The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2015, 02:34 PM   #31
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Bracelet! The RO bracelet is one of the best out there period. Better than the oyster and nautilus bracelets.
Old 15 January 2015, 03:29 PM   #32
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

I recently tried on a full gold bracelet 15400 and contrary to what everyone says I was underwhelmed at the bracelet. The height of the links was too thin, no easy adjustment option and the closure seems just okay as I'm not a fan of that style clasp.

The finishing is amazing though albeit completely prone to wear because of the finishing.
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 04:23 PM   #33
kb24
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC 26320 Black
Get the SS over the RG because I too was confused with the same question while deciding on mine but the bracelet of the RO is the highlight and you won't get sick of it at all..

I went for the ROC so I chose the black dial however if I were going for the RO then I'd choose the Blue dial which is mesmerizing.. the black is very good as well.. it's just what sings to you more. 2k usd shouldn't be the topic of discussion.. think of it as a long term investment.
Old 15 January 2015, 04:31 PM   #34
Sevada84
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/AP RO/SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICARDOVASCO View Post
I wish it was possible but no way. Its possible only if I use an alternative strap. Not original one. I wouldn't do that so.

Thanks anyway.
Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've never cared if someone had an original or alternate strap on their watch. A leather strap is a leather strap to me.... As long as it goes with the watch, it's all good. Put the money towards what's important... The watch itself and the bracelet!

I tried on a meteorite dial Daytona on a blue alligator strap.... Man what a beauty!
Sevada84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 08:04 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thats amazing Neil! I do prefer the no chrono one for the SS 15400 but this one is perfect! I just need the black dial because the white Daytona lol. Do you think its possible to put a brown leather strap on a black RG ? I only see the black with black but I don't like black straps.
Thanks, a brown strap would work fine.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 09:12 PM   #36
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada84 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've never cared if someone had an original or alternate strap on their watch. A leather strap is a leather strap to me.... As long as it goes with the watch, it's all good. Put the money towards what's important... The watch itself and the bracelet!

I tried on a meteorite dial Daytona on a blue alligator strap.... Man what a beauty!
The problem is not if the strap is genuine or not. The main question is the fixation which is different when the Daytona comes with leather. The SS Daytona hasn't the link fixed on the watch as the gold one. Im a little picky about these details lol

You can see here:

Daytona WG genuine:
http://robertmaron.com/images/P/waRX116519WG01-01.jpg

SS Daytona with leather strap:
http://www.portero.com/media/catalog..._mg_9147_1.jpg
RICARDOVASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 10:41 PM   #37
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Better yet...

That is absolutely amazing......
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 10:48 PM   #38
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Yep. Im soo inclined to get the black one. The silver is soo close to my Rolex and the blue which is my fav one costs more only for that detail "boutique only". Even used, people take advantage about that and charge 3k more than the black. Is the price at the boutique different from the blue to the black or silver?
Strange about the premium charged for the blue dial, I swear I was offered blue black and silver dials at the same price by the AD when I purchased my 15400st.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 12:35 AM   #39
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Strange about the premium charged for the blue dial, I swear I was offered blue black and silver dials at the same price by the AD when I purchased my 15400st.

They all list at the same price, but blue is now boutique only and sells for more in the resale market.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 09:53 AM   #40
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Hi guys. Just to know. If the 15400 got scratched it can't be fixed? I mean, the material of the watch is brushed so I have no idea how to fix a scratch . Is there any polish method which turns the watch as new again and genuine style?

Thanks
Old 16 January 2015, 10:49 AM   #41
Sevada84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys. Just to know. If the 15400 got scratched it can't be fixed? I mean, the material of the watch is brushed so I have no idea how to fix a scratch . Is there any polish method which turns the watch as new again and genuine style?

Thanks
Yes, there are pads and brushes that you can use to reproduce the brushed process from AP. Just depends on your comfort level in executing that type of repair. These would be for light surface scratches/scuffs. Anything deeper than that I would send it into the service center.

<-- mechanical engineer (if you need my credentials)
Old 16 January 2015, 11:44 AM   #42
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, there are pads and brushes that you can use to reproduce the brushed process from AP. Just depends on your comfort level in executing that type of repair. These would be for light surface scratches/scuffs. Anything deeper than that I would send it into the service center.

<-- mechanical engineer (if you need my credentials)
Thanks Sevada.

Im asking just in case if I buy an used one with some little scratches.
Old 16 January 2015, 11:44 AM   #43
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

2 more questions :

1) is it possible to replace the 15400 ss bracelet for the leather one ( I do like the SS one but just curious about that).

2) Is it possible to buy the 15400or and then buy a RG bracelet ? How much does it cost separately ?
Old 16 January 2015, 12:40 PM   #44
Sevada84
"TRF" Member

There's a conversion kit that fits a SS 15400 that you can pickup from APBands.com ....haven't seen the parts in person, but it seems like people have given it good reviews for its quality. It's $439 for the kit on their website.

http://apbands.com/shop/merchant.mvc...roduct_Count=2
Old 16 January 2015, 12:53 PM   #45
jw0n
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is fantastic. When I see someone wearing one in a restaurant, my gf complains that I can never stop staring.

Not everyone can pull off gold. Get opinions (not from your salesperson!), and pick between steel or gold. For me, it is only the blue dial.

Good luck!

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 05:40 PM   #46
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Hi all.

I got a Daytona SS, white dial V serial and would like to buy a dark dial watch. I really like the 15400 ( actually I tried on the 15300 in St. Barth. It was ok but I think I need the 41mm). Im between the 15400 blue or black dial ( blue dial would be my choice but its like 2k usd more expensive. Not sure if it worths) or 15400or ( black dial with brown leather strap if possible. Do you guys know if I can replace it easily?) . Daytona was always my "dream" especially the white dial which was soo rare in 90's... anyway ,nowadays I only wear the Daytona for day time.. beach places, wearing shorts or light color clothes. In my opnion the white dial is hard to fit with dark clothes ( I only wear dark clothes at night LOL). What do you guys think? Should I get the 15400 SS black or blue because I can swim with it and also wear at night..etc.. or I should get the 15400or black dial which I can't swim but on the other hand is very nice..etc. ? The 15400 all gold inclusive the band is out of my limit.

Thanks everyone.
The Royal oak blues are incredible, If I was to get a RO no way it would be other than blue dial
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 05:46 PM   #47
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could put the Daytona on a leather strap, which looks really nice, and have the 15400 with the bracelet. The RO bracelet really pulls the aesthetics of the watch together, IMO.
I agree that if I was to buy a RO I would need 2 things, first blue dial, and second metal bracelet, if one of these 2 things aren't there no thanks, even if they are still very cool on strap it's a RO, the bracelet is 40% of the interest for this watch
Old 16 January 2015, 05:47 PM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimps View Post
The blue dial doesn't seem to be boutique only. I'm sure some ADs sell them too
I think I saw a few on Chrono 24...
Old 16 January 2015, 08:42 PM   #49
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I agree that if I was to buy a RO I would need 2 things, first blue dial, and second metal bracelet, if one of these 2 things aren't there no thanks, even if they are still very cool on strap it's a RO, the bracelet is 40% of the interest for this watch
Thanks Arnaud. So, you prefer the SS one over the RG with leather strap, don't you? Not sure if I can buy the RG and then buy a gold bracelet ( not now lol). Is it much more expensive buying separately ?
Old 16 January 2015, 11:50 PM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

The RG bracelet costs around £16k/$24K, I'd rather have a preowned Nautilus I told the Marcus sales lady! lol!
Old 17 January 2015, 06:40 AM   #51
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I vote blue because it's awesome!
Old 26 February 2015, 03:58 AM   #52
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Hi all. Just to let you guys know, I ended up buying the 15400 black dial and im very happy! I did prefer the blue but I wouldn't pay 17,800 usd for a bnib or 14k usd for a used one. So I bought a bnib 15400 black dial from Vince Belissima - Timepiece Perfection ( not sure if he is member of TRF but Dan, his partner, is ! Smooth transaction, very polite seller with a very great communication ! I do recommend to everyone, 100%!!

Thank you guys so much for the help!!

Old 26 February 2015, 05:39 AM   #53
vinceb
2024 Pledge Member

Ricardo,
thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy the watch. I've been meaning to register over here so what better time. I will be posting offerings so keep your eye out for my stuff and if anyone is looking for something please let me know how to help. Just PM or email me vincetpp@comcast.net
vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 06:30 AM   #54
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I would go with the black dial as no real point paying the premium for the blue. Also, my 15300 wears like a 41 mm. I don't really feel much of a difference between it size-wise and my DJII.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 08:11 PM   #55
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Great choice mine says hello, we have no boutiques in Australia, as such no blue dials, I would prefer blue but to me it would 500-1000 difference not more. Have a blue ALS now so all is good in my colour world. I would never want this watch on leather as I think the band is the most amazing part. you rub your finger across it and it feels like shark skin ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP5.jpg (78.8 KB, 116 views)
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 08:50 PM   #56
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Quote:
There's a conversion kit that fits a SS 15400 that you can pickup from APBands.com ....haven't seen the parts in person, but it seems like people have given it good reviews for its quality. It's $439 for the kit on their website.

http://apbands.com/shop/merchant.mvc...roduct_Count=2

I didn't have a good experience with AP bands so buyer beware

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 01:03 AM   #57
RICARDOVASCO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
I didn't have a good experience with AP bands so buyer beware
What happened to your watch?
Old 27 February 2015, 02:48 AM   #58
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its stunning ! However its out of my budget ; (
People dont read the actual posts on here they just jump to typing

To answer your actual questions....

1. The bracelets are overrated, finishing is nice but they arent as comfortable or easy to micro adjust as Rolex for example

2. Gold is beautiful and special, and different

3. Gold on leather would be deadly and the way to go.
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 06:08 AM   #59
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I would go with the full RG APRO and never swim with it .. if it's in budget. If not then blue 15400 on bracelet would be my choice.
Old 27 February 2015, 07:54 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon123456 View Post
People dont read the actual posts on here they just jump to typingTo answer your actual questions....

1. The bracelets are overrated, finishing is nice but they arent as comfortable or easy to micro adjust as Rolex for example

2. Gold is beautiful and special, and different

3. Gold on leather would be deadly and the way to go.
He already bought the watch