The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2013, 08:16 PM   #31
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
i collect watches with in-house movements .
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 08:16 PM   #32
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

I have 2 goals in collecting:
1. To have at least one watch from every major Swiss manufacturer.
2. To have a at least one example of every major complication. So far I have chronographs, moonphases, perpetual calendars, a tourbillon, a 5 minute repeater (just can't see the expense of a minute repeater), an equation of time, a declination of the sun and even a watch with a sundial on it (Longines Cristobal Columbus). I still need a split second chronograph and a watch with a power reserve. No hurry, I've got time (so to speak).
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 08:17 PM   #33
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainring View Post
I'm sure most of you will just say buy what you like and that is easy to do. But I'd like for my collection to have meaning and value beyond just the cost of the watch. I'd be interested to hear your philosophy if you have one.
I must say that I'll have to go with "buy what I like" as it is indeed what I do, however, I must say that what I like can be pretty specific.

I usually lurk around watch forums, different websites and Ebay to look for watches. Sometimes, a picture will come up and I'll find this or that detail on the watch fascinating and beautiful (it can be something pretty simple or it can be a very specific detail). It can also be a few things I see on various watches and that I end up wanting on one or two timepieces only. I then start looking for the exact watch I want or, if I really can't find one, the best compromise.

I don't buy watches as status symbols and if it's a complicated timepiece I don't buy it because I need that specific feature, I still end up buying what I like but the process that leads to the purchase can be long and very interesting.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 08:18 PM   #34
Submarinerman1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 gmt, any sub
Rolex sports models-mostly subs though.
Submarinerman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 08:19 PM   #35
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I'd like to buy what I like but never impulse buying. I research the watch and look at it online and on my wrist over a period of a month or two. If i still feel the same amount of love for it when I first decided I wanted it, I would buy it. This way I would be more sure that it would get long term wrist time and not just a 1 month honeymoon wrist time.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 08:21 PM   #36
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
I don't consider myself to be a collector. Three or four watches is the most I've owned - more wouldn't get much wear. A Sub is the only constant. The others will continue to change over time.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
I started buying Rolexes because of their tool nature. Then as I got older and with a bit more $, started actually collecting them as a passion. Currently, starting to evolve to vintage pieces - where I believe many end up if they continue with Rolexes as a hobby.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 09:18 PM   #38
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I am focusing on buying what I like and will wear. Daytona's and subs right now. I enjoy wearing the MOP dials. I now am fortunate enough to have a nice watch for each of my sons and grandson when I no longer need one.
Old 15 October 2013, 10:53 PM   #39
bradiowausa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King
I like the classics - stainless sub date (aluminum), two-tone datejust, and air-king, which is one of the longest in production models. I guess that means 20 years from now I won't have anything rare though
bradiowausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 11:08 PM   #40
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I am relatively new to watch collecting and I don't really have a philosophy. Through trial and error, I've discovered what I like. I tend to keep watches that I think have a classic style like the sub, AP Royal Oak, etc.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 11:11 PM   #41
kymwatchlog
Banned

evergreen classic minimalist but a watch for every mood and occasion :)
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 11:15 PM   #42
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40
Been through the 'impulse' purchase phase.
Been through the buy more than a few watches per year phase.

Been trying extensively a number of different pieces lately, without hurry. This process actually teaches a lot.

Owning too many watches means that they don't get all enough wrist time. Therefore while I am moving up in the purchase value of the next acquisition at the same time I am also consolidating the number of pieces I own.

Frankly speaking I do not think that having more than 3-5 pieces gives something extra.

- One pure dress piece,
- one 'tool' in metal bracelet,
- one perhaps 'sports' with chrono function and leather bracelet,
- one vintage or a piece which holds sentimental value, and then
- a nice Frogman or whatever similar.

And these are already too many I would dare to say. So if one has to come in, one should in actual fact go.
Old 15 October 2013, 11:26 PM   #43
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainring View Post
I'd like for my collection to have meaning and value beyond just the cost of the watch. I'd be interested to hear your philosophy if you have one.
I think you are over thinking it.....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 11:44 PM   #44
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

I go back and forth on two different philosophies.

The first is to only have two watches. One dress, and one sport; which is why the two I have is a TT DJ, and a Hulk. I feel this is a modest and reasonable strategy.

The other strategy is one all gold, one TT, and one SS; that way I cover the basics.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 12:09 AM   #45
psv
"TRF" Member

No philosophy here, buy what I like and make sense to me.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 12:21 AM   #46
SixPak
"TRF" Member

I also don't put too much calculations into the collection. Just trying to have some diversity and having fun doing it. My taste changes over the years and one thing remains, the love and appreciation of timepieces.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 12:27 AM   #47
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Agree as others have said tastes are ever evolving...
At this point i prefer pieces that dont overlap too much...i had 5 divers at 1 point, after thinking about it, i sold 4 & kept my 16600 SD.

Also helps if the piece/ brand holds its value so it can be traded or sold if the time comes, so this tends to limit which brands i will look at.

Finally, if i dont wear it, it goes, regardless of collectibility or sentimentality, i dont consider myself a collector, i dont believe i can afford to be a collector as that would mean (to me) that my watches were sitting in pretty display boxes to be looked at and not worn.. I like to beat them just a little
Old 16 October 2013, 12:44 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My target in 2/3 years is to have 2 Rolexes, 2 APs, 1 Patek and maybe a Lange. But adjusting and updating the plan is half the fun so I'm in no rush.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 12:50 AM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I buy what I like, but what I like has to fit my lifestyle. A watch that goes with my hobbies and personality are always a winner. My watches are life long companions right there as I make memories with them. Landmark memories like using my Sub to time my wife's contractions with the birth of our children only wraps my watches in priceless memories. The older I get, the more I know what I like without any outside influences like trends or fashion. I buy watches as "keepers". I never flip watches or have a desire to flip watches.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:58 AM   #50
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Great thread!

