The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2014, 12:34 AM   #31
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
One thing I do think is that it will increase "wrist awareness" I bet more people will be looking at wrists to see if they've got the iwatch...

Other than that, I'm just not interested at this point. I mostly use Apple gadgets everyday and I would like to see the new product, but it will never fully replace my mechanical collection.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2014, 12:41 AM   #32
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I follow the MacOS and iOS blogs during my commute. I have heard no one state how any of these "smart watches" with touch screen will survive going underwater, function underwater, and, have a crystal/screen thick enough to handle normal outdoor bangs/scratches, yet still work as a touch screen. I also don't see how a "smart watch" can run days out on the trail, boat, etc without being tethered to some sort of battery or electrical outlet.

Sure I'll be wowed on September 9 because of the rumored technological advances, but I don't see how any of these "smart watches" will replace a reliable mechanical timepiece out in the wild.
Old 9 September 2014, 12:43 AM   #33
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
Tissot has a touch screen that performs fine underwater, albeit to it's recommended submersion rating.

In the end I'll say this. I worked with guys who had the electric watch. After two months they all wanted a mechanical time piece. The iwatch has it's market, however the mechanical watch will ensure forever.
Old 9 September 2014, 12:59 AM   #34
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Nope.
Old 9 September 2014, 01:16 AM   #35
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
iWatch, I won't. Every time I pull my iPhone from its holster and use it I think how obsolete it is next to the Samsung offerings that the rest of my family own. Frankly I've got no use for Apple products of any sort. Give me a Window 8.1 touch screen computer or tablet and a mechanical watch any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I think Apple lost its drive when Jobs died and that the iWatch is a boondoggle. The iPhone was a game changer but now that the game has changed they desperately need another one and the iWatch just isn't it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2014, 01:30 AM   #36
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
It may not be the last day to sell our mechanical watches, but perhaps it would be a good day to consider investing in semiconductor companies that make chips for wearable technologies. This isn't the place to make specific stock recommendations (and neither am I making recommendations via private messages or email, for that matter), but a quick Google search in that regard may be worthwhile.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2014, 01:32 AM   #37
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

More wishful, perhaps even delusional talk from Apple. Apple needs to go up on the Mountain to get focused again. As much as I like Apple products, they are without a focused leader.
This idea will fail for the same reason the general public doesn't wear a watch for purely function. The time is on your phone and the phone has become a intimate tool of daily life. A huge part of that interface is the screen and the smart watch can never physically replace that so it becomes a clever but useless toy for teenagers.

I'm sure Steinway was quaking in their boots when the Casio keyboard was introduced....
Old 9 September 2014, 04:32 AM   #38
smartson
"TRF" Member

Its a very bold statement John made. Well, I am interested but my mind is already made up. Although I will be equally happy if Apple is able pull off the magic to prove me wrong.

EDIT: On second thought, if I have to choose between iWatch and a sub-1,000 quartz watch, or a fake, iWatch will win always.
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2014, 04:37 AM   #39
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
iWatch, I won't. Every time I pull my iPhone from its holster and use it I think how obsolete it is next to the Samsung offerings that the rest of my family own. Frankly I've got no use for Apple products of any sort. Give me a Window 8.1 touch screen computer or tablet and a mechanical watch any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I think Apple lost its drive when Jobs died and that the iWatch is a boondoggle. The iPhone was a game changer but now that the game has changed they desperately need another one and the iWatch just isn't it.

You sure do have a lot of comments on something you haven't used or seen yet... Unless you have, which I stand corrected. I think we need to see what all the hype is about before casting too many stones.

Side note, I learned a new term today "boondoggle". Thank you for that.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2014, 11:59 PM   #40
Degas
"TRF" Member

"The enduring appeal of mechanical watches"

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/0e850...#axzz3CpJyTIVw
Degas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 12:10 AM   #41
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Why would I sell something that works perfectly well for the task it was designed for?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 12:18 AM   #42
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Marketing hype and fluff, same way petrol cars were doomed once we had electric.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 12:22 AM   #43
ale70
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
One major problem...let's see a smart watch passed from generation to generation. Each version will be obsolete in2-3 years, it's the way of modern technology.

2-3 months also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 September 2014, 12:49 AM   #44
Jeronimo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Well, if it was to be like that I believe we all would have stopped wearing a watch altogether, since we carry a clock in our cellphones...

Furthermore I can't escape the feeling of redundancy of having two devices, smartphone and smart watch, to perform the same tasks, isn't it?

I understand the gadgetry appeal of having multifunctions on your wrist, but is it so difficult to take the phone out of your pocket and look at it? Are we becoming that lazy?

