The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2013, 01:50 PM   #31
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Thank you for the WONDERFUL thread
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 02:06 PM   #32
seadubs
"TRF" Member

I own an Orbita but I dont really use it :-/
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 02:10 PM   #33
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
Imagine if you own a big watch store. Too bad if you work there and you have to winding each watches. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Yeah, that would suck.
Sign me up for that job when I retire... beats being a greeter at Walmart!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I only have two Rolexes so it's fairly easy to keep up. Don't have a winder and never will. My EXPII is my daily wearer and my DJ sits at the ready on my dresser if/when I want to wear it, usually about twice a week for dress-up or "just because". I give the DJ a full wind every other day and check the time for accuracy once a week or so and change its position as needed. No science nor magic in my method....just what I do.
Old 27 November 2013, 03:21 PM   #35
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
This is a very simple matter......just follow what Padi says, the man knows.
Old 29 November 2013, 03:04 AM   #36
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
This is a very simple matter......just follow what Padi says, the man knows.
I only recently relized Padi was a man. I thought for years it was a girl becuase of the account name padi. I agree this Man does know his stuff still thinking it is a girl got to get that out of my head.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 03:32 AM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete32 View Post
I only recently relized Padi was a man. I thought for years it was a girl becuase of the account name padi. I agree this Man does know his stuff still thinking it is a girl got to get that out of my head.
I can assure you I am a man with the same name as yourself Peter, PADI stands for Professional Association Diving Instructors.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 03:51 AM   #38
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

I love reading the watch winder threads. They always stir up a good discussion in terms of the differing opinions both for and against them. I think both sides are actually correct. If you like to use them then go for it but certainly not required.
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 02:38 PM   #39
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
A couple of issues..

Please point me to the: 'How to store your Rolex' page in any manual.
Please tell me how long my Brand New Rolex has been sitting unworn, unwound since leaving the factory to my wrist....

Anyone?

Didn't think so.

So common sense prevails I suppose? A little movement here and there is a good thing...? perhaps. But bare in mind these tiny inner movement pieces which rub on one another (is the wear from not running perceivable in any way?), the minute (if even measurable) amounts of lube which one worries about drying up...really...?

Those members who own Rolex which are ten years older (or more) please chime in and tell us your storage habits and the effects those storage habits have had on on the reserve/accuracy/service-needs of your Rolex.
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 11:19 PM   #40
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
I like keep all my watches running, I wind the ones I am not wearing every morning about 40 turns of the stem. Some times they run down if I miss a day or two, not a big deal. I check them against the Naval observatory clock one a week and readjust if necessary.
I have seven watches in the stable and it takes a just few minutes to wind them. Putting a watch in a winder will take longer. Winders a just a waste of money IMHO.
Old 30 November 2013, 12:04 AM   #41
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomallen View Post
I like keep all my watches running, I wind the ones I am not wearing every morning about 40 turns of the stem. Some times they run down if I miss a day or two, not a big deal. I check them against the Naval observatory clock one a week and readjust if necessary.
I have seven watches in the stable and it takes a just few minutes to wind them. Putting a watch in a winder will take longer. Winders a just a waste of money IMHO.
Yes to keep 7 watches going on winders will cost quite a bit up front and take up a fair amount of space. Agreed it is probably not a good way to go for all 7 pieces.

No, manually winding 7 watches with 48-hour range power reserves over the course of a year is NOT faster than grabbing a watch off the winder and slapping it on your wrist ! ! ! That is EXACTLY the value a winder delivers to it owner and that benefit is indisputable ! ! !
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 05:01 AM   #42
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I use a winder for my calendar watches. I like waking up in the morning and grabbing anyone to wear and not have to set or wind. I use a Wolf and do not hear the winding.
Old 30 November 2013, 05:15 AM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am a forum member with the only empirical evidence that has kept a Rolex Sub running non stop without service for 15 years. My TT Sub has been kept running non stop for 15 years with no regular service. The watch was either on its Orbita winder or on my wrist. I sent it in for its first routine service at the 15 year mark to Rikki. The after performing flawlessly for 15 years, needed nothing and required no additional parts. The watch kept great +4 seconds time for the entire 15 years.

So routine service theory and winder theory is addressed with empirical and well documented evidence all in one case. I am not trying to sell you needless routine service or a Watch winder. Form your own opinion.

Old 30 November 2013, 01:17 PM   #44
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I am a forum member with the only empirical evidence that has kept a Rolex Sub running non stop without service for 15 years. My TT Sub has been kept running non stop for 15 years with no regular service. The watch was either on its Orbita winder or on my wrist. I sent it in for its first routine service at the 15 year mark to Rikki. The after performing flawlessly for 15 years, needed nothing and required no additional parts. The watch kept great +4 seconds time for the entire 15 years.

So routine service theory and winder theory is addressed with empirical and well documented evidence all in one case. I am not trying to sell you needless routine service or a Watch winder. Form your own opinion.
A watch winder is likely irrelevant after 15 years...

You state; "I sent it in for its first routine service at the 15 year mark..."
- a routine service after 15 years of service...routine..? Huh..??
- if "the watch kept great +4 seconds time for the entire 15 years."......then please explain why you sent it in for your *routine* service??
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 01:52 PM   #45
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete32 View Post
I only recently relized Padi was a man. I thought for years it was a girl becuase of the account name padi.
Would that not be spelled 'Patti' if the member were a woman?

Padi is not just a man, around TRF Peter is THE MAN

Thanks again Padi for your contributions, on screen and behind the scenes.
Old 30 November 2013, 01:58 PM   #46
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I am a forum member with the only empirical evidence that has kept a Rolex Sub running non stop without service for 15 years. My TT Sub has been kept running non stop for 15 years with no regular service. The watch was either on its Orbita winder or on my wrist...... Form your own opinion.
Thank you, that seems to be a record of sort for continuous action of the Cal. 3135. Very impressive.

I understand a guy with a ton of watches can't justify winders for all, but the mere fact that I can grab my Datejust and slap it on and go is a luxury that I cannot live without, much like we all got used to having a TV remote control.

I have tons of watches in rotation and few are running most of the time. So when I grab them I have to set the time and possibly day or date. Frankly to me, having to set them is just plain a pain in my backside. I guess to others its some sort of satisfying activity. God bless you all if that description fits. I'm just glad a couple of my automatics can be grabbed at any time without all that hassle.
Old 30 November 2013, 02:07 PM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Forum peer pressure. In hind sight, I shouldn't have.

Without being redundant, read the original discussion on the topic.
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=Rolex+service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post
A watch winder is likely irrelevant after 15 years...

You state; "I sent it in for its first routine service at the 15 year mark..."
- a routine service after 15 years of service...routine..? Huh..??
- if "the watch kept great +4 seconds time for the entire 15 years."......then please explain why you sent it in for your *routine* service??
Old 3 December 2013, 07:33 AM   #48
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
I leave my car running 24/7 90 straight days here in the desert during June, July and August cause the air conditioning needs to stay on.

Sent from.....
Most car manufacturers suggest running the a/c at least once a month to keep the innards lubricated...