A great question that I enjoy answering all the time. Personally for me my foray into watches began when my Mom purchased a Mickey Mouse Lorus watch for me when I was in the second grade... As the years progressed my first "nice" watch I purchased was a basic Movado in which I thought was the end all be all... Upon working and saving I knew I wanted something nicer and acquired my first Rolex (16200) on my honeymoon a few years ago in Hawaii... That purchase started my very slippery slope into this horology hobby...

Long story short I have ventured into almost all popular horology brands, however, what works for me and my lifestyle are the following brands... Rolex, Patek, JLC, Maurice Lacroix, and Jaquet Droz.

I feel that everyone should have at least one nice watch with a strap for work, one Submariner for everyday use, and a timepiece that holds sentimental value (marriage, birth of a child, promotion at work,etc.)

There is certainly more for me too add but it's past my bedtime

I like your horology philosophy Sam. It has some logic to it. Unlike mine which has no rhyme nor reason.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 01:04 AM   #51
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
I always loved watches and have worn them since I was a teenager. However, I always had a type of "poverty" mentality that "good watches" were reserved for the rich. I could afford a good watch, but it just seemed like that was something for the super rich people, not mere mortals such as myself. However, as time went by I got disillusioned with the standard watches such as Seiko and Citizen. I always wanted a Rolex. To me, it was the "end all be all" and it was my goal. But, I never liked the new ones. Even 20 years ago, I didn't like the news ones, but of course, now they are vintage and I like them. It's like cars with me, I will never buy a new one because I know the value they lose the minute they leave the lot. So, I always buy a car that is at least one year old or more but with super low mileage. I find that to be the best value.

I bought my first vintage WW2 era Rolex to combine my passion for WW2 history with my desire to own a Rolex. I fell in love with the mens and womens Rolex watches from that era all the way through about the mid 1990s. I still do not like the new ones. I find them to be over priced and since I have learned a few things here and there about fixing a mechanical watch, I prefer mechanical.

Having said that, I now wear my Tudor sub every day. I save my vintage dress watches for dress and am now getting the bug for a sub.

One thing I know for sure, it's a habit, hobby, addiction, that never seems to really go away though it may wax and wane. It just never leaves you.

Good luck. Create your own horology history. That's the fun of it all.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 01:07 AM   #52
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Not really a collector, and no real philosophy! I've always loved and been fascinated by watches, since I was a kid. Most I've owned at one time must be about 9 or 10. Rolex has been my favourite maker for many years, although I like and have owned or still own Omega, Heuer and others, like Bell & Ross. I've always liked vintage watches too, having inherited a 1942 Heuer gold chrono when I was 15, among others in the family. Decided a few years ago that, for me, life is too short to wear anything but vintage Rolex. That's my passion... and my illness!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 01:17 AM   #53
Rex312

Watch: GMT Master
Personally, I'm aiming for a well-rounded collection with various brands. I currently have a Rolex Pepsi GMT and a Tudor Prince Chrono (non-Tiger). My next purchases will be a Panerai (either 111 or 233, depending on how my year goes) and a traditional YG ultra thin dress watch. I feel like that is a good base collection with a watch for every occasion. Thereafter, it will basically be whatever watch I like at the time. Ultimately, I hope to acquire a YG DDII, at least one Patek, and maybe a Lange.
Rex312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 01:33 AM   #54
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

mo is bettah.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:01 AM   #55
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Not to end up broke

(Having not bought a new watch in two years I'm definitely due!)
Old 16 October 2013, 03:05 AM   #56
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
My philosophy is to keep telling myself that I have enough watches...then come on TRF and add a couple more to the "must have" list.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:11 AM   #57
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I need a philosophy?
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:27 AM   #58
Turbo23dog
"TRF" Member

At this point I have determined that having any more than three "good" watches would be too many. Others have cited wrist time (or lack thereof) being the problem with too many. For me, the sheer act of having to pick which one to wear adds more complication to my life than I need!!! So in keeping it simple, my philosphy is to limiit my choices to three good watches.
Turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:37 AM   #59
mgent
"TRF" Member

Its complicated......
- I need to maintain at a minimum 1-2 work watches, 1-2 weekend watches, and 1-2 dress watches...
- I buy what I like as long as the finances support it comfortably.
- If I have something I don't wear much, I trade it in on the incoming.
- I never buy just to buy.. I've bought as many as 3/4 in a year, and gone for 2/3yrs without adding any...
mgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:47 AM   #60
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

I work in the aviation industry, so my first watch was a GMT. Since, I have bought a two line 14060m. That so far is my collection, not much. It has though shown me that the GMT line is for me. I just love it. People will shake their head but I'm probably going flip my sub and focus solely on GMTs. TT ones, black ones, Pepsi ones, gold ones etc.

I love the history, the look and it's usefull and means something to me working in aviation.

I want to be the Mike Woods of GMTs. Muahahaha!!!!

Ok, I can't swing that financially but GMTs are where it's at for me.

My grail? Peruvian airforce Blueberry GMT.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote