed that such a model would have pin problems. The AD said it wasn't tight enough from new, not what one expects. AM.
Were you wearing it on oyster bracelet or after market strap?

I owned a Ulysse Nardin 1846 Marine Chronometer on which the pins would regularly loosen up, but luckily never failed completely. It was my first 4 figure watch, so I was naive to the concept of bracelet or springbar failure, yet very conscious of its condition at all times. A simple application of of loctite would have solved that problem.

Great info Jason. I'll admit that this being the first time I used nylon straps, I wasn't prepared enough to take the proper precautions. I will still use nylon straps, but will never force them, and will make sure to check the spring bars regularly. I think forcing the two straps and sleeping with said straps was definitely a contributing factor in this incident.

Too bad, I was really enjoying the way this combination looked, but I'm thankful the damage wasn't worse. I think instead of waiting a few weeks to send it in for service, I'll drop it off at the AD on Friday. I love my Sub Cs but can't be without the LV for too long and want it back asap!

mvmbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 08:41 PM   #48
Tiampuso

How tight we're you wearing it to bend the lugs? Geez!
Tiampuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 08:53 PM   #49
cop414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Diving, I replace them every 2 years or less. I also inspect them for wear, defects, and any trouble spots before each trip diving. Spring-bars are cheap when you consider the cost of damage or loss of your Rolex. I also use replacement bars from Ofrei. High quality bars are of paramount importance. Rolex springbars are not a necessity for me.
Good to know, I never thought of this but now I realize that the spring bars are probably the weakest link in the bracelet, strap, springbar case chain.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 8 April 2013, 10:32 PM   #50
metalsofwar

Watch: GMT2c
Luckily you haven't lost it. Lesson learned don't take it as self evident that it hold. Check and maintain it regularly.

M.
metalsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 02:08 AM   #51
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Close call! Glad things are pretty good.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 03:09 AM   #52
Grey.Coupe
"TRF" Member

Yow!

I will think about this the next time I am cruising down a country road with my wrist floating on the breeze...!
Grey.Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 03:17 AM   #53
Rodentman
Banned

Very interesting (and sad) story. In fact, today I am wearing my 47mm PAM on an aftermarket strap which I am breaking in. I thought it was too loose after the strap had conformed to my wrist and I went to tighten the strap one hole. The buckle popped off due to the springbar bending right in the center. That's really some weak stuff.

I emailed the vendor and asked for some heavier doody springbars. I will also stop at the AD to see what they have. Thankfully I was doing this on a pad of paper on my desk so the watch didn't sustain any fall. Now I'm chicken to wear these buckles. I'm going back to the screw in buckles, and I'll wear the watch loose rather than risk a springbar failure.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 03:41 AM   #54
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
Very interesting (and sad) story. In fact, today I am wearing my 47mm PAM on an aftermarket strap which I am breaking in. I thought it was too loose after the strap had conformed to my wrist and I went to tighten the strap one hole. The buckle popped off due to the springbar bending right in the center. That's really some weak stuff.

I emailed the vendor and asked for some heavier doody springbars. I will also stop at the AD to see what they have. Thankfully I was doing this on a pad of paper on my desk so the watch didn't sustain any fall. Now I'm chicken to wear these buckles. I'm going back to the screw in buckles, and I'll wear the watch loose rather than risk a springbar failure.
Doody.

Old 9 April 2013, 04:17 AM   #55
Rodentman
Banned

Heavy Doody is Howdy Doody's brother.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 04:48 AM   #56
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
Heavy Doody is Howdy Doody's brother.

Old 16 April 2013, 12:09 AM   #57
dbt001
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, Dad's 1600
I was incredulous when I first saw this, but after two weeks of wearing my new (to me) 5513 (with, I'm sure, non-Rolex pins) I replaced the pins and noticed one was bending, too. I got it head-only and have worn it on a thickish Horween NATO and a thinnish nylon NATO. I don't wear mine tight, so the only explanation I can come up with is that an overly-thick strap puts more pressure on the pins when torquing and twisting in everyday wear.

As for taking your Sub on vacation, I'm no metallurgist, but I would think if you bought a new set of genuine spring bars and wore them on a thinner NATO, you'd be fine. On the other hand, maybe it's the fact that NATOs torque more than bracelets that causes the stress, regardless of how thick they are. In the case of a bracelet, I assume it would be the end links that take the pressure, which a NATO distributes directly to the spring bars.

After all that, my gut feel is that genuine spring bars are the key. But obviously I'm just speculating. It would be great to have a larger sample size.
dbt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 04:39 AM   #58
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Whoa, lucky!
Old 16 April 2013, 07:36 AM   #59
montpyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV "HULK"
Holy I'm glad it's still in one piece....

ACTIVE MEMBER OF RED SOX NATION
montpyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 08:36 AM   #60
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
When installing a thick Nato strap it is imperative that you remove the spring bars. Otherwise, the pulling emay bend the spring bars.