I am convinced that our beloved mechanical pieces will be here to stay, at least as long as people can understand that an object that will bring long term joy is better than something that will only provide immediate and short lived satisfaction...

Jeronimo
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 01:00 AM   #45
The Submariner
Banned

Watch: Guess?
A woman I know said to me recently that her and her friends are secretly leery of any man who wears plastic devices on their wrist. She said there is nothing sexier on a man than a real watch......

I'll go with that...
The Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 01:10 AM   #46
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't believe the hype!
ltmgeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 03:03 AM   #47
smartson
"TRF" Member

Damn it, the more I think about it, the more I think it is possible.

Looking back at the quartz watch revolution, although it didn't replace mechanical watch, it did disrupt and caused a crisis to watch industry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_crisis. As a result, it popularized the watch market and mechanical watch survived and strove in high-end segment.

On that note, wearable should have the ability to disrupt low end watch segment. I will be happy to see some brands go, particularly those who make cheap products by shamelessly copying others.
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 03:20 AM   #48
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I only hope they've paid enough attention to detail to make sure the Apple on the crown is properly aligned when it's screwed down.

At this point in the proceedings I'd imagine Casio is more nervous than Rolex. I'm sure there are some division managers at Swatch Group like Swatch and Flik Flak who will not be sleeping well, though I doubt the Omega guy is one of them.

-----
It seems to me that if anything the smart watch will expand the overall market, especially in regard to young people, and should be a good thing for the prestige brands. A timepiece like Rolex isn't an entry level watch but more of an aspirational purchase so more people wearing watches should prove to be a positive in the long run.
Old 10 September 2014, 03:20 AM   #49
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Rubbish
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 03:33 AM   #50
Rolexfan11610
"TRF" Member

I'll stick with Rolex. Any technology watches will probably range from $200 and up but after a year or two. Apple will launch the iWatch2 and the the iWatch2s and by then they will be worth $50 bucks and with Apple ios it will be slow as heck... No Thanks
Rolexfan11610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 03:53 AM   #51
petee1997
"TRF" Member

I own three Rolex watches, the last one being the BLNR. That being said, I can hardly wait for the new iwatch if it eliminates carrying my iphone all the time.

If the watch is the hot point for the browser in my car, that means messaging and email can be read on the larger car screen. Then of course when out of the car, I will have the Dick Tracy phone on my wrist. The new iphone 6 with the larger screen may eliminate my tablet. That will leave my lap top for serious work.

Looking at anyone under 45, a regular watch will go the way of the steam engine. Mechanical watches will only be a piece of obsolete jewelry worn by old people.

This is a great time to be alive.
petee1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 04:28 AM   #52
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
I have to admit, although I am skeptical, I will be getting an apple watch. I just need to know what its all about. Will i sell my rolex's, HELLS NO.
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 04:33 AM   #53
Horology.life
"TRF" Member

As much as I love apple products, they're is no way, I would replace any of my mechanical watches and wear the 'apple watch'
I have an iphone, I don't need or want one on my wrist!

In my opinion nothing will ever be able to replace a mechanical timepiece that can last a lifetime and longer.
Old 10 September 2014, 06:10 AM   #54
bighaole
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II + Daytona
Someone earlier said, "different markets" and I think that's exactly right. I was just following the CNN thing on Apple's announcement. The key is, it isn't a "smart watch" in the way that the current smart watches are just watered down smart phones. Apple made a new interface device, with new sensors, new input devices, and new output devices. So while it can do some "smart phone things" on a watch, it's really more about the different inputs it can gather (biometric, pressure sensitive touch, and the crown) and different outputs (it has additional shake modes to tell you information, without you having to look at the screen).

Don't think of it as a watch replacement, think of it as a wrist I/O device.

And that being said, I'm not swapping my Daytona for one anytime soon.
bighaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:18 AM   #55
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Here it is...

http://www.apple.com/watch/design/

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:25 AM   #56
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Or rather here it isn't. Apparently Apple's big announcement today (yawn) was that the watch won't be available until 2015. And you need an iphone for it to function.
Old 10 September 2014, 06:39 AM   #57
Degas
"TRF" Member

Last day to sell all your watches!

Well, after Apple's announcement I think the value of my mechanical watches just increased ..
Old 10 September 2014, 06:43 AM   #58
carreramay
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I wonder how many of geeks are going to fork over the $$$ for a rose gold Apple Watch that will be obsolete in a couple years. This is going the way of the Lisa.
carreramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:46 AM   #59
Degas
"TRF" Member

Take your pick...

http://tumblr.hodinkee.com/post/9707...t-flint-center
Old 10 September 2014, 06:50 AM   #60
Jeffex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub & Daytona
Quote: