The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 April 2014, 06:34 AM   #31
tom_hanx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I lived in Versoix, and worked in Geneva in 1989/90. Long time ago! Beautiful city.

I meant the benefits in general, not specifically regarding vintage watches.
Ironically, there's not a lot there, for the 'home' of ROLEX. Ponti is one dealer I know of, but he's pricey…
Laurent and I know each other - he has on multiple occasions offered to buy my watches for peanuts and then sell me some of his for a premium. He is a spoilt and lazy cat (please read this with a wink for Laurent, I only have friendly envy for the kind of watches he has). There are a few small watchmakers but no one with the boxes or knowledge to go to for a SD vs Sub on the wrist visit and chat. No Burlington Arcade, either... Zurich is flush with banker boys who wave their cash at anything glitzy, but it is 300+km too far for a stroll...

All being said, I need to draw myself a to-do-list for the next trip to London: Marcus Watches is on it all times, then Burlington Arcade to take a look and feel the "hefty" SD or "snug fit" of the Sub. History and stories considered, the 1665 does lure me more but this is superficial and not in-the-metal experience.

Thank you for the tips and ideas, fellas - very much appreciated!!!
tom_hanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 07:50 AM   #32
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Good luck in your quest. My advice would be to take your time and and wait for the right watch when have have your final choice zero'd in. Buying vintage is different ball game compared to contemporary acquisitions. If you are Vintage buying in London W1, you will be paying top money.
Looking forward to an update.

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 03:55 PM   #33
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Avoid Burlington Arcade unless only looking. They will take you for twice the 'usual' price on anything, even with a permanent '25% discount'. And rude, IMO.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 04:32 PM   #34
tom_hanx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH13GMT View Post
Good luck in your quest. My advice would be to take your time and and wait for the right watch when have have your final choice zero'd in. Buying vintage is different ball game compared to contemporary acquisitions. If you are Vintage buying in London W1, you will be paying top money.
Looking forward to an update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Avoid Burlington Arcade unless only looking. They will take you for twice the 'usual' price on anything, even with a permanent '25% discount'. And rude, IMO.
Thank you for the encouragement, gents. I should have specified that I will only be *WINDOW*shopping in London I remember on few occasions passing by store fronts flooded with vintage Rolex with their years listed like concourse badges. Should be easy to have a 1665 and a 1680 tryout against a 1655 within walking distance.

When I reach the shopping end of the journey I'll be heading to HQ Milton, Steve Mulholland (apologies if spelling is inaccurate), or Jed. Speaking of Geneva "benefits" - I'm well connected with most watch journalists and bloggers in the US, so arranging the US pickup and consequent transfer to Geneva is easy.
tom_hanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1970s vintage rolex , 40th anniversary